Older Viscosity - Port Brewing

Older ViscosityOlder Viscosity

Port Brewing visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Imperial Stout aged for 12 months in new bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 12-03-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
KJH

Washington

1.38/5  rDev -68.3%

I love Port Brewing's beers but this was a dud.

It did pour like used motor oil - dark and still. No carbonation whatsoever.

The oak/bourbon aroma was very evident immediately after pouting and it overwhelmed the taste buds upon sipping. In fact I could not get beyond the bourbon flavors. When the bourbon eventually faded I was only left with some hot alcohol flavors.

Overall I did not find the beer to be drinkable. I have trouble saying tha tthe bottle was mis-handled but something was not right.

02-08-2010 04:56:16 | More by KJH
Gtreid

1.93/5  rDev -55.6%

Got this one as an extra in a trade sometime last year, I cannot remember who sent it to me, but thanks to whoever did. 375 ml bottle poured into a CCB snifter. Review from notes. Vintage 2009.

A: Very dark brown color. A minimal head appears, then fades to nothing. No lace whatsoever.

A: Bourbon all the way here. I can make out some faint dark chocolate and sweet molasses, but the barrel aging overpowers the aroma.

T: Again the bourbon flavor dominates all. The charactaristics I find so appealing in most Imperial Stouts are no where to be found here. I beleive it has spent way to much time in the barrel.

M: This one was flat, no carbonation, oily mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is low, enough said. Overall, if I wanted whiskey, I would drink whiskey. This is way too much whiskey flavor in my beer. The base beer has potential, but I will not be seeking this one out again. Sorry to say, this one went down the drain. Skal.

07-17-2010 12:16:54 | More by Gtreid
tedho21

07-24-2012 00:43:43 | More by tedho21
Em30

03-20-2013 00:18:46 | More by Em30
charlesw

2.4/5  rDev -44.8%

Beautiful bottle. Way too much carbonation - the cage was just holding the cork. KAPOW! Uh oh. Poured 1 1/2" into my snifter and got 2" of huge head. Uh oh. Nice and dark. Dark head. Lasting lace.

Smells like sweet smoky coffee. Lightly of sweet smoky coffee.

The huge carbonation does seem to balance out the very high sweetness. This is quite unlike any other big beer I've had. Tastes like they've thrown in some sour notes on purpose. You know - given it a little zip. Like old ales should have, I guess. I get some of the bourbon, I guess, but that sharp sour note is just killing me. It's really too bad, too. I mean, it's got a beautiful bottle, you know? There's some milk chocolate and a little coffee in there, too, but, bleh. Sour bitterness. Bleh.

I'll either dump this or blend it with an english barleywine or maybe some scotch. As in, either kick up the mouthfeel and sweetness or knock it down and make it a little smoky.

2008 vintage.

Edit: with the english barleywine... It was absolutely amazing. Alas, it is still rated for what it is - and that's not god. But with the ebw...

04-18-2009 19:57:45 | More by charlesw
DavoleBomb

2.45/5  rDev -43.7%

Poured into a snifter. Thanks to nickd717 for this a long time ago. 2009 vintage (yeah, that one).

We all know the legend of Flat Abbey and now it's my turn to participate in its uncarbonated history.

I thought I knew right away that this too would be uncarbonated, even after the two year incubation in the cellar, but...

2.0 A: ...a touch of carbonation had presented itself. But don't worry, your bottle isn't going to be the way it should be. By a touch I mean that even with a semi-aggressive pour, I managed only about 1/16 inch of head that was quickly pulled back into the black colored abyss. Also of note, a chunk of some sort of sludge fell into the glass about 3/4 into the pour. Images of Triple Bock plopped into my head as the sludge cake plopped into the glass.

4.5 S: I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed. This smells great and has plenty of power even without the aid of the carbonation to traffic aroma molecules to the surface. Bourbon is by far the strongest aroma. Leather, melon, vanilla, oak are all there in pleasant proportions. There's just a touch of underlying roastiness and some sweet caramel to enhance. I usually don't appreciate bourbon forward smells, but this is in perfect proportion and is hard not to enjoy.

2.0 T: For the taste, I'm not thoroughly impressed and indeed not impressed at all. The lack of carbonation took what would have been an okay beer and turned it into overly sugary and boozy watered down dram of bourbon. The bourbon blocks out everything except for the caramel sweetness and the priming sugar. This is just too damn sweet (but not cloying) and the only thing balancing it is astringent bourbon booziness. Lots of leather and vanilla with just a hint of the beer underneath. I like bourbon barreled beers, but prefer the bourbon to complement rather than dominate.

1.5 M: Heavier medium body. By this point I shouldn't have to tell anyone what the carbonation is like. It's not exactly zero carbonation, but it's 98% reduced from what I would want. Not particularly smooth due to the bourbon overload either.

