Hop 15 - Port Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 1,685 | Reviews: 793
Reviews by Schmittymack:
3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Cracked this one after a night at my watering hole. Poured into a pilsner glass--wanted the brew in one glass in one pour. A semi-golden coler with a decent citrusy aroma. Taste was pretty good with a little bit of bitterness. Get some kind of aftertaste I can't quite figure out but it's good nonetheless. I'd do this one again, though there are definitely better out there.

4.65/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on draft at the Pizza Pub. Served in a heavy goblet 10 oz pour. Had a great citrus nose and light golden color. The taste was all citrus. More mandarin orange and apricot than grapefruit. Smooth finish with a lingering citrus sweetness. Very drinkable considering the high ABV. I wanted another one, but the wife gave me the "no go, your driving" look. Would definitely get it again.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Re-review. Bottled 3/6/13. Served in a tulip.

Much happier with this beer than my previous experience. Fresh hops make all the difference.

Tropical and citrus fruit in the aroma, along with some herbal notes. Sweet malt sits behind that.

Flavor is still a little sweet, but floral hop flavors dominate and add significant bitterness. Kind of a saline finish.

Great carbonation and a full mouthfeel.

---

Bomber. Bottled 6/24/10. Wish I had a fresher bottle of this, as I was a bit disappointed with it. Bottle had a lot of floaties in it.

A real sweet caramel malt bomb, which is not what I'm looking for in a DIPA. It's not a bad tasting beer, but it's not the flavor I'm expecting. Like I said, I need a fresher version of it to judge for sure.

Nose is buttery sweet caramel. Taste has a significant bitterness, but the sweetness is strong throughout, and sticks to the tongue. The alcohol emerges pretty quick too. DIPA's don't need to be 10%, I wish this one was less.

I suppose if this was an Imperial Red, it would make more sense, but the heat from the alcohol is still too strong to make it very drinkable.

I feel I'm way off from the average reviews here, so I hope to get a fresher version in the future to review, and I can update my notes.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Serving Type: 22 oz. bomber poured into a belgian style tulip glass

Appearance: Beautiful orange color with lots of tiny bubbles in the head, it's cloudy, looks great.

Smell: Big onion type aroma on the nose, not getting any of the malts, alcohol is present on the aroma's tail end.

Taste: Like the aroma, big onion bitterness up front, malts on the backend, really smooth, the alcohol is noticeable but not overwhelming. This is how I like my IPAs and IIPAs, I like that onion type flavor, not grapefruit or piney, but a different bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Not a big mouthfeel, fairly light compared to other IIPAs that I have tried that have a syrupy mouthfeel, for IIPA, this is crisp, light on the mouthfeel. A little heat from the alcohol.

Overall: This is great, reminds of some of the Stone Enjoy By and Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA but with a little more heat on it. West coast style IIPA all the way. If you love Pliny, Enjoy By you have to try this, I am impressed too bad it's seasonal. It's also easy drinking doesn't make you feel bloated. For a 10% ABV beer this is really good, cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

L : Dark copper with minimal lacing 4.25
S : I loved those strong citracy flavor that overpowers the other hops for an awesome aroma.
T : I was shocked when i saw it was 10% ABV. It is well balanced and very flavorful.
M : On the heavier side for DIPA. Still very smooth.
O : This makes my top 10 beer list of all time. I look forward to trying again sometime

I had at Isaac Newton's in Newtown, PA

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tasted On: 04-28-2014
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Single from Let's Pour mailorder

Appearance shows a hazy, honey-colored beer with a big white head. The lacing and head retention are superb.

Smells feature citrus from the hops, with grapefruit aromas dominating, along with some fruit sweetness such as with mangos and pineapple. A delight to the nose

Wow on the taste!, with a great initial favor burst of fruity hop character, followed by citrusy bitterness and then a blendng of malty caramel sweetness

Thick in body, the finish is very favorful with hoppy bitterness married with fruits and malt sweetness. Overall aftertastes are definitely hop-forward, however

Overall impression is of an epic DIPA; one of the best I've tasted

On tap at Chuck's 85th St. Not much head on the pour, and what there is subsides quickly. Honey colored in the glass. Very clear, with no apparent yeast. Light comes through it easily. Leaves a bit of lace on the sides of the glass with each sip, but not too much. The aroma is of pineapple and other tropical fruits, including dried mango and passion fruit. Strong, bitter hops profile, but not unpleasant at all. Lots of sweet fruits, especially pineapple, very rich and buttery, some biscuit flavor. Starts with the hops, carries through with fruit and finishes with the bread-like character. It has a rather light carbonation, but still carries a full feel to the palate. A long finish.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

Rustic orange with a burnished bronze glow. An attractive crown of pale tangerine colored foam snuggles into the nonic bulge on the bottom end and threatens to overflow the glass on the top end. I thought that all those hops resins would result in a ridiculous amount of crusty lace, but no more than an average amount forms in the end. No matter, this is still a very good looking beer.

