High Tide Fresh Hop IPA - Port Brewing

Port Brewing visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: oggg on 10-24-2004

Reviews: 519 | Hads: 1,067

After opening the bottle I enjoy the first smell of this IPA each year, much like a fine wine. Each year the smell gets better and better. Like all others have said pours a golden / amber cloudy hue, with fresh hops floating in the pour. Per this IPA and many other from "Port Brewing" you must look on the bottom of the bottle to see if it has settled. If it has gently invert the bottle and get the ale to disturb the sentiment from it's resting spot. Really important to do this. I have found that this IPA imop is greatly enjoyable in of course a very frosted pint glass and to have the IPA itself at about 40 degrees F. All i n all this is a great brew that comes out at harvest time and if you love the Hops you will not be disappointed in the least. Cheers.

Massive head on first pour, but love the big time hops smell that comes with it. Color is a lightorange.

Aroma: Citrus and hoppy

Taste: Just like it smells.

Mouthfeel: Delicious

Overall - Just how I like it - loads of hops. ... I'd drive a few hours for this beer - actually, 68 minutes - it's in my top 6.

very cloudy beer dark yellowish color to i. no head but thats ok. citrusy. smells burnt.not too much going on. still a really good brew. good price for a fresh hop one of the better ones i have tried, sierra fresh hop, garbage compared to this. pizza port killing it as always.

Hats off to Port, Keep the beers coming!

I love West Coast Style IPAs, In my mind the best beers in the world come out of the United States, as much as I love all kinds of beers, I think what the Americans are doing deserve to be looked at all one the world and acknowledged.

Appearance: hazy straw like quality, with a really, really pronounced head (poured into a Pint ale glass)

Smell: Very floral and a hint of citrus.
I recommend not chilling this beer too much, as the cooler it is, it seams to suppress the smell.

Taste: Lovely complex happiness, with grapefruit, and pine resins, It finishes bitter, but not overpowering and simply nice. The dryness is such that is does not leave one thirsty, other then wanting another beer.

Mouthfeel: full mouth feeling, medium body but not to carbonated.

Overall: Really a good tasty Fresh hopped beer. Would love to drink more of them!

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

This is as good as it gets for an IPA/pale ale. It is beautifully unfiltered, perfect hop to malt balance. The malt character is lighter than some of the darker hued IPA's and works wonders. For reference on taste I think racer 5 and six points global warmer are in the same ballpark for quality, uniqueness and quaff ability

If you see it get it - awesome quality brew

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Amazingly fruity floral hoppy flavor. No head at all to speak of, though that might have been an effect of it being on draught. Enjoyed it with a sausage platter that it paired beautifully with. Port Brewing wins again. Medium-high bitterness on the finish. Incredibly aromatic!

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Wet hopped High Tide, with Centennial and Chinook hops had at the Toronado SF.

This pours a clear golden-tan color with nice foam. It has a pleasant aroma, very inviting, crisp and light. I get a big citrusy lemon-zest with some apricot and tangerine notes. The flavor is vibrant—which I find a rewarding and welcome aspect of wet hopped beers—with a blast of flavor and energy, even. It has a sharply defined bitterness, with a flavor of orange marmalade and piney stickiness mingled with a piney resiny finish. Overall just an excellent brew. I loved it—hands down my favorite of the night, and one I imagine I will be craving for months to come. Try it if you can. I’m hoping I’ll get another chance to do just that.

Photo of
4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Being a dedicated hop-head, I eagerly await the release of this beer each year. With the hop harvest comes an influx of "fresh hop" and "wet hop" beers; This is, by far, my favorite to date.

22oz. super fresh bottle(25 cases of which arrived at my work yesterday!) into my A.V.B.C. Rastal Tulip/Snifter @ approximately 45 degrees F.

A: Pours a hazy, golden/orange hue with a big, creamy, Belgian-esque, fluffy, white head(most definitely from the bottle conditioning). Beautiful lacing and pretty excellent retention. Some spotty yeast chunks floating around on the second pour(needless to say, also from the bottle conditioning).

S: Some very nice(albeit subtle) floral and grassy aromas at first. At a second whiff, I get lots of stone fruits(light apricot? white peach? nectarine?)

T: Oh, glorious hops! Starts off with the exact same suggestion of stone fruits plus some nice bitter grapefruit(w/the pith). Also, some nice floral and herbal tones in there. Pretty assertive bitterness(almost medicinal). None of that malty sweetness which has made me scrupulous of most IPA's. So fresh, clean, and hoppy and absolutely delicious. The malts are so far in the background it's like hop tea.

