Older Viscosity - Port Brewing

Older ViscosityOlder Viscosity

Port Brewing visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Imperial Stout aged for 12 months in new bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 12-03-2006)
4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a tulip. I did an agressive right down the middle pour for this one. Just a thin layer of dark mocha foam that vansishes almost immediatley. This has a big black thick looking oily body. Quite the booze bomb on this. It's mostly kind of hot alcohol to the nose with just a background of licorice and mollasses with oaky notes. Smells pleasant, but I"m not usually down with boozey noses. The taste is dark like semi sweet dark chocolate with a sweet mollasses and licorice. It finishes with a roasty dark fruit flavor. The mouthfeel is great, it's smooth and full with good subtle carbonation. It drinks nicely, but this is clearly very boozey. It's great and well hidden to the pallet and only slightly noticeable on the finish, but this is still one I"m glad I shared.

Bendurgin, Jan 10, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Since my last beer was a drain pour, and this is my 400th review, I figured I owed it to myself to have something a little more exciting. Picked this up in Boston a few months ago.

I'm running out of ways to describe incredibly dark black beers. I knew my mental thesaurus was spent last night when I resorted to calling a beer "liquid Darth Vader". This is much of the same. An impenetrable black with respectable lacing and retention.

The aroma is sweet licorice and melted baker's chocolate and bourbon, brown sugar and toffee and dates, very rich and enticing with some warming alcohol.

The taste is much the same, creamy milk chocolate and licorice and bourbon and wow. There's vanilla and some nuttiness and toffee, maybe a little rum raisin ice cream, there's so much going on and it all works. Very full flavoured. Alcohol lingers and warms in the aftertaste.

Medium bodied and creamy with a but of alcohol warmth.

What a fantastic display of the brewer's art. Definitely a contemplative sipper, perfect for a cold and snowy January night.

MeisterBurger, Jan 09, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle purchased from City Beer in San Francisco. It was a bit expensive ($17), but I've wanted to try this beer, so I hoped it would be worth it for a one time purchase. Pours pitch black with thick brown head. Nice head retention, as the head settles down to a solid ring on top of the beer. Basically a sheet of lacing around the glass. Smells of bourbon, chocolate and roasted malt. Nice sweetness of the chocolate, with a lot of boozy bourbon in the aftertaste. Really smooth mouthfeel. An excellent stout.

kwjd, Jan 08, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this in trade with gumppette. Thanks, Christine!

Enjoyed on New Year's Eve 2011 with gwuilliums.

A: Very dark pour with good head formation and retention. Decent lacing as the drink progressed.

S: Exceptionally "bright" malty, RIS nose with monster wood overtones. For the darkness and depth of the malt aroma, it really does leap out of the glass. Very nice!

T: Tastes just like it smells. Deep RIS and lots of wood. Really enjoyable.

D: This really hides the 12% until it hits your esophagus! Very nice, indeed!!

Spica66, Jan 03, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Firestone Walker Snifter. 2010 bottle that I bought earlier this year.

Much like the original, It pours like motor oil. Black with a chocolate colored brown head, very thin head that just sits on the top.

The Aroma, bourbon, vanilla, with cocoa, roasted espresso, and brown sugar. The roasted malts are still there, but the alcohol is more obvious. Granted it is 2% stronger, and that shows.

On taste, sweet malts, coffee, bourbon notes, vanilla, caramel, molasses, & dark chocolate. The alcohol is a bit harsh fresh, but I also like strong beers, so it is not too distracting.

Mouth feel, is still viscous, but wood is present with the roasted malts on the finish. Heat is there all around.

Overall, now that Port/Lost Abbey's carbonation issues seems gone with this years version, it needs time to mellow. I'd recommend it be cellared two years at least. Fresh, I prefer the non-barrel aged version. It is still a a strong Imperial Stout, and a nice sipper, but while I enjoy the bourbon notes, it messed with the balance of the beer. Pricing is also high, at about $15 for this small bottle.

Retsinis, Dec 29, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap 6/8/10 at Local 44 in Philly.

A: Served in a large Chimay goblet. Shows up pitch black with very minimal tan/mocha head. Looks like an espresso.

S: Coffee, big roasted malts. Espresso and black coffee and some alcohol. Chocolate and cherries in here as well. Was interesting smelling this next to an Old Viscosity. Has a much more distinct wood aroma.

T: Huge beer. Huge flavor. Coffee, chocolate and booze. Dark fruits like cherries and plums. Big roasted quality, just a very nice Imp. Stout.

M: Giant on the palate, sticky and syrupy with a very substantial body.

