Lucy - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: CrellMoset on 12-14-2008

Formerly "Lucy (in the Sky with Diamonds)"
to view more.
Ratings: 70 | Reviews: 42
Reviews by russwaddell:
3.05/5  rDev +18.2%

Any info about the style is tucked away in small print on the individual bottles, so I'd avoided this beer until I got a Starr Hill mix pack.

The pour says pilsner. Big but fizzy head. Yellow.

More spice than beer to the smell. Tons of ginger. Crisp

Taste is pretty bland. The ginger comes through more in the smell than the taste. Bit of a generic "yellow beer" aftertaste would be better with more spice or more beeriness.

Drinkability is high except for the aftertaste. I could pound a ton of these without thinking about it. Reminds me of a Bud Light Lime with some ginger and a little more body.

Overall, I'd probably not drink this again. There are better spiced beers, better summer beers, and better ginger beers widely available. Starr Hill makes some great brews and some that really test my regional loyalty to mid-Atlantic beers. This is closer to the latter.

3.12/5  rDev +20.9%

12 oz bottle from mixed "Summer Tour" 12-pack dated best by 17 Dec. 2011. Served in a pint glass. Newer label than shown on BA.

Pours a more-or-less clear golden straw color with a small and short-lived white head. Visible carbonation is very fine-grained. No significant sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S - unusual bright, spicy aroma: has citrus (mainly lime) elements. ginger, lavender, and ... ah, some elements like those from incense found in some Asian shops. [checks brewer's website, finding "spiced with ginger, lime, and coriander"]. Overall, smells too heavily spiced. Some malt appears after warming. More intriguing than promising. ... but ...

T - A spiced ale for sure, but the spicing, though considerable, is not over the top. Plenty of lime and ginger, with the coriander (and lavender, ha) more in the background. Good spicy finish and a nice aftertaste largely reflecting the spices.

M - medium-light body; nice carbonation level; slightly astringent; some tactile effects of the ginger; semi-dry finish.

O - An intriguing and distinctive ale that I expect will be loved by many and disliked by plenty of others, including anyone who dislikes ginger. I'm in the middle somewhere, with the ale becoming more appealing with further consumption.

1.76/5  rDev -31.8%

oh....Starr Hill what have you done? I always considered Starr Hill(despite their AB distribution) a perfectly average brewery until I met Lucy.

A-Not bad, kind of a murky straw color, with a quickly dissipating 1/2" of head.

S-yeah...maybe lime concentrate of the household cleaner variety.

T-Like a mojito without the rum,mint, and good

M-Can't really concentrate on it due to the taste. I suppose thin and watery

D-I'm very disappointed I bought a sixer without knowing what I was getting. I can't imagine what to do with five more bottles of this swill.

Lucy makes me want to step up to the High Life. What the duece Starr Hill?

2.27/5  rDev -12%

The color is a clear pale yellow or faint gold. There is a thin head on the pour that quickly disappears to nothing. The aroma is citrus and mild spice. The taste has a strong lime component with noticeable ginger. The lime/ginger take over and don't allow the grain to come through. The mouthfeel is light and a bit sour.

3.52/5  rDev +36.4%

Starr Hill Lucy is a mild beer with a hint of lime. Enjoy it in the summer.

A: Orange colour and decent sized head that fades to poor lacing. 3.5

S: A little bit malty with some spiciness too (maybe rosemary). 4

T: The main taste in the beginning is a tangy spiciness that I assume is the lime and yeast. This is a very mild beer and there isn't much else going on. 3.5

M: Quite foamy. 3.5

O: Nice and light. 3

2.06/5  rDev -20.2%

Another surprise keg that I was able to try over the weekend. I had never heard of this one to be honest so I had no idea what I was getting into. Wish I had as it was easily the most unpleasant part of my weekend. Decent pour here, dare I say even good with a very clear and bright golden amber that was crowned with a big white head of foam that quickly settled own and left behind little in the way of lacing but a nice puff of white on top to keep it interesting. Aroma is odd. Lots of ginger and I now see where this is going. Light fruity notes, hints of lemon zest and loads of ginger, totally one sided. As I take the first sip, wow, not good. So much off, almost unnatural flavor that it blinds me to everything else in the room. Just so sweet, and this is from a person who likes sweeter ales and stouts, so bad I could not get through it. Dry and quick finish, thankfully but wow, that flavor I just could not get out of my head.

