Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hop 15 - Port Brewing

Hop 15Hop 15

Port Brewing visit their website

Beer added by: comat0se on 02-09-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop 15 Alström Bros
Reviews: 786 | Hads: 1,713

Just had this back to back with Heady, and this was just as good and in some situations better. A perfect beer. Citrus and pine to the max, with the most incredible lacing I have ever seen. I have had this on draft and bottled and I have to say, this is worth the pick-up., doubly so if you are a hophead. (305 characters)

Bought at city beer in the city.

A - Pours orange with a 2 fingered, white head. Leaves a nice lacing.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, flowers, and toffee.

T - Holy shit this is good! Citrus, grapefruit, and toffee.

M - So good. Very well balanced, yet bitter enough to remind you it's an IPA.

D - More please!! This is the first perfect beer I have rated. Just awesome!! (368 characters)

A - Dirty yellow tan, unfiltered (small speckles), good head & lace. Looks Like your IPA status but more.

S - Smell is GREAT! Alcohol, whiskey, hops, and slight malts or grapefruit.

T - Taste is overwhelmingly GREAT! True double/imperial IPA. Alcohol, hops, grapefruit, strong bitter aftertaste.

M - carbonation is there but suits the distinct flavors, goes down smooth, slightly "hot" at first but then settles down into a drinker.

D - Drinks GREAT. No problem here as I enjoy all the flavors and bite of a real IPA. Might be tough for some, very bitter and alcohol'ish. Might be a little over the top with hops and flavor buts its one of the top tasting/powerful IPA's in my hop head world, this is one of my favorites in the double/imperial IPA class. If you want a easy drinker don't get this one, if you have an acquired taste for great IPA... then grab it at any cost! Thumbs way up... Very recommended. (914 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours out a really cloudy ice tea with two fingers of suds. A little offwhite but still clinging to the side of the tulip glass.
Smell is piney hops and I mean grapefruity piney.
Wonderful smell here. Some malt and sugar with a very pungent yeast that burns the nose.
Taste is a very hoppy sweet flavor with pine aftertones.
This beats my Pliny The Elder, but not by much.
Darn, great Imperial IPA here. Mouthfeel is perfect. Not too much sweet here, just the right amount.
Drinkability is only perfect too. I want so much more of this stuff. (542 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Wonderful hoppy beer with a smooth citrus finish and a malt undertone that makes this an easy beer to drink. Will be on my list of favorites. The pine fresh hoppiness is balanced very well with the alcohol content. Hard to guess that this is a 10% alcohol beer. (261 characters)

Tried at 1st Annual Boulder Strong Ale Festival

Aroma: 15 varieties of hops, 'nuff said! It smells malty. Just kidding, this is a massive hops fest going on. It's dominated by a citrusy, grapefruit hops, but also has herbal, and floral notes to back it up. This is a very nice aroma, I wanted to just smell this beer all night.

Appearance: It was poured with a massive off-white, foamy head. Nice hazy, apricot color, and it produced some nice lacing on the glass.

Taste: Surprisingly, there is a lot of complexity going on with this beer... it isn't simply hop overkill. Surely, hops are dominant in the flavor but there is a nice rich, malty, spicy, sweetness to begin with, some sweet grapefruit and oranges, some alcohol spiciness to enliven the brew, followed by a very smooth but strong approach to a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth, and pleasing, with a medium prickly carbonation.

Overall: Very drinkable, and I definitely wanted some more. Impressive beer.

O.G. 1.092 (1,003 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

This recent batch on draught is simply the best beer I've had. Perfect carbonation.

The color spectrum ranges from beautiful opaque yellow in a pilsner style glass to bright orange in my tulip, and the end of the growler pours an interesting apricot. Port brews the prettiest beers in the world; this is loaded with hop resins. Gorgeous white head, tons of lace. The color is so thick and concentrated, liquid gold.

The aroma is thick and pungent, fresh citrus hops so bitter it almost makes your eyes water. Taste follows, hugely bitter fresh hops, grapefruit, orange, mango, peach, lemon, pineapple, apricot, papaya, lots of pine. Beautifully malted, which allows the hops and bitterness to shine.

