Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale - Sea Dog Brewing Company

Sea Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Our unique contribution to the fruit ale category features the nutty quench of wheat ale combined with the delightful aromatics and subtle fruit flavor contributed by Maine wild blueberries.
to view more.
Ratings: 827 | Reviews: 345
Reviews by RollTide05:
3.69/5  rDev +7.6%

Well I bought this for the other half and she really liked it,me well it was ok.Poured light golden color with a almost non-existant head,aroma was Boo-Berry cereal in a glass artificial blueberry and toasted malt aromasNow saying its artificial doesnt really bother me it actually smelled decent I think,flavor was of malted wheat and blueberry not to overly bad but I wouldnt get again I dont think.

3.34/5  rDev -2.6%

Brilliant gold with a white head. A nose like someone who was allergic to blueberries ata a quart in the next room an hour ago - a background smell (maybe it's the blueberries mixed with the Ringwood) that I found distinctly unpleasant.

The flavor is blueberry all the way through, in good proportion to the wheat & malt. Definitely grows on you as you drink it. The finish is a nice blueberry - wheat grainy malt balance. A very tasty fruit wheat beer, once you get past the nose. Definitely better straight from the bottle IMO.

2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

Blueberry, that's what this beer is. The aroma is overwhelmingly blueberry with some malt. It starts sweet and becomes a blueberry flavor. There is no bitterness and finishes slightly dry. This is very drinkable if you like blueberry and don't like beer taste you'll like this.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12 oz. brown long neck with the freshness date clearly marked.

Appearance: Clear light yellow gold with a very thin ring of lace.

Smell: Mild esters, subtle blueberry and some malt sweetness in the nose.

Taste: Crisp with a balanced blueberry flavour that fades quickly, some sweetness from the malt and a light spicy bite from the grain and hops. Hop bitterness is relaxed yet proportioned nicely.

Notes: A pretty good fruit ale with some character on the side.

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

OK... call me names if you want - I actually really like this beer! Among the "fruity" beers, this is actually one of my favorites. I suppose that could be due to the lack of blueberry beer options in the Hartford area... but... I still like it!

It pours light and translucent a yellowish gold color and it definitely smells of blueberries, with a somewhat hoppy smell as well. There is a pale off white colored head. The blueberry flavor is just a little sweet (perhaps too sweet for some, but that's why I like it!). I guess it sort of comes off tasting like a light beer but with the blueberry flavor. It feels smooth in your mouth and it goes down smoothly as well - it is a fast drink. It's cool and refreshing and now that it is getting warmer out I will likely enjoy it on a hot summer day.

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Half Door on Hancock Street in Quincy, Massachusetts 6/24/05.

Clear golden color, tiny head with some lacing. Pleasant smell of blueberries, assuming of course the smell of blueberries is pleasant to you, as it is to me. Taste is of plentiful blueberries with the first few sips, but the flavor fades after that.

A refreshing beer and nice change of pace.

4.32/5  rDev +25.9%

Appearance: clear, no head, dark gold

Smell: sweet blueberries and wheat

Taste: very blueberry

Mouthfeel: sweet, light, and smooth

Drinkability: This to me is the standard bearer of blueberry beer...If I have a fruit beer, I want to be able to taste the fruit it represents. For the style I believe this is the best at what it does..While it is sweet, I can drink this year round for a nice dessert beer or a session beer...I like it and think it is one of the best fruit beers I have had...For as much as I like it in a bottle as I had it for this review I love it on tap more.

3.87/5  rDev +12.8%

Opened up this wheaty-micro from Bangor,and immediatly smelled much Maine wild blueberry. Poured in a pilsner> glass, it was a nice clear, light, gold color with a thin disipating head. A fine head was maintained ,with a medium carbonation rate. Taken to the nose , very floral hops and strong presense of definate blueberry. Smelled like it could be a breakfast cereal. Blue , flowery taste, with light maltiness. Medium bubbly mothfeel. I found This Sea Dog to be very drinkable although i would not drink many as im not really into the fruity ales. Of the ones i've had its the best. At 4.6- 4.95 ABV , normal pleasant effect to the brain and senses was achieved.

3.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden yellow color with a thin white head, no lacing.

Smell: Blueberries, honey, and wheat.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of mild blueberries, alcohol and maybe some honey on the aftertaste.

Overall: Good, average blueberry beer. Nothing special, but not bad. Worth a try if you have the chance.

Tap @ The Bell In Hand. Smells and tastes like blueberry cake with powdered sugar. Pours gold with a little white head. The wheat back does come through on this beer, which is nice, but the blueberries make it just too sweet. At the same time, it is nice to have a fruit beer that has real beer flavor in it.

