Boxcarr Pumpkin Porter - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 06-29-2011)
Reviews by SFC21:

this beer lacks the darkness of a porter i dont taste the porter i taste the pumpkin yeah so it doesnt stand out in a crowd vits doesnt out by it self its lacks a want vto come bvack to it its a shame it could have been wonderful but the word you look for is lacking this beer is lacking the great pumpkin taste that even linus wont wait up for

3.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a chestnut brown with a rather large blooming light beige head atop,no lace is left behind.Mild pumpkin spice and chocolate in the nose.A little light in the feel,pumpkin pie spice on the palate with a hint of roast and chocolate.If it were not for the feel I think this beer would be very good,as is it's not bad.A little maligned in my opinion.

3.04/5  rDev -8.4%

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark brown/Rusted Copper color.

S- Very rich coffee aroma with hints of pumpkin

T- Taste is of pumpkin pie crust with a hint of chocolate & coffee

M- Typical body of a Porter. Robust & full

O-Great beer for a cooler than normal, over cast day in Fall.

3.32/5  rDev 0%

Not my cup of tea.

3.75/5  rDev +13%

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.25/5  rDev +28%

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark, almost black, brown with a thin, but fully covering, light brown head.

S: Earthy pumpkin and sweet malt match slight cinnamon and sligh smoke.

T: Malt, smoke, coffee, and a hint of pumpkin and smoke on the finish. It reminds me of pumpkin coffee.

M: Medium and dry

O: Every year I think I have had every pumpkin beer, and every year I find six more to buy. I know that most will be okay, though not great. A pumpkin porter appealed to me beyond the alliteration involved; a porter with a touch of earthy or sweet pumpkin seemed like a good idea. And it is; well, at least the idea is not bad. The pumpkin is present, slightly, in the finish. Otherwise, the smoke of the porter takes over most of the flavors.

4.6/5  rDev +38.6%

4.15/5  rDev +25%

A: dark brown with a tan head

S:light roasted malt pumpkin and spice (cinnamon, nutmeg)

T: pumpkin and spice but not super sweet, light roasted malt flavor

it was a good beer i was expecting more of a sweet pumpkin and spice taste but it was well balanced. I will buy this one again.

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

2.6/5  rDev -21.7%

Let me start by saying I'm not sure why this was called a porter. Was more ale-y than a porter or stout and should have been labeled an ale. Color was that of dark chocolate with a moderate sized head. Smell was sweet and spicey - brown sugar, molasses, nutmeg, cloves. Also thought there was a nice hint of roasted malts in the smell...then I drank it. The taste was similar to other pumpkin ales but completely overpowered by smoke flavor. I get that this is intended with the rauchbier style, but i'mnot sure that they were going for this. The pumpkin was evident in the taste but I was expecting more. Had a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall, too smokey for my taste buds. The smell was the highlight of this brew. There are other pumpkin/fall seasonals that I prefer abd I probably won't try this one again. Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance- Very dark brown with a huge tan head.

Smell- Has a strong smell of something clove or nutmeg maybe. I can also smell some cinnamon. Whatever it is it has a nice crisp weather spice smell. It smells like a fall beer. I don’t smell anything that would usually resemble a porter.

Taste- Dosen’t taste anything like a porter. Has a strong taste of nutmeg and cinnamon and that is just about it. It leaves your mouth with a bit of a tingiling feeling the way mint would. I actually think I might taste a bit of mint in it. It also seems a bit on the light watery side in the after taste, kind of a little flat.

Overall- This is not really what I was expecting. I guess I was expcecting something with a strong chocolate taste that a porter usually has with a hint of pumpkin in it. Instead it just taste like water with cinamaon and nutmeg sprinkled in it. I am a little disappointed. This is my first pumpkin beer and hope I will find something better.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%