Overall a train wreck, totally unbalanced and off, just not at all what I was looking for or what I would want.

3.26/5  rDev +26.4%

a: hazy golden yellow in color, capped with a decent white head, good retention

s: lime and ginger juice on an extremely clean wheat body leaves little evidence of a beery underside, but the aromas are actually nice and fresh - poor showing for an ale, but good showing for a juice cocktail?, subdued herbal hop aromas

m: carbonation on the high end, light body

t: clean wheat body, fresh lime juice, popsicle in beer form, some ginger but I'd like the spice to hit a little more - if you're gonna take it this far might as well go all the way (?), lightly bittered, crisp finish dries well

d: not entirely sure what to make of this, but consumed directly from the fridge and quite cold, it's actually not half bad for a light, summer fruit concoction (with alcohol) and I could probably take down a 12 pack of these in the right circumstance, I don't pick up on the unnatural or sweet flavors that others do - and I'd take this over any macro lager 100 percent of the time

single from Norm's, Vienna, VA

3.02/5  rDev +17.1%

On-tap at Nationals Park, Washington, DC

A: The beer poured clear pale yellow in color with not much of a head. A light amount of carbonation is visible.
S: The aroma is rather unique and refreshing. It smells almost like lemon sorbet.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste is rather lemony and malty with notes of ginger and lime.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate.
D: If you don't mind the lime flavors, this isn't a bad beer to have on a hot summer day.

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Clear pale yellow color. Two fingers of pillowy head with average retention. A bit of lacing.

3.5 S: Smells more than a little like ginger ale.

3.5 T: Tastes like ginger ale too.

3.5 M: Lighter body. Same mouthfeel as ginger ale.

4.0 D: This is ginger ale. I like ginger ale, so drinkable.

2.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Lucy Starr Hill ABV: 4.4%

A: The appearance of this beer looks like you typical light beer. Pours a minimal head that falls quickly to an almost non-existent head.

S: The beer has a very distinctive smell to it. has a lemon and grassy smell that just lingers in your nose. Also, I am not going to lie. After you smell it for about 5 seconds or more, I kind of picked up a throw up smell. The smell is not too advertising to me.

T: Has a light beer taste with a lemon kick to it. Not too impressed with the taste; however, it is not disgusting.

M-D: The beer does coat the palate and goes down the throat rather smoothly. Once you take a sip of the beer, you get the carbonated feel in the mouth and that is about it. Would I buy again? ummm.... maybe, but I would prefer another beer. I could not drink too much of it though.

3.92/5  rDev +51.9%

A: Pours a mildly hazy, glowing yellow-orange. The tall, off-white head has a fluffy, foamy texture. Retention is solid, and numerous specks of lacing are spattered across the sides of the glass.

S: Spicy hints of ginger and lime are most prevalent. Some mild sugar cookie maltiness as well. A mild, herbal hop note along with some musty/dusty spice notes.

T: A spicy, refreshing burst up front. Ginger is first and foremost, but some tart lime flavor is also front and center. Light pale maltiness provides some sweetness and mostly stays out of the way. Some mild coriander complements a light herbal hop kiss.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is on the perky side, and is appropriate for the flavor. A refreshing, spicy dryness into the finish.

D: This may not get too much recognition, but this is a nice addition as a refreshing summer brew. Maybe I'm just a fan of ginger as a brewing spice, but this works pretty well.

There is only one word to really describe this beer. Atrocious.

It is pale to the point of being a macro lager, smells like Toilet Duck and tastes like washing up liquid. Apparently brewed with coriander, ginger and lime, the balance is completely out of whack, add to that the use of Cascade hops and you get the picture. Foul beyond belief.

3.63/5  rDev +40.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

I wonder why they originally went with the LSD on this one... It pours a hazy pale straw topped by a finger or so of white micro-foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, coriander, a touch of cardamom, and plenty o' wheat and rice cakes. The taste follows pretty closely, though some lime finds its way in as well, giving the citrus-y notes the upper hand in the Anchorman-style brawl. In the end, a slightly citrus-centric wheat-ish flavor ensues. The body is pretty light, with a light carbonation and a fairly refreshing feel and finish. Not a bad Summer brew, especially considering the somewhat lackluster offerings from the Hill.

