Satisfaction Jacksin - Ale Asylum

Satisfaction JacksinSatisfaction Jacksin

Ale Asylum visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Availability: Fall

With over 3 pounds of Centennial hops per barrel, this double IPA has a slightly punishing yet entirely pleasing bitterness that dances on the tongue.

(Beer added by: EliteDigger on 10-02-2009)

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to mhksuccess for sharing this at dabaloons' tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, honey, citrus zest, and floral aromas. Taste is much the same with earth and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some fairly earthy flavors.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jacksin {sic} Double IPA. Ale Asylum, Madiosn, WI.
Like every Ale Asylum bottle, no information about ABV is included, or even hinted at. It's the Wisconsin way. There is a spot for a "Best Enjoyed By" date, but it is blank. (8.5%, we eventually learned.)

Dark ruby coloration, clear, solid, lasting creamy white head on top.

Aroma: grapefruit rind, lemon and lime. Prickly pine on the side. Pretty nice, so far.

Taste: Hop bomb from the get-go. Medium-bodied. Boldly bitter hoppitude commands the palate. Bright and juicy with plenty of malt to hold it all down. Am I satisfied? Fairly, though not overly. Not as much as the dude on the label illustration, that's for sure.

Hey, what do they tell us on the label, what's the gobbledygook? "Three pounds of centennial hops per barrel give our double IPA a slightly punishing yet entirely pleasing bitterness that dances on the tongue. Satisfaction is brewed with passion and is best enjoyed that way."

It's actually fairly easy-drinking, says this hop-head. Not really punishing. Or am I just jaded?

A good-drinking double IPA, nothing earth-shaking, world-toppling, or regime-changing happening here. Sometimes things work out that way, to our satisfaction, or not.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12-24-2012 I said...

This seasonal was better in 2011. The 2012 smell seems the same but the taste and the mouth feel are both less than I remember them being last year. Maybe the new kettles in the new brew place haven't come around yet? This year's batch is really not able to hide the alcohol in the brew flavor and missed the balance that 2011 had, I think. Worse, but not a problem for Ale Asylum or the brew...the retailer jacked the price by $4 a six-pack over other competitors. $15 a six-pack isn't being nice and wouldn't bring back anyone for a second go at this stuff.

See what you think, but don't waste your money...I say there are lots of DIPAs that beat this 2012 batch for the $$.

Today 11/10/2013 I can say...

The 2013 seasonal is really back in tune with what I remember from 2011...very very good. But, the amount of scratch that fell out of my wallet when I bought it at $13/6 pack makes me have to wonder whether or not I REALLY want to buy it again until next season...and I probably won't, totally because of the $.

Also, but not a factor, AA used to use the squat bottles and now long-necks. I absolutely LOVED the way they USED to fill those squat bottles to the very MAX. It must be a $cheap thrill for me, I guess.

4.16/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a light hazy amber, half finger of off white head

Smell is pine resin, citrus orange and grapefruit, spicy hops, mango, decent malt backing

Taste is orange, resin hops, pine, caramel, bready malt, grapefruit bitterness, herbal spicy hop, a little bit of booze in the finish along with a pine finish.

Mouthfeel is medium full, drying, lingering bitterness

Well it is not my favorite Ale Asylum hop beer.... Which is not saying anything bad.... As I love everything they have in the hop land!

Give it a shot, a bit pricey but I will buy a 6 or 2 every year that if for sure!

Satisfaction Jacksin from Ale Asylum