Boxcarr Pumpkin Porter - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 06-29-2011)

Jtc2811, Feb 29, 2012

redfox405, Sep 01, 2013
1.94/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a dark chestnut brown color tht appears black and nearly opaque in the glass with faint mahogany edges and a half finger beige head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Minimal spotty lacin left behind.

Slightly smokey, robust dark malt aroma with a prominent autumnal spice presence. Strong roast character with hints of charred toast, oatmeal, coffee bean and dark chocolate. This is countered by heavy spices, especially allspice, coriander, clove and ginger. Some pumpkin purée in there as well with sweeter dark malt notes, notably chocolate and toffee. Somewhat artificial smelling with a overpowering potpourri scent that overwhelms the pumpkin. Smells like an overly spiced porter with just a touch of pumpkin.

Lighter bodied than expected with an overwhelming autumnal spice presence and acrid burnt malt flavors. I'm not picking up any pumpkin at all, just burnt malt and dry spice. Lots of pepper, clove and ginger without much else on the spice front to balance things out. Also, the malt character is lacking sweetness with overly dry charcoal flavor. Hints of ashtray, burnt wood and charred toast making this beer intensely dry and unpleasant. Even a little bit of pumpkin or sweeter malt flavor would help this beer but as is, it's a mess of a beer that I dumped down the drain.

corby112, Nov 18, 2013

tripelz, Nov 03, 2012

Not my cup of tea.

Oberson58, Sep 14, 2014

sarahgant, Oct 17, 2012

Dave_Treat, Sep 09, 2012

this beer lacks the darkness of a porter i dont taste the porter i taste the pumpkin yeah so it doesnt stand out in a crowd vits doesnt out by it self its lacks a want vto come bvack to it its a shame it could have been wonderful but the word you look for is lacking this beer is lacking the great pumpkin taste that even linus wont wait up for

wac9, Aug 19, 2014

AWB3, Jul 09, 2013

The-Bandit, Aug 20, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -38.3%

A: The body of the beer is a dark opaque brown color, with a cappuccino colored head.

S: I pick up some spicy notes, like cinnamon and possibly clove. Other than that, I was surprised that it didn't have a real porter smell to it. It actually reminded me more of a Belgian Dark, when it comes to scent.

T: I don't like this at all. It tastes very watered down. I guess that I am tasting the pumpkin, because it has a definite vegetable taste to it. The spices are there and seem to be just right...but the rest of the beer is just wrong.

M: The mouthfeel is very bad. I was expecting a full mouthfeel from a porter, but this is very watered down. No real bitterness, no smoothness, no presence or oomph. Just very flat.

O: Overall I was pretty bummed about this beer. I expected it to be nice, considering that it is a fresh seasonal pumpkin beer. I was looking forward to a porter as well, but I guess I'll be left at the curb on that one.

teromous, Sep 16, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -38.3%

I thought to myself when I saw this beer sitting on the shelf "mmm that looks good but its starr hill cant imagine that would be good, maybe the brewing style will overrule" aaand my instincts were right.
A: looks like a standard stout/porter with no head but I've had good stouts/porters with no head
S: smells some what like it tastes only slightly better
T: Some would describe this beer having roasted or coffee tones while it has that they are poor and would be better explained as burnt tones. There is a little pumkin and spice flavor but it is obstructed by the poor attempt at roasted coffee tones.
M: too much carbonation not very smooth or full bodied like i would expect from a porter/stout

celticknot, Oct 12, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -32.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Looks like a good porter should, but almost non-existent head.

Aroma was interesting - pumpkin and spices along with a decent whiff of somewhat burnt coffee

Taste was meh - reminded me of a eating a cheap pumpkin pie followed up with some bitter, TOO bitter, coffee.

Mouthfeel and aftertaste is where this brew lost me ... Thin, watery, too much carbonation. Attributes I really wouldn't expect, or abide, from a porter. And the aftertaste was just too much nasty bitterness that wouldn't go away.

I absolutely love porters and stouts. This is the first porter I've ever had that became a drain-pour after half a glass.

Maybe I caught a bad bottle?

With all the great porters/stouts out there, I won't be trying this again.

GeoJ, Nov 01, 2011

johnpdennis, Oct 18, 2012

TheBeerAlmanac, Apr 29, 2013

greg4579, Oct 07, 2012

colinclovt, Apr 27, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -30.7%

Phenominal smell to this one. I get roasted pumpkin and a bunch of spice. On first sip the spices are almost gone. Still trying to figure out how so much spice is in the smell, but not in the taste. There is virtually no chocolate and little roasted malt, which I would expect in a porter. There is plenty of roasted pumpkin that doesn't mesh well with the rest of the beer. Mouthfeel is too thin and too carbonated and that's a bad combination.

Overall, just not pleasant. I might buy if I'm hard up for a pumpkin beer. This is too bad, as I love pumpkin beers and had high hopes for this. I tried it on multiple occassions, but it's not getting any better.

johnnybgood1999, Sep 27, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Warm, dark brown body with a somewhat lighter than expected head that quickly recedes but leaves decent lacing.

S: Sort of like a mix between brett and cured pork.

T: Mostly the brett, less smokiness. A touch of chocolate in the middle. A little bit of maybe baking soda at the end, or perhaps Irish soda bread.

M: Pretty good. Some creaminess, enough carbonation to keep it from getting heavy.

O: Not so great.