D: Surprisingly easy to drink, carbonation is medium and there is only a bit of alcohol bite towards the end.

kiddynamite920, Dec 28, 2010

2008 Batch poured 12/10.

A-pours a dark black liquid that has a thick creamy dark tan head.

S-the nose has some wood barrel to it, light bourbon notes, hints of green olive, vanilla, some roasted malts, roasted charred coffee and hints of sweetness.

T-wood up front, notes of bourbon, light olive notes, strong roasted malts, hints of coffee, some light malt sweetness with dark plums and carmelized sugar.

M-full bodied, a little sloppy on the feel, creamy though, with a roasted crisp finish.

D-this has some balance, very roasty flavors with notes of chocolate and some malt sweetness in the back. nothing special but a decent brew.

cpetrone84, Dec 27, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Kaiser81 for sending me this bottle. 2010 vintage.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a brown head. Glad to see this batch was carbonated after hearing about other batches of Older Viscosity that had carbonation issues.

The aroma is bourbon, roasted malt and chocolate. The beer smells very inviting.

The flavor is better than the aroma and is very complex. I get a lot of oak, maple and vanilla, as well as a healthy does of chocolate and roasted malt. With all of these secondary flavors, I get a large amount of bourbon and some hot, warming alcohol.

Full, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

I love Old Viscosity and this beer was everything I hoped it would be. Excellent.

Mora2000, Dec 27, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

I popped open the cork easily and poured into a goblet. No bubbles or sign of carbonation did I see. It appears headless and black. I shook up my wine glass but still no signs of carbonation were seen. The appearance of this beer is below average.

It smells of smooth warming vanilla and oaky bourbon. There are notes of sweet chocolate, mild coffee, sweet nutty malts, and brown sugar. It has a nice strong smooth complex smell that is dominated by an excellent bourbon vanilla like smell.
It tastes of oak, vanilla, sweet bourbon, nutty roasted malts, mild chocolate and coffee and brown sugar. The bourbon vanilla flavor is the dominate force in this beer but it is smooth and it blends well with the other flavors of the beer. This is a very smooth bourbon stout that has a lot of flavors but they all complement each other nicely.

The mouth feel is not very good. There is a thick syrup texture to the stout but it is completely flat. I like my stouts with low carbonation but this literally has no carbonation. If there was just a little more carbonation to the beer it would be excellent.

The drinkability is ok. The flavor of the beer is very smooth and in result it is quite easy to drink. It is a sipper though. However the fact that it has no carbonation limits how much of this I would want to drink.

Overall, the flavor of this beer is excellent but this beer is flawed. The lack of any carbonation that this beer has resulted in a beer that had the potential to be excellent to be just ok. It sucks that lost abbey has quality control problems. I will not be buying this beer again as it is expensive and I do not want another flat bottle.

chumba526, Dec 26, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Poured a dark as night black with ruby brown highlights when held up to the light with absolutely no head and barely a hint of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: The bourbon definitely dominates the nose but has a pretty big booze aroma with caramel, roasty toasty character, oat grains, and mild chocolate notes; very complex.

T: the bourbon barrel along with the oak notes meshed real good with the brown sugar caramel flavors but had dark fruit, roasty, chocolate accents. It did have a touch of coffee in the background.

M: the brew was medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, slight fruity, boozy, oaky barrel, roasty, and silky finish.

D: it drank decent due to the high ABv and is definitely a sipper. Older viscosity is more complex all around fo sure.

Gobzilla, Dec 26, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 3/4/2010. 2009 bottle. Pours a dark brown with just a smidge of head. Aroma of bourbon, molasses, chocolate, vanilla, oak, nougat, maple syrup, coffee. Flavor seems a little less complex and more muddy in my mouth -- still plenty of bourbon with sweet malt, lots of syrupy molasses and vanilla. So overall, I guess I wasn't so impressed with it, although it is a lot better than lots of other bourbon barrel-aged beers.

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

2009 Bottle from the cellar, not going to get any more carbonated

A: Opens with a weak pop, as I feared. It's a damn dark beer just like the 2010. Dark bubbles settle around the edge of the glass but I couldn't agitate a head.

S: Amazing scent of dark fruits and molasses, with a chocolate and bourbon finish that smacks of a fine dessert.

T: Rich chocolate cake and bourbon filled dark chocolate. Some booze on the finish but it isn't hot. I love the barrel on this beer, not subtle but it is supportive of the heavy kilned grain bill.

M: It falls flat, quite literally here. Negligible carbonation damns this version and strips it of its promise. If it didn't taste so damn good, I'd dump it.

