Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale - Sea Dog Brewing Company

good

Sea Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Our unique contribution to the fruit ale category features the nutty quench of wheat ale combined with the delightful aromatics and subtle fruit flavor contributed by Maine wild blueberries.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
Reviews by Guinness4me:
3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

I was expecting to turn violet, Violet! This sure packs a blueberry punch! It poured a golden hue with little head and no lace to speak of.

If you're looking for blueberries, you'll know you've found it when you pop the cap. It smells like blueberry yogurt.

The taste is very dry and hoppy with blueberries everywhere. Nothing else beer like about it other than the fizz.

The mouthfeel was watery yet sharp in carbonation. If you're looking for blueberries, drink up.

Guinness4me, Oct 24, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Well I bought this for the other half and she really liked it,me well it was ok.Poured light golden color with a almost non-existant head,aroma was Boo-Berry cereal in a glass artificial blueberry and toasted malt aromasNow saying its artificial doesnt really bother me it actually smelled decent I think,flavor was of malted wheat and blueberry not to overly bad but I wouldnt get again I dont think.

oberon, Oct 31, 2003

tbryan5, Jun 04, 2013
3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Brilliant gold with a white head. A nose like someone who was allergic to blueberries ata a quart in the next room an hour ago - a background smell (maybe it's the blueberries mixed with the Ringwood) that I found distinctly unpleasant.

The flavor is blueberry all the way through, in good proportion to the wheat & malt. Definitely grows on you as you drink it. The finish is a nice blueberry - wheat grainy malt balance. A very tasty fruit wheat beer, once you get past the nose. Definitely better straight from the bottle IMO.

sponberg, Sep 28, 2002
2.55/5  rDev -25.4%

Blueberry, that's what this beer is. The aroma is overwhelmingly blueberry with some malt. It starts sweet and becomes a blueberry flavor. There is no bitterness and finishes slightly dry. This is very drinkable if you like blueberry and don't like beer taste you'll like this.

bishopdc0, Feb 25, 2010

JakerLou, Apr 14, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +3.8%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown long neck with the freshness date clearly marked.

Appearance: Clear light yellow gold with a very thin ring of lace.

Smell: Mild esters, subtle blueberry and some malt sweetness in the nose.

Taste: Crisp with a balanced blueberry flavour that fades quickly, some sweetness from the malt and a light spicy bite from the grain and hops. Hop bitterness is relaxed yet proportioned nicely.

Notes: A pretty good fruit ale with some character on the side.

Jason, Apr 17, 2002
4.08/5  rDev +19.3%

OK... call me names if you want - I actually really like this beer! Among the "fruity" beers, this is actually one of my favorites. I suppose that could be due to the lack of blueberry beer options in the Hartford area... but... I still like it!

It pours light and translucent a yellowish gold color and it definitely smells of blueberries, with a somewhat hoppy smell as well. There is a pale off white colored head. The blueberry flavor is just a little sweet (perhaps too sweet for some, but that's why I like it!). I guess it sort of comes off tasting like a light beer but with the blueberry flavor. It feels smooth in your mouth and it goes down smoothly as well - it is a fast drink. It's cool and refreshing and now that it is getting warmer out I will likely enjoy it on a hot summer day.

BlueHammer, May 07, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap at the Half Door on Hancock Street in Quincy, Massachusetts 6/24/05.

Clear golden color, tiny head with some lacing. Pleasant smell of blueberries, assuming of course the smell of blueberries is pleasant to you, as it is to me. Taste is of plentiful blueberries with the first few sips, but the flavor fades after that.

A refreshing beer and nice change of pace.

fdrich29, Jun 26, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearance: clear, no head, dark gold

Smell: sweet blueberries and wheat

Taste: very blueberry

Mouthfeel: sweet, light, and smooth

Drinkability: This to me is the standard bearer of blueberry beer...If I have a fruit beer, I want to be able to taste the fruit it represents. For the style I believe this is the best at what it does..While it is sweet, I can drink this year round for a nice dessert beer or a session beer...I like it and think it is one of the best fruit beers I have had...For as much as I like it in a bottle as I had it for this review I love it on tap more.

tigg924, Jan 19, 2009

KolbMarley, Aug 07, 2013

Jovo, Aug 01, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +12%

Opened up this wheaty-micro from Bangor,and immediatly smelled much Maine wild blueberry. Poured in a pilsner> glass, it was a nice clear, light, gold color with a thin disipating head. A fine head was maintained ,with a medium carbonation rate. Taken to the nose , very floral hops and strong presense of definate blueberry. Smelled like it could be a breakfast cereal. Blue , flowery taste, with light maltiness. Medium bubbly mothfeel. I found This Sea Dog to be very drinkable although i would not drink many as im not really into the fruity ales. Of the ones i've had its the best. At 4.6- 4.95 ABV , normal pleasant effect to the brain and senses was achieved.

Byeast, Jan 05, 2006

chudson1992, Mar 07, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden yellow color with a thin white head, no lacing.

Smell: Blueberries, honey, and wheat.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of mild blueberries, alcohol and maybe some honey on the aftertaste.

Overall: Good, average blueberry beer. Nothing special, but not bad. Worth a try if you have the chance.

Cavanaghty, Oct 17, 2012

Tap @ The Bell In Hand. Smells and tastes like blueberry cake with powdered sugar. Pours gold with a little white head. The wheat back does come through on this beer, which is nice, but the blueberries make it just too sweet. At the same time, it is nice to have a fruit beer that has real beer flavor in it.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

dankjohn, Aug 27, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Hugh37, Aug 13, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +41.8%

This beer may not appeal to the seasoned beer connoisseur, but it will be your guilty pleasure, and your wife/girlfriend will love it. This beer goes down so smooth and so easily with an incredible taste of fresh blueberries that you won't think you're drinking beer. Is this beer?

Appearance and mouthfeel are adequate, but who am I kidding? This beer is all about the taste and the smell. I can open a bottle of this 20 minutes before my girlfriend gets home from work and the instant she walks in the door, she knows that I've been drinking this beer (and she wants one).

This is an easy drinking, high quality beer that I can't say enough good things about. I love it.

pcblion, Jan 28, 2005

clark25, Jan 08, 2013

GOBLIN, Apr 02, 2014

briandaube, Jun 02, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

hitshtwithsticks, Feb 06, 2013

williamjbauer, Jun 03, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Appears a pale golden tone with a quickly dwindling white head leaves minimal lacing. Aromatics it has a tart blueberry with sharpe wheat accents kinda a dry woody tone as weell. Flavor not overly sweet with the blueberry, a nice balance of sharp acidic wheat notes and mild blueberry flavor not like the common alco pop versions that are always at brewpubs. Mouthfeel is light body evenly carbonated easy drinking summer time feel. Drinkability not one I would drink in number but not a bad version very solid for the style.

WVbeergeek, Feb 09, 2007