M: Light to medium body. Very refreshing. Wonderful dry finish. A lasting bitterness resides which is unlike most other(maltier) IPA's.

D: Probably one of most refreshing yet assertively hoppy IPA's ever made. So light and dry yet so subtly complex. If only the hop harvest could be 4 months earlier up here. This would be the ultimate summer quaffer!

If you're a fan of a little more malt/sweetness in your IPA, this may not be the brew for you. I, however, have become very selective in my choices and prefer to leave all the sugary sweetness behind and search out only the hoppiest of flavor profies(i.e. Nelson, Hopfather, Sculpin, Duet etc.) . This is one of my favorites and I will probably go through multiple c cases as I did in previous years.

Highly recommended.

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

This is my favorite IPA, equal to Pliny the Elder. It is an A+ IPA, not A-.

Classic example of a West Coast IPA: Dry, low lovibond (light-colored, for you who aren't homebrewers), and piney aroma from the Simcoe (that's a hop). It's basically a Pliny the Elder, but without the Columbus (that's a hop).

Anyone who would give this anything less than an A should not be reviewing IPA's. This beer is a religious experience for IPA lovers.

And I found it in July. ;-p. No Beerspy, sorry, going to hoard it, heh heh.

4.82/5  rDev +19%

This is the first beer I have purchased from Port Brewing Co. in California. As a harvest ale, made with fresh hops, its only available for a short time, then I have wait til next year to get more.

Anyway, its a typical orangey gold color, with floaties in it and haze from being dry hopped to hell. What I would expect.

Aroma is not as good as Russian River's IPA's, as there is an element missing, but it still smells fresh and excellent...plant like...like pinecones and grass and vines etc. Also a touch of caramel and a boozey note as to be expected.

Taste is pretty brilliant...like they brewed right next to the hop garden..picked fresh simcoe and centennial buds right off the vine and immediately threw them in the kettle. Hops wickedly dominate, with a citrusy and resiney bitterness, only more "in your face fresh," rather than oily like some other harvest ales can be. Dry hopping nicely adds to the bitterness/flavor impact.

There is a nice drying on my palate and finishing this bomber leaves me craving more.

Its only 6.5%, very drinkable for me. Only available for a limited time. I will look forward to this new find every year from now on. I am sure the draft version is mind blowing.

4.79/5  rDev +18.3%

16oz Draft at SPTR

A. Glowing golden yellow, cloudy with a lot of yeast sediment and other sediment which is not a surprise for a port IPA

S. Freshly harvested grassy hops with bready malt profile

T. Grassy and piny hops up front with a mild malt backing, bitter hops create a coating on the palate.

M. real munchy, hearty hops create a resiny mouthfeel.

O. Excellent wet hop ale, in my top 5.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Picked up a 22 oz. bomber from Table & Vine in West Springfield, Mass. Features a forest green label with the port hole graphic and an illustration of a couple of surfers about to et slammed by a green tsunami. Brewed with Centennial and Simcoe hops, my personal favorites!

The brew pours a brilliant golden yellow and a good pour renders a thick fluffy, bright white head. Lots of chunky white lacing.

Awesome hop aroma that pretty spans every possible aroma I can think of associated with hops, citrus, pine, grassy and spicy with a touch of pungeunt blue cheese. Despite the large hop aroma I still pick up some sweet, bready, malt aroma in back.

The beer is rather full-bodied, slightly slick texture, and a bite from the carbonation bubbles.

High Tide is an incredibly juicy, lush beer with a light malt sweetness up front but lets face it it's all about the hops with this one. Huge amount of flavor hops! There are some sweet fruity flavors of pineapple, and grapefruit and in the end a dry, fresh grapefruit bitterness. The malt bill is very light but is able to balance the hop load and give off a light honey-like sweetness.

I am not sure when this beer was released but the hops seem are fresh and delicious to me. I would rank this IPA up there with Sierra Nevada's Celebration and Founder's Centennial IPA

Truly an excellent IPA, I want to enjoy this beer slowly but it tastes so good I'm sipping the shit out of it. I would drink it every day if I could get ahold of it.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance - Pretty much all you could ask for out of an ipa. Shiny gold with a bit of a yellowish tint to it, with a billowing white crown. The head foamed up almost like a cappucino, and lingers for quite some time. Lacing is massive and completely suffocated the sides of the glass.