D: Obviously poor drinkability and a real shame after the newer batch. Avoid the 2009 and go for a different vintage if you want to seek this out.

Lazerlobe, Dec 22, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

08/10 vertical at By the Bottle in Vancouver, WA.

This review covers the 08 with notes about the 10.

appearance - dark and viscous, no head, brown/red notes on the subtle edges vs a whiter edge on the 10

smell - aromas of chocolate and vanilla followed by caramel malts, less rich and more of a burn on the 10

taste - vanilla, rich chocolate, oak and whiskey tones, some hops for bitterness, sweet chocolate and roasty malt notes and just the right amount of warmth; the 10 was noticeably more alcohol forward and less complex

mouthfeel - medium body, average carbonation, smooth and distinct, minor dry finish, the 10 was very similar but had less texture

drinkability - highly complex and enjoyable, rich and flavorful, truly a pleasure to drink, the 10 needed some time on it to cool down and evolve

djbreezy, Dec 20, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

2010 bottle from City Beer Store in SF, made the trip back in my suitcase. Been trying to hold off, but what the hell.

Pours a typical black, some brown in the light on the edge of the glass. Thin layer of carbonation slowly recedes. A couple swirls gives another thin layer. Looks good.

Smells are sweet vanilla oaky bourbon. Brown sugar mixing in well (maple syrup too?) I spent a lot of time just smelling this beer, more than other bourbon stouts in recent memory.

Tastes mingle really well. The interplay between the vanilla, wood, brown sugar, and bourbon is intoxicating. Bourbon prominent, but prominent within the context of the other flavors, doesn't overwhelm or burn. Mouthfeel a bit thinner than expected, but I'm tiring of gooey stouts, and it worked well with the flavors. Slides down the back of the tongue, not sticking, just leaving clean tracks. Nice.

I liked it pretty fresh, and would drink it that way in the future. It's just going to get thicker and the sharp interplay between the flavors would likely start to fade as time went on.

Hard to justify 15+ for a 12oz bottle, however, even if it is this good. Quite frustrating it's not priced to compete with other bourbon stouts.

caskstrength, Dec 18, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

Trucked this bottle back from San Francisco. Cork and caged 12.7oz bottle, that mentions oak barrel aging on the label.

Very black brew with a small tan head, the appearance does the name justice.

The nose is a combination of sweet malt and molasses, the oak barrel comes through quite strong.

Taste is of dark malt, licorice, bourbon and a fair amount of alcohol.

Good medium mouthfeel.

This is a great sipper. The bourbon barrel is strong in this one, I enjoyed the very strong bourbon taste. This brew is fairly hot and would probably be better aged for a year or two. I only wished I had a couple more bottles for the cellar.

alpineclimber, Dec 18, 2010

Little cork and cager into a Snifter Glass

2009 Maltage

A- Pours like pure motor oil, black as black can beer in a beer. Small thin brown head on top that doesn't stick around much more than a few bubbles on the glass. Really nice alcohol feet on the side when you swirl it.

S- Really roasted dark malts with a nice sweet chocolate note behind it that's so inviting. Maybe some slight coffee in there as well but has a strong oak and bourbon to it as well.

T- Super creamy and thick dark malts with a nice strong coffee and chocolate flavor up front but after it goes down your swarmed with oak and bourbon with a nice sting of alcohol on the tongue.

M- Super thick full body, like syrup. Lower carbonation and slight bitter finish but not bad at all.

SkÅL!

Arenbeer, Dec 15, 2010

From notes taken at the Armsby Abbey on 11/13

*Note: This is a 2008 vintage*

A - Midnight oil black pour with a light tan head. Head slowly fades leaving a light halo along the glass.

S - Lots of chocolate and coffee as well as some bourbon notes. Not getting much of the oak notes though with this one.

T - Nice warming stout. Not much malts or hops or anything like that, but just pure flavour on this one. Quite delicious.

M - No carbonation on this. Feels like a heavy thick oily mess in my mouth that just coats it heavily. Would like even some faint carbonation with this.

D - Delicious aged stout. Pleased with only having to spend $12 on this experience.

rudzud, Dec 15, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours like oil with a medium almond colored head. Smells of sweet milky chocolate. Not too heavy - much lighter than other beers of the same pour and smell. Something a little weird in the taste. Overall I would definately order this at a bar. Not sure I would drink a lot of them but still a great beer.

BeerStine, Dec 14, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

I was able to purchase this 2009 release, on a trip down to the actual brewery in San Marcos, back in late-March 2010. Continued to properly cellar until now, on the brink of 2011.

