Porteris - Aldaris

good

Aldaris visit their website
Latvia

Baltic Porter |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBob on 09-12-2002)
4.72/5  rDev +27.2%

Wow was this a pleasant surprise....is there a category for "Milk/Sweet" Porters...Thought this was more of an imperial porter and at 6.8% it should be but there is not a smidgeon of alcohol flavor in this...rather it is deliciously sweet...almost like a milk shake..Drinkability???.I had to start up my computer and really had to control myself to keep some in the glass to review by the time I got things booted up...I love this Porter....It has a wonderful sweet caramel.milk shake like flavor....If you're looking for a dry Porter with some hopping look elsewhere....The mouthfeel is thick and creamy.....maybe a tad oversweet for some...

A beer that fits my favor profile to a tee....thick...sweet....creamy..tasty.....high abv....it has it all for me....if you can find this I highly suggest you try it, particularly if you're a fan of sweet stouts like Watneys or Mackesons....This seems to be the Porter version of those...

ZAP, Feb 24, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Extremely dark brown colorthick off-white head. Smells of roasted malt, alcohol, and something that I would call vinous. Taste is very full annd smooth, sith the alcohol and hops providing an interesting finish. Coffee and raisins are present in the taste. Mouthfeel is ful and creamy. Delicious Porter, probably the best one I have had.

TastyTaste, Jun 13, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Porteris pours jet black from a 11.2 fl oz bottle. Big tan head forms with small dense bubbles. This is really a deep deep red upon closer examination, but for the casual glance, its black.

Nose is big caramel malt, licorice, figs, and prune. Palate is licorice, figs, sweet caramel malt, and alcohol. After taste is licorice, sweet caramel malt, and drying hops with the warmth of alcohol flowing from the palate to the stomach.

Complex and very tasty with a nice warming after glow. Aldaris Porteris from Riga Latvia is among one of the better porters, flavorful and will not disappoint.

BeerBob, Sep 12, 2002
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Another great example of Baltic Porters. First of all, nice bottle, reniniscent of Rigas Melnais Balzams. Great color, plenty of aroma as well as of natural sweetness that doesn't insult a conscious beer-lover. Exceptional aftertaste. Good with smoked ham, serious seafood and on its own. Cheers!

ernie, May 23, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This beer is a dark ruby. The brown head recedes to an edging in seconds. Lacing is truncated. The aroma is milky sweet and bittersweet at the same time. The roasted and chocolate flavors are really subdued in this porter. I want to knock it because the roastiness level isn't where I'd like, but this just tastes too damn good to knock it. To me, it almost tastes more like a Milk Stout/ Porter Hybrid....and a damn good one at that. There's a sweet aspect to this beer that would probably seem out of place in other porters, but really accentuates this one nicely. Milk sugar and brown sugar come to mind. Lactic sweetness. The carbonation level of this beer is just right to lend a high drinkability factor. Body is about medium-full.

Thank you Brother Zap for the nice little Imperial Porter.

Bighuge, Feb 25, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Sampling right now on 4/25/14. Comes in a nice 500ml (16.9 ounce) bottle and is different than the one in the picture. Paid $2.99 for this single bottle at Spirit World in Omaha last week. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage "Schlitz" glass goblet.

Pours actually a pitch black in color with a small beige head that settles down to a very thin layer on top with most around the sides of the glass. Some spotty lacing is seen. The aroma is of roasted malts and brown sugar. Very nice! The taste ia about the same with a hint of dark fruits coming through at the end along with the brown sugar. A really tasty brew with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all with perfect carbonation for this type of brew style. Never had a Baltic Porter let alone from Latvia.

BeerWithMike, Apr 25, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Wow! What a surprise. I have never hear of this beer or even had a beer from Latvia before and this one *fantastic* porter.

Appearance: Pours a dark red brown color almost black with a light brown tan head that is thick and sticky.

Smell: The aroma is surprisingly reminiscent of Kalluah.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Chocolate, Dark chocolate malts. Rum, Kalluah, coffee; blended in a silky smooth body. Absolutely delicious.

