Old Viscosity - Port Brewing

Old ViscosityOld Viscosity

Port Brewing visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 07-09-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Viscosity Alström Bros
rxdrewthejew

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

This seems to be the only Port brew I can find around LA consistently (aside from the Lost Abbey stuff) so I figured I'd give it a try.

A: Looks like a stout, pitch black but just a bit of brown film as a head. This beer literally looks viscous when poured.

S: Not too much. Tons of coffee and maybe a little bit of hops as well.

T: Huge coffee flavor and tons of sweetness. Some very mild hopping with some citrus in the background. Lots of flavors going on here, although it was hard for me to pick out specific stuff. Some things I thought I noticed were cinnamon and chocolate, as well as a bit of a tart flavor which I assume is from the bourbon barrel aging.

MF: Thick, heavy and smooth. This one has tons of warming and a very big alcohol feel. The mild bitterness at the end makes this hard to gulp, so sipping is the way to go.

D: Very unique beer. It almost seems like a Russian Imperial stout/barleywine fusion. A heavy hitter with TONS of flavor. It was frustrating for me to not be able to identify specific flavors, but still quite good. With the ABV, though, don't make any plans if you're going to drink this beer. Not at the top of my big alcohol beers, but I'd drink it again.

11-26-2007 05:19:59 | More by rxdrewthejew
mnapier

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Service Temperature, 50 degrees. Service Glassware Belgian Tulip

No light can sprint its way through this glass as a dark & lightless appearance is throughout, affixed with a strong crown of salt and pepper (gray & white), with a strong cobweb of lace along the entire length of the glass.
A waft of sweetness, with brown sugar, coffee, slight rum, and some minor mustiness.
There is a slight oak (rum or bourbon) with roasted, molasses, spice, and a backend alcohol burn.
Overall mouthfeel is medium to strong. Overall a nice ale and would go well with some nice cheese, or maybe even a cherry pie and some vanilla ice cream.

Cheers

11-21-2007 03:22:47 | More by mnapier
ojiikun

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a short tulip, the closest thing I've got to a snifter. Colour is black as night, only the crests of waves show a golden-brown body with yellow hilights. Very, very little carbonation, no head at all, though the bottle certainly opened with a whoosh. Actually leaves a bit of lace as I sip. No birthday on the bottle, but the label is newer than the one displayed at the time of review, so it's clearly a bit newer, probably this year.

Smell is lots of chocolate, and good, dark vanilla, like a madagascar variety. Sweet-smelling, and plenty boozy. Nothing to hide here. Bourbon comes across not so much as burnt-woodey as like a sweet liquor. Reminds me of bourbon used in deserts, or like a smooth brandy. Some dryer notes as it warms carring what might be the faintest note of piney hops. What yeast I can find is the spicy domestic sort.

Wildly smoother than I expected. Not nearly as ashey as a porter or stout. Big chocolate and more oak than the nose. Caramel comes out with strength. Not alpha-bitter, but bitters-bitter. Very clean finish. Warmth has a cayene-like presence. A good, hard swirl in the snifter actually brings out some lighter esthers that make this almost like a dark belgian.

Mouthfeel is thick. And wheels are round. That said, it's not half as thick as I'd expected with the name. Carbonation could certainly be more feisty, but it manages to only coat with a thin flavour, not with too much sticky.

I'm not sure how to rank this in drinkability. I've never had a beer quite like this one, and I am tempted to just devour it in spite of the slightly odd texture and the very full and boozy body. I can imagine this brew having gone quite wrong with too dark a malt or too bright a nose, but neither are the case. I suppose this is a win.

Final thoughts? Lord do I want to age one of these for a year or two. If only I had some bourbon barrels of my own to bring that character along a bit further!

11-15-2007 09:03:25 | More by ojiikun
srandycarter

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Into the tulip.

I thought this was just about my favorite beer and rated it very highly the first entry. Another entry later was not as satisfying due to a lack of carbonation. This is the 'rubber' rating.

A - Aggressive pours yields almost no head. Disappointing. Lacing is almost non existent. Body is black and beautiful.