Mouthfeel is thick with just a little alcohol burn that enhances the experience. Drinkable, and the true palate wrecker.

Hoppiest and best beer I've ever had. Maybe the most bitter. This beer is perfect. (910 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

Fresh bottle @ the home shared with those who love beer. Pours medium to dark golden color. Not much head on mine, so i feared the worst, but nothing came of it as one of my fellow drinkers had a nice one. Absolute hop bomb! The aromas of citrus nad pine were not as fresh or sharp as my encounter with Hopslam, but they almost seemed a bit richer and rounded. Mouthfeel was fantastic big hops up front lots of lemon zest, grapfruit, and pine dominating the palate with a medium to full bodied feel. Goes down like I could drink 10% all day. Ranks up there with Captain Lawrence reserve IIPA but just short of fresh pliny. Great bottle! (636 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

This brew pours with a medium-amber, hazy color, and light head. It looks good, but it's not like it's the best I've ever seen in a DIPA. The aroma is ohh-sooo good. I can't put my finger on a specific hop variety, but wow does it smell of delicious, fragrant hops. Upon sipping this beer, what I was getting in the aroma now infuses my tongue. It's a massive hop flavor attack, but I still can't single out any particular hop variety. (With 15 different hops, I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.) I get a fairly aggressive maltiness combined with a light caramel character. This may not be as crisp as some DIPAs, but I don't mind at all. Who knows, maybe Hop 15 leans more toward an amber-ish, hoppy barleywine as opposed to a DIPA? However you want to classify this beer, it's excellent. It's easily one of my favorite beers/DIPAs on the planet. (850 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Appearance - This was poured into an oversize wine glass. It was a glorious reddish orange color with a foamy white head. It left wonderful lacing around the edges as the head settled. This is a beautiful example of color and hue of an imperial IPA!

Smell - Very piny of course. However the scents ran way deeper. There were some wonderful citrus hops, maybe a little melon and grapfruit. Also the slight tinge of maltiness gave great balance.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Wow! This is probably the finest Imperial IPA I've had my hands on. The balance of hop styles, and caramel maltiness is superb. I was expecting hop overload on this one. Boy was I shocked. This was the most perfectly balanced IPA I have had. I envy those that can have this at their disposal.

Drinkability - This is one of the first left coast IPA's I have had and damn am I impressed. This was fantastic! I am a huge hop head and this one was a hall of famer! I will be ordering this from SBD&L with my next purchase. Damn this is dome good beer! (1,014 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

This beer was pured in a 8 ounce snifter. This beer was poured a slightly hazy amber color with an almost entirely white head. Head was about 1/2 inch thick and lasted the entire beer with a superior amount of lacing. The smell was a very strong floral hop smell, that you could smell with out bringing the glass up to your nose. Very aromatic, but all you smell is hops.

The taste was a great, super bitter hop ale. A very strong hop flavor, with a very nice bitter aftertaste. This beer has a sharp bite to it, that lets you really taste and feel the hops. The mouthfeel was good with the CO2 being perfect and the beer having a good thickness to it.

A wonderful Double IPA from Port brewing. A beer I would recommend to any one who like double IPAs, this beer is for a true beer lover. (794 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

The color is a roasted amber with dark cherry skin highlights, topped with a modest head of fine sand colored bubbles that left plenty of lacing. Slightly hazed, with no carbonation streams present. The smell is citrusy and sweet with some piney notes. The taste is a veritable hops explosion that belies what is now a subdued aroma. There is a big citrus bite that sinks its teeth in and holds on. At the same time though the solid malt foundation appears and tries to rescue my mouth from those awesome hops, but to no avail. The hops are simply dominating in a good way. The mouthfeel is creamy, a bit slick, and there is a medium amount of carbonation. This beer is spectacularly drinkable. 15 different hop varieties are in there and they all meld beautifully together. I loved every drop. (794 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +17.7%

OK. At the request of ReDave, I moved my review of this beer to this location. Wouldn't want it to be lost. :-)

Maybe it's a style thing, but at least for me, this is DIPA perfection (hence the scores). Had this on tap at the Brickskeller last night during a Tomme Arthur presentation event.

I have had this beer previously, but it's been some time. It was every bit as good as I recalled, though I was bit dubious when I first saw it in my glass.

