Double Platinum - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Beer added by: dedrinker on 06-17-2010

3.94/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours an attractive bright orange amber, moderate cap of prickly froth, some sticky lacing, light retention. Scent brings notes of pine, citrus rind, earthy hops, caramel and biscuity malt. Taste follows suit, bitter, hoppy but not overly flavorful, light caramel and biscuit backbone. Medium bodied, some oiliness, dry. Solid dIPA that doesn't overdo it, would love just a touch more hop flavor. (396 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic

Pours crystal clear pale orange color with minimal head. Aroma has a slight hoppy citrusness but overall not substantial.

First sip has a strong munich-like malt presence with firm lasting bitterness. Hop flavor is on the low side for an IIPA. I understand this is East coast style, but still I'd love a ton more flavor and aroma hops to really tantalize my taste buds. A touch on the boozy side, with a substantial malt backbone.

This is a decent beer, just not what I crave when I reach for an IIPA. Really needs to amp up the hop flavor and aroma to suit my tastes. (605 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very hoppy, some citrus. Taste is bold, bitter, lots of hops, citrus, flavorful.Alcohol is well hidden. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a good quality beer. (256 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a duvel glass.

Pours a cloudy dirty dark orange. Lots of floaters, big near white fluffy finger width head. Some lace, minimal head remains. Good looks.

Brew smells of big citrus hops, grapefruit and a little piney resin in there. Good nose.

Brew tastes of oily hops, citrus and grapefruit with a leafy finish almost. Solid drinker for a lot going on good dry semi bitter finish. Good stuff here.

Brew is my fusty from them and I like it a lot. Real good stuff here. (482 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks were as good as it got for this beer. Pours a nice clear copper with white head and looked very inviting. Smells like an average beer to me that you could find anywhere, couldn't detect much hops despite that it is an imperial ipa. The smell actually reminded me of drinking out of solo cups in college for some reason. Smelled funky and not in a good way. Taste to me was quite metallic with the bitterness of the hops at the end. Not smooth and the hoppy bitterness had a metallic taste to it as well. I've drank a lot of incredible IPAs and iIPAs recently and this was one of the worst that I've had in recent memory. (626 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

A: pours a clear amber hue into an Corsendonk glass with little bubbles barely any head--looks fantastic!

S: A little pine and light citrus notes. Smells really good.

T: dark citrus fruits, tangerines, grapefruit, blood orange. The citrus is really overpowering making this double IPA less than enjoyable.

MF: I can't get over the overpowering citrus. it is like having a mouth full of grapefruit juice.

O: the overpowering citrus notes drown out the malt and just leave an unpleasant abundant hop profile. I wouldn't buy again. (532 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a apricot orange, with nice lacing as the foam settles down into the glass. Pretty, but unremarkable.

Smell is is tropical and sweaty. Big, overwhelming papaya notes up front, followed by vague ideas of coriander, alcohol, and tin-like bitterness. Monotone, dull, and not all that pleasant.

Taste has a vegetal sweetness; like fresh-cut daikon, without the heat. A forest of woody bitterness and grapefruit pith rushes in soon after. Not very floral or juicy here; just a quick smack across the face and that's it. The swallow leaves an incredible, souring bitterness behind; it's like chewing on an uncured olive. Pretty grim.

Mouthfeel is nice, pillow-soft and full. A good job with this element.

Overall, I applaud that this is a truly bitter DIPA; so many these days are obsessed with low co-ho hops, and taste like nothing more than peach juice. That being said, there's more than just bitterness that makes a beer, and, all told, this is not that pleasant an experience. Boost the aroma hops up, give it a bit more malt, and I'd be back for another glass. For now, this is one-and-done. (1,102 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Light copper in color with excellent clarity. Poured with a short white foam that slowly reduced to a wispy cap despite being fed by a constant stream of vertically migrating bubbles. Dank citrus orange, pineapple, and pine hop aromas with a strong sweet maltiness beneath. Medium bodied but a tad on the thicker, maltier side with rich carbonation and resinous feel. Resinous pine hop bitterness from beginning to end with citrus hops barely showing through from the middle to the end. A slightly pungent hop flavor jumps to the back of the mouth after each sip but is quickly overcome by the bitter pine. Finishes with a touch of sweet caramel malt, a lingering pine hop bitterness and boozy notes. The aroma is the finest character of this DIPA with the pine hop flavors dominating the flavor profile. (804 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

I had never heard of this brewery, but apparently there was a bit of an excited stir about their recent appearance in the Philly area, what with a tap takeover at Capone's and whatnot. This is the only beer I've had from them so far, and all I can say is: "meh."

Served in a snifter, a golden-orange-amber color with a small, firm whitish head. Aroma was fairly grainy, some piney hops, cardboard. Taste was fairly bitter with resinous hops, burnt caramel, spent grains, maybe a touch of mango rind. Probably one of the blandest DIPAs I've ever had. Medium body, pretty harsh, and lacking in most of the qualities that make an IPA good. Not a very pleasant drink at all. (709 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

The case had a bottled on date of 9/27/12. The bottle has some code written on it also but it is smudged and I cannot read it.

