Boxcarr Pumpkin Porter - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 06-29-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jrfehon33

10-05-2012 22:06:31 | More by jrfehon33
ianjsullivan

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark, almost black, brown with a thin, but fully covering, light brown head.

S: Earthy pumpkin and sweet malt match slight cinnamon and sligh smoke.

T: Malt, smoke, coffee, and a hint of pumpkin and smoke on the finish. It reminds me of pumpkin coffee.

M: Medium and dry

O: Every year I think I have had every pumpkin beer, and every year I find six more to buy. I know that most will be okay, though not great. A pumpkin porter appealed to me beyond the alliteration involved; a porter with a touch of earthy or sweet pumpkin seemed like a good idea. And it is; well, at least the idea is not bad. The pumpkin is present, slightly, in the finish. Otherwise, the smoke of the porter takes over most of the flavors.

10-02-2012 20:42:05 | More by ianjsullivan
mbarnes0

10-01-2012 21:03:11 | More by mbarnes0
ckollias

Enjoyed a sample of this beer at the What’s up Chesapeake Beer Madness 2012

A: Poured a dark brownish-amber hue –with not much of a head – but it was a little sample.

S: Great malty pumpkin aroma with hints of pumpkin all-spice in the background.

T: More sweet than bitter with a malty pumpkin flavor with a some ginger, nutmeg, and all-spice in the backbone.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a decent pumpkin porter – I like the smoothness and flavors.

10-01-2012 03:25:59 | More by ckollias

District of Columbia

09-30-2012 00:18:45 | More by fountainofyouth
johnnybgood1999

2.3/5  rDev -29.9%

Phenominal smell to this one. I get roasted pumpkin and a bunch of spice. On first sip the spices are almost gone. Still trying to figure out how so much spice is in the smell, but not in the taste. There is virtually no chocolate and little roasted malt, which I would expect in a porter. There is plenty of roasted pumpkin that doesn't mesh well with the rest of the beer. Mouthfeel is too thin and too carbonated and that's a bad combination.

Overall, just not pleasant. I might buy if I'm hard up for a pumpkin beer. This is too bad, as I love pumpkin beers and had high hopes for this. I tried it on multiple occassions, but it's not getting any better.

09-27-2012 01:07:59 | More by johnnybgood1999
Hopfenpeter

3.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Could not wait to try this interesting approach of a pumpkin inspired beer.
Poured into my crystal mug, the beer is dark brown in color and produced a bubbly dark tan head about one finger high. It dissipates fast and leaves little lacing.
The smell is of pumpkin spice and roasted malts.
Tasting the beer he pumpkin spice flavors dominate the front, quickly to be replaced by a good dose of roasted malt. In the finish here are faint dark chocolate flavors, but they are veer powered by the roasted malt.
Overall a medium bodied beer, very drinkable and a good seasonal fall beer.

09-25-2012 02:04:12 | More by Hopfenpeter
jbaker67

09-17-2012 22:03:16 | More by jbaker67
claspada

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a translucent darkish brown color with a modest tan head that had some minimal retention and left some minor lacing.

Aromas begin with pumpkin pie spicing and a toasted brown bread presence. Lesser armounts of dark chocolate and roasted malt emerged more as it warmed.

The tastes begin with toasted brown bread with the pumpkin pie spice mixture once again (mace, nutmeg and ginger) kicking in by mid-palate. The starchy pumpkin flesh flavor builds, after the swallow, along with a minimal bitter generic dark roasted maltiness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finish is gently spicy and minimally roasty.

Overall, this is a decent attempt at a sessionable pumpkin alternative beer. A bit heavy on the roasted, bitter flavors don't work quite right with the pumpkin spicing. A more balanced chocolate malt flavor would have been a better complement. Wouldn't turn it down if offered to me during the fall seasons but won't seek it out either.

09-17-2012 16:40:10 | More by claspada
teromous

2.05/5  rDev -37.5%

A: The body of the beer is a dark opaque brown color, with a cappuccino colored head.

