Double Platinum - Starr Hill Brewery

Double PlatinumDouble Platinum

good

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: Dreadnaught33 on 02-03-2011)

GaryMarkle84, Aug 19, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

GrantBrennan, Jul 30, 2012

SlaughteredWolf, Jul 29, 2012

Kmccabe33, Jul 13, 2012

rhhjr, Jul 12, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

When I poured this beer, I wasn't able to pour the whole thing in one go, the head was too plentiful. Not sure if that's a characteristic of the beer or of how bad I am at pouring beers. Once it was all in the glass, the beer had a dark amber hue underneath the billowing white head.

The beer doesn't have a strong smell to me, or perhaps it's user error again and summer allergies are rendering my nose useless. What I could smell was a little bit of hops but also a little something else balancing it out.

The beer has the distinct hops bite that would be expected from a double IPA, but it is more forgiving than other beers in this category. Expect the hops to really hit you on the aftertaste.

What has ultimately sold me on this beer is the mouthfeel. It's creamy and full-bodied and seems to occupy every nook and cranny of your head. Overall I enjoyed this beer, it was a lot of fun to drink!

dontpanic5, Jun 27, 2012

CarolinaKev, Jun 18, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +28%

insocova, Jun 14, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours an orangeish amber with a good size white head. Smells of citrus and floral notes, slight grain smell. Tastes of malt with great hop bite, slight citrus notes, great balance. Medium bodied beer goes down very smooth, great carbonation, and not much of an alcohol aftertaste. Overall, a very good beer.

cyclonece09, Jun 06, 2012

ipahead, May 20, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -23.2%

S: Orange rind, some grapefruit, solid malt profile

L: Hazy golden orange, creamy whit head with great retention. Solid lacing.

T: Sweet maltiness with lots of orange rind like hoppiness. Medium bitterness with a prominent maltiness. Finishes semi-dry and malty with orange rind notes.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Alcohol fairly well hidden.

Meh, not very hoppy, i may need to try a fresher bottle.

bum732, May 19, 2012

avisong, May 08, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Mvacco, May 06, 2012

Beerfoot20, May 06, 2012

PaBeerLover, May 02, 2012

richkrull, Apr 30, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a bottle gotten via trade from Hanzo, thanks!

A: A medium amber orange color with a one finger nice white head. Full glass lacing sticks.

S: Nice citrus hops with some pine notes and caramel sweetness. Nice smelling beer.

T: Citrus hops with flavors of grapefruit and orange mix with some earthy pine notes and even some floral qualities. The sweetness is thick and caramel like and stays with the hops. Finish turns a bit bitter, but not mouth scathingly so. I think it is a very balanced DIPA. Some slight alcohol on the finish.

M: Meduim, sticky, prickly and some alcohol. Nice.

O: A real enjoyable DIPA that was nothing but solid.

Overall a beer that I was glad to try and I enjoyed it. Will it win any prizes? No, but if I were local I would drink it anytime anywhere as it was a solid offering. Glad I had it.

Kadonny, Apr 27, 2012

Hanzo, Apr 25, 2012

pirmannt1, Apr 22, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From reading the other reviews, I feel like I am slamming this D-IPA, but I am being honest about my sample. I enjoy the other Starr Hill IPA, but this one just didnt work for me. Except for the fact is was beautiful in the glass.

A- Exploded from the bottle and spilled onto the floor and into the glass a brilliant, hazy amber color. Really thick foam and nice lacing. This might be the best looking IPA I have seen.

S- Here is where this pretty peach starts to sour - The smell is very light to begin with, but it is citrus and hops with... alcohol.

T- Why so boozy? I have had plenty of 8.5+ D-IPAs with no hint of booze. This one tastes like I licked the bottom of a Jack Daniels shot glass. There is a taste of really bitter hops and pine, with a trace of bread/malt. Aftertaste is nothing but booze.

M- Too much bite. Heavy carbonation on the front and back of this one. Burns the throat and the booze burns the tongue.

O- I suppose I might have gotten ahold of a bad one, but this wasnt a great experience. Still, being objective, I would take this over any standard Bud/Miller product.

HoppySailor, Apr 19, 2012

Bike2work, Apr 19, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Ted, Apr 05, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Definitely the best brew I've had from Starr Hill and a quality D-IPA in its own right. Gorgeous in the glass, the smell belies the citrus-pine taste ... then again, my smeller is dulled by a cold so I may revise when I'm healthy again. Back to the taste -- so good! I get a nice bitterness on the front with a LONG grapefruit finish. Great work Starr Hill! I'd definitely drink this Double Platinum every day.

IPAaDay, Apr 01, 2012