Appearance- Poured into a perfect pint glass this ale glows a deep golden hue. The head is minimal and fades quickly.

Smell- Tropical hops up front. As it warms it begins to smell like a pine tree that grows mangos or something.

Taste- My initial sips were very pleasing, tropical hops and a crisp finish. As it got warmer the bittering hops start to come out and it lingers on the back of your tongue.

Mouth feel- Smooth upfront but becomes increasingly bitter with each sip.

Overall the piney hops take over about half way through the pint but all is not bad. Its still tasty. Its a pretty good deal at 11$ a 6 pack. (751 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle dated 08/09/12 poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a pretty standard golden amber color with about a finger and a half head after a pretty agressive pour. Head dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing.

S - Citrusy and mild grassy hops. Very pleasant.

T - More citrus. Grapefruit really comes through as it warms. A pretty decent smack in the face as it finishes very bitter. Almost too bitter IMO. Yeah, I'm not really feeling the finish.

M - Pretty spot on for the style. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O - Good beer up until the finish. Too bitter IMO. Other than that, though, it's an above average beer. Very drinkable at 8.6%. (650 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Starr Hill pint glass. Bottled on 8/7/12.

A - Pours a bright amber color with a thin layer of off-white carbonation. Shows great lacing.

S - Big grapefruit upfront with some balancing biscuit malt. Every once in a while I get a very dank whiff of Simcoe.

T - Follows the nose closely. Citrus is the primary flavor initially, transitioning to a pronounced malt bill. More bready than I would have thought from the big hop nose. Hops give a bitter bite on the back end, with lingering pine. Alcohol is nonexistent on the palate.

M - Medium body with good carbonation.

O - During college, this was the beer that introduced to me to Double IPA as a style. I remember it being a bit more abrasive on the palate than I experienced tonight. Very balanced and dangerously drinkable. It is nowhere near the best DIPA I have had, but it is very good. I recommend trying it if you are lucky enough to be in Starr Hill's distro area. (958 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass. Taken from Starr Hill's "Road Show" variety pack.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, light brown color. Has a thin, foamy head that dissipates quickly down to a tight ring leaving behind some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of grassy, citrusy dry hops. I think I smell Simoce hops, if my homebrewing memory serves me.

Taste: Strongly bitter throughout with grassy, piney hops with a touch of citrus. This is partially balanced by a sweet, caramel maltiness, but the hops definitely dominate here. This one definitely packs a hoppy punch.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with a medium body. Perfect for the style.

Overall: A pretty decent imperial IPA. Definitely not the strongest or best on the market, but, for the price and availability, it's hard to do much better. Definitely a new favorite of mine. (868 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: 1.5 finger with decent retention on a cloudy amber orange body.

S: candy sugar, orange peel citrus, caramel malts and floral hops.

T: flavor is loaded with pine, grass, floral and everything and anything bitter. the caramel malt base is barely perceptable. slight citrus sweetness comes in briefly in the middle.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: a little too bitter for me. The booze are well hidden, the bitterness makes it seem simple and unidimensional. (480 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +4%

When I poured this beer, I wasn't able to pour the whole thing in one go, the head was too plentiful. Not sure if that's a characteristic of the beer or of how bad I am at pouring beers. Once it was all in the glass, the beer had a dark amber hue underneath the billowing white head.

The beer doesn't have a strong smell to me, or perhaps it's user error again and summer allergies are rendering my nose useless. What I could smell was a little bit of hops but also a little something else balancing it out.

The beer has the distinct hops bite that would be expected from a double IPA, but it is more forgiving than other beers in this category. Expect the hops to really hit you on the aftertaste.

What has ultimately sold me on this beer is the mouthfeel. It's creamy and full-bodied and seems to occupy every nook and cranny of your head. Overall I enjoyed this beer, it was a lot of fun to drink! (903 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours an orangeish amber with a good size white head. Smells of citrus and floral notes, slight grain smell. Tastes of malt with great hop bite, slight citrus notes, great balance. Medium bodied beer goes down very smooth, great carbonation, and not much of an alcohol aftertaste. Overall, a very good beer. (350 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -23.5%

S: Orange rind, some grapefruit, solid malt profile

L: Hazy golden orange, creamy whit head with great retention. Solid lacing.

T: Sweet maltiness with lots of orange rind like hoppiness. Medium bitterness with a prominent maltiness. Finishes semi-dry and malty with orange rind notes.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Alcohol fairly well hidden.

Meh, not very hoppy, i may need to try a fresher bottle. (412 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a bottle gotten via trade from Hanzo, thanks!

A: A medium amber orange color with a one finger nice white head. Full glass lacing sticks.

S: Nice citrus hops with some pine notes and caramel sweetness. Nice smelling beer.

T: Citrus hops with flavors of grapefruit and orange mix with some earthy pine notes and even some floral qualities. The sweetness is thick and caramel like and stays with the hops. Finish turns a bit bitter, but not mouth scathingly so. I think it is a very balanced DIPA. Some slight alcohol on the finish.

M: Meduim, sticky, prickly and some alcohol. Nice.

O: A real enjoyable DIPA that was nothing but solid.