Drinkability: I only had the opportunity to sample this beer. I am going to need to seek it out to truly enjoy this one again. It is exceptional and went down almost to quickly to document =)

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jun 29, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a rich, mahogany brown with a touch of red. good head and lacing.
Smell is malt, smoke, fruit, nut, hops late.
Taste is chocolate, malt, smoke, nuts, molasses and hops. A wonderful complexity and well balanced.
Mouthfeel is smooth, rich, full-bodied and warms the throat.
Drinkability: all day long!! Goes well with food or alone. A exquisite brew.

PorterLambic, Nov 23, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +19.9%

Ya know . . . lately, I've just been craving Baltic Porters. Maybe I'm just getting in touch with my Eastern European ancestry, I don't know. But I do know that I love-love-love the style.

And this is a great example of it. Pleasantly nutty, a definate smokey 'rauchbier'-like presence, coupled with plum pudding and milk chocolate with maple syrup.

Damn, there is a lot of great stuff going on with this beer.

Really freakin' good.

I gotta say, I am very much in love with the present cold-spell that Indy is having. These beers won't be as good come summer.

shbobdb, Apr 07, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

My first experience with a Baltic Porter came about a year ago with this very beer. I've had many other examples of the style since then, but this will be the first time I return to the Aldaris.

APPEARANCE: Pours a deep brown into a becker glass with slight reddish-brown highlights. The head is massive and creamy and tan in color. When it finally drops, it stabilizes as a thick full coating with tons of lacing. Gorgeous!

SMELL: I only recently became aware that a Baltic Porter is traditionally a lager. And this beer smells like it's just that. It's fairly clean with the smell of lager yeast. Otherwise the aromas are not too intense, but some dark chocolate and dark berry-type fruit come through unmistakably. As the beer warms, the aromas intensify considerably and a mild roasty character comes through.

TASTE: The flavors in this beer are absolutely massive. Chocolate and roasted coffee-like flavors dominate but make way for a significant licorice and dark fruit element. The finish is fairly clean and again reminiscent of a lager, but a slightly harsh roasted flavor peeks out just a bit, as does a hint of alcohol.

MOUTHFEEL: The reason to drink Baltic Porters. Massively thick and chewy yet silky smooth. Carbonation level is appropriately low.

DRINKABILITY: I could drink this forever. For such a milkshake-thick beer, it goes quick, and the ABV is low enough not to get in the way.

Just a wonderful example of a delicious style. I'm thrilled I was able to revisit this and plan on doing so again in the future.

jmalex, Sep 26, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

A: Dark brown with a very slight amberish shade. Thick whitish tan head that lingers and leaves decent lacing.

S: Sweet smell with a faint hint of malts.

T: Very nice. Sweet and creamy butterscotch flavor that balances well the the roasted malts. Great flavor composition.

M: Thicker than I expected, which was nice. Has a good amount of chew to it. Thick for it's style.

D: Very drinkable. Tastes good, and it came in a nice large bottle. For only $2 and change.

Overall: Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the beer. I exceeded my expectations and delivered with a nice flavor of butterscotch and malts. Great flavor + large bottle + cheep price = Great drinkin beer.

bgildea, Jun 10, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

I took this out of the refrigerator about 45 minutes ago to let it warm up a bit. Half-litre bottle pours a dark chestnut, nearly black, with a big brown head that smells strongly of toffee and big malts with a burnt component. Very full body (I don't know why some are calling this medium or medium light), this beer is big and round, with very sweet malts backed less by bitterness than an interesting sourness. Who doesn't love a sweet & sour combination? Very fascinating. I highly recommend this intriguing beer, and recommend letting it warm for a while before pouring it. I'm a huge fan of Baltic porters and consider this one the best I've had so far. It's slightly lower in alcohol than most in its class, yet twice as complex.

droomyster, Jan 27, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It's basically fermented chocolate malt combined with fresh ground roasted coffee. I can really taste the chocolate and the coffee brings an intensity I rarely taste in a beer. Porteris also has a creaminess to it that complements the chocolate/coffee mixture very well. This was a very, very filling beer and one that I could not drink all night with. Personally this is a great beer to have right before I go to bed.

granger10, Jul 06, 2003
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type: Half liter (16.9 fl. oz) bottle

Appearance - Very dark brown, almost black color, with a slightly brown foam head.

