High Tide Fresh Hop IPA - Port Brewing

High Tide Fresh Hop IPAHigh Tide Fresh Hop IPA

Port Brewing visit their website

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 10-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
KingNugos

10-15-2012 00:27:18 | More by KingNugos
kenhutchinson

Appearance: As soon as I uncapped the beer, it sprayed all over me, despite the fact that it had been sitting undisturbed in my cold fridge for two days. Nice color, but the beer all over my face and kitchen did not look great.

Smell: Dry hopped sourness.

Taste/mouthfeel: Like overcarbonated soda water with simcoe and amarillo.

I emailed the Port Brewing via the "contact us" link on their website and didn't get a response after 7 days. If I got a response offering to make amends, I would have reviewed that beer, but alas, I only had this contaminated foam bomb to write about.

Port needs to learn how to carbonate their beers.

11-18-2012 15:50:34 | More by kenhutchinson
JamisonM

Arizona

1.7/5  rDev -58.1%

Last time I had this beer I loved it going into this review expecting to love the beer

A: bright orange off white head with a sponge type of bubbles

S: searching for a smell here what the fuck??? fresh hop IPA?? I am not getting anything

T: a slight more hoppy taste but it tastes anything but fresh

M: how can I like this bad beer in my mouth I dont waste of cash it cost 7 bucks what a waste of money

D: I can only think of one IPA I ever drank worse then this its shit

Overall: I hated it

10-16-2010 03:11:18 | More by JamisonM
Hophead717

10-28-2012 00:48:14 | More by Hophead717
Another6Pack

2.38/5  rDev -41.4%

Bought this one a few weeks ago, and very likely has some age on it since Ba says it is brewed in the fall. No date on the bottle.

Appearance is a deep, hazy yellow with a thin white head. Lots of bubbles suggest it is highly carbonated. Lacing clings well. Nose was immediately apparent as soon as the bottle was opened. Smells like a lager, and a macro at that.

Hops have apparently long since faded on this one. Carbonation level is very high, and provide the only zip across the tongue in this hopless bottle.

I may finish this one, but won't buy again unless and until the bottle has a date or I have some assurance it is fresh.

04-24-2011 21:23:13 | More by Another6Pack
kojevergas

2.6/5  rDev -36%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California a few hours ago and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz. I'm drinking it as fresh as I possibly can. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery. 6.5% confirmed. No best before date.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with hard pretzels from Trader Joe's.

A: Pours almost entirely head. Beige with nice cream and thickness. Excellent retention. Body colour is a cloudy nontransparent non-opaque pale dull yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Generally appealing for the style.

Sm: Clean floral hops dominate. Very light, pleasant, and understated. Clean malts. Nectar. It's nice not getting beaten over the head with hop bitterness. Let's hope that carries into the flavour as well. A subtle, light aroma. Appealing and atypical.

T: Clean malt foundation with fresh floral hops atop it. Some hop bitterness on the climax, but only a pleasant surge thereof. Clean and floral all around, with no complex pine or oily character or grapefruit or citrus or any of that murky mess that often makes it into IPAs unwelcomed. A clean, refreshing, fresh floral IPA. The hop bitterness is bothersome, but all around it's relatively well balanced. Not complex or subtle, but pleasant to drink.

Mf: Light, wet, and smooth. Carbonation is off; seemingly flat but the head is ridiculous at the same time. Too thin. Meh.

Dr: Hop 15 is a far far better IPA from Port, but this is passable. Far overpriced. I almost wish I'd aged it to mellow out the bitterness a bit. Any IPA fan will like this, but few will love it. I certainly don't. I might try it again on draught. I expect far better from Port.

C-

10-19-2012 06:31:09 | More by kojevergas
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance: Pours a bright, clear yellow body with a white head.

Smell: A spicy, floral aroma with notes of juicy pineapple and watered down honey.

Taste: Thin, fleeting cereal sweetness with the taste of pears before the jarring bitterness and heavy acidity of the long, unpleasant finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Harsh and uninteresting.