3.11/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: pours a golden yellow color with a 1" head that slowly falls.

Smell: ginger, lemon and lime citrus, and a hint of floral hop bitterness are easy to detect.

Taste: mild malt profile with pears, ginger, hint of lime, lemon zest, and a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp throughout. Long lasting aftertaste with citrus and ginger.

Drinkability: this was not very tasty or refreshing as I hoped for. Slow sipping beer due to the spiced flavors.

3.27/5  rDev +26.7%

After reading a few reviews, I tend to disagree with the majority. This beer is not that bad. Pours a hazy straw color with a big heavily carbonated bubbly white head. Head retention is about average. Good rings of lacing around the glass. The ginger and lime smell is quite prominent - maybe not what most people like but it is pleasant enough and gets your attention.

Taste is about average...Tastes like a lager with some ginger and lime flavoring. The bitterness is grassy hops and is very light.

Mouthfeel is about average for a lager-like tasting beer. Drinkability is ok. This is light enough for a session beer and I could see pitchers of this to cool off an attack on a plate of wings. Not great but not a drain pour either.

1.16/5  rDev -55%

Lucy, oh Lucy. You used to ride the sky with diamonds. Now you apparently sanitize toilets.

A - This 'brew' pours a thin golden-yellow that looks quite similar to unfrozen yellow snow.

S - The aroma is strangely familiar, hmmm... where have I smelled it before? Oh, I know, it was the last time I used a public urinal, that's it! Seriously, did anyone taste or smell this stuff before it left the brewery?

T - Okay, it smells like a sanitizing cake from a men's urinal. Thankfully, I have no idea what that tastes like. Anyhow, I imagine this brew can't possibly taste as gross as it smells. The imagination is a funny thing though... it can lead you far far from reality. It took the nose and ran with it. To sum it up: this stuff tastes like a cocktail of BMC aged on household cleaners.

M - Creepy. I hope that is the first and last time I use that adjective regarding a brew.

D - Forget drain-pour; this is instant projectile-vomiting material. This is take the keg out and blow it to pieces with your AK material. Perhaps it would be a good substitute for ipecac syrup in a pinch. Foul.

Oh yeah, it was on-tap at Willard's. Everyone was horrified.

1.26/5  rDev -51.2%

My sample was a 12 ounce bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A - light straw with small amount of head but no retention.

S - I thought something was wrong with my olfactory senses when I caught a whiff of this brew. It smelled like Desitin baby ointment.

T - unfortunately, the taste matched the smell of this brew; it had a very artificial (plastic maybe?) flavor.

M - it was light-textured beer with respectable amounts of carbonation; under other circumstances, this might be an easy-drinking beer

D - The taste of this one overpowered any chance of this becoming a "lawnmower beer". It was smooth, but that did not compensate for the incredibly odd taste.

3.06/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Pale golden, more or less clear. Head is initially thick, but it drops down to a quarter finger.
S- Smell is really leaning toward the citrus (apparently they used lime), and the ginger is coming through nicely. Not much beer presence on the nose, though there is a bit of a sweetness on the nose.
T- Initially grainy, but the lime takes over quickly. The lime dominates the flavor until the long ginger finish. According to their website it is hopped with Cascade, but you could have fooled me. There was just a faint metallic tint to it as well.
M- Light bodied, kinda foamy actually. Finish was drying.
O- Reasonably thirst quenching. I would have liked them to dial back the lime a bit, as I felt that they nailed the ginger aspect pretty well, but it took too much backseat to the lime. Decent summer thirst quencher I guess.

2.77/5  rDev +7.4%

From notes from wayyy back in the beginning of the summer.