2.0 D: Damn good nose that almost made the bottle a good experience by itself. However, nothing else is up to par. The lack of carbonation made a shitty appearance, a shitty mouthfeel, and a shitty taste. I had hoped that the time in the cellar would have improved this aspect, but alas it did not. I damn near love Old Viscosity, but it was hard to find any of it in the nose or the taste. The bourbon was too powerful to allow that to occur. Tomme should be ashamed of himself for releasing this to the public, especially given the gaudy price. I should also note that I absolutely loved Triple Bock. It was so unthinkably complex and the flavors meshed well together. This doesn't have that same kind of complexity or quality to warrant a good score in spite of being flat.

02-23-2011 05:53:16 | More by DavoleBomb
Murchmac

2.48/5  rDev -43%

2009 it says on the bottle.

The pop out of the cork was like a hot dog being thrown down a hallway. No pop, no head, poured like water, but a very dark black with some brown highlights. Lacing around the edge of the glass like its got legs.

Got some bourbon, some heat smell, some roasty toasty dark choc o latte.

First taste of mixed bourbon and hot chocolate, then a lingering bourbon aftertaste. That stinging feeling is not carbonation but alcohol.

Good beer on tap I can only imagine, for 12 bucks, buy something else. Close, but no lumps...

08-08-2009 04:38:14 | More by Murchmac
BlackWednesday

2.5/5  rDev -42.5%

375 ml bottle; 2008 vintage via Sinner’s Club; thin jet black with fluffy dark brown head fading slowly; intense nose of chocolate cake, oak, bourbon and candy apples; texture is thin and a little oily on the teeth and glass; decadent roast with creamy bourbon, chocolate; level of bourbon is just about perfect to me as it complements rather than dominates; Old Viscosity itself is a rich, decedent brew and this just ups the ante; chocolate and dark fruits with honey, oatmeal and vanilla; very nice

07-16-2011 07:06:51 | More by BlackWednesday
rflips86

2.5/5  rDev -42.5%

04-26-2014 01:09:02 | More by rflips86
Arbitrator

2.7/5  rDev -37.9%

2009 vintage into a glass. Generously shared as part of a vertical by largadeer. Thanks Chris.

First, I should comment that the 07 was absolutely delicious: an A or A+ beer, with perfect carbonation and a wonderful, mellow flavor. The 08 was stronger in flavor, but had a dryness to the finish that was a bit off-putting; it was also high in carbonation. An A- beer.

The 09, by contrast, was totally flat. We force-carbed it and served it, and that's what I am reviewing here.

A: Pours a pitch brown in the glass with slight lightening to ruby at the edges. The head is a small 1/4-finger swirl of light tan bubbles on top of the brew; retention is short, and the head retreats into a thin collar quickly. No lacing. The beer is very viscous (har!) and leaves thick legs when I swish it in the glass. Note: if we hadn't force-carbed it, this would be a 3.

S: Bourbon-barrel tootsie roll. Lots and lots of bourbon, oak, chocolate / fudge, vanilla, plums, molasses, and earthiness that reminds me of cigars. Huge boozy smell to it as well. Could use some balance and less ethanol.

T: Again, hits everything in the nose. But I'm surprised by how bourbon-dominated it is in the context of the rest of the vertical; the other batches have a better balance, with the 07 just being smooth and well-integrated. This is hot, harsh, and very much screams "young." But it's hugely complex, and it shows a lot of potential to go places in the future.

M: Full-bodied and viscous. Obviously, with the force carbonation it was properly carbed; we may even have overshot it a bit. It went down just fine, but it left a noticeable booze sting the entire time. Note: if we hadn't force-carbed it, this would be a 2 at the most.

D: As I remarked during the tasting, the vintages of this beer are pretty much trending downward (07 was best, 09 was worst). This is not worth what they are charging for it.

11-02-2009 20:14:36 | More by Arbitrator
AdmiralDiaz

2.88/5  rDev -33.8%

Had this beer Super Bowl Sunday, I'd been saving it for a couple month's for this occasion. It poured not even a black, but a dark brown, kind of grayish body with absolutely no head whatsoever, I even gave it a big aggressive pour at the end and still couldn't get anything. The smell is mostly a bourbony alcohol with some hints of maltiness and chocolate powder. The taste is about the same, I actually find it pretty bland. It's a slightly complex but dull stout covered in oak barrel. Mouthfeel is not as thick as the bottle's copy would have you believe, in fact it was nothing compared to say, Souther Tier's Choklat. Drinkability is alright, but a bottle was all I wanted...I'm very let down by this beer. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle. :(

02-15-2010 18:13:17 | More by AdmiralDiaz
champ103

2.9/5  rDev -33.3%

A: Pours a viscous opaque black color. A small bubbly tan head forms. Some lace is left behind.
S: Burnt chocolate malt. Boozy whiskey and vanilla. Dark fruits of raisins and plums. Kind of vinegary. Lots of alcohol.
T: Burnt malt again with some smoke. Powdered chocolate and vanilla. Moldy dry wood. Tons of boozy, whiskey, alcohol. Some dark fruits again.
M/D: Sticky, syrupy, and way under carbonated. Dead and lifeless. Like I said above, tons of whiskey and alcohol. This is hard to sip on. I am glad I had a bunch of friends to share this with.