S: I pick up some spicy notes, like cinnamon and possibly clove. Other than that, I was surprised that it didn't have a real porter smell to it. It actually reminded me more of a Belgian Dark, when it comes to scent.

T: I don't like this at all. It tastes very watered down. I guess that I am tasting the pumpkin, because it has a definite vegetable taste to it. The spices are there and seem to be just right...but the rest of the beer is just wrong.

M: The mouthfeel is very bad. I was expecting a full mouthfeel from a porter, but this is very watered down. No real bitterness, no smoothness, no presence or oomph. Just very flat.

O: Overall I was pretty bummed about this beer. I expected it to be nice, considering that it is a fresh seasonal pumpkin beer. I was looking forward to a porter as well, but I guess I'll be left at the curb on that one.

09-16-2012 20:42:48 | More by teromous
mckenziac

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass. Taken from a Starr Hill "Road Show" variety pack.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. Has large, fizzy, tan head that dissipates quickly down to nothing and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of pumpkin pie spices and faintly of pumpkin. I was hoping for a little bit more of a strong pumpkin aroma here but it's just not there. Also, being a "pumpkin porter," I was hoping for more a roasted malt smell, but the spices are really the only thing going on here.

Taste: Has a light hoppiness to it which gives way quickly to a strong pumpkin flavor complimented by the usual pumpkin pie spices. The roasty porter flavor I was looking for in the aroma is a bit more present here.

Mouthfeel: A little bit light and watery for a pumpkin ale and a fall seasonal.

Overall: Meh. It's not BAD, it's just not that great. It's a subpar porter but a decent enough pumpkin ale. I like the idea of making a pumpkin porter rather than a traditional pumpkin ale but I think it could be done better than this.

09-16-2012 20:16:47 | More by mckenziac

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

09-14-2012 23:41:02 | More by bubseymour
Justin23060

3.58/5  rDev +9.1%

Let me preface this by saying that every pumpkin beer I have tried so far tastes like old man's after shave (some more than others). Because of this, it's a style I've stopped seeking out. This came to me as a freebie, though, so here goes (thanks again Mike).

A vigorous pour produced a half finger head that was gone in an instant. Almost no light gets through with just a bit of chestnut color at the edges. The spice smell is dominant but milder than other pumpkin beers. There is a bit of roastiness coming through as well. At first taste the spices are overwhelming aftershave like I mentioned. But about halfway through with a slight warm the spices burned off and the porter shinned through. Not bad at all. Mouthfeel is right about in the middle. I do appreciate the shorter linger thanks to the dry start and finish.

After trying this with some graham crackers I am really diggin' this stuff. If this beer had some of those qualities the graham cracker imparts it would be killer.

Although this style is not my favorite, Boxcar is definitely my favorite Pumpkin offering so far. I'd definitely recommend it, but only with the graham crackers.

09-14-2012 21:48:09 | More by Justin23060
DaveBlack

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Dark, not a whole lot of head and almost no lacing. At the edges the beer has a reddish tint. Basically, it looks like a porter...

S: Lots of pumpkin pie spices dominate, and darkly roasted malts. There is a smoky and oak aroma as well, which compliments the pumpkin pie spices nicely.

T: Not at all what I was expecting. While the spices dominate on the nose, it's the malts that carry the flavor. Burnt toast and coffee up front, followed by malt bitterness and then the kiss of cinnamon and allspice.

M: The body is fairly light for a porter, and it is buoyed by a lot of carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer, but not a particularly good one either. The spices take a backseat to the malts, and the pumpkin is nowhere to be found. That being said, it's an easy drinking beer, and the smoky flavor and spices make it a pleasant fall beer.

09-14-2012 16:50:48 | More by DaveBlack
Darkmagus82

2.65/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Poured a deeper brown color with a big tan head. The head had decent retention fading over time to give only a lighter amount of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is heavy of a sweet pumpkin smell. Mixed with the pumpkin is the presence of some chocolate, roasted malt and a little bit of nutmeg and allspice.