The beer pours a light orange color with very little head retention and almost no lacing. This beer doesn't look very impressive at all... and then I took one whiff. I believe the back of my head is somewhere back behind the back bar. The blast of pine resin and citrus from the hops is simply unbelievable. In particular the pine aroma is straight from hop heaven. The beer smells as if someone soaked a small pine tree for a month in this beer. I give the smell of this beer a 5, only because that's as high a score as I can give it. Simply unbelievable. The flavors on the palate, not surprisingly, replicate the nose, though the pine is not nearly so noticeable. The beer is surprisingly light on the palate and is not the least bit heavy or tiring to drink (despite the considerable abv.). The flavors are huge in this beer, with nice citrusy orange and melon flavors. This is clearly a DIPA on steroids.

This is an in your face, no holds bar, over the top hoppy DIPA. For hop heads like myself, this is literally the holy grail of DIPA. The only DIPA I have ever tasted that is even remotely in the same class is the Pliny the Younger. This is a fabulous beer that I would probably drink pint after pint of (to my ruination with the abv.), despite the intensity of flavors and high abv. Incredible stuff. Just fabulous.

In it's way, this beer is on a par with the Westy 12 and Dark Lord. That's how truly fabulous this DIPA is IMO.

[ serving type: on-tap (1,927 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.3%

Hand Bottled #347

Beer seems to glow a copper-orange hue. Luminiscent indeed. Not a lot of head, but this does go 10+ in the a/v department. A nice looking beige rimming offers some lace as I drink. Nose is wonderful. PIney, citiric, pungent cannabis, rind, carmelized sugars...damn this is nice. The bottle says this beer is off the IBU scale and I can almost believe this. On one hand, this beer has a great bitterness. Raw. But on the other hand, I think a beer that is "off the IBU scale" might be coarse and less drinkable. Not the case here folks. This is one beer that I find easy to drink. Some alcohol soaked cherries comes to mind. The sting of the alcohol is incorported into the overall taste profile of this beer quite nicely. The hops are big and profound, but would obviously be less enjoyable if not for the stable malt base. There is a sweet carmelized malt presence that does quite well in this mix. Hop flavors in a word are celestial. And also raw, intense but focused, pungent, resiny, floral, spicy, bitter, rind-like and pulp like....as in grapefruit. The mouthfeel is lowly carbonated and thus quite creamy. Body is better than medium but short of full. This one is an experience.

Now, let me ponder what 15 hop varieties may have been used...Columbus, Warrior, Tomahak, Centennial, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, Crystal, Saaz, Anahtumum(wrong spelling, I know), Zeus, Target, Nugget and Cluster. Then again...

A Bighuge thanks goes out to LongBeachBum for sending me this gem from my favorite brewpub. (1,543 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This brew poured a dark copper with ruby shine and a sticky, piney hop head. Its body is evident right away- the pour is thick and smooth. Aromas of oily hops, clean and fresh cut through a underlying tone of caramel malts. There is a hint of alcohol but the hops overwhelm. Smooth as silk on the tongue, the minimal carbonation combines with the higher ABV to leave a trail of burning sweetness down the throat. Delicious citrusy hops combine with the strong malt character and compliment eachother perfectly. There is no tongue numbing hop overload- these are delicate and aromatic- huge fresh flavors. There is a sweet malty finish- sticky sweet but with the ever present hop profile to keep it all in balance. An exceptional beer. (734 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.8%

Its my birthday and I had this one at O'Briens here in San Diego...

My glass contains a really nice golden to red color, offwhite head about an inch thick. Looks quite nice to me. The aromatics are huge, sweet and chock-full-o-hops, tinge of alcohol in there as well. Taste is bittering at first and then transforms into a sweetness that the entire time is laced with a hop explosion. Mouthfeel is creamy, syrupy and smooth, full bodied and awesome. Its so good I'd love to treat it like a session beer... but the alcohol creeps up on you quickly, so it just falls short of perfection in the drinkability category for me. (625 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a cloudy burned amber with a finger of white head that dies down slowly and laces beautifully. Smells of gigantic hops, citrus, rind that all blasts your smelling senses away. DIPA....yesssir! Throws flavors at you from everywhere. Citrus, malt, sweets and HUGE pine HOPS! Feels medium in the mouth and finishes deliciously dry and bitter from the hops. 10% abv?? You have to be kidding. This brew drinks like a single IPA at most and is a must try for any hoploving BA, multiple times! (492 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

A super thank you to nvsblman for sending this beer my way for secret santa 07. The beer was served in an imperial nonic.

