Porteris - Aldaris

Latvia

Baltic Porter |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBob on 09-12-2002

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Another great example of Baltic Porters. First of all, nice bottle, reniniscent of Rigas Melnais Balzams. Great color, plenty of aroma as well as of natural sweetness that doesn't insult a conscious beer-lover. Exceptional aftertaste. Good with smoked ham, serious seafood and on its own. Cheers!

3.71/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice, deep chestnut color-small, 1/4 inch tan head. Not much aroma-grainy and metallic, some slight caramel notes. Nice, sweet malty flavor. Caramel and raisens-burnt black currants. Good body-maybe just a hair on the thin side. Very drinkable and very enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a dark brown with a small, but thick head. Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet smell of caramel malt and raisins.

T: Very sweet taste with caramel, toffee, and molasses flavors.

M: Full body with light carbonation and a smooth and sticky mouthfeel.

D: This is my first baltic, so I'm not sure that I can rate this in accordance with style. As far as I can tell, this is quite different from what the style guidelines suggest it should be, but it is still a good beer nonetheless, especially for the $1.99 price tag. The jury is still out whether I will buy this one again, but it is definitely worth a try.

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%

Dark black coffee color, only a hint of transparance when held up to a light. Head is a firm half-inch that has nice retention. The smell is quite weak, slightly sweet with light hoppiness, but that's not much to say. The taste is much nicer, sweet chocolatey flavors with a bit of an alcoholic tang, not really that bitter. The mouthfeel is great, creamy and lightly thick with a great smoothness and solid carbonation. This type of porter seems alot different in flavor compared to many American versions. It's not all that smokey and much sweeter/less bitter. I found it easy to drink, especially after a long day at work. Cheers!!!

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours deep deep brown color with slight ruby hues to let me know its not black. A finger of ivory head falls quickly to a patchy coat over top. Nose is big fruity fig and light chocolate. Wow. I am digging on it...exactly where I want a Baltic porter to be. Flavor is more chocolate than the nose, but moves to a sweet figgy fruityness on the finish. Incredible flavor. Reminds me of the first time I had the Okocim porter. Feel is moderate with a light carbonation. I would like it to be a touch more chewy. Drinkability is good. Its not something I can sit down and drink a lot of, as the flavors are not something I can handle a lot of as a rule, though they are good. Overall, this is an awesome brew. I really enjoy the balance in flavor and aroma. I'm really glad I tried it.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a dark color with a tall head that has good retention and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of chocolate notes and some other dark malts. Smells pretty good. The flavor is very smooth. Lots of chocolate and hints of diacetyl, but it works here. Blends well and adds character. Very interesting. I'm not sure I'd call this a Baltic Porter, but it's a good porter, either way. Body is on the thick end of moderate and the drinkability is good.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: I heard about this beer from steveh on Realbeer, and it sounded intriguing, but I didn’t think I’d ever get to try it. Just a few months ago, however, I was killing time at a liquor store (yeah, I know how that sounds), and there it was, tucked all the way back in the farthest corner of this gargantuan 1.5 acre store! I love finding little prizes like this.

APPEARANCE: Deep mahogany, translucent, thick uneven beige head, decent lacing.

AROMA: Fruity esters, alcohol, molasses, brown sugar. Maybe a touch of hops present.

FLAVOR: Man, I could pour this on my pancakes! By far the sweetest beer I’ve ever had. (My wife even likes it!) A teeny tiny touch of hops come through on the back side of the tongue, but it’s definitely an afterthought. Huge malt backbone, some prunes, brown sugar and molasses again. Not terribly roasty, although the finish displays a trace hint of coffee and cream. If you’ve ever had Malta Goya, imagine it with alcohol and you’ve got a pretty good idea of what this tastes like.

MOUTHFEEL: A little syrupy, but to be expected. Medium weight, low carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: Unless you’re a total sweet tooth, one of these after dinner better be enough!

OVERALL COMMENTS: This could be the quintessential dessert beer – especially for people who complain that beer is too “bitter”. Certainly an interesting offering, and one that I won’t be hesitant to accept in the future.

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Good beer. Not exceptional.

Obviously at the very bottom end of the ABV spectrum for Baltics. The main flavor i got out of it was roasted malt accented by notes of chocolate. Just a hint of sweetness but not at all cloying. Very dark, but not completely opaque. Decent head, but not particularly frothy or sustaining.

Fair, drinkable example of the style, but there are others i'd turn to first.

