Shark Attack Double Red Ale - Port Brewing

Port Brewing visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Floydster on 03-07-2008

1.83/5  rDev -52.6%

Wife stuck this in my stocking for christmas, Looked great when poured. had a nice medium red color. The smell was average. It was all downhill from there and then down the drain. This is not the the most hoppy beer i've had but mighty close. The mouth feel was fine, but the bitter aftertaste stuck with me after my next beer. if your a hop lover go for it. Otherwise go to something more malty

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

Appearance - None to impressive on the pour. Color is a dark orange red with a sludge quality to it. Head was tan, but was very loose and chunky.

Smell - Not what I expected. Heavy deep malt with a dab of hops. Very unhoppy for a port beer, and I can't say that I like it.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Malt is smeared across the tongue. Very caramel and creamy and just not enough hops, which again is shocking for a port beer. Some citrus taste fades in before the swallow, but this is just way to damn heavy and sweet.

Drinkability - I'll pass on this one in favor of a great red ale, Brian Boru from Three Floyds. Too chewy and heavy, with a barleywine like feel to it for me. Oh well, can't win em all.

2.76/5  rDev -28.5%

Bottle. Poured a dark reddish brown with a smallish off white head. Smelled extremely malty and caramel with slight hoppy notes. Tasted extremely malty, earthy with citrus and hop notes. I guess when I saw the label, I expected it to be a red similar to Oskar Blue's Gordon, considering it was overly malty and not hoppy like I expected, I did not enjoy it and will probably not be drinking it again.

2.79/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a cloudy amber red color into my pint glass. About four fingers of orangish head rests above the amber. Smell consists of lots of caramel and malt. Mouthfeel starts pretty creamy and smooth and then ends with a bite. Alcohol taste and burn in the back of the throat. Not a fan of this in the least. A malt bomb with a booze finish. Poor attempt.

2.81/5  rDev -27.2%

GLASS: Great Divide Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Nice clear, ruby/copper color liquid. Two-fingers of fluffy, light tan foam. Retention is very good. Lacing creates a sticky ring, all the way around the glass.

Piney, floral hops hit me hard. Light hint of caramel malts. That's about all that I get.

A kiss of sweet malts, which is then pummeled by a fist of citrus hop flavor. Bitter, bitter hop flavor.
No sir, I don't like it. Way too far out of balance, for me.

Strong medium body, with a nice amount of creaminess. Good carbonation level.

If you're a hophead, it deserves a shot. If not, stay away.
It's not for me.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a dark ruby with a bright reddish hue. Thumbs width khaki head that eventually dissolves and okay lacing. Aroma of toffee, some fruit, and alcohol. I dislike tasting the alcohol in this style beer and the alcohol is very present with each sip of this one alongside the toffee from the malt and some indistinct fruit. Some carbonation to the moutfeel, medium bodied. Overall, I was disappointed in this one. Way way too heavy on the alcohol presence and not enough other flavors to remedy that in any way. I did not make it through this bottle.

2.88/5  rDev -25.4%

Review from notes taken on 6/13/10.

On tap at Monk's Cafe. Self described as an imperial/double red. The first thing I think of is Nugget Nectar and this brew is nothing like it, so onward with what it actually is.

Pours a hazed amber brown color with a finger of creamy head that is slightly tanned. The lacing hangs all over the glassware in a seemingly solid curtain. The aroma is sweet and floral with indications of citrus fruitiness and just all together very sweet smelling. Taste is super malty sweet, way more than I expected despite the warning from the aroma. Flavors of golden raisins immediately come to mind as well as pear and apple skins. Outside the sweet malt character is a solvent alcohol presence and bittering hops that taste both grassy and herbal. This brew has a medium to heavy feel with a mild level of carbonation. As it warms the taste takes on another level of sugary sweetness but this time from a darker more caramel-like flavor.

Overall the brew really threw me for a loop, I just didn't enjoy all the different fruity malt (and possibly yeasty) sweetness this brew had. I couldn't finish my glass and wouldn't try this again.