Taste – The taste begins of roasted malt with a light hint of chocolate. A big pumpkin flavor hits the tongue immediately after the initial taste. It doesn’t combine with the roasted and chocolate flavors very well and when mixed with a light spice of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice the flavors really don’t meld. In the end a somewhat rotten roasted pumpkin flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer was on the thinner side with a carbonation level that was rather average.

Overall – A beer I certainly won’t go to again. The flavors had no compatibility/melding in this brew and resulted it too off a flavor.

09-11-2012 00:45:41 | More by Darkmagus82
Eriktheipaman

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

09-10-2012 00:38:19 | More by Eriktheipaman
TappaKeggaBrew

4.15/5  rDev +26.5%

A: Poured deep, dark brown (black unless I held it up to sunlight) with a light brown, fizzy head that was 1-finger thick, but with average retention and not much lacing.

S: With the first whiff, spices dominated -- cloves & allspice primarily. Next I detected the pumpkin fruit itself, with bready malt following. A final, deep whiff captured the hops far in the background.

T: Very nicely balanced. The sweet & grainy malt is first, followed by rich pumpkin notes. There are also the cocoa, coffee, and dried fruit notes that I often associate with porters, although more muted than I'd expected (which is why I rated taste a 4 rather than higher -- it isn't as faithful to the style as it could be). Hops made their bitter appearance late, and not in a big way -- just enough to balance out the malt. The spices which dominated the aroma are present throughout, but more as a pleasant background flavoring than the dominating force that many pumpkin beers fall victim to.

M: Very refreshing. Starts out very moist, until the ample carbonation bursts forth on the palate. It becomes crisper as it moves back in the mouth, and after swallowing has a dry finish. Really nice.

O: Although I marked it down slightly for failing to fully live up to the "porter" name, it was a tasty and refreshing beverage that came highly recommended from the beer cicerone at the store, and one that I'd recommend highly to anyone looking for a pumpkin beer. Sadly, I grabbed the last bottle on the shelf in the store, for I would have eagerly gone back for more of this excellent example of the style.

09-09-2012 19:07:58 | More by TappaKeggaBrew

RodneyFarva

Spain

2.58/5  rDev -21.3%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

a: pours a deep dark chocolate color, one-inch tan head fading to a film

s: some pumpkin, but mostly cinnamon, a strong clove spice, and nutmeg. the spices really stand out here

t: fairly thin. some spice comes though, but far reduced compared to the nose. not much pumpkin. thin mouthfeel, pretty high carbonation.

o: I was wondering where Starr Hill was going to take this as a Pumpkin/Porter beer. I would not consider it a porter - almost no flavor of roasted malts, though obviously enough to make it dark. as far as pumpkin beers go, I divide them into two categories: spice-heavy beers, and pumpkin-heavy beers. This is a decent spice-heavy beer, though I think better described as a black lager with pumpkin spices.

09-05-2012 01:23:20 | More by RodneyFarva
crwrunner

2.8/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance- Very dark brown with a huge tan head.

Smell- Has a strong smell of something clove or nutmeg maybe. I can also smell some cinnamon. Whatever it is it has a nice crisp weather spice smell. It smells like a fall beer. I don’t smell anything that would usually resemble a porter.

Taste- Dosen’t taste anything like a porter. Has a strong taste of nutmeg and cinnamon and that is just about it. It leaves your mouth with a bit of a tingiling feeling the way mint would. I actually think I might taste a bit of mint in it. It also seems a bit on the light watery side in the after taste, kind of a little flat.

Overall- This is not really what I was expecting. I guess I was expcecting something with a strong chocolate taste that a porter usually has with a hint of pumpkin in it. Instead it just taste like water with cinamaon and nutmeg sprinkled in it. I am a little disappointed. This is my first pumpkin beer and hope I will find something better.

08-27-2012 00:49:12 | More by crwrunner