06-19-2007 18:46:19 | More by ChainGangGuy
ibbjamin

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Paid $6.99 for a bomber from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Poured into a large snifter to review.

Upon cracking this, some white foam spilled slowly over the top of the bomber. A gentle pour leads to a half inch of feathery white head that retains nicely. Beer is opaque from cloudiness and a light golden orange color. Nice lacing.

Nose is quite floral and dank with pine and grapefruit dominating. The bottle indicates fresh centennial and simcoe flowers were added, hence the fresh hop name. The sticky, piney aromas indicate the heavy use of simcoe hops in the brewing process. Certainly hop forward and pleasing to the nose, especially large for a single IPA. As it warms, a slight creaminess also comes into play.

Rarely do my taste and smell ratings for an individual beer vary greatly, but in this one, I feel the taste is just average. The hops seem to become much more one dimensional in taste with bittering citrus aromas dominating. The taste is also a bit of a letdown in part due to the mouthfeel which to me is overcarbonated and too crisp.

The beer is medium bodied and has a medium citrus hop finish.

The price is quite steep and the ABV is relatively low, especially for beers of that price. Don't think I'll be getting this one again.

12-02-2009 06:22:37 | More by ibbjamin
beertunes

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy straw yellow with an inch of white head that had very good retention and very low lacing.

A solidly hoppy aroma greets the nose, without much malt in the foundation. The taste was overwhelmingly bitter, mostly citrus hops, and not the pleasant kind of bitter. There were no malt flavors showing through.

The body was thin, even by modern IPA standards. Drinkability was typical for a bitter hop bomb. Overall, kind of a one-trick pony. Not terrible, but not worth seeking out either.

11-04-2010 22:06:20 | More by beertunes
israel

2.8/5  rDev -31%

A- almost looks like a macro sitting in my glass. not much head, just some spotting on the surface.

S- clean, but reserved, hoppiness without much else.

T- hoppy flavor but nothing extraordinary. thinking this bottle is past its prime and probably had a pretty short shelf life to start with.

M- thin with not enough carbonation

D- need to try this fresh and hopefully revise this review.

03-20-2009 03:05:15 | More by israel
jlandis

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

A: Light golden yellow with a thin to non-existent head. Poured crystal clear at first, and then hazed as the dregs made their way into the glass.

S: Crisp citrus aroma - definitely picked up the Centennial aromas. No malt aroma present.

T: Immediate bitter blast. No malt backbone, just solid bitter hops and at that they were very grassy and harsh.

M: Thin mouthfeel with low carbonation.

D: The bitter hops and thin mouthfeel led this to be a difficult beer to get through. I feel like this was one of those beers they just crammed a lot of hops in and didn't take as much care in the malt department - although I suppose I am an East Coast hoppy beer lover (i.e. enjoys a strong malt backbone).

03-09-2009 19:06:57 | More by jlandis
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a cloudy beige color ale with a small bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of medium citrus and bitter hops is somewhat less intense then I would have hoped. Taste is dominated by medium bitter and citrus hops with a lack of malt to balance the beer together. Body is pretty full with limited filtration with some low carbonation. I am not sure if I did get a bad bottle but I was not overly impressed by this one.

08-16-2007 15:02:46 | More by Phyl21ca

Damian

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

Drank from a 1 pint 6fl. oz. bottle
Served in a pint glass

Thanks to fumner for including this as an extra in our trade.

The beer poured a slightly hazed, straw yellow color with a tight, fluffy, bright white, one-finger head that slowly faded to a resilient frothy film. A bit of the yeast sediment from the bottle slipped into the liquid, clouding it even further. Thin streaks of lacing trickled down the glass.

The aroma was pleasant yet somewhat subdued. Hoppy with a notable biscuity malt presence. Citrus (orange zest), lemon peel and touch of yellow grapefruit were all apparent in the hop profile. Subtle tropical fruit notes came through as well.