Smell - Very malty and sweet, notes of caramel and licorice

Taste - As the smell would suggest, quite sweet. Lots of malt and caramel flavor, with licorice, and perhaps some coffee or chocolate notes in there as well. Hidden alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Medium/Medium thick, and syrupy body, with light carbonation.

Drinkability - Not a session beer, but pretty drinkable for it's ABV.

I've only tried a few Baltic Porters, but so far, this one remains my favorite. A great beer I definitely recommend to any fan of dark, sweet beers. Also, not very expensive, so a great deal too.

Flightoficarus, Jul 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

$1.99/1pt 0.9 fl.oz. 6.8% ABV. My first Latvian beer. Pours out to a clear dark brown, but not approaching black. Forms a whipped creamy tan head with amazing retention and lacing. Wonderful looking stuff. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is ripe with dark fruits...raisins, dates and figs in droves with a touch of metals and an interesting acidity. Mouthfeel is big...syrupy, dense body with a sheen on the tongue and a tartness in the finish. Taste is as expected for a baltic porter with lots of dark fruits and amber/lightly roasted malts. There is a slight wiff of alcohol in the finish as well as some faint metals. I don't know where the sourness comes from (lactose?) and it's hard to describe but is somewhat metallic. Otherwise cleanly fermented. Tobacco and prunes in the finish. Makes my mouth feel like I just smoked a cigarette.

This is a very good Baltic porter, especially considering the price. On the cheap, I'll still stick with Lion Stout (which I consider to be a Baltic Porter). Sinebrychoff and D.Carnegie Stark are better if cost isn't an issue. Surprised. I would drink this again. Recommended.

Mitchster, Jul 28, 2006
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A true Baltic Porter, brewed by Latvia's biggest brewery Aldaris, which is owned by Baltic Beverages Holdings. Additionally, this porter appears to be the only one brewed in the small country of Latvia.

A clear, deep ruby stained mahogany body is capped by a creamy lid of light tan foam. It's retention is good, and it maintains a thin surface covering throughout the first half of the glass. Some limited spotty lace also adds to the appearance. The nose is pleasantly sweet with notes of toffee and raisins. The body is firm and the carbonation is very fine and soft; leaving it quite silky in the mouth with an almost liqueur-like feel that's probably due in part to it's 6.8% alcohol by volume. The flavor is richly malty, and tempered with a clear note of alcohol that helps to thin it and leaves a mild pepperiness in the finish. It's fruity (raisin, fig) although it's probably a lager; and delivers a solid note of burnt brown sugar. It's not roasty, nor is it chocolatey - but it's quite caramelish and toffee-like. It finishes with a lingering note of dark sugar and some peppery alcohol. Quite interesting; highly enjoyable; and with a good level of drinkability even at 6.8%! Certainly worth trying.

NeroFiddled, Apr 20, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

Body is a deep, dark reddish brown with no carbonation visible. The brownish head is initially thick and creamy, but fades rather quckly to a nice bubbly lace. Nice sweet roasted malt aroma with hints of fruit - plums perhaps? Flavor is smooth, with roasted malt, hints of chocolate, and a nice bitterness that is most prominent in the finish. Very creamy and smooth mouthfeel, and a damn good brew all around.

Viking, Nov 06, 2002
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pt.9 oz.bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $2.84. This was my first Latvian beer. Poured a super dark brown with a moderate off-white head. Had a rather "winey" smell, like cognac that recently emerged from an oak cask. Strong red-wine grapes are what most comes to my mind when sniffing this. There are also notes of caramel The taste begins with a dark, sweet maltiness reminiscent of red wine with a very oakey aftertaste. After the taste there is a slight warming sensation - a low-yield version of the sensation one gets after gulping down a swallow of cognac - and is more than I expected from an abv of 6.8% It has a rather oily mouthfeel, though not as thick as I'd expected. This is a nice beer to have after a good meal, and would probably be tasty with a rich, chocolatey dessert. Someday, I need to get myself to Riga. I once knew a woman from there when I was studying in Germany. With women like her around and beers like this available, the place should be worth visiting!