4.84/5  rDev +41.1%

This beer may not appeal to the seasoned beer connoisseur, but it will be your guilty pleasure, and your wife/girlfriend will love it. This beer goes down so smooth and so easily with an incredible taste of fresh blueberries that you won't think you're drinking beer. Is this beer?

Appearance and mouthfeel are adequate, but who am I kidding? This beer is all about the taste and the smell. I can open a bottle of this 20 minutes before my girlfriend gets home from work and the instant she walks in the door, she knows that I've been drinking this beer (and she wants one).

This is an easy drinking, high quality beer that I can't say enough good things about. I love it.

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears a pale golden tone with a quickly dwindling white head leaves minimal lacing. Aromatics it has a tart blueberry with sharpe wheat accents kinda a dry woody tone as weell. Flavor not overly sweet with the blueberry, a nice balance of sharp acidic wheat notes and mild blueberry flavor not like the common alco pop versions that are always at brewpubs. Mouthfeel is light body evenly carbonated easy drinking summer time feel. Drinkability not one I would drink in number but not a bad version very solid for the style.

2.68/5  rDev -21.9%

Had on tap as a 'taster' in Tanks Tap Room, Tampa FL. Pale clear appearance with decent head and looks appealing, though after smelling the aroma knew it would not be to my liking. Mixture of sweetness and musty dryness that is not something I like, and that reflected in the taste. Initially is light and attractive in the first second of tasting, but then the hint of blueberries - though not very strong - and maybe even vanilla comes through and is simply not to my liking at all. I love blueberries...but not in a beer! Ok, so maybe I should not be reviewing it if I knew I would probably not like it, but I do like to give every beer a chance when I can.

I can imagine those who do enjoy blueberry hints in their beer would like this, as the texture and mouthfeel are clean and refreshing, but its simply not one for me. Rated accordingly to my sense of taste.

JohnW
B'ham UK (written while in Tampa FL Oct 2006)

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a bright gold with perfect clarity. The white head barely lasts and leaves very little of itself around, though a little spotty lacing does get dropped and bubbling activity is constant.
Blueberry pops out of the aroma for a few seconds then, oddly, is less strongly detectable. Light malts are also present.
Blueberry turns a little sour but not terribly so and mingles with a light pale malts and light floral and herbal hops balance. Wheat sits in this one but not as heavily as some, which works.
This is crisp and light and generally not a bad feel, but it gets a little flat and bland despite consistent carbonation; what starts as smoothness ends a little slick.

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decent golden color, though a lot more clear than I've come to expect in a wheat. Head doesn't last too long, aside from a bit of a light lacing.

This beer's really all about the scent. Heafty blueberry nose (more more pronounced than some of the other brews would have you think, recent tweaks to it perhaps?) that I can smell from clear across the room. Probably artificial, but rather nice in a scented candle sort of way. I wouldn't mind keeping some of this around just to sniff.

Which is exactly why the taste is such a letdown. The powerful scent that you can catch from across the room is followed up by a thin, watery taste. What happened? Almost none of the aroma carries over to the flavor.

Something different, though not anything I'd buy on a regular basis.

3.59/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle poured into a chalice. May 2012 notched on the bottle.

A: Pours a slightly hazy gold with a 1 finger white head. Head dissipates to the sides within a minute. No visible carbonation or lacing on sides of glass.

S: Heavy hit of blueberries. Fairly one dimensional. I love blueberries so I find it quite inviting.

T: Like the smell it starts off with loads of blueberry. Can pull out some of the wheat in there. Could have some better malt to it. Are there hops in this beer?

M: Fairly crisp. Drinkable.

Overall a great introduction to craft beer for people. On the mark as a blueberry beer but can see how it may be overpowering for some.

pick up an "orphan" of this at Trader Joes, notched fresh by April 2007

The only blueberry beer that I've ever really liked is the one from Wachusett Brewing. This falls at about the meridian of like and dislike. I'll keep it on the “like” side just because it’s not terrible and might appeal to some.

It’s an amber color that has zero head. I bet you can guess what it smells like! It’s more of a blueberry muffin aroma since it’s full on the sweet tip and that goes for the taste too. Before I knew it, I did drink the entire contents but that might be more to the credit of Monday Night Football being on and that’s drinking time.

2.45/5  rDev -28.6%

It appears that Sea Dog can't really decide what to call this beer. First Blue Paw, then Wild Blueberry, now Blueberry Wheat Beer.
pours a medium orange/yellow with a small head that disappears completely within a minute.
Aroma is candy sweet blueberry.
Taste is Very sweet at first, then a powdery blueberry flavoring followed by a mixture of the blueberry and citrus bitter hops.
A very strange combination to me, but i suppose they get what they are seeking. To me it is too much like an alcopop.

