Boxcarr Pumpkin Porter - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 06-29-2011)
Reviews by Zraly:
Zraly

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured two-finger head into Lagunitas "mason jar" glass. Fluffy mocha colored head atop of dark, almost opaque, ale. Smells a bit of spice, with predominate notes of cinnamon and pepper. Smells and looks good.

Taste-wise, this is much less than I was expecting. I detect a faint presence of gourd. The porter notes are not fully realized on the palate, and overall the flavor is not fully supported by enough pumpkin. There is some semblance of a porter: coffee and rich malt notes. But these thin out in the finish and there is an odd, slightly funky sour note in the finish, along with some spice notes. Not as smooth as it could be. This is a great idea on paper, but I would say the execution missed the mark. If it was a bit more balanced by way of the spice (i.e., add a bit more grain and gourd to the bill) , I'd say this would be a mighty fine VA ale. As it stands, it is a mediocre porter with some spice added. Mouthfeel is thin and lacks body.

I've eyed this several times before but always ended up buying something else. My Mom and her beau were in town for the weekend, and he loves a good porter; we thought we'd give this a spin. We bought a six pack and I think I can help finish it. But I don't think I will re-purchase it in the future.

10-25-2012 22:13:51 | More by Zraly
aszatk01

10-19-2013 16:27:14 | More by aszatk01
BigMarty1980

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Dark brown/Rusted Copper color.

S- Very rich coffee aroma with hints of pumpkin

T- Taste is of pumpkin pie crust with a hint of chocolate & coffee

M- Typical body of a Porter. Robust & full

O-Great beer for a cooler than normal, over cast day in Fall.

10-11-2013 20:33:26 | More by BigMarty1980

stereosforgeeks

12-17-2012 22:23:30 | More by stereosforgeeks
ianjsullivan

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark, almost black, brown with a thin, but fully covering, light brown head.

S: Earthy pumpkin and sweet malt match slight cinnamon and sligh smoke.

T: Malt, smoke, coffee, and a hint of pumpkin and smoke on the finish. It reminds me of pumpkin coffee.

M: Medium and dry

O: Every year I think I have had every pumpkin beer, and every year I find six more to buy. I know that most will be okay, though not great. A pumpkin porter appealed to me beyond the alliteration involved; a porter with a touch of earthy or sweet pumpkin seemed like a good idea. And it is; well, at least the idea is not bad. The pumpkin is present, slightly, in the finish. Otherwise, the smoke of the porter takes over most of the flavors.

10-02-2012 20:42:05 | More by ianjsullivan
homebrewer88

4.15/5  rDev +26.1%

A: dark brown with a tan head

S:light roasted malt pumpkin and spice (cinnamon, nutmeg)

T: pumpkin and spice but not super sweet, light roasted malt flavor

it was a good beer i was expecting more of a sweet pumpkin and spice taste but it was well balanced. I will buy this one again.

08-24-2011 20:30:53 | More by homebrewer88
acurtis

08-28-2014 22:13:47 | More by acurtis
cclark67789

2.5/5  rDev -24%

09-09-2013 00:25:24 | More by cclark67789
bensbeers

2.6/5  rDev -21%

Let me start by saying I'm not sure why this was called a porter. Was more ale-y than a porter or stout and should have been labeled an ale. Color was that of dark chocolate with a moderate sized head. Smell was sweet and spicey - brown sugar, molasses, nutmeg, cloves. Also thought there was a nice hint of roasted malts in the smell...then I drank it. The taste was similar to other pumpkin ales but completely overpowered by smoke flavor. I get that this is intended with the rauchbier style, but i'mnot sure that they were going for this. The pumpkin was evident in the taste but I was expecting more. Had a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall, too smokey for my taste buds. The smell was the highlight of this brew. There are other pumpkin/fall seasonals that I prefer abd I probably won't try this one again. Cheers!

10-08-2012 01:41:12 | More by bensbeers
crwrunner

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance- Very dark brown with a huge tan head.

Smell- Has a strong smell of something clove or nutmeg maybe. I can also smell some cinnamon. Whatever it is it has a nice crisp weather spice smell. It smells like a fall beer. I don’t smell anything that would usually resemble a porter.

Taste- Dosen’t taste anything like a porter. Has a strong taste of nutmeg and cinnamon and that is just about it. It leaves your mouth with a bit of a tingiling feeling the way mint would. I actually think I might taste a bit of mint in it. It also seems a bit on the light watery side in the after taste, kind of a little flat.

Overall- This is not really what I was expecting. I guess I was expcecting something with a strong chocolate taste that a porter usually has with a hint of pumpkin in it. Instead it just taste like water with cinamaon and nutmeg sprinkled in it. I am a little disappointed. This is my first pumpkin beer and hope I will find something better.

08-27-2012 00:49:12 | More by crwrunner
tdm168

09-20-2013 00:20:26 | More by tdm168
secondtooth

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Coal-black with a thick foamy head of off-white bubbles. Lace slight and not too noticeable.

Nose is heavy on the spice -- I get some clove and nutmeg, alongside the requisite pumpkin. Nice and appealing.

Taste is an unusual mix of roasty malts and pumpkin & spice. Very flavorful, and lighter in body than expected. I was not sure how the porter would gel with the pumpkin, but this one works just fine. Enjoyable!

10-12-2011 19:39:37 | More by secondtooth
zaphodchak

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Exploded upon un-capping. That's a minus.

Thinnish tan head, essentially opaque brown body. Decent surface memory.

Smells like a dark, malty porter, with a trace of pumpkin. Second pour in a better glass yields a nose with some nutmeg and pumpkin pie smell.

Taste is somehow watery. There's the porter for sure, and also some pumpkin, and neither is bad. This would be a good sweetish porter, but somehow the pumpkin is accompanied by water.

Mouthfeel has carb that's probably killing the taste-- could be part of it.

Pumpkin porter has been done before-- this one is unexceptional.

08-07-2011 01:28:22 | More by zaphodchak