woemad, Dec 08, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours deep deep brown color with slight ruby hues to let me know its not black. A finger of ivory head falls quickly to a patchy coat over top. Nose is big fruity fig and light chocolate. Wow. I am digging on it...exactly where I want a Baltic porter to be. Flavor is more chocolate than the nose, but moves to a sweet figgy fruityness on the finish. Incredible flavor. Reminds me of the first time I had the Okocim porter. Feel is moderate with a light carbonation. I would like it to be a touch more chewy. Drinkability is good. Its not something I can sit down and drink a lot of, as the flavors are not something I can handle a lot of as a rule, though they are good. Overall, this is an awesome brew. I really enjoy the balance in flavor and aroma. I'm really glad I tried it.

kmpitz2, Oct 18, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

The beer had a lovely dark color with a sizable head that dissipated quickly. the beer ribboned nicely and had a sweet full bodied stout taste. Overall a nice porter and a good deal for the price. A definite must taste if you a fan of porters. The bottle design is also very attractive.

FDNYemt, Dec 18, 2011
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: a fine, though still clear dark brown. Head: huge, towering, lacey, creamy tan. Aroma: soft and earthy, a touch of toffee, but largely dry and absent of too many flavors.
On the palate, nothing but smooth, rich, creamy, delicious. Very little hops, and quite a nice contribution from the malt side of things, lush and full and delicious! Tasty, sweet, substantial,...a real meal in a bottle, and the dessert, too!
One excellent porter! I could drink this over and over again! Yum! Have I finally found that Latvian porter I've been dreaming of, all along?

feloniousmonk, May 04, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

I loves me some blatic porters, so this was a pleasant one to stumble into!

Pours reep ruby red going towards mahogany with a 3 fingers deep light tan head. Crazy lacing & good head retention

S: Slight licorice & choclate notes, probably this beers only weak point

T: Chocolate, alcohol & licorice up front. Rich warming rum notes followed by oakyness & vanilla beans. Finishes fruitty, warming & fruitty/dry

MF: Rich, perfectly balanced& exellent carbonation

What's not to love? All this goodness drinks easier than it's 6.8 abv has a right to! Well worth seeking out

russpowell, Jul 02, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed this due to its novelty factor - Hey, a Lithuanian beer! But it was an excellent choice, and a good buy to boot at less than two bucks for a 25-ouncer.

This Baltic Porter generates a thick two-finger head over a deep brown base. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but there's a coffee ice cream/bitter chocolate/malt combination taste going that more than makes up for it.

At 6.8 percent ABV (or 6,8 as the bottle shows in European style) this is a comfortable pour for a nice evening. With such intense flavor, it would work best as an after-dinner beer, but it could stand up to the strongest meats with dinner as well.

I'll watch for this in the future.

Hometownboy, Aug 08, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Aldaris Porteris pours a devastatingly dark burgundy colour along with a crown of light brown tone, consisting of bubbles in various sizes (like that of a type of polystyrene). It's very thick and it sure takes its time to diminish. As the "abdication" takes place the heritage of the Foamy Monarchy is that of a dense lacing. No bubbles are visible through this, rather, turbid brew.

Smell: Chocolate, closely followed by a stingy acidity, a touch of dark fruit is next in line, fading back into a more flower-like cacao. Continually, cherries arise giving the beer in question a depth and nuance in the sour parts now appearing more sweet-sour. Lastly, wrapped in a mild sawdust scent.

Taste: First off there is the sweetness of honey, then a more coarse tone of molasses 'n' cacao emerge and slides in and firmly places itself in the epicentre. The aforementioned cacao evolves its more acid 'n' acrid aspects harmoniously synchronized with the remaining sweetness of the mellifluous honey and molasses. A Flatbread-like maltiness bounces forth towards the end finishing of this tasting-experience with pleasant results.

Mouthfeel: Medium full, round and creamy but with sharp edges, the longer it remains, the coarser it seems to get towards the palate.

Drinkability: Outstanding, will do excellent as a complement to rustic Swedish husmanskost and obviously it does very well on its own.

Asgeirr, Feb 27, 2011