Double Platinum - Starr Hill Brewery

Double PlatinumDouble Platinum

good

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: Dreadnaught33 on 02-03-2011)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

When I poured this beer, I wasn't able to pour the whole thing in one go, the head was too plentiful. Not sure if that's a characteristic of the beer or of how bad I am at pouring beers. Once it was all in the glass, the beer had a dark amber hue underneath the billowing white head.

The beer doesn't have a strong smell to me, or perhaps it's user error again and summer allergies are rendering my nose useless. What I could smell was a little bit of hops but also a little something else balancing it out.

The beer has the distinct hops bite that would be expected from a double IPA, but it is more forgiving than other beers in this category. Expect the hops to really hit you on the aftertaste.

What has ultimately sold me on this beer is the mouthfeel. It's creamy and full-bodied and seems to occupy every nook and cranny of your head. Overall I enjoyed this beer, it was a lot of fun to drink!

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours an orangeish amber with a good size white head. Smells of citrus and floral notes, slight grain smell. Tastes of malt with great hop bite, slight citrus notes, great balance. Medium bodied beer goes down very smooth, great carbonation, and not much of an alcohol aftertaste. Overall, a very good beer.

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%

S: Orange rind, some grapefruit, solid malt profile

L: Hazy golden orange, creamy whit head with great retention. Solid lacing.

T: Sweet maltiness with lots of orange rind like hoppiness. Medium bitterness with a prominent maltiness. Finishes semi-dry and malty with orange rind notes.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Alcohol fairly well hidden.

Meh, not very hoppy, i may need to try a fresher bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a bottle gotten via trade from Hanzo, thanks!

A: A medium amber orange color with a one finger nice white head. Full glass lacing sticks.

S: Nice citrus hops with some pine notes and caramel sweetness. Nice smelling beer.

T: Citrus hops with flavors of grapefruit and orange mix with some earthy pine notes and even some floral qualities. The sweetness is thick and caramel like and stays with the hops. Finish turns a bit bitter, but not mouth scathingly so. I think it is a very balanced DIPA. Some slight alcohol on the finish.

M: Meduim, sticky, prickly and some alcohol. Nice.

O: A real enjoyable DIPA that was nothing but solid.

Overall a beer that I was glad to try and I enjoyed it. Will it win any prizes? No, but if I were local I would drink it anytime anywhere as it was a solid offering. Glad I had it.

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From reading the other reviews, I feel like I am slamming this D-IPA, but I am being honest about my sample. I enjoy the other Starr Hill IPA, but this one just didnt work for me. Except for the fact is was beautiful in the glass.

A- Exploded from the bottle and spilled onto the floor and into the glass a brilliant, hazy amber color. Really thick foam and nice lacing. This might be the best looking IPA I have seen.

S- Here is where this pretty peach starts to sour - The smell is very light to begin with, but it is citrus and hops with... alcohol.

T- Why so boozy? I have had plenty of 8.5+ D-IPAs with no hint of booze. This one tastes like I licked the bottom of a Jack Daniels shot glass. There is a taste of really bitter hops and pine, with a trace of bread/malt. Aftertaste is nothing but booze.

M- Too much bite. Heavy carbonation on the front and back of this one. Burns the throat and the booze burns the tongue.

O- I suppose I might have gotten ahold of a bad one, but this wasnt a great experience. Still, being objective, I would take this over any standard Bud/Miller product.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Definitely the best brew I've had from Starr Hill and a quality D-IPA in its own right. Gorgeous in the glass, the smell belies the citrus-pine taste ... then again, my smeller is dulled by a cold so I may revise when I'm healthy again. Back to the taste -- so good! I get a nice bitterness on the front with a LONG grapefruit finish. Great work Starr Hill! I'd definitely drink this Double Platinum every day.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper-gold-amber with a .25 finger's worth of bubbly egg shell colored foam on top. Minimal bubble action in the body with some noticeable sediment floating around also. Looks crisp. Looks refreshing. I think the lacing will tell the full story.

S: Aroma that stands out the most is the sweet, caramel malt. Some citrus notes coming through as well -- some grapefruit, pineapple, some tropical stuff. But, mostly the sweet stuff. I'd say this is good.

T: Malt bomb. Mostly the sweet stuff. Overpowering the hops and citrus. An earthy taste coming through. Kinda rusty. Metallic. Funny -- the finish is a sweet dryness. Kind of like it. But, yeah, caramel malt and some fruitiness. Not bad for a local IPA or DIPA. I like Corruption and Bitter Valentine better, but this is a good offering.

M: Smooth and creamy -- medium bodied brew. Perfect carbonation. Oily texture. Interesting -- the chewiness enhances the fullness of the body instead of spotlighting the alcohol or maltiness. I'd say the feel is really really good.

T: I fell in love with this brew the first time I tried it, and gave it a 5! But, I was new to reviewing craft beer, and I always felt I should give Double Platinum another look. I was right -- it's not the perfect beer I thought it was, but it's pretty good I feel. For a local -- for an East Coast IPA. Especially from a Southern state; this is good.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%