Bedlam - Ale Asylum

BedlamBedlam

Ale Asylum visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.40% ABV

Bedlam! A chaotic blend of Citra hops and Belgian yeast give this IPA aromas of summer fruits and a bright hop presence with a plush finish.

(Beer added by: hawks10 on 04-03-2010)

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The ale was a golden copper color with a fluffy white head. Lacing was apparent as the head receded.

Smell - The citra hops are easy to detect. There is citrus and there is pine in the aroma. The earthy notes are not overly pungent, but rather sweet.

Taste - On the initial, one detects grapefruit, candy sugar, and grassy resin. The initial taste is a little to brief. It begins to move into a mild banana before moving to a more harsh resin profile. The aftertaste strikes me as a little watery.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel resembled a DIPA its thickness. The coating left behind strikes the note of Belgian thickness.

Overall - I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I would definitely enjoy this one on a hot day.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in tulip which I would recommend if only to have the merging of scent and taste. Note: Not my first Belgian, but first Belgian style IPA.

(Look) smallish white head above the golden copper ale with moderate carbonation at the outset. On swirl, top lacing remains intact while the lower portion melts away at a moderate rate.

(Scent) surprised at first by the strident profile- even questioning the purchase- but the profile grew on me rather quickly. Citrus, lemon,hoppy profile for sure, but there was also this yeasty funkiness to it as well that I couldn't place. Definitely bright and 'resiny'.

(Taste/mouthfeel) Passes with moderate bitterness at first and a slight fullness on swallow with a bit of lingering bitterness. Nice- not too wet or hued with esters. Tongue-smack post swallow. Note: The tulip really enhanced both scent and taste at pass.

(Scent -halfway done) Pepper and mango; definitely mango. I could sniff this all day.

(Afterthought) Really a nice blend, and a nice intro to this style. The ABV is well hidden in this one. For my intro it was a bit stark at first not knowing what to expect, but it settled into a nice balance between the hop and yeast profiles that became a bit sultry towards the end.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz bottle (best by 4-14-14) into tulip. 2 finger fluffy white head settled nicely with some good lacing. Beer is a dark golden with some orange hue

Aroma is dominated by citrus with some biscuit

Taste - citrus, caramel malts, noticeable fruity esters from the Belgian yeast, finish has a bitter grapefruit that's nice

Mouthfeel - good carb, medium body, fairly dry finish

Overall - I don't drink this style too often but id definitely say this is a fine example. Cant decide if you want a hoppy IPA or golden Belgian? Go for both with this! Excited to try other offerings from Ale Asylum who just hit shelves in IL

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bright rusty orange with thin but bubbling foam.

Bright tropical and citrus notes, tons of orange, mango, and pineapple with a slight earthy/herbal aroma.

Resin, tropical fruits, citrus fruits, and a slight Belgian yeast funk.

Light-medium bodied, medium-high carbonation, earthy, fresh.

Overall, I was quite surprised with this! Flew off the shelves during the first wave of it's release here in the Chicagoland area and rightfully so!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This may be my first beer review but is far from my first beer. Today I will be reviewing "Bedlam!" by Ale Asylum from my neighbor to the north. My first Belgium IPA styled beer. Poured on 2/7/14 into my Bell's tulip.

A: Looks okay. A kind of copper orange with a nearly non existant creamy white head. Some bubbles rise to the top.

S: Smells great! Sweet, with part fruity ipa and part undeniable "Belgium funk" smell. I become somewhat fearful, as tripel's are not my preferred style. But anticipation rises, as the smell is unique to anything I remember. One of the best, most complex smelling brews I can recall from recent memory.

T: Pretty tasty! As I mentioned, my taste buds are not developed enough to truly appreciate the Belgium yeasty funk of Tripel's. While I can usually identify the taste as "interesting," I rarely go looking for a 2nd in a session. This beer is a great way to transition to the style while still being grounded in something more familiar. If I had more Belgium Ipa's I could see my taste starting to develop to enjoy Tripel's more often. It is fairly drinkable. Not as sweet as the nose may suggest. It's neither too extreme and in your face nor is it subtle or characterless.

M: Creamy mouthfeel, with sort of a bite in the first half of the swallow.

Overall: I like it. Again, if you like ipa's but are on the fence about that Belgium funk, this is your beer. One of the best and most unique smelling beers in recent memory, and I can't complain about the taste. Overall this brew delivers quite a unique, and agreeable flavor profile. Would definitely throw a couple of these in my create my own sixer again.

Bedlam from Ale Asylum