Poured from its diminutive 12.7 ounce bottle into a snifter. Slight 'poof' upon uncorking but no smoke. Poured first half the bottle somewhat aggressive, but still no real head to speak of. Pure black, completely opaque. Thick and gorgeous looking.

Wow! Really aromatic. Smells heavenly even while cold. Oak right away, plus that familiar vanilla that comes with it. The nose is just so bold and exciting. No joke, I can tell I'm going to really enjoy it before it even crosses my lips. Dang it smells good! (P.S., as I nurse my few, final, warm sips, I am finally getting a little bit of chocolate in the nose.)

Impressive on the palate. Taste follows the nose, definite oak and vanilla but also a well-balanced sweet dark caramel. Interesting how far the roasted malt and chocolate flavors are in the background. They seem to play a distant supporting role to the oak. I wish I had tried this batch in '09 upon first release just to have a mental comparison with this cellared bottle. The 12% is very pleasant, very gentle at the end. (Just as with the nose, in my last few room-temp sips I'm also getting more of the chocolaty notes. Man this is a good brew.)

Great body. Mouth-feel is viscous, warm and dry. (I know 'mouth-feel vocabulary' comes from the wine world, so I'm not always sure if I'm using it correctly, but I mean to convey with all three of those words nothing but positive connotations.)

What else can I say, extremely tasty. A 'must try' for lovers of big and dark, bourbon barrel-aged brews. Actually feeling guilty now that I popped this without my lady, who loves exactly these types of brews, but I had no idea the OAK was going to be so center-staged.

One last thing, I think the reason I am so surprised by this brew is because I'm pretty sure I originally found out about it on BeerAdvocate (even though I live so close) which is awesome. But now that I've had it, I feel pretty confident in saying that I believe it's incorrectly categorized as an imperial stout. I feel confident in saying this because imperial stout is the one category that I'm not shy to say I know my $h!t. This delicious brew belongs more to the American Dark Strong Ale type style. Just nit-picking though, much love to THE BROS and all other BA members. Cheers!

JamesMcPolin, Dec 13, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

LA Cork and Caged 375mL Poured into a Balloon

So, just to set expectations right off the bat. For a Cork and Caged 375mL out of California, at a super $10 price-point ... you pretty much need to destroy the standard Russian River sours just to be worth the cost. At $14 for this bottle, we're in super Temptation range, and in fact the only bottle of this size I've dropped more on this year was Deliverance, from the same brewery ... and that beer ... also sets a very, very high bar.

L: Jet black with the tiniest bit of wispy cream head. Doesn't pour nearly as thick as the title would suggest.

S: Sweetness starts gently and then is wholly overwhelmed by whiskey, in the extreme. Tail is hyper-sweet with a lot of bourbon.

T: Similar to the smell, but a lot more booze. Maltiness with a touch of smoke and meal blends in with a towering sweetness. Bourbon is present throughout, almost overwhelmingly so.

F: Thick, but not thick enough, a lot under-carbonated (this is the 2010 bottling, not the 2009) to my taste.

D: Not bad, a sipper for sure and a bit heavy on the bourbon and off in the balance.

codewarrior, Dec 13, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from tap into a tasting tulip glass at TJs iin Paoli PA.

A: A deep dark black color that lets no light through. The think light brown head leaves nice lacing in the glass.

S: Bourbon and vanilla dominate the nose with some toffee, cream and slight wood smells.

T: Flavor follows the nose. The bourbon is there from taste one as it just jumps right out at you. It's followed by the mellower huge vanilla flavor coupled with some sweet cream flavors. A touch of cocoa and some slight woody tones give way to the sweetness. Sweetness is caramel, toffee and vanilla cream. The alcohol flavor creeps in on the finish but is very welcomed. Finish is very creamy and smooth...Wow.

M: Full, creamy, lasting, alcoholic and just overall satisfying.

Overall this is probably the best bourbon barrel aged beer that I have ever tried. I even said that in my bottle tasting and it is supported by my tap tasting. Such a kick ass beer, just outstanding. Wow.

Kadonny, Dec 09, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

Ive already gotten 3 of these this month but Im not complaining! Thanks to all the guys in the Birthday Club BIF as well as Prufrock.

A- Pours out pretty thick but it doesnt seem to live up to its name quite as much as I had hoped. The beer has a deep root beer color on the pour. The carbonation looks really low, as such there is hardly any head.