S - Bakers cocoa is the predominant smell. Close to it is the coffee supplemental aroma.

T - Very rounded. Big flavors of coffee and chocolate, mouth filling creaminess, carbonation almost there...

M - Viscous, as expected. Wish a little more carbonated as previous experience, but very coating and pleasant.

D - I will keep trying to achieve the Viscosity Nirvana I once felt. The latter two bottles were bought at the same time so it could be assumed that a batch went out at a lower than usual carbonation. This is one of the potentially best local beers around.

11-14-2007 05:14:32 | More by srandycarter
dnichols

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

I poured a 22 ounce capped bottle purchased at the Beer Shoppe in Yakima, WA into a chilled pint glass.

A: It poured a nearly black body with a deep brown slight head of less than half a finger under an aggressive pour. The head receded into a modest and spotty cover over the liquid and it fed a lacking that followed the head down the side of the glass as I emptied the brew. .

S: It emitted a sharp bitter chocolate complemented by raw roasted coffee and a hint of vanilla and brown sugar.

T: The burnt malts lead the charge and dominated the flavors early on...then just as I was questioning the dimensionality of this brew I began to experience the sweet tang of the bourbon barrel aging and the dark chocolate malts.

M: It has a big robust full body with a deep bitter chocolate front and a fairly clean dry and warming finish. As I got deeper into the bottle a lingering sour-bitter aftertaste came forward.

D: A bit over the top for a Strong Dark Ale...more of a Barley Wine. One is a treat...two in a session might tax my limits for full bodied, deeply flavored, and high ABV brew.

11-04-2007 04:44:10 | More by dnichols
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

I aged this bottle 1 year before drinking. I have to say that I'm a big fan of Port, and this is my favorite beer from them yet. Pours black and viscous with a head that settles to a thin cap and creates some lacing. The nose has sweet malt, bitter chocolate, whiskey, prunes, rum soaked cherries, and some piney hops. Great! The taste is very bitter up front with lots of piney hops, gentian, and bitter orange. These bitter flavors are followed by long creamy dry malt and whiskey notes. The mouthfeel is smooth but with tannic edges, and rich and thick. Extremely satisfying, this is simply a great beer.

10-28-2007 16:07:48 | More by Georgiabeer
domtronzero

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a deep dark blackish color, absorbing all light in the room. I had to turn on a few extra lights to see my way around. Nice creamy tannish head, leaving monstrously brilliant lacing throughout the finish. Aroma is of coffee and some mean hoppy resin smell. Taste is definitely coffee and chocolate, toffee and raisins up front. Not too sweet, and a really nice bitternes in the finish from the roasted malts and an unbridled use of hops. Very thick and mouth coating, I could probably lube the chassis of my pickup truck with this stuff. Please use caution with this beer, it's been known to make my bathroom an unbearable place after I've done my business the next morning. Maybe that's a good thing, if you're like me and want to mess with youtr wife! Hahaha.

10-23-2007 03:47:45 | More by domtronzero
RedChrome

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Pitch black colored liquid. Half inch dark brown golored head halved rapidly before shrinking at a slower rate. Too dark to see any carbonation rising. Thick sheet of lace.

Burnt toasty grains aroma hit first. A chocolate coverede cherry aroma pushed others out of the way with force. Subdued caramel in back.

Strong coffee taste right at the first sip. Woody vanilla is faint but present. Alcohol content is noticeable, but doesn't overpower the flavors.

Nice thickness on the mouth surfaces. Carbonation is tingles without a sudden burst.

A very fine brew. Good choice to complement a rich dessert. Not for people who don't like stronger beer. Try one if you a fan of darker or barrel aged beers.

10-22-2007 06:27:22 | More by RedChrome
jmalex

American Strong Ale? I've heard and seen some differing opinions on what exactly this beer is. But whatever it is, I'm just happy to be able to try my first beer from Pizza Port.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a becker glass absolutely pitch black with a latte brown head that is 2 fingers high. It drops to a thick surface coating which only has a small opening that reveals the black-colored ale. Lacing is visible in small sheets.