Hop 15 is called Hop 15 because 15 different hops were added every 15 minutes. That may be so, but the nose is dominated by those starting with the letter 'C'. Each eager sniff brings an explosion of sunspot bright citrus peel, including pink grapefruit, orange and lemon. Fantastic! Stunning! Out of this world!

The color led me to think that caramel malt would a big part of the flavor profile. The nose led me to think otherwise. The flavor takes me back to my original impression. This is clearly a 'big IPA' type of DIPA rather than a 'barleywine' type of DIPA, but I can't help think this would be even more delicious beer if nothing darker than pale malt was used.

While we're on the topic of minor negatives, there's a wee bit too much unmasked alcohol. That's understandable when double digit ABVs are involved, but if you want your DIPA to be world-class.... Okay, now on to the many positives. The first and most important is that Hop 15, as the name suggests, is tremendously well-hopped beer.

Adding 15 different hops is an interesting idea. Thankfully, the brewers concentrated on the C-hops (I'm guessing) to keep the flavor profile from being overly muddled. Each upending of the glass delivers brown sugar-crusted, pine sap-soaked grapefruit and bitter orange peel in liquid form. The flavor may not be as explosive as the nose, but it sure does fill the mouth and coat the tongue with hop resins galore.

I'm glad to see that Hop 15 isn't too sweet and sticky. Whatever malt sugars survived intact are easily countered (more like pummeled) by alpha acids and alcohol. My tongue will survive the assault, but will need at least 12 hours rest before it can function properly again. Is this what's know as self abuse?

My first thought was that the mouthfeel is a fraction too light. With time and warming, though, its heavily silky smoothness has been revealed. Any more full and I'd probably be complaining about too much stickiness and a hindrance to drinkability. Bottom line: be ready to have your mouth pampered.

My hope was that Hop 15 would join AleSmith YuleSmith, Alpine Pure Hoppiness and Stone Ruination as the brightest stars in the Southern California DIPA firmament. It doesn't, but it's still incredible beer that every hophead owes it to himself or herself to acquire.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Served chilled in a teku glass.

Color of hazed, rusty sunshine, an orange amber color that glows. Topped by a massive off-white head that leaves chains of lacework behind as it recedes. Fairly decent head retention.

Hop 15 carries a remarkable aroma for a Double IPA, showing off bright notes of dank weed, lemon zest, orange juice, champagne, and vanilla. It is fresh smelling, exceedingly hoppy, and subtley sweet underneath it all.

Initial impression is BOOZY. Then you notice the creamy mouthfeel, and a flavor that is packed with hops. Sweet mid-palate flavor, with an herbal hop finish. It mixes citrus fruit, basil, and vanilla, and it strikes a balance despite its obvious strength and hop intensity. Very soft carbonation, robust and plentiful, but a very gentle texture. Smooth and full-bodied.
There is a light sweetness that pokes against the massive hop profile, actually finishing a touch sweet.

Really, it is not difficult to see how this beer has won so many awards. It's definitely not "sessionable" but it is certainly delicious. It's a knock-you-out kind of DIPA, that possesses a well-crafted character. Paired with a carrot cake from Devon Seafood Grill. A magical pairing, even if it is stereotypical. The bitter hops play against the sweet cream cheese frosting so well, and the sweet malt connects with the subtle sweetness of carrots.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

My last beer of my big CHRISTmas order this year I saved for a Michigan victory Tuesday night.Poured into an imperial pint glass a deep burnt orange with sticky one finger white crown.Huge fresh hops after opening the bottle,grapefruit and tropical fruit just jump in your face,crazy fresh just awesome.Not overly sweet on the palate like way to many of the style just powerful hops with mild alcohol and caramel sweetness underneath the hop onslaught.I loved this beer to me this is what a DIPA should,just great.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - This is a beautiful, glowing orange in color with a smallish head.

Smell - The aroma is an explosion of various hops. It is very stiff, full of pine resin but balanced enough not to be a one smell wonder. There's a really nice orange character to the smell, and the fruits are bitter but pronounce. If you enjoy the smell of hops and just can't get enough, this is as good as it gets.

Taste - The hops rule the roost here as well. There's a nice tangerine flavor that continually battles the monster pine. It is just enough not to leave you with that singular hop flavor. You know the one, when you really like the taste but it seems too one-dimensional to be considered brilliant.