3.49/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle - I presume that this brew is made by Shipyard, since it arrived in our liquor jurisdiction at the very same time as the Shipyard products?

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden amber hue, with two chubby fingers of tightly foamy, and somewhat creamy off-white head, which leaves pretty much nil in terms of persistent lace as it quickly blows off.

It smells of sugary blueberry, a bit of strawberry candy, a hint of sharper cherry juice, an equally saccharine bready caramel malt, and faint earthy, weedy hops. The taste is thankfully much less sweet overall, though the flavours remain the same - blueberries, underripe strawberries, a doughy caramel malt, suggestions of neutered grainy wheat, a bit of earthy yeast, and still quite tame weedy, leafy hops.

The carbonation is fairly understated, barely seeming to fulfill its base support duties, the body medium-light in weight, and generally smooth, in a plain juicy sort of way. It finishes off-dry, and not as sweet as I was initially led to believe - the fruit is more or less balanced, and some edgy old-school hops round things out.

An enjoyable enough fruit beer, the blueberry guest allowed to run rampant in many of its forms - confectionery to start, all the way to a decent intersection of fruitiness and acid by the finish. Easy to drink, I could see having a few of these in the sun of a seaside summer patio.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%

The color is lighter than I like and the head was pretty small.This has a full blueberry aroma,it will fill your whole house.If you like blueberrys you will like this.It has a full strong flavor.Not really a real traditional ale flavor.This is a pretty good summer beer.This is the perfect beer for people who don't like beer.It tastes great with real blueberrys in it.My girlfriend loves this beer.

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a good finger head. Average retention. Leaves behind a sparse lacing.

Smell - Predominant blueberry aroma, backed by a subtle bready malt.

Taste - Follows the nose. Heavy blueberry character backed by a lightly toasted, bready malt. Simple, consistent; finishes as it starts.

Mouthfeel - Light body. Modeerate carbonation.

Overall - An easy drinker. Simple and flavorful, but redundant. A treat from time to time.

2.52/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz. bottle. Bought a six-pack out of curiosity and the fact that it's a wheat beer and it's hot as hell here. I can't wait for winter.

Appearance: I think Miller Lite may have a better head than this. Absolutely falls to nill immediately, along with absolutely no lacing. Hardly any bubbles in the dull yellow color of the glass. How is this possible?

Smell: Artificial, blueberry sugar-coated gum. Maybe nice for a candle for someone's apartment that may not smell up to par, but this becomes a bit too artificial and cloying to be anything worth really being able to stand. I was hoping for much more. But for someone who digs that blueberry smell, you may like this.

Taste: I don't get any traces of wheat at all in here, but rather the blueberry is too strong, overpowering everything that could possibly be redeemed. Not only that, but it stays on the palate, whether welcomed or not; its tenacity confuses and bothers me at the same time.

Mouthfeel: This, surprisingly -- I think? -- is the best thing about this beer. It's average, but it's crisp, has decent carbonation levels, a light to medium body, and is basically the only thing remotely writing about concerning this beer.

Drinkability: This could go over well with the ladies maybe; since it doesn't have the fullest body, or a great amount of flavor, the blueberry could be enough to make a session out of. And I don't mean that to rip on women at all, but for a girlfriend / wife who may not be the biggest beer fan, they make like this. Or, if you like fruit beers you may like this also, but I imagine, surely, there are better ones out there than this.

4.57/5  rDev +33.2%

A- Light in appearance, some carbonation

S- BLUEBERRIES...this is the beer with the most blueberry smell I've ever had

T- Excellent. Very light taste with the hops nicely balanced.

M- Again excellent. Very pleasant.

D- I could drink a six pack of these with ease. It is a bit sicky sweet if you have too many, but fortunately (or unfortunately) the alcohol content is low (4.6%) and you won't get wrecked in the process.

3.31/5  rDev -3.5%

Disgustingly sweet soda pop. Artificial essence blueberry. This beverage is often mixed with something else. Not so drinkable to me, but perhaps more appreciated by fruit beer lovers or children. Watery and light colour. Overly carbonated which may not be the fault at Underground Bluz in Orlando, but hey! it sells in Florida, not the greatest beer afficiando part of the world.

3.07/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Clear golden brew with a decent sized white head that falls to a collar after a few minutes.

S - Clean wheat nose with some artificial smelling bluberry syrup notes. Smells the way that I would expect a bluberry reakfast cereal to smell. Not bad at all.

T - This is almost flavorless at first, but a light bluberry freshness comes out after you swallow. Weird! A really fresh and clean summertime bluberry brew that lacks complexity but has a nice refreshing bluberry aftertaste.

M - Thin, crisp, quenching, and a bit watery.

to view more.