Ballistic IPA - Ale Asylum

Ballistic IPABallistic IPA

Ale Asylum visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Ballistic IPA is a fully loaded American-style IPA. The use of American Amarillo hops give it explosive citrus aromas and aggressive bitterness with a smooth finish.

(Beer added by: rockwell on 03-07-2009)

wallrock, Nov 23, 2011

If this beer was on the west coast, it would be rated up there with all the best IPAs, whether from Russian River or Ballast Point. Blasphemy, I know... Here in Wisconsin, Ballistic is kind of like when Marty McFly plays Johnny B. Goode and says, "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it."

mgo737, Nov 24, 2012

I2uss, Nov 18, 2011

TimRasmussen, May 15, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Notes Jan 15 2012

Pours a hazy amber, looks very nice in the glass.

Smells of armerreto, faint tropical fruit, and a little pine.

Taste is bitter grapefruit up front, earthy, bready malt backbone, ends on more bitter grapefruit dryness.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy for me.

A decent IPA, just not my favorite. If you like Armarillo hops then this is you IPA. But I found it to be a bit different and odd.

Re-review - Feb 2013

I have had to change my review because having re visited I have discovered that I love this beer, Fresh Citrus just burst from every sip, the smell and taste are so fresh. It finishes remarkabely clean with not an off flavor in sight!

nickapalooza86, Jan 30, 2012
4.79/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Although not as near to my heart as Ale Asylum's Hopalicious, this is still one incredible IPA. It's very bitter and citrusy, but with a balanced sweetness that Ale Asylum always seems to get right. And, oh what glorious hops! If you are an IPA lover and can find this one locally, it should be in your rotation.

ArchaeoFiero_TheDelorean, Jun 18, 2014

MrTinnedPEach, Jun 02, 2013

MarshMan71, Mar 18, 2013

Wobbly, Nov 17, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received SUPER fresh from GbvDave, thanks Dave!! Reviewed from notes.

I had never heard of this brewery until Dave mentioned he was getting some and we were working on a trade anyway, so bonus. Glad he suggested it. The cloudy amber, nice puffy head and super glue lacing were inviting me to savor it's goodness. The aroma punched me between the eyes before I got close, GRAPEFRUIT, ORANGE, HOPS oh my! The fresh hop flavor bounced around in my mouth like a super-ball. Did someone slip a slice of invisible orange in my glass when I wasn't looking? I've had quite a few IPA's, but this one has something special I can't quite put my finger on. Is it the earthy-ness, the hop schedule, or just WI water? The clean finish left no residue or hop bitterness around to just "hang-out". This is a very drinkable IPA, bright flavors and a clean finish make it a winner. I didn't really want to finish it.

brokenleadedcask, Jun 08, 2009

Curt1, Jun 03, 2014

milwaukee512, Nov 04, 2013

Daniel608, Jul 23, 2014

DividedAvery, Jan 18, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into two white wine glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to neubernie for the hook-up!

A: Pours an interesting mix of hazy ruby-red and tarnished copper. Very creamy light-tan head that's chock full of bubbles and lace leaving abilities.

S: This absolutely REEKS of Amarillo hops! I love Amarillo hops. Tons of citrus, spice, and toasted malt, as well.

T: Boatloads of citrus (grapefruit and orange) with fresh-cut pine bough, toasted malt, pineapple, and a touch of mint in the finish.

M: Very sticky and juicy. Awesome hoppy bitterness with touches of sweet caramel and dry spice.

D: Very, very impressive. This, and Tyranena's Bitter Woman IPA would so be my everyday IPA's if I lived in the WI!

GbVDave, May 03, 2009

bretsky07, Mar 05, 2012

theholdsteady, Mar 15, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a opaque copper/honey color with an off-white half finger head..

The smell is floral, pineapple, grapefruit, and of course pine. I also get the sweetness from the malts on the nose as well.

The taste follows the nose, citrus and pine... very bitter... but with the sweetness from the malts this is very well balanced. I love that this is not over the top... perfect!

I love how rich and full-bodied this is..Ale Asylum always impresses me with their well crafted beers. I have yet to be disappointed with any of their offerings. A+

Tuey13, Dec 17, 2012