High Tide Fresh Hop IPA - Port Brewing

High Tide Fresh Hop IPAHigh Tide Fresh Hop IPA

Port Brewing visit their website

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 10-29-2006)

Appearance: As soon as I uncapped the beer, it sprayed all over me, despite the fact that it had been sitting undisturbed in my cold fridge for two days. Nice color, but the beer all over my face and kitchen did not look great.

Smell: Dry hopped sourness.

Taste/mouthfeel: Like overcarbonated soda water with simcoe and amarillo.

I emailed the Port Brewing via the "contact us" link on their website and didn't get a response after 7 days. If I got a response offering to make amends, I would have reviewed that beer, but alas, I only had this contaminated foam bomb to write about.

Port needs to learn how to carbonate their beers.

1.32/5  rDev -67.5%

1.7/5  rDev -58.1%

Last time I had this beer I loved it going into this review expecting to love the beer

A: bright orange off white head with a sponge type of bubbles

S: searching for a smell here what the fuck??? fresh hop IPA?? I am not getting anything

T: a slight more hoppy taste but it tastes anything but fresh

M: how can I like this bad beer in my mouth I dont waste of cash it cost 7 bucks what a waste of money

D: I can only think of one IPA I ever drank worse then this its shit

Overall: I hated it

1.8/5  rDev -55.7%

2.38/5  rDev -41.4%

Bought this one a few weeks ago, and very likely has some age on it since Ba says it is brewed in the fall. No date on the bottle.

Appearance is a deep, hazy yellow with a thin white head. Lots of bubbles suggest it is highly carbonated. Lacing clings well. Nose was immediately apparent as soon as the bottle was opened. Smells like a lager, and a macro at that.

Hops have apparently long since faded on this one. Carbonation level is very high, and provide the only zip across the tongue in this hopless bottle.

I may finish this one, but won't buy again unless and until the bottle has a date or I have some assurance it is fresh.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

2.6/5  rDev -36%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California a few hours ago and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz. I'm drinking it as fresh as I possibly can. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery. 6.5% confirmed. No best before date.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with hard pretzels from Trader Joe's.

A: Pours almost entirely head. Beige with nice cream and thickness. Excellent retention. Body colour is a cloudy nontransparent non-opaque pale dull yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Generally appealing for the style.

Sm: Clean floral hops dominate. Very light, pleasant, and understated. Clean malts. Nectar. It's nice not getting beaten over the head with hop bitterness. Let's hope that carries into the flavour as well. A subtle, light aroma. Appealing and atypical.

T: Clean malt foundation with fresh floral hops atop it. Some hop bitterness on the climax, but only a pleasant surge thereof. Clean and floral all around, with no complex pine or oily character or grapefruit or citrus or any of that murky mess that often makes it into IPAs unwelcomed. A clean, refreshing, fresh floral IPA. The hop bitterness is bothersome, but all around it's relatively well balanced. Not complex or subtle, but pleasant to drink.

Mf: Light, wet, and smooth. Carbonation is off; seemingly flat but the head is ridiculous at the same time. Too thin. Meh.

Dr: Hop 15 is a far far better IPA from Port, but this is passable. Far overpriced. I almost wish I'd aged it to mellow out the bitterness a bit. Any IPA fan will like this, but few will love it. I certainly don't. I might try it again on draught. I expect far better from Port.

C-

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance: Pours a bright, clear yellow body with a white head.

Smell: A spicy, floral aroma with notes of juicy pineapple and watered down honey.

Taste: Thin, fleeting cereal sweetness with the taste of pears before the jarring bitterness and heavy acidity of the long, unpleasant finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Harsh and uninteresting.

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Paid $6.99 for a bomber from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Poured into a large snifter to review.

Upon cracking this, some white foam spilled slowly over the top of the bomber. A gentle pour leads to a half inch of feathery white head that retains nicely. Beer is opaque from cloudiness and a light golden orange color. Nice lacing.

Nose is quite floral and dank with pine and grapefruit dominating. The bottle indicates fresh centennial and simcoe flowers were added, hence the fresh hop name. The sticky, piney aromas indicate the heavy use of simcoe hops in the brewing process. Certainly hop forward and pleasing to the nose, especially large for a single IPA. As it warms, a slight creaminess also comes into play.

Rarely do my taste and smell ratings for an individual beer vary greatly, but in this one, I feel the taste is just average. The hops seem to become much more one dimensional in taste with bittering citrus aromas dominating. The taste is also a bit of a letdown in part due to the mouthfeel which to me is overcarbonated and too crisp.

The beer is medium bodied and has a medium citrus hop finish.

The price is quite steep and the ABV is relatively low, especially for beers of that price. Don't think I'll be getting this one again.

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy straw yellow with an inch of white head that had very good retention and very low lacing.

