Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Satisfaction Jacksin - Ale Asylum

Satisfaction JacksinSatisfaction Jacksin

Ale Asylum visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: EliteDigger on 10-02-2009

With over 3 pounds of Centennial hops per barrel, this double IPA has a slightly punishing yet entirely pleasing bitterness that dances on the tongue.

This one was served in a pint glass with a thick off-white head atop the cloudy darker amber body. The aroma is intensely hoppy--the typical American hop character -- grapefruit, pine, and a bit floral. A bit of sweetness and caramel aromas can be picked up beneath the massive amounts of hops. The flavor is highly hoppy -- much like the nose with a firm hop bitterness. The malt is in the background and takes on a bittersweet quality with all the hops. The carbonation is moderate and body medium-full. Overall a tasty brew that hides its ABV dangerously well.

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy burnt orange beer in a shaker pint. White tightly bubbled head that lingers for a long while before falling to a full lace around the full glass. Big citrus nose--grapefruit, orange, lemon. First sniff with head was very strong, but then more subtle as it settled. Slight earthiness in nose as well. Sweet malt for the front of the taste followed by a solid hop bite with more fruit, pine and resin underneaths--coats the tongue with a slightly oily bitterness that builds to the bottom of the glass. Wanted to take this one home, but not bottle sales after 9 pm, evidently.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Received as an extra in a trade with BarrytheBear.

Appearance: Pours a dark murky amber with a half finger of head.

Smell: Grapefruit, pineapple and slight mango with a strong aroma of malt.

Taste: Really malty with not as much hops as I'd think for a DIPA. Tasty malt flavor with a tinge of hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and decent carbonation

Drinkability: Glad I got to try but definitely nothing that I'd seek out again nor could I drink a lot of.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours a nice orange, bright amber, 1 finger head, bubbly, leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S - Very citrusy, lots of grapefruit, a bit of pine, sweet malt.

T - Good balance of floral and grapefruit. Fruity yet floral. A bit of a sugary taste, almost like eating some cotton candy.

M - Very smooth. Carbonation pretty low.

Overall - Pretty decent IPA, not a hop wallop, a little too sugary, but still a good beer to enjoy.

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz bottle poured into English pint.

A- Pours a deep ruby red with a slight haze to it and isn't completely transparent. Pours a half finger of head that dissipates quickly but leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S- Big amounts of hops and malt at the forefront. A little bit of tropical fruit and a bunch of pine. A good sweetness from the malt and a little grass on the end.

T- The malt is much more pronounced in the taste and the hops seem to be more balanced. There is a sweetness to the beer and goes well with the tropical fruits. Like the nose, there is a definite grassy tone but overall well balanced.

M- Medium to full bodied that lacks a big hop bite like I was hoping for. Almost a chewy beer that is a little dry on the finish.

D- Decent beer that has nice balance but nothing really sticks out with it. There was no dating on the bottle so there is a chance that the hops aren't as present because of it. I guess I will never know so this is what I have to go by.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a hazy amber color. A 1/8 inch off-white head forms and reduces to a mild lacing. No sediment and carbonation is obvious.

The aroma is solid with a nice caramel sweetness up front followed by a citrus/pine hops following behind.

The taste is a bit sweet for my liking. The lemon/pine mixture is there, but it almost seems like eating a piece of caramel with just a hint that is tasty, but not balancing.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a somewhat balancing dose of carbonation. It is a bit too sugary and syrupy, but still good. Minimal dryness at the end.

I think this is a drinkable beer and the solidity is based on a modest balance and a sweetness that makes it decent but just a bit much for me.

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a light hazy amber, half finger of off white head

Smell is pine resin, citrus orange and grapefruit, spicy hops, mango, decent malt backing

Taste is orange, resin hops, pine, caramel, bready malt, grapefruit bitterness, herbal spicy hop, a little bit of booze in the finish along with a pine finish.

Mouthfeel is medium full, drying, lingering bitterness

Well it is not my favorite Ale Asylum hop beer.... Which is not saying anything bad.... As I love everything they have in the hop land!

Give it a shot, a bit pricey but I will buy a 6 or 2 every year that if for sure!

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

The beer is poured a deep ruby with a nice off white head. It almost looks like an amber or a strong ale. The nose on the beer is filled with tons and tons of spicy hops, which I'm surprised by. I was expecting a nice foral nose similar to Two Hearted. Underneath the spiciness of the hops there is a grapefruit and a sweety bready flavour. I expect much more in a nose from a double IPA. The nose on Hopalicious is much more potent (in a good way).