2.94/5  rDev -23.8%

Draft at The Pour House in Westmont, NJ.

Pours a very hazy, dark golden orange color with a 1.5 finger off white head that slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring.  Chunks of soapy lacing left behind.

Slightly spicy hop aroma with earthy, floral notes, dry pine and a strong malt presence.  Lots of carmel, toffee and dark fruit.  Kind of bland with the strong malt character overshadowing the hops.

Fuller bodied than expected with a blast of dry, sticky hops that linger over the sweet malt backbone into a bone dry finish.  Very earthy and bitter with lots of dank pine needle flavor.  Hop profile is one dimensional and is countered by way too strong of a malt backbone. Sweet caramel, toffee and dark fruit notes as well as some zesty, peppery spice.  Some alcohol heat in the finish but abv relatively well masked.  The hop profile is one dimensional and theres too much malt for my preference.

3.02/5  rDev -21.8%

Shared with some friends. Poured out of 22oz bomber and into a small snifter.

This bottle sat for a couple of hours in the fridge before we poured it and yeast particles were swirling all around - not too sure what that was all about. The color was off with all the yeast but it was a dark brownish red with some beige yeast highlights.

Smell was good, nice and malty with some piney notes thrown into the mix.

Taste put this beer at the bottom of my list. Malty/sweet with piney hops that didn't balance right. It finished off with a lot of heat from the alcohol. Felt thick on the tongue and spicy from the alcohol.

I really didn't like this brew. The balance was way off.

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Biere du Boucanier tulip glass. I have had this in my beer cabinet for a couple of months prior to drinking.
Hazy rusty brown color with almost no head that quickly receeds to a patchy slick almost spotty.
Smells like piney hops and some malt sweetness.
Taste has more hop presence than the smell would have hinted. Very bracing. As it warms more caramel flavor comes forward. I feel that malt has to fight its way through even with a bit of age the hops are still overwhelming.
Leaves a dry feeling on the tongue. Has a heavy mouthfeel like it's going to make me feel full quick.
Would drink again but only because I already have another bottle.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Red appearance, lingering head, great look to this beer.

Smell: Quite floral in the hop character.

Taste: Different from the nose, the taste of the hops struck me as perfume-y and bitter. I did not dig the heavy bitter lack of balance.

Mouthfeel: Pretty heavy body.

Drinkability: For every red beer fan like myself, I’m sure there’s someone who loves this. But for me, Shark Attack is just so, so. (Perfume-ey hops don’t anything for me)

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a dark ruby with a tiny paper thin off white head that quickly turns into nothing. Lacing is weak too, not much stickiness to speak of what so ever. Smell is rich caramel malt and big slick pine aromas. Strong booze and earthy hops find their way in the nose as well. I don't really enjoy the smell of this one either. Alcohol flavors up front really seem to linger for a while and distract from the other flavors. Underneath the big booze taste is some gritty hops, dry grass, metallic notes, and oily rich malts. Could use some citrus hop sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick with a flat carbonation, not a very enjoyable combination. Very difficult to drink with the alcohol all over the place. I'm pretty disappointed with this one. I've really enjoyed all of Port's beers up until I gave this one a try. Not sure if I can finish this beer to be honest, but at least there's some Nugget Nectar in my fridge, a true "Imperial Amber".

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a clear, deep amber, almost ruby. no head to speak of. nose is all resiny, piny hops, with a present malt sweetness squeezing its way through. Huge caramel flavor, with grapefruit, orange, and pine thrown in the mix, and a nice, long finish. Quite the bitter kick at the end, as well. Mouthfeel is full and long- lasting, but not syrupy. Overall, an excellent brew. Another winner from Port.

Upon further review and a bit of plate refining, this one seems quite a bit less appealing.

A - Pours a ruddy plum-brown color. Almost no head at all.

S - Major caramel and pine. Like a hoppy American barleywine without the nuance.