The taste was simply an onslaught of pithy, bitter hops. Grapefruit rind and pine sap dominated. Sticky and resiny. Sharp and somewhat acidic. The lingering finish was incredibly dry and bitter. It reminded me of chewing on pine needles.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin for the style with an above average amount of carbonation. At times, the liquid felt almost airy on my tongue.

Drinkability was somewhat poor. I usually love hoppy beers but this one lacked any semblance of balance. The ultra dry, bitter and piney nature of this hop monster was simply overbearing.

12-10-2009 04:32:03 | More by Damian
HeroJH

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Nice Californian IPA, pretty hoppy. I might not buy it again though. I would try it on tap though, as I suspect this might just be a freshness issue? If I get local and on tap, I'll review again.

A - Good head and lacing. Pale yellow color.

S - some nice hop smell, citrus oil. But overall pretty one dimensional. Not interesting.

T - a bit more bitter on the front and end than flavorful. A bit tart. The finish is just plain bitter. It's not bad, if you're in the mood for lasting bitterness, which sometimes I am.

M - nice and smooth carb, not too sticky.

D - one large bottle will do just fine. Maybe more if I was eating something that the lasting bitterness would go well with. Not particularly interesting, and new things don't catch my interest as it warms.

11-12-2009 01:35:24 | More by HeroJH
joepais

Maine

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Shared this brew with friends and poured it into snifters. There was a good amount of white fluffy head sitting on top of an clear yellow bodied brew. Nose wise you get your typical IPA hop aroma but nothing what I expect from a west coast fresh hop ale. Taste wise I can say the same thing I was left looking for more hops in this brew. The mouthfeel was good for the style but, overall the whole package was not what I was looking for from this brew.

04-15-2011 15:48:32 | More by joepais
KickInTheChalice

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: My pour has a hazy pale straw color, with a rocky white head that eventually fades to a thin film, but leaves some chunks of lace down the glass.

Smell: The aroma is pretty flat bitterness with just a hint of light malt behind it. A bit of pine and spruce provide the only real character.

Taste: There is almost no sweetness to the small malt presence. Light and biscuity, it gets out of the way immediately yielding a very strong hop bitterness. Unfortunately, there is not much flavor; it is just a flat, lingering bitterness that sits on the tongue. A little bit of spicy pine is the only character I get out of the hops.

Mouthfeel: The hop residue never clears off the tongue after each sip. Either there is so much hop residue, or the carbonation just isn't full enough. The carbonation feels on the lighter side of medium. The feel has a soft grainy nature to it, with a lot of oily hop residue on the tongue. The body drinks on the light side.

Overall: This is one of the less enjoyable wet hop IPAs I have had. Kind of a disappointment from Port.

11-19-2011 03:34:19 | More by KickInTheChalice
hopsaplenty

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

22oz. brown bottle, no date information.

Hazy gold. Short, soapy, off white big bubbles cover the surface before receding to a frothy skim coat. A single band of thin lace rings the glass. A few sluggish carbonation streams eject small bubbles. Aromas of grapefruit, orange peel, crushed grapefruit flesh, and a little bit of biscuity malt are not overly pungent. Soft, watery grapefruit bitterness leads off and then finishes with more of the same plus a bit of orange rind. The grapefruit peel hangs around briefly. Low carbonation detracts from the mouthfeel and keeps the body thin. There is a musty staleness tucked into the back of the finish. There is little malt noticeable. This seems to lack snap and pop, and it could simply be that this reflects the year’s hop crop which reportedly was light on the alpha acids. This did not stand out in any way. Perhaps next year will be better. One bottle was plenty.

Big thanks to the AW from Oro Valley, AZ. You know who you are.

11-13-2006 13:25:49 | More by hopsaplenty
champ103

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Pours nearly clear, and kind of a macro like yellow color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Light lace is left behind.
S: Resinous pine and a big bitterness. I can not get much of anything else.
T: Again, big resinous pine. Like tree sap, and a huge bitterness that detracts for me. I can't pick out any other nuances.
M/D: A medium to full body that is really thick and syrupy. To much for my tastes, and for the style IMO. A big bitterness and a really thick body makes this harder to drink than I would like.