A=Pours a clear straw color
S=A very citric smell, some ginger and spice. Intriguing...
T=Meh. Lemon up front, very weak, the lime overpowers, unfortunately this doesn't even taste really like beer. Very fruity, but very weak.
M=A bit overboard on carbonation, almost to a soda like level.
D=the taste is a killer, but from a pure drinkability standpoint I could quaff several of these very easily.
One of my first non BMC purchases after turning 21. Very, very disappointing. Even my unrefined palate from 7 months ago, aspiring to write relevant reviews could recognize how bad this was. I love Starr Hill, but this one was a mistake. Stick to Dark Starr or the Jomo Lager.

2.97/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance - Clouded straw, quickly dissipating offwhite head. Little lacing to none.
Smell - Coriander, lime, ginger. The more one smells this the heavier the lime becomes.
Taste - Lots of lime, some grain. It tastes like someone squeezed a bottle of lime flavoring into a relatively unremarkable beer; which I guess is basically what happened.
Mouthfeel - Light bodied, crisp.
Drinkability - Easy drinking at first, though the more one has the more the lime aspect dominates the beer. Since I didn't find the lime aspect very successful it certainly reduced how much I wanted of this beer. I wouldn't want to session this even though it's only 4.4%.

2.55/5  rDev -1.2%

A-clear with a little gold
S - over powering spice, malt, flower, sweet smell
m - poor, it tasted flat or mold like. lemon/curtis
O - not my favorite Starr Hill beer. I have had it at Starr Hill on a very hot day and I really enjoyed it there , but I would not buy a six pack of it. the wife likes it, but she really doesn't like beer, so there you go.

GO Buffs!

2.83/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Clear yellow color with some carbonation and a slight head.
S: Smells very hoppy and has some notes of spices to it.
T: Mild ginger flavor coupled with a slight maltiness. The flavor is not very robust.
D/O: This beer is very crisp and refreshing but does not have a lot of flavor considering the contents. Very light and doesnt fill up your mouth.

1.34/5  rDev -48.1%

A- Pours into a tulip a very light golden blonde color, and crystal clear. 2 finger head has decent retention, but only small clumps of lace are left behind.

S- Uh Oh... smells like a train wreck. Fake lime, stale spices, and soap. In fact, it smells almost exactly like a cheap $1 margarita that was served to you in a glass that didn't have to soap rinsed out of it. Doesn't bode well...

F- Every bit as bad as the aroma.... and then some. Add a bit of ginger spice to the mix, and there is just a shitstorm of poor flavors in here. Each flavor component tastes fake, and feels forced. On top of that, there is nothing that even begins to resemble balance. I understand what they're going for, but I can't possibly imagine making this worse.

M- Thin, over carbonated.

D- Poor.... Drain pour that is....

I'm honestly a little shocked. Normally Starr Hill puts out some beers that are decent (not earth shattering, but pretty decent). This is most certainly NOT one of those beers. Jesus... I want my $9 back. Quite possibly the single worst "beer" that I have ever tasted. Absolutely terrible.

3.93/5  rDev +52.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Poured well, two fingers of head which stuck around for a while.

Appearance: This beer is really carbonated. The first thing you notice are the bubbles which continue to rise for minutes after pouring. Colour is a strange, almost sickly, yellow. Not entirely pleasant.

Smell: Smells great! The herbs make Lucy smell less like a beer than a food dish or perhaps a garden. There's coriander and a spice I can't quite place - parsley or basil perhaps?

Taste/Mouthfeel: My first impression was that it tasted like a seasoning you might put on lamb or steak. The next few sips accustomed me to a strange beer - very light, very bubbly, and very...herbal. Upon reading the label on the bottle ("Ale brewed with Ginger, Lime Flavor, and Coriander"), I place the taste: ginger. This tastes more like ginger ale than ginger ale and the carbonation only enhances the perception. I like it.

Drinkability: A beer for warmer weather. I think it would go great with a meal of red meat and fresh picked vegetables, maybe onions. I would definitely drink this beer again, but maybe not the same night.

1.72/5  rDev -33.3%

S - Yuck
T - Yuck
M - Yuck
D - Yuck

Ok, seriously, what were they thinking? This beer was drain-pour material. I gave it good scores for appearance. From a distance it looked like any number of others, good and bad. It smelled bad and tasted worse. I couldn't pick out the ginger or coriander, but the lime was there and dominated, which is why it's reminded beer tasters of cleaning products. Terrible, save your time, your money, your tongue, your self.

to view more.