SMELL: Giant aromas of chocolate, caramel, and licorice dominate the nose. It's very robust and reminiscent of a Baltic Porter without the fruity esters. Approaching the level of the malt is a major hop presence. It's bitter and piny and balances the smell nicely.

TASTE: Whoa. I totally understand why people can't classify this beer. It starts with the chocolates and bitter malt character of a porter. Then comes a very noticeable alcohol burn, presumably from the bourbon barrel aging. But that's quickly followed by a citrusy and piny dose of hops. And as if that isn't enough roasted coffee flavors come on strong during the finish. This beer is all over the place and is a total beast because of it.

MOUTHFEEL: Thick, chewy, and... viscous! It's the texture of motor oil and very smooth. Not just knife-and-fork worthy. You might need a steak knife... or a sword.

DRINKABILITY: This beer is massive and drinkability suffers because of it. I'm unsure whether the alcohol taste to this is because of the 10% ABV or the bourbon barrel aging - probably a little of both. Either way, one bomber is surely enough.

If I had to pigeon-hole this beer, I might call it a barrel-aged stout. But why categorize it if you don't have to. Kudos to Tomme Arthur and the gang at Pizza Port for this impressive beer.

10-21-2007 21:39:02 | More by jmalex
seaoflament

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Pours a chocolate color, like an american stout, with an inch of hazelnut foam. This beer has a very attractive thin layer of foam once it settles.

Nice toasted malt aroma with chocolate, coffee, toffee, hints of vanilla, wood, and a slight whiff of alcohol in the background. Smells like a cross of a nut brown ale and a stout to me.

Taste is of chocolate and roasted malts, toffee, cocoa, and very little bourbon which pleases my preferences. There is also the slightest hint of anise. As it warms up there is more fruit flavors like cherry and green grapes.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a pleasant chocolate themed finish. Drinkability? This is such a big ale that it hides the 10% alcohol content masterfully, but I don’t think that 2 bombers of this would be a good idea.

10-20-2007 22:49:59 | More by seaoflament
Gusler

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

The beer pours from the 22 ounce bottle a deep brown with some ruby highlights, the dark tan head stacks three or so fingers upon the body, it decomposes quickly leaving a consolidated sheet of lace to cover the glass. “WOW”! what a nose, its chock full of malt, sweet and mouth watering, hints of chocolate, coffee, Port wine, just wish I had some incense or potpourri with this fragrance. Start is thick with sweet malt, and a bitter bite from the 10 percent ABV, top is definitively full and rich. Finish has delightful hop presence, the acidy masterful, and a dry aftertaste that coats the palate, the alcohol warms the tummy, A real “Hoot” this masterpiece of the brewers art.

10-16-2007 17:35:21 | More by Gusler
walshclimb

Nevada

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours black with a thin tannish brown head. Noticeably slower pouring than other beers. My wife exclaimed "yuk". She didn't get any. Smells of roasted to burnt malt with a hint of chocolate. The initial flavor is roasted malt with heavy carmelized sugar and a hint of chocolate. Bitter, long lived aftertaste that picks up a licorice/anise flavor. As it warmed up, I could pick up flavors ranging from tobacco to burnt malts. This is pretty complex, but a little on the bitter and burnt side for my taste. The mouthfeel is good. Full bodied with oily to syruppy feel and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is decent but not great. I would put it in the stout/imperial stout category. I would prefer something less burnt. Paired with a sweet dessert, the edge is taken off a little. Try ice cream, or apple pie.

10-16-2007 14:37:01 | More by walshclimb
noremorse1

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

This beverage pours out thick and black, impenetrable to light. It is as if I was letting out the old burnt oil on my Jeep. It maintains a creamy head with a noticeable amount of lacing.

There is a smell of roasted coffee beans and chocolate. The alcohol sneaks up under my nose too. A second inhalation reveals some highly fermented fruit and a small amount of vanilla. There is a lot occurring within my olfactory senses.

