Double Platinum - Starr Hill Brewery

Double PlatinumDouble Platinum

good

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: Dreadnaught33 on 02-03-2011)
bum732

Lesotho

2.85/5  rDev -23.2%

S: Orange rind, some grapefruit, solid malt profile

L: Hazy golden orange, creamy whit head with great retention. Solid lacing.

T: Sweet maltiness with lots of orange rind like hoppiness. Medium bitterness with a prominent maltiness. Finishes semi-dry and malty with orange rind notes.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Alcohol fairly well hidden.

Meh, not very hoppy, i may need to try a fresher bottle.

05-19-2012 02:50:16 | More by bum732

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

04-29-2012 23:54:58 | More by richkrull
Kadonny

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a bottle gotten via trade from Hanzo, thanks!

A: A medium amber orange color with a one finger nice white head. Full glass lacing sticks.

S: Nice citrus hops with some pine notes and caramel sweetness. Nice smelling beer.

T: Citrus hops with flavors of grapefruit and orange mix with some earthy pine notes and even some floral qualities. The sweetness is thick and caramel like and stays with the hops. Finish turns a bit bitter, but not mouth scathingly so. I think it is a very balanced DIPA. Some slight alcohol on the finish.

M: Meduim, sticky, prickly and some alcohol. Nice.

O: A real enjoyable DIPA that was nothing but solid.

Overall a beer that I was glad to try and I enjoyed it. Will it win any prizes? No, but if I were local I would drink it anytime anywhere as it was a solid offering. Glad I had it.

04-27-2012 12:57:40 | More by Kadonny
Hanzo

04-25-2012 00:48:57 | More by Hanzo
pirmannt1

04-22-2012 20:12:33 | More by pirmannt1
HoppySailor

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

From reading the other reviews, I feel like I am slamming this D-IPA, but I am being honest about my sample. I enjoy the other Starr Hill IPA, but this one just didnt work for me. Except for the fact is was beautiful in the glass.

A- Exploded from the bottle and spilled onto the floor and into the glass a brilliant, hazy amber color. Really thick foam and nice lacing. This might be the best looking IPA I have seen.

S- Here is where this pretty peach starts to sour - The smell is very light to begin with, but it is citrus and hops with... alcohol.

T- Why so boozy? I have had plenty of 8.5+ D-IPAs with no hint of booze. This one tastes like I licked the bottom of a Jack Daniels shot glass. There is a taste of really bitter hops and pine, with a trace of bread/malt. Aftertaste is nothing but booze.

M- Too much bite. Heavy carbonation on the front and back of this one. Burns the throat and the booze burns the tongue.

O- I suppose I might have gotten ahold of a bad one, but this wasnt a great experience. Still, being objective, I would take this over any standard Bud/Miller product.

04-19-2012 22:11:12 | More by HoppySailor
Bike2work

04-19-2012 19:47:22 | More by Bike2work
Ted

04-05-2012 22:45:04 | More by Ted
IPAaDay

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Definitely the best brew I've had from Starr Hill and a quality D-IPA in its own right. Gorgeous in the glass, the smell belies the citrus-pine taste ... then again, my smeller is dulled by a cold so I may revise when I'm healthy again. Back to the taste -- so good! I get a nice bitterness on the front with a LONG grapefruit finish. Great work Starr Hill! I'd definitely drink this Double Platinum every day.

04-01-2012 19:31:37 | More by IPAaDay
Beer4Baltimore

03-31-2012 11:12:40 | More by Beer4Baltimore
LUCASRJ2002

Germany

03-27-2012 00:48:03 | More by LUCASRJ2002
C20Percent

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper-gold-amber with a .25 finger's worth of bubbly egg shell colored foam on top. Minimal bubble action in the body with some noticeable sediment floating around also. Looks crisp. Looks refreshing. I think the lacing will tell the full story.

S: Aroma that stands out the most is the sweet, caramel malt. Some citrus notes coming through as well -- some grapefruit, pineapple, some tropical stuff. But, mostly the sweet stuff. I'd say this is good.

T: Malt bomb. Mostly the sweet stuff. Overpowering the hops and citrus. An earthy taste coming through. Kinda rusty. Metallic. Funny -- the finish is a sweet dryness. Kind of like it. But, yeah, caramel malt and some fruitiness. Not bad for a local IPA or DIPA. I like Corruption and Bitter Valentine better, but this is a good offering.

M: Smooth and creamy -- medium bodied brew. Perfect carbonation. Oily texture. Interesting -- the chewiness enhances the fullness of the body instead of spotlighting the alcohol or maltiness. I'd say the feel is really really good.

T: I fell in love with this brew the first time I tried it, and gave it a 5! But, I was new to reviewing craft beer, and I always felt I should give Double Platinum another look. I was right -- it's not the perfect beer I thought it was, but it's pretty good I feel. For a local -- for an East Coast IPA. Especially from a Southern state; this is good.

03-19-2012 19:34:17 | More by C20Percent
polopaul20

03-01-2012 14:01:32 | More by polopaul20
AndrewMichael

02-22-2012 01:36:00 | More by AndrewMichael
rhartogsq

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

A. Cloudy orange/copper. Really long lasting lacing.
S. I don't pull a lungent hop smell, but nice
T. Strong hop presence, a grapefruit undertone.
M. I am horrible at describing mouth feel. Feels nice though.

My favorite Starr Hill offering. I am very surprised by this beer....in a good way.

02-16-2012 00:35:21 | More by rhartogsq
Crazyale

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Pours a dark cloudy orange, with a two-finger head. The thick head and cloudiness distinguish this beer from many others in the style.

S: Strong aroma of grapefruit and lemon up front, with some syrupy maltiness in the background. Very complex aroma actually, some honey and pine come through as well.

T: Bitter hops predominate at first, followed by a coating of honey on the back of the tongue. Citrus comes through as well, with just a slight hint of pine. Orange seems to predominate more than grapefruit. Fairly well balanced, although I feel that the bitterness is a bit too harsh compared with some of the top DIPAs. I should point out that while this is supposed to be good for another two months per the label, I have no idea when it was bottled and thus how fresh it is. I suspect that it's at least a month old, however, if not 2-3 months.

M: Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium, fairly typical for the style.

Overall, this is an excellent DIPA. It's actually quite similar in taste to Stone Ruination, so if you're in the Starr Hill distribution area, this may be a good local alternative to try out.

02-08-2012 02:40:28 | More by Crazyale
Dave1999

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a nice bright orangey reddish colour transparent with a small head which sticks around.

Smells amazing citrus, grapefruit, hoppy. Can almost taste it through smell alone.

Very very hoppy and bitter, if you like your IPA's strong this is for you.

Has the mouth feel I expect from an IPA not too carbonated and not too thin.

In conclusion a very good DIPA which I would recommend.

02-05-2012 16:36:45 | More by Dave1999

hopsandstouts

01-22-2012 12:03:25 | More by hopsandstouts
jayhawk73

Maryland

Pours a beautiful golden orange color- almost glowing. Excellent cocoa head that leaves good lacing on the side of my CBS snifter. Very clear in appearance. The nose is citrus fruit, hops, resin, and caramel- very pleasant for the style. The taste kind of explodes in your mouth, and keeps changing for about 10 seconds after you swallow. Caramel malt, hops, pine, and citrus are the main things I get- with the malt in the front and the hops taking over midway through, and lingering forever on the aftertaste. None of the 8.6% abv is felt or tasted. Feel is medium- with malty and hop bite battling it out for control. In the end, you win. Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I would drink it again. Cheers.

01-19-2012 01:52:49 | More by jayhawk73