Smell - Not only does this one deliver in the hops category, but it packs a heavy citrus punch. Lemon and orange seem to be more pronounced than others. Fantastic job by the brewers at Port on this one.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Not overly biting or harsh, and not trying to be more than it needs to be. This is the best balance of hops and citrus fruits I have tasted in quite some time. Gently bitter and fruity, with enough malt to balance it out and give it a smooth, silky, medium mouth feel. Aftertaste just wows me, as it's so easily bitter and lasting. Makes me really want to savor every taste.

Drinkability - I love fresh hop beers, and this is the best one that has ever passed my lips. Sierra Nevadas is good but can't even hold a candle to this one. Wonderful to the nth degree.

4.76/5  rDev +17.5%

I got the hook up from a friend who "found" a case in the stock room at my local whole foods. So here is the review.
The beer is a very cloudy golden color that sticks to Port's tradition. The aroma of fresh hops was amazing. If my eyes were closed I would believe that I was in a room with a large quantity of hops being dried for brewing. The taste was delicious. I have never had a fresh hop this rich in flavor. Again following Port's tradition. However, the booziness is not that high, which port is normally known for. Despite that this was an amazing beer to drink and when I was done, very quickly I must add, I wanted more.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

Color is Light tangerine orange and a pretty good amount of haziness. Beautiful thick creamy fluffy white head. Lacing is superb.

Smell is Pineapple and minneola tangelo. Fresh, clean, aromatic, and mouth watering.

Liquid hops best describes this one. Amazing hop flavor. I'm in heaven with this beer.

Mouthfeel is Smooth and clean. Great amount of carbonation. Wonderfully appealing.

drinkability is out of this world. This is a top notch beer in my opinion. What more can i say. I could drink this all day long. And at 6.5% abv. the sessionability is fabulous.

Overall i would HIGHLY recommend this beer. This has cracked my upper tier of favorites. Two enthusiastic thumbs up to Port Brewing!!!

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Gold-plated lemon peel that becomes opaque lemon curd on the final pour. The crown is lightly yellowed ivory in hue and has a great deal of character that is most likely due to hop resins. Sticky foam bridges deposit lovely looking lace when they eventually break.

Few aromas in this world are more amazing than fresh American hops that have been skillfully turned into India pale ale. It's been a long time since I smelled an IPA this explosively tropical fruity. Grapefruit, lemon, orange... out of this world!

High Tide Fresh Hop is as good as expected... if not better. The fact that it may have lost a little potency in the several weeks since the release boggles the mind. It's still amazingly hoppy and fantastically delicious, so don't wait any longer if you're sitting on a bottle. To state the obvious, fresh hop beer should be enjoyed fresh!

It's great that there's (probably) nothing darker than pale malt in the house. That sugar cookie sweetness is a perfect foil for the showcase that is Centennial and Simcoe hops. This might be my favorite hop duo of all-time. There's something about their flavors in combination that makes my taste buds dance a little jig.

Each mouthful is like tossing juicy chunks of white and pink grapefruit, pineapple, lemons and oranges into a blender, hitting puree and then chugging the whole enchilada. Even though there's enough malt sweetness to keep the beer from being punishingly hoppy, the buzzsaw bitterness is still capable of blasting the taste buds into oblivion over the course of a bomber.

The mouthfeel is everything that even the harshest critic could want in beer of this style. It's at least medium-full, and has a luscious, velvety, mouthfilling creamy quality that contrasts very well with the semi-serrated edges of the alpha acids.

Port Brewing's Fresh Hop IPA is at least as good as Great Divide Fresh Hop Ale and Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. It's a tough call, but this might be the best bottled version that I've ever had the pleasure to consume. It probably borders on blasphemy, but comparing it to Town Hall's annual Fresh Hop masterpieces would not be out of line. Highly recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Delicious huge fresh hop flavored IPA.

I like this style of beer. I like the overwhelming flavor of the hops. It makes me imagine an idyllic hop farm. So, perhaps, I'm not the most impartial of judges, but this beer is just great. It's not quite Russian River great, but it's an extremely slim difference and I could understand the alternative argument. Most of my scores were chosen with Blind Pig squarely in mind.

The beer is a deep orange with a big soapy head. Mountains of fine foam sit atop the liquid. The head could have been a bit more aggressive initially.

The beer has a fantastic smell. It's citrus, pine and earthy flowers. It's how I imagine fresh hops would smell if I ran them between the palms of my hands. Of course, I have never been to a hop farm and doing that might smell like nothing at all for all I know.

