2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale - Sea Dog Brewing Company

Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat AleSea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale

good

Sea Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Our unique contribution to the fruit ale category features the nutty quench of wheat ale combined with the delightful aromatics and subtle fruit flavor contributed by Maine wild blueberries.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 638 | Reviews: 319 | Show All Ratings:
BOSMECH

This stuff is super good it tastes just like a Blueberry milk shake.
Over all it extremly smooth going down and the after taste is soo soo good.
You have to taste this beer, and Maine is also known for it's Blue Berry's (best in the world)
All can say is this beer is just down right great and so smooth, and enjoyable.

06-27-2012 22:12:57 | More by BOSMECH
Portertime

4.93/5  rDev +44.2%

I first had this blueberry elixir when I went camping with my buddys in Georgia. I don't mind a sweet beer which is what it exactly was. Like a liquid blueberry muffin, it was smooth and refreshing. I ended up drink about ten with a bunch of other ones because they were so good.

09-15-2006 01:00:34 | More by Portertime
pcblion

4.85/5  rDev +41.8%

This beer may not appeal to the seasoned beer connoisseur, but it will be your guilty pleasure, and your wife/girlfriend will love it. This beer goes down so smooth and so easily with an incredible taste of fresh blueberries that you won't think you're drinking beer. Is this beer?

Appearance and mouthfeel are adequate, but who am I kidding? This beer is all about the taste and the smell. I can open a bottle of this 20 minutes before my girlfriend gets home from work and the instant she walks in the door, she knows that I've been drinking this beer (and she wants one).

This is an easy drinking, high quality beer that I can't say enough good things about. I love it.

01-28-2005 23:46:00 | More by pcblion
fatalbert23

4.85/5  rDev +41.8%

This beer is straight up one of my favorite new beers for a hot summer day!!!

A-It's extremely light in color and has a brilliant golden shine to it which surprised me considering the fact that it's a blueberry beer.

S-Seriously, the smell of awesome blueberries is absolutely amazing. After pouring, I could smell the beer distinctly even though I was 2.5 ft away from it while it was sitting on the counter. Unreal!

T-Again the amazing smell isn't left alone when you take a drink of this beer and the blueberry taste just hits you. It's for sure not overwhelming but a taste similar to blueberry pancake batter as I describe it.

M-Smooth and clean with no residual taste in the mouth after drinking besides the aroma of blueberry in the air.

D-Smooth, clean and delicious and easy to have multiple pints or bottles.

07-28-2009 02:37:33 | More by fatalbert23
beeragent

4.8/5  rDev +40.4%

I tried this one at a pizza and beer resteraunt in Clarksville, TN. called "Old Chicago". After looking over their menu of beers, this one jumped out as one I have yet to see available in Texas, so naturally I ordered one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, with a best before date of Dec. 2006.

Appearance - Poured a light amber color, with a small head, which quickly faded, and left no lacing on the glass.

Aroma - Strong blueberry smell, and thats about it.

Taste - Blueberry flavor, and lots of it.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation felt to be just right. Light, and easy to drink.

Drinkability - Of all the fruit beers I have tried, this one stands out as one of the best IMO. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, but the blueberry flavoring, easily makes this one, very enjoyable. Not exactly one that I would drink a six pack of in one sitting, but one that I would enjoy after a meal, or maybe during a session, for a little change of flavor.

10-10-2006 00:50:13 | More by beeragent
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.68/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nothing too special, it's the other attributes of this beer that will either appeal or repeal you.

Smell: Is very strong of sweet blueberries, this beer has no shame on how sweet it smells.

Taste: Delicious but very sweet. If you like fruit beers to be sweet (but not as sweet as a lambic that has no tart) then this is the perfect beer.

Mouthfeel: Blue Paw tends to be more syrupy than most blueberry ales which can be a bit overwhelming if drank in succession.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite beers when I'm looking for something sweet and that has no subtly.

12-05-2007 01:07:05 | More by deltatauhobbit
Schmidts

4.65/5  rDev +36%

I had a bottle of this at our local Brew house was recomended by the bar Tender.
Pours a pale Yellow with a small head that leaves quickly.

Smells of Blue Berrry the minute you open it, a very pleasant smell that stays.

Taste
It has just the right amount of Sweet blueberry Flavor not to little not to much a perfect balence.The Best Blue Berry Ale I have ever Had.

Mouth Feel
It is highly refreshing in your mouth and it is highly drinkable. I liked it very much and I am going to see if I can get a case of it at my Beer Distributer for some pleasant Summer Drinking.

07-26-2009 02:02:25 | More by Schmidts
Katahdin

4.65/5  rDev +36%

Simply put the best Blueberry beer by far ever brewed. Made with lots of fresh Maine blueberries, the taste and smell reminds one of Blueberry syrup over Blueberry pancakes. They say Blueberries are good for you so drinking this beer should help my health :-)

Very smooth with the taste of the blueberries lingering on your tongue. Crisp and refreshing any time of the year.