T - Hop pine is the first, and most overwhelming flavor. Some caramel sweetness sets in, but just barely enough to ward off the hops. Unnecessarily bitter.

M - Full body, but the light carbonation gives it a syrupy feel on the tongue.

D - I drank enough to review it.

Upon revisiting, I'd say this is a pretty big miss for Port. Oh, well. I'll just have to drink more Hop 15.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

22 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks to HopDerek for picking this up for us.

Pours a murky dark amber with a thin layer of creamy off-white head. Retains around the edges with some thin wisps across the center that leaves some spotty lacing. The aroma is a alcoholic smelling fume of deep malt sweetness, citrus, and floral hops.

The taste is beefy bready malts giving away to tingling resinous hops and a tinge of grassy hops and spice. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a warm, sticky, and bitter feel. Pretty much the definition of medicinal.

Hmmm, I hate to say it but this was a complete disappointment for me. A little too much of some character and not enough of others helped make this one big sticky mess to the point that I had trouble just finishing my half of the bottle. A rare miss for me from Port Brewing.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

I was a bit disappointed with this one. I was expecting a red beer, not an IPA brewed with red malts. I also felt that sea water was used to brew this beer, it almost seemed salty. I wasn't too happy with this beer. Don't get me wrong isn't too bad an IPA, but when you read red ale you don't expect to be drinking their Hop 15 brew. I think I will have to give this beer a second chance with the knowledge that it will be an IPA instead. Enjoy it though, Port Brew makes some pretty tasty beers.

3.19/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to mattolesh for this bomber, split 3 ways into small pilsner glasses.

Slightly hazy very dark amber body. A finger of decently constructed cream-colored head. A bit of lacing. OK head retention.

Huge caramel/crystal malt aroma, with some citrusy hops and alcohol.

Is there such a thing as a "malt bomb"? Massive maltiness, toffee, caramel, and noticeable alcohol burn. A very sweet beer. Some citrusy bitterness, but not enough to balance out all the sweetness.

Feels quite heavy and kind of oily. Lowish carbonation.

Overall impression: Glad I only had to handle 1/3 of the bottle. Bordering on overly sweet- would have preferred some more hop balance.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

At our house, we use a 10-point scale. For this particular beer our ratings are as follows:

Her - 6 Foamy. Good carbonation. Slightly sweet. Hint of pine sap.
Him - ?

Overall, drinkable but a far cry from a top choice; we hold out for brews that are at least a 7 on our scale. Cheers!

3.22/5  rDev -16.6%

Not bad. I had some homemade excellent peanut brittle beforehand so I guess my tasting apparatus is biased. Nonetheless. Poured with a smallish off white head and a bit of lace. Color is a nice clear walnut. Aroma is malty and hoppy. Flavor is fairly bitter and not all that well balanced. Some heavy dark bitter syrup. Body is ok and so is carbonation. Finish is ok. Not my fav flav combo. Not so sure it'd work too well for cooking. Session beer --- mmm maybe, proly not.

3.22/5  rDev -16.6%

My first "double red ale" from bomber to glass...

Caramel in the light, looks as thick as molasses. Paper thin head. Darker, ruby brown in the light.

Smells very nice. Light fruit and hops.

Lots of flavor. Something fruity like. Too much flavor. Sorry, theres a taste that just doesn't agree with my palate. Sickly sweet. Hop taste is subdued.

Heavy body, low carbonation, like syrup. No problems there, but I'm just not fond of this. I'm sure it's well crafted, Port Brewing is pretty damn solid, so the blame probably lies within myself.

It's possible I don't/won't like this style of beer. I know I like Port's other offerings so I don't want to say anything unkind about this offering, but, what the hell, I don't like it.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

22oz Bottle

I got this in another great trade with errantnight, thanks Derek! Shark Attack Double Red pours like an amber ale should, amber. There is a good amount of haziness in there though. A one finger tan soapy head formed on the pour that quickly fell to a skimming with a thick ring but left excellent lacing on its way down.

