Ohota Krepkoye (Strong) - Heineken St.Petersburg Brewery Ltd.

Ohota Krepkoye (Strong)Ohota Krepkoye (Strong)

poor

Heineken St.Petersburg Brewery Ltd.
Russian Federation

Euro Strong Lager |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 06-27-2003

Ratings: 13 | Reviews: 9
3.47/5  rDev +75.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden straw color with two-finger fluffy off-white head that quickly fades to a thin layer. Decent lacing.

S: Sweet malt and honey.

T: OK, this is a sweet beer. They put sugar in it (according to the label), but then again, so do the Belgians. The drawback to this vis-à-vis a Belgian beer is the overall lack of complexity. The worst part has to be the harsh aftertaste. I strongly suspected rice, but it's not listed in the ingredients.

M: Rich, full-bodied and warming. Good carbonation.

D: Well, I wouldn't drink more than one of these.

1.61/5  rDev -18.7%

500mL brown glass bottle my sister brought me back from St. Petersburg. Updated label from the one in the photo - OXOTA from bottom left to top right in white writing on red background across the main label, a gold fist with a banner saying "PEVO" in Cyrillic above it. 8% underneath KPETTKOE (forgive the two Ts representing a capital P) let me know it wasn't the normal 4.5% version.

App: Decent head dissipates to slightly more than just a film. Lacing is decent, leaving line-like traces across the glass. Body is a clear, dark yellow.

Smell: When I cracked this I could smell a cheap malt-liquor/skunky hop brew, and that stays. But there is also a curious yeast note there which brings it up a notch. I'm reviewing this against the style, which in Australia has not produced too many good beers, mainly due to the time and handling of import.

Taste: Ewww! I deliberately left the tasting till after appearance and smell were well-defined. I now dislike this beer. It's crap, tastes like cheap malt, it's also skunky, and generally unpleasant. Wow, what a definition! No pleasant characters to define here. This beer's going to have a funny rating.

Mouthfeel only prolongs the agony of taste. There's two places for this beer: In my stomach or elsewhere - in an unopened bottle, in someone else's hand, in the sink, I don't care where. Having this beer's rich flavours in your mouth is pure misery.

Drinkability: You'd have to be an idiot to drink more than one. Although it does leave you with a warm feeling in your chest. For that, I'll go one better than awful.

Overall: Deceptively undrinkable. Ask your relatives to bring something nice back instead, even if it's bought in Heathrow, Paris or Frankfurt airport! (actually get them to bring you a nice fresh czech 'sner if they can!)

1.4/5  rDev -29.3%

Simply a wretched beer. For a lager, pours a distressingly murky gold tinged with beige. Aroma is sweet corn adjunct, overlayed with fusel alcohol. Flavor bears a sickly-sweet cheap malt that is quickly overwhelmed by solvent alcohol flavors. On par with Steel Reserve malt liquor, but that may actually be a little better. I tried to give this a chance to win me over, but as it warmed it only got worse. I asked why I was doing this to myself, and, lacking any meaningful reason, introduced the rest of the beer to my sink.

3.36/5  rDev +69.7%

16.9 oz brown bottle reads "nubo OXOTA Krepkoye Ohota".

Although it's clearly sweeter than the standard Ohota lager, this beer still remains very much the same. Its clear, yellowish-gold body is topped by a short but creamy bright-white head that holds fairly well and leaves some very nice lace throughout the glass. The nose delivers a sweet, clearly adjunct-enhanced maltiness and some delicate grassy (and even somewhat floral hops). The body is medium but dextrinous; with a delicate crispness in the mouth due to its restrained carbonation. The flavor offers mainly sweet malt (but it's clean), balanced by a firm bitterness and some grassy, floral, and lightly spicy hop flavor (or is that spiciness actually alcohol? - regardless, the alcohol is well-masked throughout). It finishes drying but not drawn out, with a sweet dollop of malt that fades to leaves some minor lingering bitterness and hop flavor. Not bad.

1.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Ain't nothing' like a Russian malt likka, yo...

Very pale yellow coloration, adequate, if slime, layer of white foam resting above, active carbonation, rising from the bottom.
Aroma: typical traces of adjuncts, corn and such, a trifle sickly, but not overtly offensive, just more or less unpleasant.
Taste: buttery, then harsh, as the 8.2% abv juts out and intrude all areas of the senses, without any defense. There's precious little body, and very little flavor, so the booze is in command here. Smallish hop presence, tiny tidbits of malty flavors, but overall this is a thinly veiled alcohol delivery system. Actually doesn't taste too horrible, but there are little redemptions to be found in the flavor, what there is, that would outweight the brutal onslaught of alcohol. There is some flavor, but it's only a faint hint of citrus and salt, and that's not good enough.
I'm not a drain-pour guy, I sit with every terrible beer, as if on a dare, I have to finish the bottle, to be real, yo...but that has it's limits. Can't take much more of this, I'm afraid 1/2 the contents will be introduced to my plumbing.

1.53/5  rDev -22.7%

Whew! I think I may have found a weapon of mass destruction! Take Miller High Life, add a bit more sweetness and a ton more alcohol. This is what you get. It's almost like someone accidently spilled some rubbing alcohol and a few thousand pounds of sugar in this stuff. Not sure what they are going for, but they got something nasty out of it. The mouthfeel makes me feel like a sleezt whore. It leaves some sort of nasty thick film in your mouth. Sure, I tear it down like this, but the fact of the matter is, is that it's still better than Schlitz Bull. I honestly don't know if I can finish this one. Guess my curiosity got the better of me on this one. It's funny, the more I drink it, the worse the review gets.

2.55/5  rDev +28.8%

Label Lingo and bottle babble: 1 Pint 0.9 fl. Oz. Imperial Pint browner. Dual labeled.

Light pale straw and struggling head. Zero carbonation bubbles, save for a one or two escapers. Thin off white cap that settles to a ring collar.

Grainy adjunct scents possibly corn. Grassy nose.

First Swigs: White wine rough chardonnay. Citrous notes. Lingering aftertastes of Pez candy powder. Some brewed tea and apple peel & apple sauce flavors. Somewhat medicinal.

Chalky powdery thin watery feel. Soft & steady carbonation.

Last Swigs: Corn adjunct apple sauce lager Considering the 8.2 & ABV (and $1.65 price tag) this is finishable for a one time curiosity. Nothing great. Got to be a bit choke-in-a-glass towards the end. And the purpose of this beer is???

Beer is good. Happy RUSKI beering.

1.2/5  rDev -39.4%

My bottle says 8.2%, but same difference. Pours a fizzy straw color that looks like many cheap American lagers. Pretty much no head in this disaster of a beer. Smell has a sweet corny flaovr to it, revealing the cheap brewing process that was probably used to get the ABV this high. Taste is aweful. Too sweet, with a strong alcohol flavor that instantly reminded me of a hangover. Bad beer.

2.23/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours yellow gold under a thin bubbly head that fades quickly. No lace, no collar worth mentioning. The nose is tinny, metallic, with a touch of alcohol. The mouth is tingly sweet but simultaneously thin. The taste is all sweet alcohol (sugar added), with just the smallest touch of malt. No hops anywhere to be found. Whatever other tastes are there are quickly chased by the alcohol, leaving a sickly-sweet aftertaste. I couldn't finish it.

Ohota Krepkoye (Strong) from Heineken St.Petersburg Brewery Ltd.