Festie - Starr Hill Brewery

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Proteus93 on 09-10-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.18/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass. Taken from a Starr Hill "Road Show" variety pack.

Appearance: Pours a light brown, slightly reddish color. Has a small, fizzy head that dissipates down to next to nothing.

Smell: Has a light, slightly sweet, grainy aroma.

Taste: Has a slightly bitter, spicy hoppiness. Finishes sweet and grainy with a slight caramel flavor. A lot lighter on flavor then I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and well-carbonated with a light body.

Overall: I'm really disappointed with this one. Starr Hill is a sentimental favorite since it's fairly local but this one just isn't that good. I think they would have been better off brewing a more traditional Marzen/Oktoberfest style rather than a kind of generic amber lager.

2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Let me get this out of the way....I have a Starr Hill Tattoo. I also have 1/2 a case of Festie aging in a closet from 2011 but that didn't stop me from picking up this bottle a few weeks ago on clearance for $1. My therapist may call it compulsive buying and hoarding but I call it bargain shopping and aging! AND don't bother trying to tell me you can't age a 4.5% beer because there ain't enough time in her hour to discuss how you all are unsupportive of me....

I am drinking it out of A Samuel Smith pint glass. It has nice amber color. Very little carbonation and no lacing....Which I don't mind cause I hate scrubbing my glass. It has a bit of a skunked smell with just a hint of that fermented smell a Belgian would have. It tastes like almost nothing...I don't know how to describe this but it tastes almost like any old amber then nothing...not after taste at all. You know how if you drink diet coke the taste goes away so you drink more then no taste so more and then more until you know it the bottle is gone? I need another beer...

3.7/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours slightly cloudy golden tan. A thin off white head fades to a clumpy lace quickly.

The smell is grain, without hops. It isn't bad grain.

The taste is at first sweet grain, with a light hops showing up at the end of the sip as the beer heads down the throat.

The mouthfeel is just a little sour after the ending hop taste. I like the sweet grain, so your mileage may vary.

This would be a great step-up for a bud drinker who wanted to head towards a mild pale ale. I would call this halfway between the two.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last