Grateful Pale Ale - Starr Hill Brewery

Virginia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TheBigBoy on 04-10-2013

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grateful Pale Ale Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

4.8/5  rDev +33.7%

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A big thanks to the previous reviewer, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, a bit of mild citrus. Taste is kind of light, some hops, a touch of citrus, just a bitr on the bland side. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a sessionable beer, but just seemed to be lacking a bit.

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I was down in DC two weekends ago to partake of DC Beer Week, which is where I scored this and several other CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest ™.

From the CAN: “Founded in Charlottesville, VA.”; “The Gift of Great Beer. [undersigned] Mark A. Thompson Master Brewer”.

The Crack! was nice and loud so I celebrated with an inverted Glug, which I eventually had to back off of to avoid overflowing. It created two puffy fingers of dense, eggshell-white head with decent retention. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 – 5) with NE-quality clarity and so my new friends, Mammon, Midas and Croesus came by for a taste. When it came to my turn, I took a sniff, noting a big grapefruit citrus presence. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as pronounced as its smell, but it still had a decent amount of bitterness. I have a feeling that all of the intense AIPAs of late may have dulled my taste buds, diminishing my enjoyment of an APA. I found myself wishing that there was a greater hops presence, but that would be stylistically incorrect. What a CANundrum! Good lacing appeared as I drank it. Finish was semi-dry and quite drinkable. I CAN see putting some in the cooler, but I would probably reach for something hoppier.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%