11-12-2009 18:26:38 | More by Katahdin
fitzy84

4.63/5  rDev +35.4%

Had this one at the Pub in Amherst. It poured out with a light, murky gold appearance; pretty thin head. I smelled the great fragrances of crisp, strong blueberries that definitely increased anticipation. Finally, when I sipped the drink I was amazed: sharp, sharp blueberry that was very excellent. A pretty good carbonation helped make it light and refreshing. Overall, an excellent ale.

01-22-2008 02:06:28 | More by fitzy84
drewy813

4.63/5  rDev +35.4%

Pours a gold yellow, very little head that dissipates quickly
smells great. Smells of blueberries and light wheat. Tastes just as it smells. One of the few beers that do that. Mouthfeel is decent for such little head. I could drink this everyday all day.

03-09-2011 23:55:27 | More by drewy813
katybee

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +34.5%

Pours clear bright yellow-tan; the foamy head dissipated too quickly for me to give high appearance marks, though.

But the smell was brilliant. Very minimal hops if any; a clear pronounced blueberry essence, not sweet but rather dry, which characterizes the mouthfeel too. Almost too dry, with little round creamyness. But no citrus pungence, just crisp with very very light hop/malt aftertaste to distinguish it between a beer and a soda.

If ever there was a beer to drink with a fruit pie, this might be it! Highly drinkable.

07-28-2009 20:46:18 | More by katybee
Guardian

4.58/5  rDev +33.9%

A- Light in appearance, some carbonation

S- BLUEBERRIES...this is the beer with the most blueberry smell I've ever had

T- Excellent. Very light taste with the hops nicely balanced.

M- Again excellent. Very pleasant.

D- I could drink a six pack of these with ease. It is a bit sicky sweet if you have too many, but fortunately (or unfortunately) the alcohol content is low (4.6%) and you won't get wrecked in the process.

01-01-2008 21:20:29 | More by Guardian
Dithyramb

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +32.5%

Sampled at the Ogunquit Lobster pound in preparation for my first slice of Maine (supposedly) wild blueberry pie. Poured very clear boden with light bodied head that died rather quickly. Regardless, the ring left nice lacing.

Amazing smelling brew of fresh baked blueberry. The malts and the blueberries would be the exact smell one would enjoy while baking blueberry muffins.

Comes off as dessert ina bottle. The fresh blueberry flavor (not some canned crap) is the main flavor. Light creaminess and biscuity tones on the finish. Just enough carbonation is here to keep it from becoming syrupy and unenjoyable. Still medium bodied with a lingering sweetness.

Overall this is a solid fruit brew that is worth a few.

08-16-2006 17:39:02 | More by Dithyramb
erosier

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +32.5%

This beer is one for the ages, if you like fruity beers that taste like the fruit. The fruit taste is very powerful and you can tell from when you first pour it because it smells like blueberry. It is a very sweet wheat beer that makes it very drinkable and very refreshing. Since the blueberry is so present in the smell and taste, it is a seriously fruity beer that even your 8yr old daughter would enjoy.

10-04-2007 17:40:18 | More by erosier
cdizinno

South Carolina

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass from a growler purchased at Total Wine in Columbia.

A: Clear golden yellow with a very thin white head and minimal lacing.

S: Bluberries! This batch(I'll explain later) mainly smells like blueberry pancake mix. Kind of a wierd flour/egg/milk mix of smells that are dominated by the bluberries.

T&M: Crisp with blueberries that slowly fade through a mainly oily lager type beer taste. Mostly malty sweet. Hop bitterness is there and balanced nicely.

Back to the "this batch" comment; All of these fruit beers that are mass produced come with a considerable 'inconsistency' factor. Usually, this is the best blueberry ale that I have had in recent years. Atlantic Brewing used to have the best 'Blueberry Ale' when it was actually brewed in Bar Harbour, Maine, but now that it has reappeared in recent years, I believe it has lost it's quality through the contract brewing process. Sea Dog still gets my vote for best blueberry available today, especially since they brew it in Maine and get those blueberries fresh.

Serving type: growler

06-06-2010 18:37:36 | More by cdizinno
RBorsato

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Labelled as: "Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Beer" ... they appear to have changed name and labelling.

Clear straw color with a nice moderate-full white head and nice carbonation. Nice blueberry fruit aroma and flavor. NOt overly extract-like ... almost smells like real fruit; not very tart like many blueberry fruit beers. Medium-light bodied and smooth with a crisp fruity finish.

Very nice ! My only question: real fruit or not ? See 2 notes below:

Per Label: Wheat Beer with Natural Flavor Added"

Per SDBC website: 4.6% ABV. Wheat ale combined with Maine wild blueberries.