Appearance: The beer has a pleasing orange coloration. White sediment hangs in suspension. Active carbonation pushes to the surface of the beers head. The head of the beer is a finger and a half. The head has a pillowy appearance with a biege colortation. The head has perfect retention.Thick lacing remains behind on my glass. In short this beer has a dam perfect appearance.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is dominated by orange/ citrus and pine oil smells. Sweet caramel brings up the rear of the smell. If you like hoppy California brews this one is for you.

Taste: The lead in flavors of the beer consist of big time grapefruit and tart orange. This combines well with the oily pine toned flavors. The malty backbone provides a flash of sweetness to the beer. The alcohol is present in the flavor but mostly adds a bit of spice. As the beer warms up the flavors meld in a most excellent fashion on my palate.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer strikes my palate full on in a good way. I really enjoyed the smooth medium body of the beer. The alcohol wasnt a factor in the mouthfeel very smooth. The flavors are long lasting and well melded together. I was distressed at how quick the beer left my glass. Sure the beer is a giant hopped alcohol fueled beer. I am already rueing the beers abscence from my glass. If you have Hop 15 and want to trade I am definately your man. (1,503 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a medium orange color. Thick with the most suspended sediment I have ever seen in a beer. White yeast particals sitting at the bottom. A thick foamy white head. Sticky glass covering lacing.

As soon as I opened this bomb, the oily, piney hop smell permeated my kitchen. What more could you want from fresh hops in the smell catagory?

This beats the "other" brewery's rendetion of a hop bomb in taste...aka... ruination IPA...
This is the ultamate hop fix! Must be those floaties all over that give the extra FLAVA.
This beer is all over the place, oily, piney hops, alcoholic, pineapples, apricots, intense tastebud ruining hop bitterness, sweet moderatly thick hops and at the same time dryness, pepper, ..ALL with a great balance of bitterness, sweetness and alcohol.

Memorable! (792 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours honey/caramel with 3 fingers of sand colored head. Great lacing on the north side of glass & good head retention, murks a bit at the bottom of the bottle

S:Loads of pine & citrus with much grapefruit, plus breadyness

T: Loads of pine & grapefuit, but nice malt breadyness, plus a touch whole grain cracker up front. More hops in the middle, plus a dash caramel. Finishes with loads of citrussy hops, pine & a touch of booze

MF: Chewy with low carbonation & perfect balance

Drink very easy for the style & ABV, but the hops will just waste your pallet, not a bad thing...

Another winner from Port! Worthy of it's rating, hopefully this becomes a offered beer here soon (678 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

22oz bottle received via I Want That BIF 2 from lou91. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, forming a 1/2" beige head over the cloudy orangey amber brew. Head lasts well, with ample slow-falling lace. Aroma is small sweetness and intense citrus hop character. Taste also starts with the ample malt depth, flows into substantial bitterness (but not too much, just right), whereupon the citrus flavors all come shouting out. Flavors linger after swallow, and warmth abounds. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent for the style. Wow, hope this one gets some wide distro, it will be appreciated. (625 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

Another Package delivered to the Bums locale during our recent 4/5/03 Pub Crawl by fellow BA Xlperro. This offering is quite something, I knew it was very special as soon as I took it out of the bag that xlperro had brought it in.

A 750ml Green Bottle with a white, green & yellow label that has a picture of what appears to be a Squadron of Bomber Aircraft dropping “Hop-Bombs” into a large Pint Glass full of Beer. Crown Cap and Corked.

Labeled as Hand Bottled #63 on the reverse it also has the following blurb:
“Lets Party! Hop 15 is off the IBU Scale! We added 15 different hops in 15 minute intervals during the brew to create a serious hop bomb. This is one of the ales we originally made to celebrate our 15 year anniversary in Solana Beach and is in such high demand we brewed more to keep the party going. Celebrate and enjoy…….cheers 10.5% ABV”

Holy Shit this IS one serious Hop Bomb!