S- Quite a potent aroma of cappuccino, chocolate, dark figgy fruits, vanilla, brown sugar and a gentle spike of bourbon. Its pretty low key for a bourbon barreled stout which actually works really well here. Its rounded and smooth.

T- Keeping with the smoother, more mellow theme, this beer is strong on cappuccino, milk chocolate, vanilla and oak.

M- Very low carbonation makes for a super smooth beer that rolls off the tongue.

D- I really like this stuff. Im glad I have 2 more.

MbpBugeye, Dec 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

I had this on tap at Tj's Restaurant and Drinkery's 7th Anniversary.

A black opaque ale with thin medium tan cap and frothy appearance w/ tiny bead. The smell has sweet aromas of toffee and roasted scent with an almost immediate bourbon presence in the nose. The mild cocoa and caramel hint w/ light vanilla scent seems to outpace the mild coffee element. The feel is full, strong and rich with moderately high sweetness and viscosity, coating the palate with full-on alcohol and moderately carbonated the finish is sweet with mild roasted texture it is pretty viscous throughout.

The flavor is very good with strong toffee and caramel flavors with a vanilla note from the wood and big toasted flavor w/ cocoa and bourbon swirling about haphazardly. The slight coffee tinge is mild with toffee, caramel and mild creamy cocoa dominating and the bourbon only slightly adds to the dense, complex array of flavors. this is a slightly syrupy tasting with drenched malty quality, yet the concentrated wort effect is way more bourbon influenced as it warms w/ dark toast coming forward too. The drinkaibility is good as expected for the style and abv of this malt monster. The kind of beer you could enjoy for hours on a cold winter night by the fire, lots of complexity, almost too much, I am glad I got the chance to sip & enjoy this.

re-review at Al's of Hampden
a -4 s-4.5 m-4.5 t-4.5 d -4
Thanks to Al's of Hamden for putting this on
The color is deep cocoa with a short lasting tan cap with very tight bead is tight and lace collects like speckles on the glass. The clarity is very opaque. The smell has a strong vanilla element with light smoke and plenty of coconut and nutty candy odors with mild cocoa and smooth roasted scents. The feel is great with smooth as hell malt and rich with bourbon accents boozy with slight malt astringency and highly carbonated which lightens the feel from viscous with a semi dry finish

The taste is super tasty full and smooth with chocolately taste and light coconut and alcohol flavor with slight woody astringent and smoked element with prominent bourbon effect. bethany says " like an almond joy" I love the chocolaty finish eith bitter end whcih has plenty of tangy barrel notes and slight malty sweetness in the finish. The drinkability is wonderful -delicious and intense -12% makes it hard to have more than 1 in a sitting, but you really want that 1 - the smoothness and the quality are high, a trojan horse Barrel aged stout incredible how well it hides such high abv, heads and shoulders above Angel's share to me.

Slatetank, Dec 06, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -21.8%

Had a couple vintages of this, just recently the '08 vintage which is supposed to be the best. From a bottle, pours black with a mocha head. Charcoal, vanilla, oak, some bourbon in the nose. Not overly roasted, which I had remembered from other vintages. Flavor is some roasted coffee, vanilla, a bitter briney kind of quality, green olive. A lot of barrel in the flavor. Though the nose on this was decent, the flavor was weird and seriously lacking, quite bitter and astringent.

JAXSON, Dec 05, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at TJ's last night.

Jet black with a dense dark brown head, retention is great and lacing is moderate. . Nose is big chocolate,bourbon, some vanilla, a little coconut, plenty of heat. Pretty much what I remember it smelling like, and exactly what I wanted at. Palate opens plenty of bourbon, vanilla and heat. Chocolate, low roast, no licorice. Has that bourbon char that the better batches of Angels Share have, strong, boozy and moderately alcoholic. Charred oak flavors are present, but the tannin character is rather low. Moderately sweet, low in tannins, high bourbon character on the finish. Excellent, though a little difficult to drink, my one 12oz glass was plenty.

**Edit 15 Jan 2012**
2007 vintage that I received in a trade with udubdawg. Thank you, Michael.

The nose has mellowed out wonderfully, and gained a fruity acidic tinge, The coconut notes here have mellowed out, leaving just some bourbon and vanilla. The palate is sweet, moderately bourbony but just medium-low in booze character. Dark fruit, cocoa, chocolate, a fruity/berry character, particularly in its initial acidity, are all present. The oak has really been integrated into the flavor profile here. Silky smooth,this beer is astounding on the palate. One of the more positive cellaring experiences I've had. Excellent stuff. 4.25/4.5/4.75/4.5

DefenCorps, Dec 05, 2010