Best Before: Feb '07 (notched)
Tasted: 09/07/06

09-28-2006 17:31:16 | More by RBorsato
auxiliary

Rhode Island

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

A - Golden color with a bit of a head, not much lace.

S - Nice blueberry aroma, best smelling blueberry ale I have had.

T - Best blueberry tasting beer I have tried. Lots of blueberry taste.

M - Nice blueberry feel, mmm

D - The first time I had a blueberry ale it was on tap and it was with real blueberries. Pur yourself a glass of this with real blueberries, just don't do it around the guys.LOL. Best ale I have had out of the 3 that I have tried.

01-22-2007 00:18:18 | More by auxiliary
chefhatt

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

The appearance I a light golden color didn't have a lot of head but a nice thin lace around edge of glass. A very inviting aroma of fresh picked blueberries. Great light refreshing taste of wheat and blueberries that are inviting. Have a great mouth feel with a little carbonation to it. I would drink it again.

12-15-2009 03:47:26 | More by chefhatt
Ford

4.48/5  rDev +31%

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Ok, this is way better than the only other blueberry beer I've tried.. which was a Buffalo Bills....

Plenty of blueberry in the smell and the first taste... but you get the wheatiness in there also.

This beer is very smooth and very easy to drink... man.. I can't wait to have this on a hot summer day.

I really like this beer. I'll be picking up a six pack here and there to enjoy.

03-07-2013 02:50:20 | More by Ford
kneeland

4.47/5  rDev +30.7%

I love this beer. It's not something I would drink a lot of since it is so flavorful, but I enjoy every drop when I order it. It is exactly what it says it is, a wheat ale with a blueberry flavor. So many flavored beers are not flavored enough, or are over flavored. This has the perfect blend.

03-31-2010 21:42:24 | More by kneeland
Nesued

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +29.5%

Appearance - A clear golden color with an ample vibrant carbonation presence. A thin head is formed upon pour with little case.

Smell - Very pleasing blueberry aroma which to me implies a well made/balanced attempt. Not overbearing in the least. Since it is a wheat brew, I think I caught a mild malt aroma. Again, not at all a sickly overbearing fruit aroma.

Taste - Very nicely balanced blueberry and wheat taste. As pronounced as the aroma was, so is the taste. My opinion is that they hit the balance right on the nose with this one! Nice body with the malty ale presence.

Mouthfeel - Nice roll of the brew around my mouth. Again, I cannot tout enough the fine balance of the fruity taste. Good drinking beer. The carbonation assisted nicely in supporting the presence.

Drinkability - In my opinion, the best blueberry beer around. Nicely balanced with a soft fade at the end. Not a bite around! I would indeed order another.

08-27-2006 18:11:57 | More by Nesued
mralphabet

4.4/5  rDev +28.7%

My favorite fruit beer...

Served in a chilled glass

White head that disappears quickly... beer has a very slightly red hue to it.... Smells great!!! very blueberry... The blueberry flavor hits the mouth right at the begining and finishes with smoothly..

Great beer for those hot summer evenings.

A must try for those just starting to try fruit beers...

09-29-2006 15:21:30 | More by mralphabet
tigg924

4.35/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearance: clear, no head, dark gold

Smell: sweet blueberries and wheat

Taste: very blueberry

Mouthfeel: sweet, light, and smooth

Drinkability: This to me is the standard bearer of blueberry beer...If I have a fruit beer, I want to be able to taste the fruit it represents. For the style I believe this is the best at what it does..While it is sweet, I can drink this year round for a nice dessert beer or a session beer...I like it and think it is one of the best fruit beers I have had...For as much as I like it in a bottle as I had it for this review I love it on tap more.

01-19-2009 04:19:02 | More by tigg924
finepaws

4.3/5  rDev +25.7%

BooBerry cereal anyone? For me, I loved this beer. That blueberry taste, through and through. It poured a clear yellow, with a thin head. Little bubbles came up from the bottom and sides through the whole glass. Smelled the blueberries the minute I popped the top. Tasted just the way it smelled. All I could think of was BooBerry cereal, my favorite as a kid. Mouthfeel was light, and crisp. Had this one by the pool, then again for dessert after dinner. Glad I had a 6 pack. Great summer beer!

06-21-2004 00:18:37 | More by finepaws
MrSeth

4.28/5  rDev +25.1%

App: Pours out as a medium golden, almost light copper color body, with just a minimal white head forming. The nose reaches out with very fresh blueberry greeting. Just barely hazy with a little bubbly. Sm: Well.. fresh blueberries, really nice effect. Also some toasty cereal-wheat aroma. Ta/Mf: The balance of sweet fruit and wheat ale is wonderful. So often a wheat ale fusion like this doesn't work out that this is a very welcome surprise. Da: High. This would be a good dessert beer, but it would also have enough yarbles to be a session ale as well.

04-09-2006 01:56:09 | More by MrSeth