When poured slowly a mass of dissolved carbon dioxide positively wells up in the body of the beer, a cascade of small bubbles races up and down as well as side to side. It slowly settles down to reveal that the body of the beer is a slightly turbid, but iridescent looking bright orange-copper color. A Small tight cream colored head clings to the surface, and leaves some, but not much lace.

The nose is quite restrained at first though – a major surprise. But guess what it smells of as it slowly reveals an aroma more complex and twisted than a spurned lover.

Alcohol is stood tall and proud at the front door, and warmly welcomes you into the House of Hop-15. The entrance hall contains citric hoppiness mixed with grassy tinges. The taste of vines weaves it way through the backbone of the beer but is linked via a humulus-lupulus nervous system to areas of spices, peppers, orange-brandy, lemon grass, pine tar resins, etc.

A veritable Museum of Hops. They’re all here on display, but can you concentrate hard enough to find them all??? Better get a Day Pass.
Who cares, it is such great fun trying.

The finish starts with a light oily hop-bitterness, but the ending of the beer has a lemony astringent finish, that builds exponentially with time, which is quite intense at the death and leaves an aniseed like numbness in the inner mouth cheeks.

Overall: A Powerful West Coast IP…., no that’s not enough, a Delicious Double IP.., nah, A Tremendous Triple I.., no, no, No….

…….this is definitely a “Pentadecagon-IPA” !!!

A Gargantuan “Cheers Mate” to Xlperro, for this Explosive Hop-Bomb of a Beer. (2,554 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip, pours a hazy dark orange with a nice frothy head that lasts and leaves great lacing. Aroma is loads of citrus hops with plenty of sweet malts right behind. The taste is a wonderful plethora of hops just barely overpowering the malts, dominating, yes, but not quite with an iron fist. Crisp inviting citrus hops in the initial with dry pine in the finish that leaves you craving another sip! The beer is only medium bodied with very well hidden alcohol, it is also crisp with nice carbonation and a slight bit of dryness. This is certainly and exceptional Double IPA, one worthy of BAs top 10. This is the first of 4 beers I was able to acquire from this highly acclaimed brewery, and it certainly has me eager to try the other 3! (761 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

Received a 22oz bomber from my Long Beach boys at Vin de Pays. Thanks. This is a beautiful beer. Now that I have started brewing my own beer, I am quickly becoming a hophead and LOVE HOPS. Hop 15 pours a beautiful, syrupy amber into a snifter. Only a little white ring stays and hangs on for the ride. The smell is unbelievable: caramel, pineapple, risiny pine. Awesome. The taste matches the small, but is extremely well balanced for a DIPA. There's still a little hop bitterness that stays on the tongue, but it's not crazy like some other ones out there. Mouthfeel is heavy, but some of the carbonation gets reinvigorated in your mouth. For this style, this is highly drinkable. I would gladly drink the whole bottle, but I'm trying to moderate this 2008. (758 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

Big thanks to Yamar18 for the hook-up!

Appearance: Pours a dark, hazy amber with a rising, eggshell-colored head. Head is quite creamy and sticky. Doesn't take too long for it to dissipate to a thin, creamy ring. Surprisingly, not a whole lot of lace. Got much more from the first bottle.

Smell: Caramel, orange, grapefruit, toasted bready malts, alcohol, and tons and tons of piney, oily hops!

Taste: Caramel, warm bread, citrus, oak, and a bucketful of oily hops! The flavors meld together perfectly and the strength is right where it needs to be. This is a phenomenal beer!

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick in body - totally coats the mouth. Beer has a medium carbonation and seems to inflate inside the mouth - really an incredible effect! Hop resin is definitely felt. Great warming too!

Drinkability: Bring it on baby! Rich and hoppy - not overly complex. Tremendous feel and ridiculously smooth. Would drink these until I passed out.

NOTE: The first bottle was split between Jorge and I. We poured it rather viciously and entirely, resulting in a ton of yeast in each glass. The yeast tastes very nutty and ruined (maybe that's a little harsh) our experience. (1,168 characters)

Hop 15 from Port Brewing