Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale - Sea Dog Brewing Company

Sea Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Our unique contribution to the fruit ale category features the nutty quench of wheat ale combined with the delightful aromatics and subtle fruit flavor contributed by Maine wild blueberries.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale Alström Bros

This stuff is super good it tastes just like a Blueberry milk shake.
Over all it extremly smooth going down and the after taste is soo soo good.
You have to taste this beer, and Maine is also known for it's Blue Berry's (best in the world)
All can say is this beer is just down right great and so smooth, and enjoyable.

4.92/5  rDev +43.9%

I first had this blueberry elixir when I went camping with my buddys in Georgia. I don't mind a sweet beer which is what it exactly was. Like a liquid blueberry muffin, it was smooth and refreshing. I ended up drink about ten with a bunch of other ones because they were so good.

4.84/5  rDev +41.5%

This beer may not appeal to the seasoned beer connoisseur, but it will be your guilty pleasure, and your wife/girlfriend will love it. This beer goes down so smooth and so easily with an incredible taste of fresh blueberries that you won't think you're drinking beer. Is this beer?

Appearance and mouthfeel are adequate, but who am I kidding? This beer is all about the taste and the smell. I can open a bottle of this 20 minutes before my girlfriend gets home from work and the instant she walks in the door, she knows that I've been drinking this beer (and she wants one).

This is an easy drinking, high quality beer that I can't say enough good things about. I love it.

4.84/5  rDev +41.5%

This beer is straight up one of my favorite new beers for a hot summer day!!!

A-It's extremely light in color and has a brilliant golden shine to it which surprised me considering the fact that it's a blueberry beer.

S-Seriously, the smell of awesome blueberries is absolutely amazing. After pouring, I could smell the beer distinctly even though I was 2.5 ft away from it while it was sitting on the counter. Unreal!

T-Again the amazing smell isn't left alone when you take a drink of this beer and the blueberry taste just hits you. It's for sure not overwhelming but a taste similar to blueberry pancake batter as I describe it.

M-Smooth and clean with no residual taste in the mouth after drinking besides the aroma of blueberry in the air.

D-Smooth, clean and delicious and easy to have multiple pints or bottles.

4.78/5  rDev +39.8%

I tried this one at a pizza and beer resteraunt in Clarksville, TN. called "Old Chicago". After looking over their menu of beers, this one jumped out as one I have yet to see available in Texas, so naturally I ordered one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, with a best before date of Dec. 2006.

Appearance - Poured a light amber color, with a small head, which quickly faded, and left no lacing on the glass.

Aroma - Strong blueberry smell, and thats about it.

Taste - Blueberry flavor, and lots of it.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation felt to be just right. Light, and easy to drink.

Drinkability - Of all the fruit beers I have tried, this one stands out as one of the best IMO. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, but the blueberry flavoring, easily makes this one, very enjoyable. Not exactly one that I would drink a six pack of in one sitting, but one that I would enjoy after a meal, or maybe during a session, for a little change of flavor.

4.76/5  rDev +39.2%

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

Found this beer while visiting Maine. Best blueberry beer I have had! Not too hoppy, very smooth with a sweet blueberry flavor.

4.68/5  rDev +36.8%

4.64/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nothing too special, it's the other attributes of this beer that will either appeal or repeal you.

Smell: Is very strong of sweet blueberries, this beer has no shame on how sweet it smells.

Taste: Delicious but very sweet. If you like fruit beers to be sweet (but not as sweet as a lambic that has no tart) then this is the perfect beer.

Mouthfeel: Blue Paw tends to be more syrupy than most blueberry ales which can be a bit overwhelming if drank in succession.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite beers when I'm looking for something sweet and that has no subtly.

4.64/5  rDev +35.7%

Simply put the best Blueberry beer by far ever brewed. Made with lots of fresh Maine blueberries, the taste and smell reminds one of Blueberry syrup over Blueberry pancakes. They say Blueberries are good for you so drinking this beer should help my health :-)

Very smooth with the taste of the blueberries lingering on your tongue. Crisp and refreshing any time of the year.

4.64/5  rDev +35.7%

Pours a gold yellow, very little head that dissipates quickly
smells great. Smells of blueberries and light wheat. Tastes just as it smells. One of the few beers that do that. Mouthfeel is decent for such little head. I could drink this everyday all day.

4.62/5  rDev +35.1%

I had a bottle of this at our local Brew house was recomended by the bar Tender.
Pours a pale Yellow with a small head that leaves quickly.

Smells of Blue Berrry the minute you open it, a very pleasant smell that stays.

Taste
It has just the right amount of Sweet blueberry Flavor not to little not to much a perfect balence.The Best Blue Berry Ale I have ever Had.

Mouth Feel
It is highly refreshing in your mouth and it is highly drinkable. I liked it very much and I am going to see if I can get a case of it at my Beer Distributer for some pleasant Summer Drinking.

4.61/5  rDev +34.8%

Pours clear bright yellow-tan; the foamy head dissipated too quickly for me to give high appearance marks, though.

But the smell was brilliant. Very minimal hops if any; a clear pronounced blueberry essence, not sweet but rather dry, which characterizes the mouthfeel too. Almost too dry, with little round creamyness. But no citrus pungence, just crisp with very very light hop/malt aftertaste to distinguish it between a beer and a soda.

If ever there was a beer to drink with a fruit pie, this might be it! Highly drinkable.

4.59/5  rDev +34.2%

Had this one at the Pub in Amherst. It poured out with a light, murky gold appearance; pretty thin head. I smelled the great fragrances of crisp, strong blueberries that definitely increased anticipation. Finally, when I sipped the drink I was amazed: sharp, sharp blueberry that was very excellent. A pretty good carbonation helped make it light and refreshing. Overall, an excellent ale.

4.57/5  rDev +33.6%

A- Light in appearance, some carbonation

S- BLUEBERRIES...this is the beer with the most blueberry smell I've ever had

T- Excellent. Very light taste with the hops nicely balanced.

M- Again excellent. Very pleasant.

D- I could drink a six pack of these with ease. It is a bit sicky sweet if you have too many, but fortunately (or unfortunately) the alcohol content is low (4.6%) and you won't get wrecked in the process.

Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale from Sea Dog Brewing Company