The taste is quite good. I will note that the bitterness tends to crowd out the other flavors more than with Blind Pig, which explains my score. Of course, I gave it a 4.5, so I still think it's great. It's sweet with lots of hops and a strong bitter hop aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is also excellent. The bitterness does cause some pucker, but I can enjoy that. On the other hand, it does shock the taste buds some. It's an extremely dirnkable beer. It's relatively low alcohol with a huge amount of flavor. Great beer.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Had a bottle at Cobblestones in York, PA. I was surprised to see it on their beer list and had to give it try. 22 oz. bottle, no freshness date. Based on the description this beer is brewed in the fall, but it showed no age affects.

Pours a fairly pale yellow with a decent head. The aroma is hops, hops, hops, as is the taste. The fresh hops give a unique flavor though, sort of grasslike. It's hard to describe, but very good. Mouthfeel is fine, and drinkability is off the charts. Great flavor, reasonable alcohol, very refreshing, great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +16%

Starts with a lemon orange and biscuit nose with a hint of garden herbs in the background. Pours slightly hazy gold with a very finely bubbled, boisterous 3” lightly yellow tinted white foam cap. The cap very slowly drops to ½” and produces very clingy, clumpy lace. A very creamy palate begins with juicy citrus over biscuit with a hint of nuts leading to a citrus rind bitterness softened by lemon and orange flavors. There is a touch of herbal astringency on the finish. A fine soft carbonation supports a creamy, luscious body.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The first time I ever tried it on tap, I fell in love. It's hard to find (especially off season) on the east coast, but I literally look for it every time I go to the packie. So fresh tasting with a strong hoppy flavor but surprisingly light. Obviously better on tap in season but it doesn't fail to satisfy year round.

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance - Nice head which settles fast and leaves some foam on the glas.

Smell - Wonderfull smell of hops. Lots of grape.

Taste - A well balanced IPA, not to bitter. Sweet taste of pineapple wint a wonderfull grape and citrus taste.

Mouthfeel - Lightly carbonated, nice mouthfeel.

Drinkabillity - Very drinkable, a perfectly balanced IPA which makes it very drinkable!

A great beer, you probably should drink it fresh!

4.66/5  rDev +15.1%

I had high hopes for this one, given that it was over $5.50 for a 22oz'er.

Appearance is pretty darn good. The color is a bit pale and thing, but the head is awesome and follows the brew all the way down the glass.

The smell and taste are incredible; you can actually smell the cut, fresh hops. I've had Sierra Nevadas versions of Fresh Hop Ale, but I think this one beats any of those over the head. The taste of the hops is unique and the malt helps stabilize the overall experience.

This isn't one for those who don't like hops. It's also not for anyone looking for a cheap, quick beer. This is an ale. Tried and true.

November Update: After quaffing this for awhile now, I had to reup the ratings a tad. This is really one fine fresh hop ale. Infact, I think this sets the standard.

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a hazy light amber, with a huge 2 finger foamy white head that does not away and leaves huge chunks of lacing along the entire pint glass. Cloudy, with tons of carbonation visible at the bottom of the glass and rising throughout.

Aroma is of piney and floral hops, very inviting and fresh-smelling.

This one does battle with my tongue - I love it. The hops announce themselves right up front with huge pine and floral taste. Perhaps flavor similar Randall The Enamel Animal, with beer poured through fresh hops. As the ale warms, the bitterness becomes more pronounced, but the malt never shows it's face. At least not to my unsophisticated taste.

Mouthfeel is peppery and carbonated, with a pleasantly oily finish. Amazingly drinkable at 6.5%. (I think it lies.)

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Lovely. Just lovely.

This is a beautiful beer, bright yellow, slightly hazy, with a torrent of carbonation. The aroma is citrusy, lemony, spicy. The flavor is intensely lemony, with a zesty bitterness and a sharp hop bite. The mouthfeel is smooth, a little clingy, with a bite of carbonation. The finish has a sharp lemony bite.

This is simply delicious, like a delicious beery answer to lemon aid.

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Julio's, Marlboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1 1/4" light beige head over the clear golden brew. Dense head lasts well, with sporadic hunks of lace prevalent. Aroma is pungeant green hops, dripping with pine and citrus character. Taste reflects the nose, although there could be a bit more malt to hold it all together. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, especially for the style, and drinking is nice as well. Got a lot more out of this one than I was expecting.

High Tide Fresh Hop IPA from Port Brewing