A solidly hoppy aroma greets the nose, without much malt in the foundation. The taste was overwhelmingly bitter, mostly citrus hops, and not the pleasant kind of bitter. There were no malt flavors showing through.

The body was thin, even by modern IPA standards. Drinkability was typical for a bitter hop bomb. Overall, kind of a one-trick pony. Not terrible, but not worth seeking out either.

2.76/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

just a lot of foam on the soft pour.... tried my best to keep it down, interrupting and pouring, etc.... light, billow-y..... slap-stick-y foam to the side of the glass..... I don't like that kind of stuff.
smells skunky in the bottle, urine/skunk in the glass,,,,, wondering what to think of this before I step in . . . . . very little carbonation. some bitterness; like someone else said- "gentler" than their others.... alright, I guess.... shoulda gone with the grapefruit sculpin 12 oz'er instead of this bomber.... gawd I hate bombers when it's not a great brew..... why don't they listen??
I guess it's alright. I mean I havent poured it down the drain yet. just gulping it to finish it and move on to the next one. not really enjoyable, but tolerable. did they forget to clean the vat out after making the Chronic????

2.8/5  rDev -31%

A- almost looks like a macro sitting in my glass. not much head, just some spotting on the surface.

S- clean, but reserved, hoppiness without much else.

T- hoppy flavor but nothing extraordinary. thinking this bottle is past its prime and probably had a pretty short shelf life to start with.

M- thin with not enough carbonation

D- need to try this fresh and hopefully revise this review.

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

A: Light golden yellow with a thin to non-existent head. Poured crystal clear at first, and then hazed as the dregs made their way into the glass.

S: Crisp citrus aroma - definitely picked up the Centennial aromas. No malt aroma present.

T: Immediate bitter blast. No malt backbone, just solid bitter hops and at that they were very grassy and harsh.

M: Thin mouthfeel with low carbonation.

D: The bitter hops and thin mouthfeel led this to be a difficult beer to get through. I feel like this was one of those beers they just crammed a lot of hops in and didn't take as much care in the malt department - although I suppose I am an East Coast hoppy beer lover (i.e. enjoys a strong malt backbone).

Bottle: Poured a cloudy beige color ale with a small bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of medium citrus and bitter hops is somewhat less intense then I would have hoped. Taste is dominated by medium bitter and citrus hops with a lack of malt to balance the beer together. Body is pretty full with limited filtration with some low carbonation. I am not sure if I did get a bad bottle but I was not overly impressed by this one.

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

Drank from a 1 pint 6fl. oz. bottle
Served in a pint glass

Thanks to fumner for including this as an extra in our trade.

The beer poured a slightly hazed, straw yellow color with a tight, fluffy, bright white, one-finger head that slowly faded to a resilient frothy film. A bit of the yeast sediment from the bottle slipped into the liquid, clouding it even further. Thin streaks of lacing trickled down the glass.

The aroma was pleasant yet somewhat subdued. Hoppy with a notable biscuity malt presence. Citrus (orange zest), lemon peel and touch of yellow grapefruit were all apparent in the hop profile. Subtle tropical fruit notes came through as well.

The taste was simply an onslaught of pithy, bitter hops. Grapefruit rind and pine sap dominated. Sticky and resiny. Sharp and somewhat acidic. The lingering finish was incredibly dry and bitter. It reminded me of chewing on pine needles.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin for the style with an above average amount of carbonation. At times, the liquid felt almost airy on my tongue.

Drinkability was somewhat poor. I usually love hoppy beers but this one lacked any semblance of balance. The ultra dry, bitter and piney nature of this hop monster was simply overbearing.

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Nice Californian IPA, pretty hoppy. I might not buy it again though. I would try it on tap though, as I suspect this might just be a freshness issue? If I get local and on tap, I'll review again.

A - Good head and lacing. Pale yellow color.

S - some nice hop smell, citrus oil. But overall pretty one dimensional. Not interesting.

T - a bit more bitter on the front and end than flavorful. A bit tart. The finish is just plain bitter. It's not bad, if you're in the mood for lasting bitterness, which sometimes I am.

M - nice and smooth carb, not too sticky.

D - one large bottle will do just fine. Maybe more if I was eating something that the lasting bitterness would go well with. Not particularly interesting, and new things don't catch my interest as it warms.

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Shared this brew with friends and poured it into snifters. There was a good amount of white fluffy head sitting on top of an clear yellow bodied brew. Nose wise you get your typical IPA hop aroma but nothing what I expect from a west coast fresh hop ale. Taste wise I can say the same thing I was left looking for more hops in this brew. The mouthfeel was good for the style but, overall the whole package was not what I was looking for from this brew.

High Tide Fresh Hop IPA from Port Brewing