When I take a sip from the beer I can taste all the goodness of the centennial hops with a nice layer of sweet caramel and breadiness. The centennial hops have a bit more of a spiciness when used at his amount (3 pounds per barrel), and I feel like hop oils are carressing my tongue with every sip. I quite enjoy the flavour actually. Behind all the hops is a slight bit of alcohol that is a tad bit surprising in an 8.25% IPA. One would think they'd be able to hide that much better. More sips on this beer reveal and more balanced IPA. I get more caramel breadiness and spicy hops rather than the spicy/citrus notes from before. While I enjoy this, the beer needs a better choice of hops flavour and aroma.

I could drink a few in the night, but I doubt I'll pick up another sixer of this. Tasty and well brewed, though.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

a - darker orange brown. small peach colored head that dies down quick.

s - smells isnt that strong. hops. some sweetness.

t - pine hops, not too much bitterness. grapefruit. some malts. its good, but I can't help but feel there is a void. that being said, it hides the 8.5% very well.

m - solid body with good carbonation. some syrupy stickiness. great mouthfeel.

o - its a good brew. I would recommend picking this up and giving it a try.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz bottle poured into my Ale Asylum pint glass. No freshness date, but as a Fall 2010 release, I assume this one is pretty fresh...

Pours a pretty haze, dark copper color. When held to the light it is a nice glowing dark amber, appears hazy and thick, just how I like my IPA's. Two fingers of dense off white head forms and sticks around forever, leaving some lacing behind...

An abundance of floral and slightly tropical hop aromas hit you first. You can tell a load of malt was used in this brew as well, very sweet with caramel and toffee. Balanced, nice...

Flavor falls a little short of expectations given the nice intensity of the aroma. Citrus hops hit first but then the thick malt takes over, sweet and sugary, caramel. Could use a bit more bittering from the hops, although bitter, the sweetness of the malt overshadows the hops, not enough bite. Still pretty good, but a little less sweet and a little more hop would greatly benefit this beer...

Medium to heavy bodied, thick, sticky, resinous. Low carbonation, but enough...

Decent DIPA, didn't do anything to wow me, but didn't have any seriously bad aspects...would try again, probably on tap, if no other options...

3.42/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz. bottle(s) served in a tulip glass

A - Coloring is dark amber. There's a minuscule amount of head, but pretty nice lacing.

S - Floral and citrus hops with some caramelized sugars.

T - Very malty up front, with beet sugars and a hint of toffee. This sweetness dominates throughout, despite a late appearance by a fair amount of citrusy hops.

M - Medium to heavy bodied for a DIPA; more than a little under-carbonated.

D - Although the ABV is low enough (for the style) to positively impact quaffability, this beer is unbalanced on the sugary side, which discourages me from having too much.

This is a solid DIPA, but it's not up to Ale Asylum's standards, in my opinion. I'll enjoy a sixer on an annual basis to see if anything has changed, but, in the meanwhile, I'll be hoping that the brewer has a different imperial IPA in the works.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Enjoyed on tap at Ale Asylum in Madison, WI. Pours a ruby red body with a thick off white head that falls to a cap. Aroma is all hops - with smells of pine needles, citrus and astringency mixed together. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with the hops dominating the flavor. The malts are somewhere in there, but barely detectable to me. An okay beer, but nothing too special.

2.34/5  rDev -36.9%

12 oz. bottle into a CBC pint. Thanks htomsirveaux! Reviewed from notes.

Pours a fairly dark shade of tangerine with beautiful clarity. A creamy, one-finger white head has great retention, thought there's unfortunately only minor lacing.

Very strong hop presence in the nose. A lot of citrus fruits here, namely papaya and mango. On the sweeter side, there's come malt for counterbalance. However, there's also a very clear band-aid aroma that's quite unpleasant.

The taste largely follows the aroma, though there's significantly more malt. Lots of citrus fruit notes up front, but that bizarre medicinal, antiseptic flavor is too strong to ignore. Some bready malt, but for the most part it's just very sweet. Astringent soapiness in the finish.

Same deal with the taste. Big citrus fruit, but that medicinal sting is brutal. Malty as all get out. Some bread. Astringent soapiness.

Mouthfeel is on the flat side, to the extent that this just seems syrupy. Not the easiest DIPA to drink.

I have to wonder how old this bottle was, but in any event this was substandard. Some decidedly off flavors at work.

3.82/5  rDev +3%

Served in a Sierra Nevada imperial pint glas

A - pours a cloudy, almost milky dark orange. An aggressive pour results in about a half finger of white head which fades quickly, leaving a bit of lacing.

S - hoppy, citrusy -orange, grapefruit,

T - hops dominate, little bit of citrus, ending with a bit of sweet carmel in the end

M - thick, chewy, not much carbonation, not much alcohol noted

O - this is a nice, drinkable DIPA, which hides the alcohol well. A good offering from Ale Asylum, I could easily put a few of these down

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Steve's Liquor (Madison, WI)

I'm a big fan of Ale Asylum. Hopalicious is an incredible beer and Ballistic was on its tail. When I heard about an IIPA from Ale Asylum my eyes lit up.