Taste coincides with smell. I was almost intimidated upon tasting this beer. However, the first sip or two shocks the palate with so many flavors. The two that overwhelm, outside of the distinctly strong taste of alcohol, are roasted coffee and chocolate. Accompanying the two is an obvious roasted malt and distinct hop. A complex taste that, in my opinion, would be worth a full session as the taste expands sip after sip.

It coats the mouth with a warm, sweet and buttery taste leaving an alcohol infused sensation coating the mouth and piercing the tongue. It quickly goes bitter and dry, commanding a second... third... etc. sip. This is a great quality in any beer.

Wow. My brother-in-law ‘brian700’ has raved about the Pizza Port and Lost Abbaye beer’s for some time. Finally I get to see why he was so excited about them. Nothing short of amazing. I wish I would have bought a few more bottles as this sets up an evening of drinking nicely. If you are a fan of the dark stuff (Guiness, Murphy’s, Beamish, etc.) you need to do yourself a favor and try this out! Prost!

10-13-2007 08:17:40 | More by noremorse1
bosco7

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Really does pour like motor oil. Thick black with a thin creamy tan head atop the black goo.

Chocolate, liquorice, and lots of tofee are imediately apparent in the nose. Maple syrup and bread pudding. Very appealing aromas.

Starts with a lot of rich dark chocolate and burnt toast. In the middle the more sugary flavors become apparent such as toffee, brown sugar, raisin, fig and maple syrup. Finish has liquorice, booze, and more roasted flavors. Very interesting and complex flavor profile not really fitting into any style but in between them. Think Imperial Olde Barley Wine Stout Ale. Delicious.

Mouthfeel-name says it all. Alcohol is a little heavy handed. Overall a very tasty and complex brew that will leave your palate exhausted. In a good way. Highly recommended.

09-18-2007 03:58:20 | More by bosco7
snpub540

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

First offering that I have tried from Port Brewing and I was impressed.

Pours out a black, reminescent of pure night. Seriously no light gets through this one. It was topped of by a small brown head which I found to be surprisingly large for such a high alcohol beer. Little spots of lacing foam on the glass but not very many.

The aromas present were very sweet indeed. Licorice, vanilla, coffee. Had some scents that reminded me of a port. Smells alot like a RIS.

Taste was not as complex as I had hoped for, but good nonetheless. Mostly roasted malts and coffee. Alcohol sweetness and warmth in the finish.

Very smooth on the tongue, almost velvet-like. The alcohol was not overpowering at all, which made this beer very drinkable. Will definately have to pick up some more of these and put them down for some aging.

09-12-2007 07:16:53 | More by snpub540
DoubleJ

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Despite the style this falls under, Old Viscosity looks and tastes like an Imperial Stout. Available on a semi-regular basis here in SoCal and courtesy of BevMo, on to the beer:

This beer pours like heavy sludge from the bomber into a snifter. Aroma is cocoa dominate with alcoholic esters with a burnt touch. This brews starts with a slap of alcohol on the tongue that has a touch of a spicy feel to it. More of the same flavors in the smell run inside in the mouth too. I would recommend splitting this with a friend versus drinking the whole bottle.

09-09-2007 22:00:23 | More by DoubleJ
genog

Pours a coal black color with minimal dark tan head that disappears to leave you staring into darkness in a glass. Smell is of licorice and dried fruit. I can smell dried oranges. Taste is a little licorice and some light cocoa notes. Some of the dried fruit comes through but not as much in the nose. A real warming sensation hits me in the chest as the alcohol is really present.

09-08-2007 03:07:35 | More by genog
kernalklink

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured a coal black with some thin lacing- very different that i had expected. Thick and syrupy- the aromas are all warm brandy liquor and dried dark fruits- the roasted character tis present but overwhelmed. Nice and smooth mouthfeel- very rich. The chocolatey flavors really come out and the malts also represent a thckness. Im not sure if the fruitiness is from the malty sweetness or the burning alcohol. There is a lot of flavor here. ther eis a dryness to the finish, and the bourbon aging brings another level to the brews ending notes. Recommended, but share it with a friend- definately not a strong ale in my book, its stout in every way.