Overall a beer that I was glad to try and I enjoyed it. Will it win any prizes? No, but if I were local I would drink it anytime anywhere as it was a solid offering. Glad I had it. (834 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From reading the other reviews, I feel like I am slamming this D-IPA, but I am being honest about my sample. I enjoy the other Starr Hill IPA, but this one just didnt work for me. Except for the fact is was beautiful in the glass.

A- Exploded from the bottle and spilled onto the floor and into the glass a brilliant, hazy amber color. Really thick foam and nice lacing. This might be the best looking IPA I have seen.

S- Here is where this pretty peach starts to sour - The smell is very light to begin with, but it is citrus and hops with... alcohol.

T- Why so boozy? I have had plenty of 8.5+ D-IPAs with no hint of booze. This one tastes like I licked the bottom of a Jack Daniels shot glass. There is a taste of really bitter hops and pine, with a trace of bread/malt. Aftertaste is nothing but booze.

M- Too much bite. Heavy carbonation on the front and back of this one. Burns the throat and the booze burns the tongue.

O- I suppose I might have gotten ahold of a bad one, but this wasnt a great experience. Still, being objective, I would take this over any standard Bud/Miller product. (1,104 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%

Definitely the best brew I've had from Starr Hill and a quality D-IPA in its own right. Gorgeous in the glass, the smell belies the citrus-pine taste ... then again, my smeller is dulled by a cold so I may revise when I'm healthy again. Back to the taste -- so good! I get a nice bitterness on the front with a LONG grapefruit finish. Great work Starr Hill! I'd definitely drink this Double Platinum every day. (410 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper-gold-amber with a .25 finger's worth of bubbly egg shell colored foam on top. Minimal bubble action in the body with some noticeable sediment floating around also. Looks crisp. Looks refreshing. I think the lacing will tell the full story.

S: Aroma that stands out the most is the sweet, caramel malt. Some citrus notes coming through as well -- some grapefruit, pineapple, some tropical stuff. But, mostly the sweet stuff. I'd say this is good.

T: Malt bomb. Mostly the sweet stuff. Overpowering the hops and citrus. An earthy taste coming through. Kinda rusty. Metallic. Funny -- the finish is a sweet dryness. Kind of like it. But, yeah, caramel malt and some fruitiness. Not bad for a local IPA or DIPA. I like Corruption and Bitter Valentine better, but this is a good offering.

M: Smooth and creamy -- medium bodied brew. Perfect carbonation. Oily texture. Interesting -- the chewiness enhances the fullness of the body instead of spotlighting the alcohol or maltiness. I'd say the feel is really really good.

T: I fell in love with this brew the first time I tried it, and gave it a 5! But, I was new to reviewing craft beer, and I always felt I should give Double Platinum another look. I was right -- it's not the perfect beer I thought it was, but it's pretty good I feel. For a local -- for an East Coast IPA. Especially from a Southern state; this is good. (1,404 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A. Cloudy orange/copper. Really long lasting lacing.
S. I don't pull a lungent hop smell, but nice
T. Strong hop presence, a grapefruit undertone.
M. I am horrible at describing mouth feel. Feels nice though.

My favorite Starr Hill offering. I am very surprised by this beer....in a good way. (294 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Pours a dark cloudy orange, with a two-finger head. The thick head and cloudiness distinguish this beer from many others in the style.

S: Strong aroma of grapefruit and lemon up front, with some syrupy maltiness in the background. Very complex aroma actually, some honey and pine come through as well.

T: Bitter hops predominate at first, followed by a coating of honey on the back of the tongue. Citrus comes through as well, with just a slight hint of pine. Orange seems to predominate more than grapefruit. Fairly well balanced, although I feel that the bitterness is a bit too harsh compared with some of the top DIPAs. I should point out that while this is supposed to be good for another two months per the label, I have no idea when it was bottled and thus how fresh it is. I suspect that it's at least a month old, however, if not 2-3 months.

M: Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium, fairly typical for the style.

Overall, this is an excellent DIPA. It's actually quite similar in taste to Stone Ruination, so if you're in the Starr Hill distribution area, this may be a good local alternative to try out. (1,124 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a nice bright orangey reddish colour transparent with a small head which sticks around.

Smells amazing citrus, grapefruit, hoppy. Can almost taste it through smell alone.

Very very hoppy and bitter, if you like your IPA's strong this is for you.

Has the mouth feel I expect from an IPA not too carbonated and not too thin.

In conclusion a very good DIPA which I would recommend. (388 characters)

Pours a beautiful golden orange color- almost glowing. Excellent cocoa head that leaves good lacing on the side of my CBS snifter. Very clear in appearance. The nose is citrus fruit, hops, resin, and caramel- very pleasant for the style. The taste kind of explodes in your mouth, and keeps changing for about 10 seconds after you swallow. Caramel malt, hops, pine, and citrus are the main things I get- with the malt in the front and the hops taking over midway through, and lingering forever on the aftertaste. None of the 8.6% abv is felt or tasted. Feel is medium- with malty and hop bite battling it out for control. In the end, you win. Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I would drink it again. Cheers. (703 characters)

Double Platinum from Starr Hill Brewery