There's a massive malt character to this beer, but the hops are so big you can barely taste it. This is definitely West Coast and not for the faint of heart.

Mouthfeel - This is a big medium-bodied with plenty of hop bitterness to keep the drinker sipping. I can't find any evidence of the 10+ ABV. This beer is a bit too lightly carbonated, it's only real fault.

Drinkability - This is a slow-drinking hop-bomb that is sure to satisfy even the hardest of the hard core hop-heads. I thoroughly enjoyed this magnificent effort by Port Brewing and look forward to watching my wife drink the rest of the bottles.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Another bottle supplied by zoso1967... thanks, man. Imbibed with BuckyFresh on 10-16-10.

A: The color is a cloudy, murky golden orange. A yellowish-white half finger head recedes to a bubbly film that retains well. I can't see the carbonation bubbles through the cloudiness of the beer. The lacing is fine and sticky.

S: A variety of hop aromas waft out of the glass. There are your tropical fruit hop smells, strong grassy hop notes, subdued citrus scents, and bitter earthy notes. A caramel malt presence is also available to my nose as a balance to the hops.

T: Wow, I was not expecting quite that blast of hops on my palate. I mean, the smell was hoppy, but that is an all-out hop assault on my mouth. At first sip, heavy caramel malts blend with a very grassy hoppiness that results in a tropical fruit flavor. My tongue senses a good alcoholic heat, followed by a lingering hop bitterness, which captures the essence of eating a hop, but without the palate destroying properties.

M: For how big the flavor is, the MF is a bit thin and unsubstantial. I like the puckering hop bitterness, though.

D: For an Imperial IPA with so many hoppies, this is nicely drinkable. I would seek this out again and the next time I try it I would want it to be extremely fresh. I'm pretty sure this bottle is a little old (at least 4+ months) and the hops still blew my face off.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bomber. Love the label with the planes dropping hops as bombs! Pours into my glass a deep red orange color that's on the darker side with a nice half inch of creamy eggshell head on top that fades rather quickly. Aromas of deep sweet caramel candy malt run underneath a wall of bountiful hops. Mega grapefruit citrus aromas, like you just picked one off the tree and cut it open! Pine scents are in full force too. Can grapefruits grown on pine trees?? The dense aroma has some herbal spiciness to it as well...simply lovely. The aroma I dream about when I think of a great DIPA. This is up there with the best of the best.

First sip brings an instant smack of hops. A great amalgamation of grapefruit, citrus, tropical and piney flavors rush across the palate and bring a smile to my face. Lots of complex hop oils. It seriously takes like a fresh green hop cone. Yum! Flows down with some herbal spiciness alongside a nice caramel malt that has some candy, sugary aspects to it as well. There's just enough malt backbone here. One of the best double IPA's out there without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is dense with a nice chewiness to it as well. Just enough carbonation makes this brew almost too easy to consume. Damn good stuff. I could see myself drinking too much of this and getting in trouble real easily! I wish they would give up the secret as to what 15 hops are used in here...but ultimately they all work together to create a wonderful beer. Glad to see this bottled again, now I must get more. Thanks to KingG for the trade.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

I have yet to be disappointed by a Port Brewing Company beer.
With all the emoting about hop forward beers on BA I am increasingly amazed that Port doesn't receive its share of praise.
Its well presented citrus taste is very pleasing to the palate. It satisfies the need for a good hop forward beer without overpowering the senses.
Very drinkable. Gone before I realized I finished the whole bottle.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a small white head that quickly diminishes. A very vigorous pour produced a medium creamy white head that retained for a while.

The aroma is sweet melon and caramel with piney peppery grapefruit hops.

The flavor is sweet caramel malts and some melons quickly followed by a big bitter finish with resiney peppery fruity and kind of salty/tarry hops that linger in the aftertaste. The alcohol is well hidden other than the warming. The mouthfeel is medium to full with low carbonation.

Overall, a very solid DIPA. The flavor, especially the salty/tarry notes, kept it from being a top tier.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Delicious! Thanks IntriqKen. Beer Powerball is the greatest and without it I would not be trying this beer.

Looks, smells and tastes wonderful. There is a clear grapefruit hoppness that is not matched with an equally bitter flavor as one might expect. This is delicious. I could easily drink a couple and not realize it.

I wish this was available around here.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a murky orange/golden with very impressive carbonation and a nice big head. This is one of the best smelling beers of all time, simply exquisite. Smells like wonderful citrus hops that beg you to take a drink. Taste is a very nice blend of citrus and earthy hops with sweet malts. Not too bitter at all. Medium body is veyr nice. Very drinkable for a DIPA. I don't like DIPAs as much as IPAs, but this one is pretty exceptional.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml green magnum with a bottle # but no freshness date. This bottle was corked and capped.