2.55/5  rDev -30.9%

Maybe I'm not a fan of Baltic porters, as this was my first. Has many of the typical characteristics of other porters; this displays notes of earthiness, licorice, burnt malt, slightly sweet. In my opinion it doesn't add up to a very enjoyable beer. It isn't horrible, but compared to other very similar brews this would be low on my list. While drinking the first half of the glass I was trying to decide what I thought of it, but before finishing the second half I decided this is very uninspiring; the history behind this style of beer is much more interesting.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Hmm, Baltic porter, eh? Well, this one certainly fits the bill. A black/burgundy pour, small tan head, light lacing. Enticing caramel and malt aroma, taste included a touch of anise. The high ABV really stands out in this one, quite slick and syrupy. Almost tasted like it had a touch of brandy tossed in the pint bottle. This would work fairly well in the winter, along with the cherry jubilee for desert – after a porter house.

3.17/5  rDev -14.1%

Thanks to weeare138 for this bottle.

Reviewing this simultaenously with the Black Boss Porter. This looks like black water, almost no head, brown at the bottom where the light shows through. Smells fruity, but not nearly as much as the Black Boss. Tastes kind of like a rum & coke. Again, as with the Black Boss, no comfortable porter elements such as roasted or chocolate flavors. Mostly just tastes sweet in a gross way. Mouthfeel is very thick and syrupy but dead.

Apparently Baltic porters aren't my thing; I'll stick with the American and English ones from now on. However, if they're you're thing, the Black Boss is definitely more distinctive and has more character than the Porteris.

2.05/5  rDev -44.4%

This porter pours black with hints of red around the edges. The head is a frothy bone color and disappears quickly.

The smell is quite bitter for a porter, yet gives hints of a semi-sweet chocolate.

This beer is overly sweet in my opinion. It’s like a chocolate milkshake followed by a bit of an alcohol flavor mixed with hops.

The mouth feel is syrupy and thick.

It’s just too much for me, not drinkable by my standards.

If you like very chocolaty and sweet beers, this is the one for you. I was quite deceived by its aroma.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

Looks like the same color as a glass of coke. Originally mine came in a dark bottle with black label and gold letering. Nothing snazzy, looked like your typical import porter.

Poured it into a glass and it came up very heady. Not in a bad way. It quickly dissapated into a thin lace on the top of the beer. The head didn't have the greatest smell, kind of reminded me of stale PBR as terrible as that sounds. I was a little dissapointed at first because this beer was recomended to me by a friend. Moving on...

The first thing that I thought when I tasted this beer was Whoa that's sweet caramel. There is definatly a medium intensity chocolate undertone in this brew. The hops are non-existant but the oatmeal is there going strong. It feels chewey in your mouth, probably from whatever oat kind of thing they used in their mash.

I liked this beer and it went down pretty easily. I was quite pleased and at $1.90 at Bierkraft in Brooklyn, NY, it can't be beat. It also packs a nice 6.8% alcohol rate in there, so beware. I should have had dinner first, I'm only 1/2 way through this glass and already feelin' it. Bottoms up!

3.11/5  rDev -15.7%

Dark cola brown with cherry-orange highlights when sitting on my desktop, dusky dark ruby when backlit. A wonderfully large, creamy head of toasted ecru froth is currently occupying the upper half of the glass. Since it's in no hurry to depart, I'm left looking at languidly popping bubbles on a slightly rumpled surface. I'm guessing some pretty attractive lace will be forthcoming (note: wrong again).

The nose is disappointing as Baltic porters go. The biggest problem is that there isn't enough potency for the style. I pick up very little in the way of roasted malt, chocolate, etc. There is some amount of dark fruitiness, but it can't carry the aroma all by its lonesome. I hope the flavor doesn't follow suit or this porter will be Baltic in the geographic sense only.

Slightly better on the palate. It's still a letdown of sorts, in part because there isn't a huge amount of flavor. Frankly, Porteris tastes like an overly sweet, overly weak milk porter to me (as in the porter equivalent of a milk stout). Again, almost no semblance of toasted or roasted malt comes through on the palate. There's a little bit of molasses flavor, but it tastes artificial.

The beer is slightly sour and is almost cloyingly sweet. The high sugar load contributes a great deal of viscosity, although it isn't an enjoyable sort of viscosity for some unexplainable reason. It's also bubble-deficient, which adds to the less than compelling mouth presence.

Aldaris Porteris is an unqualified disappointment. I think I have a pretty fair understanding of the Baltic porter style and this beer doesn't come within light years of that template. It may be authentically Baltic geography-wise, but it's a pretender as far as I'm concerned.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pt. .9 ounce bottle. Dark brown with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate, molasses, and berries. The flavor is dominated by a syrupy sweet molasses flavor. Hardly any bitter or roasted flavors, which I think would make this beer better. Mouthfeel is nice, although the flavor makes it seem syrupy. Medium carbonation. This is a decent porter that doesn't lack flavor. This is also the first beer I've ever had from Latvia.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer pour dark like a stout. Very deep and no light shows through. It has a dark brown thick head that stays a while.

You get a malty nose with very light chocolate.

