Festie - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Proteus93 on 09-10-2008)
Reviews by obywan59:
2.96/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Born on date 7/31/13

Pours a crystal clear amber with a 2 1/2 finger off white head that recedes leaving thick sticky lacing.

A nice fresh aroma of grassy, fruity hops and sweet grain.

Not much taste at all. Faintly sweet malt with light tart citrus and some faint, slightly harsh bitter hops.

Light bodied, with a light carbonation and a bit sticky with a little warmth on the way down.

An okay beer, I guess. The taste is the main downfall. I think it's past it's prime. The aroma is holding up pretty well, but the tasty is pretty nondescript. An easy drinker.

obywan59, Oct 09, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Its getting to the end of the O-fest beer season so I figured I'd grab this one today.Poured a clear lighter shade of bronze with a nice one finger tight white head that was gone pretty quickly.Aromas of caramel/vanilla,and toasted grain mainly.A light sharp mouthfeel was kind of annoying,flaovrs were really mild with some residual caramel sweetness and that toasted grain again,the flavors were very light.A pretty average beer,not one to seek out.

oberon, Oct 29, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

GiannaG, Apr 14, 2012

jonphilipp, Jul 08, 2012
1.65/5  rDev -47.3%

A- Very clear light copper with a one inch white head of small bubbles than fades slowly leaving nice lacing. Little light in color but good other than that.

S- Weird smell of sweet corn, caramel and Italian herb mix. Definitely something funky and off about this.

T- Whoa, that off smell is in the flavor too. Tannic and puckering with a flavor of bark and tomatoes.

M- Dry and astringent. Not very pleasant.

O- There is something wrong with this beer. I can't put my finger on it, maybe an infection, maybe just a combination of an old poorly made beer with some DMS, either way this is down there with some of the least enjoyable ones I've had. This was a dumper.

Guden, Nov 03, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

tripelz, Nov 03, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours slightly cloudy golden tan. A thin off white head fades to a clumpy lace quickly.

The smell is grain, without hops. It isn't bad grain.

The taste is at first sweet grain, with a light hops showing up at the end of the sip as the beer heads down the throat.

The mouthfeel is just a little sour after the ending hop taste. I like the sweet grain, so your mileage may vary.

This would be a great step-up for a bud drinker who wanted to head towards a mild pale ale. I would call this halfway between the two.

TheFunGuy, Dec 28, 2011

Bike2work, Apr 19, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

amstokesdb9, Feb 02, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

dmk91, Dec 31, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle purchased from 1 West in Washington DC.

Pours a hazy copper-brown color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of slightly sour fruit, herbal hops, and light caramel malts.

Tastes not so great. Light caramel malt flavors up front fight to stay relevant after the sour fruit flavors enter into things midway through the sip. Right before a muddled and slightly bitter ending a small amount of leafy hop flavors come out.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side but with solid carbonation.

Drinkability isn't so good. I didn't finish.

Overall this was not a very good beer and one I won't revisit again.

glid02, Oct 13, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a hazy orange-rust color with a head that was big and billowy for about 10 seconds but then withered away to almost nothing (it's a clean glass!). A few dabs of lace slide slowly down the sides with each tilt of the glass.

Where I was hoping for that big bread-and-caramel nose of the great Oktoberfests, I was treated to a rather flat aroma that offers faint cooked veggies and tangy fruit. Only a ghost of what my nose was nosin' around for appears. "Judge it for what it is," right? Okay: it's severely lacking.

Flavor-wise it's no better. There might be a good beer here, but what I mostly get is a fruit-candy sweetness and a tart-to-sour jab middle, back, and into the finish. Luckily there's no real finish here at all, so the bad impressions don't last.

Mouthfeel is just fine, with zippy carbonation and a good slick glide. If I try and turn off the taste buds, it feels like a good example of the real deal.

This is all over the place, way off-style, and not a good beer in any category. The exact opposite of "spot-on." There's always a chance it's been ruined somehow since leaving the brewery, but I can only take it at face value.

[Threw a couple of these into a couple different trade boxes as a "bonus" the other day...they're already on the way! Good thing I've already traded with the recipients a few other times--they'll forgive me I hope--but guys: I AM SORRY.]

Metalmonk, Oct 22, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

A - clear amber with a soft, thin cap of white, fizzy heaed that fades quickly

S - grains, caramel, apple, faint toast

T - bread, caramel, apple, sweet, sticky, clean bitter finish

M - crisp, medium bodied, a bit overcarbonated

This is a nice, easy to drink beer. the flavor is a bit unbalanced between malty and hoppy, bitter and sweet. It's also a bit overcarbonated. It's not bad, but at this time of year I'm looking for a more balanced Marzen.

tdm168, Sep 29, 2012

hyoung41, Nov 29, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

HuntDaddy540, Apr 28, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a light golden color into a pint glass. There is a two finger head which quickly dissipates. The smell is nothing special.

There is a slight hint of malt, but otherwise just the standard lager smell.

The taste is light, perhaps a note of caramel, but overall it tastes like a more malty version of Starr Hill's Jomo lager. Although the taste is nothing special, it is enjoyable, and very easy to drink. It bill's itself as an Oktoberfest, but I'm not sure how accurate that may be.

I'd drink it again, although I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

ebby82, Aug 21, 2010

Thomas0790, Jul 22, 2014

rvajohn, Feb 02, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Let me get this out of the way....I have a Starr Hill Tattoo. I also have 1/2 a case of Festie aging in a closet from 2011 but that didn't stop me from picking up this bottle a few weeks ago on clearance for $1. My therapist may call it compulsive buying and hoarding but I call it bargain shopping and aging! AND don't bother trying to tell me you can't age a 4.5% beer because there ain't enough time in her hour to discuss how you all are unsupportive of me....

I am drinking it out of A Samuel Smith pint glass. It has nice amber color. Very little carbonation and no lacing....Which I don't mind cause I hate scrubbing my glass. It has a bit of a skunked smell with just a hint of that fermented smell a Belgian would have. It tastes like almost nothing...I don't know how to describe this but it tastes almost like any old amber then nothing...not after taste at all. You know how if you drink diet coke the taste goes away so you drink more then no taste so more and then more until you know it the bottle is gone? I need another beer...

PumaSaysRawrr, Mar 18, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

Kmlund, Oct 03, 2013

dexterk1, Dec 01, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

johnpdennis, Aug 04, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pours a honey color with a bright white head that leaves no lacing.

S: Subtle sweet malt aroma with a bit of fruitiness. Metallic note in the end.

T: Not much flavor. Subtle sweet malt with a bit of cooked corn thrown in. Kind of a sour pucker in the end.

O: Not my favorite marzen. Just kind of misses the mark on this one. A little less sweetness and a stronger malt presence is what this brew needs.

rebel1771, Oct 25, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

zp6167a, Feb 26, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Once again a thanks to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of caramel malts. Taste is also malty, refreshing, a touch of caramel. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable brew.

tone77, Sep 03, 2011