Appearance: Light on the carbonation, this provides only a thin lace on top of the tawny hued brew.

Smell: Raw hop aroma, lots of hop leaf and pungent oil. Piney and citrus with a creamy alcohol smell in the back.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Creamy full body, almost syrupy and very little carbonation. Hop flavours and bitterness dominate the palate. Alcohol swoons in and out to warm the mouth and body and is quite noticeable in the finish. Faint tropical fruit, piney flavours, citric rind. Touch of caramel from the malt. Finishes with a big bittersweet taste, more bitter for sure.

Notes: A nice nightcap or a major hop fix, it numbs the taste buds beyond recognition with bitterness and flavour.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

22 ounce bomber, no freshness info to be gleaned. Pours quite cloudy apricot- moderate amber, Nice long lasting tan head, leaving ringed frothy sticky lacing. Big and bold hop nose, this stuff is FRESH...god bless modern methods of transportation! San Diego style over the top hop bomb DIPA all the way. Large and lovely. Citric, resiny hops from start to luscious finish. Go get some and enjoy. $8.99 at Spirit House in Amherst Ma.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The Beers of California

#77

Bottled Date: 3/16/13

A: A beautiful, deep golden haze topped off with a bone white head of small bubbles which retreats to the glass.

S: Big and fresh with equal parts tropical, citrus, and earthy sweetness. There is also a faint alcohol tinge in the nose.

T: There is a a great breadth of hops flavors; hints of mango and tropical fruit open to a bouquet of orange rind, pine needles, spring flowers, and freshly mowed grass. The overshadowed maltiness is brown sugar and bread. The finish is spicy bitter with solid alcohol warmth which dies a puckering ending.

M: Medium feel with that classic hop oil linger with supernatural palate coating abilities.
The moderate carbonation supports the palate.

O: I was stoked to see this brew on shelves, which escalated after seeing the recent bottled on date. Strong hop flavors nearly strangle the palate to unrecoverable as 15 hop varieties have there way with your taste buds. A wonderful Imperial IPA most enjoyed by the hop heads out there.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottle courtesy of Exiled.

Pours a cloudy brown with some light brown and dark brown stratification. Lots of yeast floating around. Not very attractive. The aroma has some oak, caramel malt and some sweetness. Not near as much hop character as I expected. The flavor is more of the same, with lots of toffee as well as some citrus hops and bitterness. Quite a strong malt backbone. Not as hoppy as expected. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Cheers to beerbeing for this beer off my Wants. Dark amber in color. Thin lacing remains on my pint glass. The nose is huge hops, mostly pine. A complex hop flavor mixing citrus & pine. Carbonation is very nice & the mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkable despite the ABV. This is a huge hop bomb & a must for hopheads like myself.

Cheers.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Yes. This is what an IIPA should taste like. Pours orange-gold with a rocky white head. "Freshly squeezed citrus" is the perfect description for the aroma. Lemons, oranges, grapefruit mixed with pine and grass. Crisp, clean hops right up front. Tastes as if they were picked and put right in the bottle. Grapfruit, apricot, white pepper, lemon zest all blend well with a very light malt backbone. Thick without being syrupy and very refreshing on a hot day. This was a tremendous beer.

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Got this from Bev Mo in San Diego the wife brought it back for me on a recent trip.
Served this into a large delirium snifter.
Poured with a thin white head very tiny strings very tighly knit rushing up the sides of the glass. A sudsy ring lay atop the cloudy reddish/orange colored ale,many tiny particles of yeast suspended throughout.
Has a carmelly butterscotch aroma with light piney citrus.
Has a heavy carmell taste upfront with burnt and metallic notes. Has a suprizing light feel with a good balance with some pine and an intense grapefruit finish.The alcohol wiht almost undetectable. If you like grapefruitty beers you will love this one,got a feeling this beer was on the old side. No freshness dates anywhere on the bottle.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a nice slightly hazy amber color with a nice really creamy thick slightly orange head thats got some nice fine lacing, this head is sticking around too. Nose is caramel, tropical fruit, sweet floral notes and honey.

Taste is quite different, it's light and spicy, almost like cinnamon on the finish, it's light on the front of the palate which is odd. Bitterness is there but it doesn't seem too overwhelming even though the malt profile is not too noticeable which makes it super well balanced and quite drinkable. The only sticking point I've got, and it was my same issue with Hop Suey is that the alcohol is a bit too present for me. Otherwise it's a really solid beer, I'm going to keep checking out Port beers.

to view more.