Hop 15 - Port Brewing

Hop 15Hop 15

Port Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: PMR on 06-25-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop 15 Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -65.9%

I got a flat batch of this beer. And the fact that you can find so many similar stories on this site -- dating back at least three years -- demonstrates that they really have a quality control issue over at Port. My beer was so flat that it wouldn't make even one bubble while at full tilt heading straight into my kitchen sink on its way to the sewer, where it belongs.

I had given one bottle to a friend and he described it best when he said, "this tastes like really hoppy syrup!" It's really too bad, because I think Port probably has a good recipe, they just can't seem to get it together. Save yourself some money and don't buy this unless you're absolutely sure you are getting a good bottle.

dirk27502, Jun 24, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -58.2%

A - Oily and viscous pour that looks flat and dead. Hardly any carbonation or head.

S - Malty, slight hops, slight citrus... Should there be a stronger hop aroma?

T - Sweet, caramel upfront without much of a hop profile. Was expecting way more hops from a beer that has 'Hop' in its' name. Thought that this beer would eventually round out... but it doesn't. It's just real sweet and boozy without any hop.

M - Flat, slimy, thick, and oily. Yucko.

D - Maybe this was an off bottle? This was a very bad boozy DIPA. Flat, boozy, really sweet, no strong hop profile. I imagine this is what sweetened deer pee would taste like... First disappointing beer from Port Brewing.

LilMatrix, Jan 21, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -57.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle (bottled on date: 3/26/12) into a 15.5oz Spiegelau 15.5oz balloon glass

A- Almost no exhaust when uncapping...pours a classic Imperial IPA dark orange with almost not head. Even at 10% ABV, I would have expected a better initial pour.

S- Not much aroma...a bit of sweet & bitter citrus and floral notes but not resonant in any particular category.

T- Sweet malt up front followed with a wallop of piney and citrus hop bitterness. Surprisingly, bitterness does not linger long and the palate is left unharmed.

M- Flat and bland...nothing worthy of mention.

O- Although Mongo was a huge success (with me), Hop-15 has been wholly disappointing...so much so that I would say this was a bit of a chore to consume. I hope (for my sake) that the Anniversary Ale (that is on deck in my fridge) will be a much better experience...but this one was a dud...perhaps it is better on tap at the brewpub.

threeviews, May 27, 2012
1.83/5  rDev -56.3%

Not good stuff. Too raw, too sharp on the alcohol. Neigh undrinkable.. and I love hops.

Pour was fine. Looked a ruddy bronze in color. Smell was interesting, but fine. Strong and hoppy. Not great but not bad. Piney and somewhat tropical

Taste was just so, so off. It was just harsh. Little hop FLAVOR, only bitterness and alcohol. It was like the terrible DIPA Flying Dog does.

I couldn't finish the bomber

GoApps, Mar 19, 2010
1.88/5  rDev -55.1%

Appearance: Hazy orange color with sediment. Aggressive pour gave the beer almost no head.

Aroma: Light citrusy hops with some caramel malt notes.

Taste: Strong alcohol kick in the flavor which is not covered up very well. Weak citrusy hops, dryness, with a caramel and bready malt flavor. Very straight forward, not very complex.

Mouthfeel: Flat, very low carbonation. A bit syrupy with a medium body.

Drinkability: The biggest flaw with this beer is the lack of carbonation. Very bland Imperial IPA that just doesn't have the character it needs. An insult to what a quality imperial IPA should be, very disappointing brew.

xpoweruser, Jan 11, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -51.1%

Poured into 12oz glass. Poured a cloudy/hazy dull amber color. Minimal head of loose, coarse bubbles that dissipated instantly leaving zero lacing, highly unusual for a supposed hop-bomb. Strong, but dull, hop aroma. Slightly floral hop flavor, but no other outstanding features from hops. No malt foundation shows through. If there were any backbone the body would rate higher. This rates low on drinkability because it's a boring beer. Beer is the wrong descriptor, it should be called hop water. Not only is this a below average ImpIPA, it's a dull, uninteresting beer in general. Try it once, but there are many examples of this style that reach much greater heights that deserve your time and energy before this.

beertunes, Mar 17, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -50.4%

Another failure-to-carbonate from Port/The Flat Abbey. Such a shame. I usually love this beer, but this was just another uncarbonated disappointment from this brewery. I did my best to enjoy it anyway, but between the utter lack of carbonation, and the mouthfeel of the huge chunks of yeast and protein, I couldn't even make it through half a pint. At least it smelled nice going down the drain.

gockets, Apr 27, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -48.2%

On tap at the Toronado. Thanks for the beer, Chris.

A: Received in a pint glass (!). The amber body is tapped with a finger of dense, creamy white foam that retains well and even leaves a few spots of lace down the sides. Been a while since I had a carbonated Hop 15.

S: Very... malty. Caramel forward, with citrus backing it up. Somewhat on the solventy side when it warms.

T: Again, malty. I pick up mostly caramel, with some bread. They do little to balance out the citrus (grapefruit, some orange pith) hops; it's kind of a one-dimensional barleywine, if I had to be frightfully honest. When it warmed the alcohol came out and made me less inclined to finish it, though I did.

M: Chewy, malty, well carbed, and somewhat solventy.

D: I really didn't like this. I seem to remember it being a lot better out of the bottle when it was carbonated properly. Either I was wrong or my tastes have changed, but these days I prefer something a little drier. Among CA DIPAs this is just a no-go. I'd much rather have Pliny the Elder, Green Flash Imperial IPA, or even Double Jack than this malt monster.

