Boxcarr Pumpkin Porter - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 06-29-2011)
Reviews by SFC21:

SFC21, Dec 31, 2012

aszatk01, Oct 19, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Dark brown/Rusted Copper color.

S- Very rich coffee aroma with hints of pumpkin

T- Taste is of pumpkin pie crust with a hint of chocolate & coffee

M- Typical body of a Porter. Robust & full

O-Great beer for a cooler than normal, over cast day in Fall.

BigMarty1980, Oct 11, 2013

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

murbray, Jul 19, 2014

stereosforgeeks, Dec 17, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark, almost black, brown with a thin, but fully covering, light brown head.

S: Earthy pumpkin and sweet malt match slight cinnamon and sligh smoke.

T: Malt, smoke, coffee, and a hint of pumpkin and smoke on the finish. It reminds me of pumpkin coffee.

M: Medium and dry

O: Every year I think I have had every pumpkin beer, and every year I find six more to buy. I know that most will be okay, though not great. A pumpkin porter appealed to me beyond the alliteration involved; a porter with a touch of earthy or sweet pumpkin seemed like a good idea. And it is; well, at least the idea is not bad. The pumpkin is present, slightly, in the finish. Otherwise, the smoke of the porter takes over most of the flavors.

ianjsullivan, Oct 02, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +26.1%

A: dark brown with a tan head

S:light roasted malt pumpkin and spice (cinnamon, nutmeg)

T: pumpkin and spice but not super sweet, light roasted malt flavor

it was a good beer i was expecting more of a sweet pumpkin and spice taste but it was well balanced. I will buy this one again.

homebrewer88, Aug 24, 2011

acurtis, Aug 28, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -24%

cclark67789, Sep 09, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -21%

Let me start by saying I'm not sure why this was called a porter. Was more ale-y than a porter or stout and should have been labeled an ale. Color was that of dark chocolate with a moderate sized head. Smell was sweet and spicey - brown sugar, molasses, nutmeg, cloves. Also thought there was a nice hint of roasted malts in the smell...then I drank it. The taste was similar to other pumpkin ales but completely overpowered by smoke flavor. I get that this is intended with the rauchbier style, but i'mnot sure that they were going for this. The pumpkin was evident in the taste but I was expecting more. Had a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall, too smokey for my taste buds. The smell was the highlight of this brew. There are other pumpkin/fall seasonals that I prefer abd I probably won't try this one again. Cheers!

bensbeers, Oct 08, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance- Very dark brown with a huge tan head.

Smell- Has a strong smell of something clove or nutmeg maybe. I can also smell some cinnamon. Whatever it is it has a nice crisp weather spice smell. It smells like a fall beer. I don’t smell anything that would usually resemble a porter.

Taste- Dosen’t taste anything like a porter. Has a strong taste of nutmeg and cinnamon and that is just about it. It leaves your mouth with a bit of a tingiling feeling the way mint would. I actually think I might taste a bit of mint in it. It also seems a bit on the light watery side in the after taste, kind of a little flat.

Overall- This is not really what I was expecting. I guess I was expcecting something with a strong chocolate taste that a porter usually has with a hint of pumpkin in it. Instead it just taste like water with cinamaon and nutmeg sprinkled in it. I am a little disappointed. This is my first pumpkin beer and hope I will find something better.

crwrunner, Aug 27, 2012

tdm168, Sep 20, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Coal-black with a thick foamy head of off-white bubbles. Lace slight and not too noticeable.

Nose is heavy on the spice -- I get some clove and nutmeg, alongside the requisite pumpkin. Nice and appealing.

Taste is an unusual mix of roasty malts and pumpkin & spice. Very flavorful, and lighter in body than expected. I was not sure how the porter would gel with the pumpkin, but this one works just fine. Enjoyable!

secondtooth, Oct 12, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Exploded upon un-capping. That's a minus.

Thinnish tan head, essentially opaque brown body. Decent surface memory.

Smells like a dark, malty porter, with a trace of pumpkin. Second pour in a better glass yields a nose with some nutmeg and pumpkin pie smell.

Taste is somehow watery. There's the porter for sure, and also some pumpkin, and neither is bad. This would be a good sweetish porter, but somehow the pumpkin is accompanied by water.

Mouthfeel has carb that's probably killing the taste-- could be part of it.

Pumpkin porter has been done before-- this one is unexceptional.

zaphodchak, Aug 07, 2011