Appearance: Pours a very deep fire hued amber color. It looks rather similar to Surly Furious. A finger of head sits at the top of my glass, but it dissipates pretty quickly. A few sheets of lacing at the top of the glass.

Smell: As soon as I cracked open the bottle I took a whiff. The centennial hops poured out. I poured it into my tulip glass and started jotting down my appearance notes. I came back to the smell, and took a whiff. The hops seem to have left my glass. Well, not entirely, but it's no longer overwhelming which I would suspect from an IIPA. It's a fight between sweet malt and citrus hops, but I wish it was a little more one sided.

Taste: I must be crazy, right? An IIPA but Ale Asylum, and it's not living up to the expectations of an IIPA. The taste unveils, as the nose did, a fight between malt and hops. The malt tastes sweet and bread-like. The hops are citrus, wielding notes of grapefruit and orange peel. It leaves a bitter aftertaste, but nothing out of line. Some hop oils are coating my teeth, gums and tongue. The aftertaste is more grapefruit from those centennial hops. The slightly high ABV is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: The beer hits the tongue unleashing a crisp kick of carbonation. A medium bodied beer, presenting just a dab of chewiness.

Drinkability: A bit of a let down to be honest. I'd take a Hopalicious over this any day. Sure, I know Hopalicious is categorized as an APA, but it's far from it. It's definitely an IPA, and it has the hop character to be an IIPA, but not the malt characteristics. This is a good beer, but I wouldn't pick this up again. There are better IIPA's available around Wisconsin to make this take a back seat. And given the price of this, it wouldn't end up in my crate again, even if it became a regular offering. I still love Ale Asylum though.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

A-Pours slightly cloudy due to a small amount of sediment in the bottle. Has a slightly copper amber color. Pours with ample off-white head that fades slowly and leaves nice lacing and a thin layer of foam on the surface of the beer.
S-Strong aromas of citrus with a slightly earthy, herbal scent as well. Some malt comes through also.
T-Hops dominate. Strong flavors of citrus and herbal/earthy hops. Lots of malt as well. The citrus flavor from the hops combined with the malt results in a slightly sweet flavor.
M-Very thick and malty. Slightly sticky but not a beer that will completely weigh you down. Good carbonation.
Overall, a very good double IPA. I look forward to the release of this beer every year and it's always a little different. This years has more sweetness and a more pronounced citrus hop flavor. Considering the high alcohol and all the hops it's actually a fairly refreshing beer.

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

picked up the last time i went through madison for $10 a sixer. Didnt seem like too bad of a deal for a DIPA

a- pours a darkish ruby color with hints of straw along the edges. just a slight white head rises and falls pretty quickly.

s- tons of citrus, grapefruit maybe. quite a bit of caramel sweetness as well. average for a DIPA, but nothing too crazy

t- starts out a little sweet with the citrus again, then gets almost astringent with resin and bitterness. finishes with lots of malt and sweetness and a bit of caramel

m- carbonation seems a little light. finishes bitter and a bit dry. mouthfeel is nice and coating. not boozy at all

overall, just an average DIPA. that strange astringent flavor just throws it off for me. Not bad, but not up there in the top brews of the style.

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Fresh bottle of the new bottling line (it's a long neck) from the new brewery

Looks like a beer. Has a head. Whatever, appearance is over-rated.

Really pungent hop aroma with a caramel-y support from the malt, they combine for a semi-candied orange kinda smell with some pine-y resin thrown in.

Flavor follows aroma. More pine, citrus and caramel with some perfume-y spice.

Goes down smooth, a little too smooth, I was expecting a little more bitterness. It's more bracing than bitter. It does the trick. I like it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip. Reddish with an amber look. Big fluuffy white head. Sticks around for awhile with good lacing.

Very malty nose. Very unexpected. Sweet for an DIPA. Hops are hard to find. They show up in a "off" sort of way. Not quite citrus, but something to that extent.

Taste isn't balanced. But instead of a lean toward the hops like other DIPA's it's all sweet malt. The hops give off a metallic taste. More barleywine than anything. Not what I was looking for.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are average. I'm really disappointed in this beer. From a brewery that does hops exceptionally well I was expecting so much more. I would have settled for a doubled version of Hopalicious. This is the lone disappointment I've had for Ale Asylum. Oh well.

***A friend told me I must have had an old bottle so he gave me a fresh one to try.
Totally different beer! Nice aroma and crisp hop flavors. Pine and citrus with just enough malt to balance. Changed my scores to reflect my second experience. The color even seemed to be clearer with less of an amber color. More dark golden. Drink your IPA's fresh!