It has a deep malty flavor with a very sweet chocolate finish. A bit of a tickle from the fizz and creamy mouthfeel. This lingers.

This is a very drinkable beer. It is a beer tot drink winter or summer. It is light and not overpowering.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Not bad, but the flavor profile lacked complete integration of the elements. Dark coffee with chicory acidity, with a not unpleasant but separate sorghum molasses wafting in at the finish. Finished with some sweetness. Not quite assertive enough to really get the Baltic designation.

3.22/5  rDev -12.7%

Very nice head. About 10mm 2 minutes after pouring. Nice beige color. But the beer itself is not he right color for a Baltic porter. Held up to the light it reveals itself as a deep garnet transparent red. Not black. Not brown. You can see right through the thing for christ sake.

Wonderful nose although I don't think its right for the style. There is no chocolate malt at all. Let alone any more intense roasty notes. Very nice caramel-y munich malt notes, very intense and rich. I like it a lot. Almost smells like a belgian dubbel minus the spicy yeast notes. Some kind of off kind of plasticy notes too. Kind of fruity but I think that's the malts.

Well...get a little chocolate in the taste but not much. What I get is mainly a very sweet beer. Big caramel and munich malts. too sweet really. Need some more hops or roast to balance that sweetness out. Very low hop bitterness and flavor. Definately some fruityness, esters, banana kinda thing going on. Not right for the style I don't think. Also a kind of soapy aftertaste. Not horrible...but not right either.

Really smells and tastes like something I've had before but I can't remember what.

Mouthfeel is good if a little on teh thick side.

Pretty cloying. I couldn't drink too many of these. I was expecting something a lot different.

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz bottle.
Pours a rich brown, almost black, with ruby hues throughout.
Big fluffy tan head. Spotty lacing.
Aroma is sweet,malty, mediciny, roasty, toast, caramel and alcohol.
Flavor is ultra sweet, syrupy, chocolate milk,sweet coffee,prunes. underlying bitterness. Finish is short and sweet.
Goes down easy. I could drink several in a sitting, but worry that the sweetness might hurt my brain tomorrow.

3.86/5  rDev +4.6%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear black with a ruby highlight. The head was tan, moussy, large and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was slightly fruity with a slight winey dark caramel note. As the beer warmed, the fruitiness became a smokiness that was very interesting yet restrained. Over time chocolate and slight coffee aromas emerged.

The flavor was very nice with a chocolate and coffee presence with smooth and clean lagering. Also present was a nice yet subtle smoke component. The flavor on this beer outshined the aroma by a mile. The caramel sweetness was well balanced by the dark grains and the clean lager presence only added to the compexity of it all.

The finish was just dry with a lasting fruity/dark caramel note long into the aftertaste. The body was medium full and well done.

16.9 ounce bottle. $1.99 on price tag. Nice flavor, nice body, the aftertaste was just a bit harsh and the aroma wasn't quite there. For the price a nice Baltic Porter.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on a trip down to Washington, D.C. at the Brickskeller (a highly recommended establishment I might add). The body is deep brown, barely able to see light from the other side. The odor hints at a strong alcohol presence as well as scotch notes. The mouthfeel is tremendous, silky smooth. There is a pronounced caramel smoothness irked by spritzes of heavier scotch-like notes. It finishes with a malty sweetness that intermingles with a deep burnt malt taste in the palate. Very good porter.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours a rich, mahogany brown with a touch of red. good head and lacing.
Smell is malt, smoke, fruit, nut, hops late.
Taste is chocolate, malt, smoke, nuts, molasses and hops. A wonderful complexity and well balanced.
Mouthfeel is smooth, rich, full-bodied and warms the throat.
Drinkability: all day long!! Goes well with food or alone. A exquisite brew.

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: Deep dark brown color with a long-lasting tan head and a fair amount of a lacing

Smell: Caramel and dried fruit on the nose

Taste: Initial sweetness overwhelmed by a sour, burnt nuts taste that was quite surprising

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low-medium carbonation

Drinkability: While you would expect a bit bitterness in a Baltic Porter, the sourness of this brew is a bit over the top and makes it unbalanced

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

poured nicely into my glass with the color of a good turkish coffee. color in the glass.. hard to see thru, in fact.. i cant.. head was miniscule and didnt last to long. the smell is very sweet, would agree to scent of raisin box, now the flavor... mmm... worked its way back and then again forward on my tongue... nothing burnt tasting here, a very earthy drink, great aftertaste and superb mouthfeel.. very much not like the smell... its not sweet, light choc, coffee but very robust over all. gotta give this one a try.

2.61/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Think Okacim Porter Lite. Dark brown in color with a light tan head,

Aroma - sweet malt, raisins,

Taste - malty, sweet, grainy bitterness, something wierd on the aftertaste, kind of green alcohol

Not the best of the slavic porters, worth a try but not much else

Porteris from Aldaris