Not quite what I expected out of the gate. There seems to be a big boozy, syrupy sweetness that really isn't my thing. Alcohol fumes waft through the air with no regard. The saving grace is the pungent resin hoppiness. Can't get enough resin hoppiness.

The flavor is, disappointingly, what the nose suggested. Alcohol is big and brash right up front and the maltiness seems a little too sweet and syrupy. The resinous hops are there and seem to cover some of the faults up a bit but overall I'm pretty disappointed in the flavor of this beer.

The mouthfeel is actually a little thin, I know I know I was talking about syrupy this and that but that was the sweetness talking. Mouthfeel isn't bad but it's not very good either.

I'm going to finish off this bomber and be done with this brew. The bomber is actually too much but I hate wasting beer.

Not one I would pick up again from Port Brewing. I really like the things I've tried from them but this just doesn't do it for me.

3.24/5  rDev -16.1%

Bomber into my SA pint

A: dark amber, red with minimal head and negligible carbonation

S: aroma is pretty appealing. caramel malts followed by grapefruit, pine came out as it warmed. some spicinees and a little boozy

T: Taste follows the aroma without the grapefruit initially picked up

M: medium in body. carbonation is lacking. kind of sticky

D: not bad but i probably won't revisit. My first "disappointment" with Pizza Port/Lost Abbey

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber thanks to Beermasons.

Glowing mahogany with a heaving pillowy, slightly yellowed head that leaves solid lacing as it gradually falls.

Pungent mix of caramelly, biscuity malts and sweaty hops. Orange sherbet, strawberry, liquorice, molasses and toffee fondue.

Heavily malt driven palate of syrupy brandied sugars and dark fruits with a somewhat disconnected piney bitterness.

Rather trying. Seems too heavy for its own good and pretty bracing for 9%.

Not convinced this works that well. Has a bold and interesting malt bill but a conspicuous lack of hop aromas and flavours. Seems only bittering hops come through to temper the richness and sweeteness.

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours pretty murky, a very deep amber with red hues. Not much head at all then a small off-white cap rises and falls to a ring, leaving some lacing down the glass.

Smell is pretty lovely. Mainly in the malt department with excellent juicy hops lying underneath. Sweet caramel overload and some brown sugar sprinkled on top. It smells of thick and chewy malt. Some fresh grapefruit and tropical fruits waft through, hinting at pineapple.

In the taste, these flavors aren't given the chance to shine individually. With the nose I was able to pick out nice pieces of the puzzle, the taste unfortunately did not put them together. Big sweetness and bitterness and booze fight one another, entering and exiting scene at random moments. Somewhat spicy and punchy from the hops but overly sweet, not really the greatest combination. I was surprised how this went downhill from what the smell provided.

Mouthfeel is basically full and somewhat chewy but the bitterness is offsetting and there is a little burn to it. Ehh, it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I enjoyed the regular Shark Bite, this was a step down.

Thanks goes to seaoflament, one of the most stand up BA's I know of, for this brew.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

22oz bottle. Dark red-brown with a thick beige head. Hoppy and sweet aroma. The flavor has lots of sweet, caramel malt and a good deal of citrucy hops, though the sweetness overpowers a bit. Thick in the mouth. Quite similar to the Yulesmith that i had the night before, though with a bit better balance. Still, just a bit too sweet for me.

3.31/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Poured a beautiful two finger off-white head. Long retention and some sticky lacing. This head has stuck around for like three minutes. Not bad. Cola brown, translucent with nice carbonation.

S- Hop heavy, some spicy hop oil is the first smell you get. Cherry, apple scents. Fruity and nice smelling.

T- Hop heavy again, but with layered malts. The hop oil finishes bitter, overpowers most other flavors in the beer.

M- Creamy, but at the same time it seems too watery for the taste and smell.

O- Looks great! Goes downhill from there.

Shark Attack Double Red Ale from Port Brewing