This is not for me. I did not enjoy this very much. There are many other Impy Stouts that I enjoy, and ones that I can find locally at that.

11-10-2009 21:42:49 | More by champ103

12-23-2011 23:48:32 | More by jophish17
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.08/5  rDev -29.2%

Huge thanks to Adam for cracking this one.

2010 release so rumor has it there's some bubbles in this one.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is pitch black. Over used motor oil comes to mind. No head no lace. FUUUUCCCCKKK!!! Calm down it's just the apperance. I will wait to reserve judgment for the taste portion.

The aroma is pretty much where most double stouts lie. Chocolate, coffee, sweet sugary malt.

The flavor is about the same loads of coffee and chocolate. Sweet with touches of dark fruit.

Body oh sweet body. We have carbonation. YESSSS! Thick chewy and lightly carbonated.

Overall glad I got the chance to try this one in the way the brewery intended it. A tasty double stout.

Update: 2/17/11 Bottle from 2009 Batch

Points must be deducted for mouthfeel and drinkability. Beer is flat as tap water and very hard to drink. Everything else seems similar to the carbonated bottle.

08-19-2010 01:06:05 | More by beerwolf77
jjanega08

3.15/5  rDev -27.6%

2009 Vintage

A= Pours a flat black color in the glass and a dark brown color coming from the bottle. Totally flat with no head.

S= The bourbon barrel character is much more dominate in this beer than the old viscosity. A nice vanilla oak and bourbon character with a bit of roast to sort of support the barrels.

T= The flavor reflects the nose with a much more dominate barrel character than the original version. Nice bourbon and oak character with a decent amount of vanilla and roast.

M= Flat as a board and even so not as thick as I expected.

O= Flat beer from a professional brewery is inexcusable. This is an avoidable beer if you ever see it. The flavors are good and I actually think despite being flat it is more enjoyable than the original version but hey.... it's flat.

05-19-2012 05:02:16 | More by jjanega08
Cavery

3.2/5  rDev -26.4%

Review from notes, shared with Klym this past weekend.

Poured into Stone Nonic.

A: Really quite flat in appearance. Classic quill pen ink, no head formation at all, even with a violent pour. Though this isn't uncharacteristic for bigger stouts.

S: Cinnamon bourbon and nutmeg jump at the nose. Slightly tart craisins, wet bourbon bite that goes into potent cherries and old fruit cake. This is a bit perplexing, kind of smells like something I wouldn't want to pull out of the fridge.

T: Tastes like alcohol sweet bread pudding. Alcohol rocks your socks, while spices fight a losing battle. The cinnamon and molasses create a lightly swirling flavor that only slightly relieves the booziness. A slightly drier finish saves the alcohol from being completely palette numbing.

M: A very flat beer. Even for barrel aging, this feels like a shot. the mouth is even a bit thin. Holding this too long in your mouth will cause nerve damage, you've been warned. A disappointing mouth experience where any sense of carbonation is trumped by an alcohol fire.

O: This beer can simply be explained as too hot. The alcohol bleeds into every aspect of this beer. I had to really pull back in order to focus on the separate categories, it wasn't easy. Even then the alcohol factor couldn't be avoided. All in all a lack of balance is the undoing of grandpa viscosity.

06-22-2011 01:52:18 | More by Cavery
muttyd

3.2/5  rDev -26.4%

2009 Bottle.

A - Pours completely FLAT into an oversized wine glass. Sticks all over the glass.

S - Deep, deep chocolate, cherry liqueur, vanilla, and the dreaded soy sauce aroma. Smells very hot. Very, very hot.

T - Hot! Man, this beer is massive. Deep roasted backbone with an almost cloyingly sweet & alcoholic caramel/chocolate sweetness. Warming sensation going down. I gave this a 3.5 because I sort of know going into this beer that it was going to be a high ABV, alcoholic stout. However, I think Port could have done a better job to make the flavors work.

M - Probably the highlight of the beer. Low carbonation with a nice chewy mouth feel. I feel as though I should be eating this with a knife and fork. Very thick!

D - I wish I had split this bottle with a friend (or two). Not sure if I'm going to be able to finish the whole thing. Definitely a sipper.

06-26-2010 03:13:45 | More by muttyd