09-08-2007 01:57:46 | More by kernalklink
ArrogantB

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

My first Pizza Port brew! For some reason I thought this would be like a stout, it isn’t. It is black as oil and has a thin ring of bubbles for a head. The smell is some vanilla and sweet candy. The flavor is strong, more vanilla, raisins, dark fruit. Good flavors but the alcohol is noticeable. 22oz is too much, I should have split this bomber with someone but oh well.

09-05-2007 16:10:47 | More by ArrogantB
brentk56

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Pours an espresso black color with a sturdy head that retains nicely and leaves a web of lacing on the glass

Smell: Dark chocolate, oak, rum-soaked dark fruit

Taste: Starts with a roasty, oaky, fruit cake-influenced chocolate flavor that is incredibly intense; by mid-palate, the hoppy bitterness adds complexity and, after the swallow, the chocolate builds in sweet/bitter intensity, portending an entrance to molasses and charcoal flavors that join the fruit cake elements in the finish

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, with moderate to low carbonation and a bit of heat as the beer warms

Drinkability: One luscious brew, closer to a RIS than a Strong Ale in my book, but I'll not argue with the brewer

Thanks, Boolshot, for the opportunity

09-04-2007 00:59:56 | More by brentk56
arizcards

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Original Review 9-1-07:
Picked up a bomber in mid-May for $4.99 at AJ's.

Beer poured black as night with a nice brown head initially. 4.0

Nose is very pleasant, of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. 4.5

Taste is a wonderful medley of chocolate malts, mocha, and hints of vanilla finishing with a blast of hops. Alcohol was strong initially but has blended nicely after a few sips. 4.5

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied and pretty smooth. 4.5

This is a very drinkable brew that I recommend to double stout lovers! 4.5

Re-reviewed on 6-22-12. Picked up a bottle from Total Wine in early January 2012 for $5.99. Bottled on 4-8-11.

Brew is very black with a brown head with great hang time. 4.5

Nose has hints of mocha, coffee, dark fruits, and vanilla. 4.5

Taste has dark cocoa, hints of coffee, dark fruits, and vanilla. 4.0

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth. 4.0

Overall this is a good double stout. It drinks a bit hot which is expected from a fresh double stout but not one bottled on 4/8/11 that sat on a store shelf for 6 months.

09-01-2007 01:05:37 | More by arizcards
franksnbeans

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours an opaque black with a chocolate milk head that takes its time and laces with vengeance. Smells sweet, cherries, chocolate and roasted coffee. Tastes very sweet. Every indication of a stout up until this point. Dried fruit, cherries, rum and a hop bite. Alcohol makes itself known. Thick and full in the mouth with carbonation a little present. She is a sipper. Worth a try and very tasty along with breaking its categorie's mold.

08-31-2007 01:27:44 | More by franksnbeans
Billolick

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Large bottle, no freshness indication, pours dark, real dark, great looking dark tan head, leaving fine, scattered lacing and nicely knit sheeting. sniff of an alcoholic dark chocolate milk shake. Yum. Intense, complex and interesting concoction....loads of dark chocolate, chocolate syrup, rum soaked fudge, black expresso beans. Fine beer, dark beer lovers rejoice and go get some.

08-28-2007 02:28:17 | More by Billolick
Flyer

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

An amazing beer. The aroma and the intial taste impressions remind me of DFH Worldwide Stout (and while I love the latter beer and its 18% abv, this was nicely alcoholic but still drinkable) -- notes of port wine and intense, fruity maltiness. The long middle was like a topflight brown ale, and the finish was surprisingly hoppy for a beer of this style (which is not to say hoppier than most, but hoppy for the style). One of the best beers I've had in a while.

08-22-2007 03:00:47 | More by Flyer
stephendr

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

22 oz. bottle- color of black, with a tan head - nose of cola, vanilla, bitter chocolate, and subtle anis – taste of vanilla, charcoal, cola, coffee, bitter sweet chocolate, and malt- body is thick and chewy, sweet, and with low carbonation – aftertaste of chocolate, and anis

08-14-2007 23:39:49 | More by stephendr