A typical American IPA as far as I am concerned. Hop heads that like big pine and syrupy notes will love this. A bit to much for me to enjoy though.

11-23-2010 05:16:04 | More by champ103
csmiley

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Pours gold with some cloudiness. The eggshell colored head looked to be decent and stuck around for a couple minutes. Lacing is spotty but still acceeptable. Looks good in my book.

S - Tangerine and grapefruit are first to hit the nose with a touch of orange peel that quickly follows. Some pine notes are present as well. Alcohol is not really evident in the aroma at all. There is an additional aroma that really just throws this beer way off course. Seems to be a cross between cooked peas and brussel sprouts.

T - A dose of citrus made up of grapefruit and some orange is up front. Some earthy notes like pine and autumn leaves come through about midway. Hints of honey and alcohol finish it off. Vegetal (cooked pea) flavor is there but not as strong as in the aroma.

M - Medium bodied with a carbonation level that is just right for this beer. Finish is straight up bitter and dry. Bitterness hangs on to the palate for a little while.

D - Drinkability is good. Alcohol is almost imperceptible in this beer, which makes it that much easier to drink. The standard IPA characteristics are present and keeps everything true to style. That being said, this is a beer that just doesn't work well for me. Could be the brussel sprouts in the aroma. Could be the peas in the flavor. It's not bad but really not good either. I would not seek this beer out again.

11-08-2008 21:09:39 | More by csmiley
AWolfAtTheDoor

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a slightly cloudy yellow color into my pint glass. Almost looks like a wheat beer, but slightly cloudy. Major points for here for the beautiful foamy head that's taking its sweet time to dissipate. Very nice lacing at the beginning of the session for the first couple of sips. My truly amazing two finger head resided to a respectable 1cm throughout the session.

I guess it's your typical centennial and simcoe smell, and subdued at that. But subdued is the name of the game with this beer. With my schnoz fully into my pint glass, I can detect the faintest hint of grapefruit, grass and little else.

The bomber came straight out of my beer fridge which is kept at optimum temperature. Where is the flavor? Initial taste reveals almost nothing. It's only after the beer is well down into my esophagus that I get a sour grassy taste.. and that is about it. The sourness lingers and stays sour, and just plain unpalatable. I'll come back to this later as the beer warms.

Medium-light carbonation on this beer. Light mouthfeel, but I wish the sour taste would hurry up and move on.

Drinkable? I live about 15 minutes from Pizza Port and love supporting them any chance I get, but I probably won't be having this again out of the bottle. I really haven't had much luck with their bottled beers. On tap, they are extraordinary though. I will look for this on tap, but won't be picking up an other bottle. There are MUCH better fresh hop or wet hop IPAs out there (i.e. Sierra Nevada's!)

Final though: through my experience with pales and IPAs, I'm guessing that this beer was past its prime. Pity really.

10-24-2010 06:41:49 | More by AWolfAtTheDoor
Grabbin2nd

3.25/5  rDev -20%

From Notes 11/10/08 22 oz. Bomber 6.5% abv.

Appearance= vigorous pour yielded a very small white headm which quickly dissipated.
Smell= Hops, nice smelling beer
Taste= Alcohol is present even @ 6.5%, pine, grass, resiny
Mouth feel= resiny tartness leaves mouth dry, bitter. Beer feels slick in mouth, full.
Drinkability= Overall I think this should be more like a DIPA. I really taste all the 6.5% which usually isn't that high for me. Very bitter beer, yet too much I think. Out of balance on the finish....I had high expectations for this beer. I want to revisit it though. I love Pizza Port...

Update: Shoved another bomber in the closet to sit a little (hoping for something). Pulled it out and had it with some homies. What a great beer. Very fresh and tasty hop affair. Don't know what the hell happened between my first review and my second sampling, but something did. I'm not changing my score though.

01-17-2009 03:34:45 | More by Grabbin2nd