Arbitrator, May 16, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -46.3%

tfidler, Apr 06, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -43.9%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy orange with a hint of caramel. Big fluffy and creamy head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Big fruity nose, sweeter stuff like mango, papaya and pineapple. Plenty of sweet malt and kinda boozy, too. Fruit flavors are oddly subdued, and it's a pine presence that dominates up front. The fruit returns to bring some juiciness to the finish. Very boozy and laden with caramel (like a big east coast DIPA, actually). I remain convinced that in general, an ABV over 8.5% or so is a bad idea. A frustrating beer, at times promising, at times plodding.

PDXHops, May 21, 2011
2.39/5  rDev -43%

Pours gold/orange with a massive white chunky head. Super carbonated as even a gentle pour resulted in 2/3 glass of foam. Solid lacing down the glass.

Lots of citrus on the nose. Almost candy like with a good dose of malt as well.

Lots of good citrus hoppiness up front. Malts come out in a big way eventually overpowering the hops. Sticky and resiny. Finishes very piney and malty with extreme booziness.

Thick creamy mouthfeel. Booze is way too prevelent and detracts from the flavor profile.

Was not a fan of this one at all. Always wary of higher ABV pales and this one was too extreme. Astrigent solvent like finish sapped anything good that came from the initial citrus burst. Will gladly seek out Mongo or Wipeout over this any day.

jmarsh123, May 03, 2013
2.42/5  rDev -42.2%

Bottle from Julio's in April, no BBD.

Carolus goblet, right after drinking a half growler of Avery collabo.

Nearing an inch of sediment on the bottom. I didn't trip on any furniture on my way to my desk.

Inch of cream-colored, milky head over a weighed down murky orange/amber body. Layered lace as it falls.

Smell is full of buttery toffee, intense nuttiness & grass clippings. Barleywine tenancies creep in as I feel the alcohol macerating my nostrils.

Taste is of burnt toast & sugar, leaves, & irritating grapefruit rind. Maybe a twinge of orange to go with the dusty finish. Oxidation-like newspaper note in there too. Alcohol is every bit the 10%. Balance is just something I'd prefer, but since there's no real complexity here, it doesn't offer up much besides acidic bitterness & the comforting notion that you can endure it(which sadly seems commonplace now).

Carbonation is strong & beaded though, helping you endure. Still quite syrupy. The alcohol doesn't make any friends.

A tired beer. I drink it as a penance.

PEBKAC, May 05, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured straight into the glass producing no head, but a bit of froth around the edges. Smells of apricots. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and flat. Tastes sweet and the apricots come back again, not too boozy and an aromatic hop on top. Not spicy at all for a double IPA.

Logging in, I was really surprised to see the positive reviews here. I wonder if my bottle wasn't bottled properly.

chrisms86, Apr 29, 2012

mikefuski17, Feb 01, 2014

pavpav12, Dec 24, 2011

random846, May 29, 2013

whartontallboy, Jan 04, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -39.1%

Bottle from City Beer Store. Hazy orange color, head subsides to pretty much nothing in a short matter of time. Smells really good - fragrant hops and citrus zing. The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy for my taste, a problem I also had with Port 2nd Anniversary. Taste - enormous hops, of course, with major pine. A little cloying and abrasive on the tongue. For an IPA, not bad, but this will be the only bottle of Hop 15 I'm likely ever to drink.

waltonc, Sep 27, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -36.8%

No date on bottle but I'll assume its fresh. Served cold in a tulip glass. Beer is brownish and hazy. Forms a weak head of largish bubbles that breaks. Head leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a bit odd to me....not sure what to make of it. Its piny and fruity, is it true there are 15 hops in here? Kind of weak. I would have made it in my face hoppy. Pretty malty in the aroma as well. I thought you Californians knew how to make a big IPA right...

Medium to full body, not much carbonation in the mouth, its not that bitter to start. Its nice up front with a forward flavor of malt and then it kind of falls flat and finishes a little dry. I'll try again, definitely dry at the finish, I guess the bitterness is growing, just not my favorite DIPA by a long shot.

drabmuh, Apr 22, 2010

injuredreserve, May 04, 2012

discharmingly, Nov 24, 2013

anteater, Nov 11, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

Thanks to weeare138 for this bottle.

A: Pours a dark amber with a big foamy head. Quite a lot of suspended sediment. Good head sustain with rings of thick lacing.

S: A nice hop smell with aromas of pine needles and citrus.

T: A harsh and astringent hop taste bombards the palate. Some nice but brief lemon and citrus flavors are overwhelmed by an intense raw vegetal taste. Horribly unbalanced, even for a DIPA.

M: Full-bodied with light carbonation. Strong lingering bitterness with a bit of heat.

D: Very undrinkable due to the extreme bitterness. Nearly a drain pour.

[ serving type: bottle ]

klewis, Nov 29, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -32.5%

Picked up a bottle form Julio's Liquor in MA on the way home form a road trip. Poured in to Dog Fish Head Snifter and absolutely no head.. I poured at a angle til about 15% noticing no head formation at all so I decided to pour straight in..still no head, so then I started pretty much splashing the beer into the glass and no head. The lack of head gave way to a seriously minimal aroma coming from the beer, and was very hard to pick out smells. The color of the beer was dead on amber hue and looked tasty except the lack of bubbles or any excitement in the glass. Taste was of a normal DIPA, Citrusy Hops came threw on the tongue with a strong copper tasting malt background. I feel the lack of any carbonation really kept the flavors from being fully tasted and enjoyed. Will drink again and re review when I come across another bottle.

BZero007, Apr 22, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -30.8%

22 oz bomber poured into pint.

A: orange with white head low retention

S: Grapefruit, and typical hoppiness.

T: lots of grapefruit.

M: Bitter, like grapefruit

D: Wife loved it, I did not. But she likes Grapefruit, and I do not. If grapefruit's your thing, go for it!

raiser, May 22, 2008