Grateful Pale Ale - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: TheBigBoy on 04-10-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grateful Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I was down in DC two weekends ago to partake of DC Beer Week, which is where I scored this and several other CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest ™.

From the CAN: “Founded in Charlottesville, VA.”; “The Gift of Great Beer. [undersigned] Mark A. Thompson Master Brewer”.

The Crack! was nice and loud so I celebrated with an inverted Glug, which I eventually had to back off of to avoid overflowing. It created two puffy fingers of dense, eggshell-white head with decent retention. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 – 5) with NE-quality clarity and so my new friends, Mammon, Midas and Croesus came by for a taste. When it came to my turn, I took a sniff, noting a big grapefruit citrus presence. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as pronounced as its smell, but it still had a decent amount of bitterness. I have a feeling that all of the intense AIPAs of late may have dulled my taste buds, diminishing my enjoyment of an APA. I found myself wishing that there was a greater hops presence, but that would be stylistically incorrect. What a CANundrum! Good lacing appeared as I drank it. Finish was semi-dry and quite drinkable. I CAN see putting some in the cooler, but I would probably reach for something hoppier.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%