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

In honor of the Badgers Rose Bowl trip, I cracked open an Ale Asylum out of Madison, WI. Appearance was an intriguing dirty amber. You could actually see bits of yeast in the glass! Aroma & flavor was surprisingly dominated by the malts. Hops was secondary followed by crisp pine, orange, grapefruit, and an alcohol hint.

Great drinkability but a bit lacking in hops & body for a DIPA. For $3 a bottle, I'm on the fence about picking this up again.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

A nice copper pour with a medium sized white head. Really nice lacing that sticks to the glass.
Smell has citrusy hop aroma up front and then the malty sweetness after. Flavor is similar to the smell; hop flavor and then the sweetness. Maybe a little sweeter than some double IPAs I've had. I really love Ale Asylum but was somewhat disappointed with this overally sweet IIPA.

4.31/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a hazy amber color with a thick white head approx. 1.5 finger.

Smells very earthy and malty... i can smell the sweetness on the nose, different for most double IPA's... which in my opinion is a good thing I get the pineapple and citrus on the nose as well as some pine of course.

The taste is very bitter up front and then very sweet... i kinda like how this hits with a one two punch. Some may think this is unbalance... while true, it is a refreshing change to have a taste euphoria in my mouth different from the "norm".

I drank these on warm days and cold days and I found the flavors morph as it warms... very interesting. Give this a try, very delicious and interesting.... what we need more of in the beer world.

Cheers all!

2.97/5  rDev -19.9%

Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jacksin

Appearance: Local Madison favorite Ale Asylum’s IIPA pours a deep, brown tinged, rusty amber. There is a small, one finger of off-white head that disappears quite quickly; better retention would be nice, but the above-average lacing makes up for it. There is also a wealth of sediment, which makes for a very cloudy look. This is a very unique looking IIPA, though the sediment could have been toned down a bit for a cleaner, nicer look.

Aroma: The aroma is extremely fruity, with lots of citrus in the form of oranges, mangoes, and tangerines. Pine is also a component. There are definitely some sweet, caramel malts just behind the fruitiness, which is typical of an IIPA, along with a very nice creaminess, which is not. It is strange, but the aroma really evokes strawberry banana yogurt. That makes very little sense, given that none of those ingredients are in the beer (obviously), but that is what comes through when all the components come together. It’s interesting, to say the least.

Taste: It is hard to know what to make of this. There is a lot going on, but it does not really come together in any appealing way. There is hoppy bitterness in the form of rinds, minimal tangerine, apricot, and oranges, and a touch of malty sweetness that does not align with the color or aroma at all. Some sips even contain a bit of spiciness and yeastiness, due to its unfiltered nature. Whatever it is, it is confusing to the palate, and not really pleasing at all.

Mouthfeel: Here is another miss for this beer… The liquid feels watery and thin, yet oily, and the nearly non-existent carbonation does it no favors. The bitterness is minimally astringent, and there is a minor alcohol warmth at the tail end of each drink; these are the crowning features of the beer, which really does not say much for it. If possible, this is even less pleasing than the taste.

Overall: I do not think it is possible to be as disappointed in a beer as I am in this one. There is nothing really special going on here besides the unusual aroma, the taste never comes together into anything pleasing, and the mouthfeel is borderline offensive. The IIPA is one of my favorite styles, but this was just a complete miss on all fronts. It pains me to knock Ale Asylum, since it is a hometown brewery, but this beer is below average, plain and simple. 12/20

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Received in a pint, darker than anticipated, I would call it copper.
Hops evident, but quite mild for the DIPA
Taste was more malty than hoppy, resiny hops in the back, slighly chewy.
Mouthfeel is always good in my book, and this is no exception.
It felt like I was drinking an above average Old Ale than a DIPA. But I liked the old ale.

3.39/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into ST Imperial Glass
A- Very hazy and copper in color, specks of sediment on bottom even though its a fresh bottle. pours 1.5 finger off-white head, some ok spotty lacing, and retention. Not the prettiest looking DIPA.
S- A lot of maltiness, caramel mostly, the citrus is pretty nice, some orange, a low-key hoppiness.
T- Dominant caramel malt sweetness, a lot of orange. pine and citrusy flavors go along nicely, some hoppy bitterness but not nearly enough, the flavors that are there are good but doesn't have that typical DIPA bite to it
M- Smooth and full body, almost no carbonation, slightly oily, drinkable for a DIPA
O- Defintely a different kind of DIPA. Im a fan of their other hopped up beers. This is missing that big bite I look for in a DIPA. The bitterness is not even "slightly punishing" as the label suggests.

Satisfaction Jacksin from Ale Asylum