Shark Attack Double Red Ale - Port Brewing

Shark Attack Double Red AleShark Attack Double Red Ale

Port Brewing visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Floydster on 03-07-2008)
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Dark brownish red with weak little head. Kind of a let down.

Lots of caramel and toffee in the nose almost reminiscent of a barleywine. Some orange and floral notes.

Starts with sweet sugary flavors, toast and toffee. After the initial sweetness and malty flavors there is a juicy tangerine quality to the beer. Grapefruit rind. Finish is quite bitter and resinous. Pine.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and make this a little harder to consume than your average red. Overall this is a good beer, it keeps you wondering whether it is a big red ale, DIPA, or a Barleywine. I like this quality. If you can find it pick it up.

bosco7, Jun 11, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Julio's, Westboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" beige head over the clear red brew. Head is promptly down to a skimmy uneven layer of bubbles, with average to good lacing. Aroma is sweet maltiness, piney hops, and ample alcohol. Taste is hoppy bitter from beginning to end, with undertones of sweetness at the beginning, and alcohol warming towards the end. Mouthfeel is smooth, but drinkability is limited by overhopping. A victim of too much hops just to be bitter, and not leaving much room for flavor to be appreciated.

ppoitras, Jun 09, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for this brew.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a tulip. No dating.

A: Pours a deep ruby with decent visibility when held to the light. A short 1/2cm head forms but holds nicely at a fat skim. Some decent lacing to start.

S: Very big hop presence, very citrusy and oily with a touch of pine. I'm guessing Amarillo and Centennial? Hops just about dominate the aroma except for a touch of sweet from the malts, though not thick and chewy like in DIPAs.

T/M: More of the same from the hop department and packs a pretty good bitterness punch. The malts are much stronger and now they do have that thick, almost chewy mouthfeel with plenty of bready and doughy malts. The alcohol is pretty present, especially in the latter half of the swallow and it intensifies as it warms. Very dry finish with lingering bitterness. Body is just about full and plenty chewy with controlled carbonation.

D: 9% is pretty hefty and a highly exposed alcohol sting definitely lowers things further. Tasty but I don't think it could ever replace Nugget Nectar or Red's Rye. Thanks again for the trade, Mike :)

pwoods, Jun 09, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Bomber into my SA pint

A: dark amber, red with minimal head and negligible carbonation

S: aroma is pretty appealing. caramel malts followed by grapefruit, pine came out as it warmed. some spicinees and a little boozy

T: Taste follows the aroma without the grapefruit initially picked up

M: medium in body. carbonation is lacking. kind of sticky

D: not bad but i probably won't revisit. My first "disappointment" with Pizza Port/Lost Abbey

Rainintheface, Jun 05, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

22 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks to HopDerek for picking this up for us.

Pours a murky dark amber with a thin layer of creamy off-white head. Retains around the edges with some thin wisps across the center that leaves some spotty lacing. The aroma is a alcoholic smelling fume of deep malt sweetness, citrus, and floral hops.

The taste is beefy bready malts giving away to tingling resinous hops and a tinge of grassy hops and spice. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a warm, sticky, and bitter feel. Pretty much the definition of medicinal.

Hmmm, I hate to say it but this was a complete disappointment for me. A little too much of some character and not enough of others helped make this one big sticky mess to the point that I had trouble just finishing my half of the bottle. A rare miss for me from Port Brewing.

Kegatron, May 27, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Cheers to my friend Eric for lugging this back from Cali while house hunting & sharing this with me!

Poured a caramel/red with 2 fingers of sand colored head. Super head retention & lacing

S: Biscuitty malt, piney hops & cakeyness

T: Cakey with much pine & some grapefruitty hops. Dryness dominates as this warms, pus a bit of boozeyness. Finished warming with caramel

MF: Chewy with light carbonation & good balance

Drank easy but the dryness & ABV would put me off after a few pints

russpowell, May 26, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a bomber from Windmill Farms across the way from SDSU.

A- A translucent, thick brownish copper, with foamy off-white head that has minimal lacing.

S- Sweet malts and grains upfront that get stronger the more I inhale. A boozy caramel that finishes with a touch of bitterness.

T- Mild malty sweetness with that boozy warmth, almost have some vapors going up my nose. Grainy malts with a bitter finish.

M- Light viscous, coating the tounge. Warmth all the way down.

D- I have never had a double red, so I don't have a comparison. I do like this one, but the etoh heat is a bit much for me to drink more than this 22 oz.

m1ked, May 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to my buddy BeerTruth for this one. He's an extra special little beer bitch.

Pours a hazy reddish brown color with only about one finger of tan head. Not much of a lace remains but it does leave a bit of stick.

Smell has some caramel and biscuit malt aromas, along with some passion fruit and a bit of citrus. A bit on the weak side.

Flavor is more robust than the smell, although the components are the same. Ample caramel malt sweetness with a bit of a toasted/biscuit flavor, as well. Lots of fruit flavor, some citrus and passion fruit, and then a burst of resiny hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and creamy, with an oily hop slickness.

Tasty brew that is surprisingly strong and maybe even a bit too drinkable at 9%. Goes down too easy.

number1bum, May 16, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

I was a bit disappointed with this one. I was expecting a red beer, not an IPA brewed with red malts. I also felt that sea water was used to brew this beer, it almost seemed salty. I wasn't too happy with this beer. Don't get me wrong isn't too bad an IPA, but when you read red ale you don't expect to be drinking their Hop 15 brew. I think I will have to give this beer a second chance with the knowledge that it will be an IPA instead. Enjoy it though, Port Brew makes some pretty tasty beers.

Wetpaperbag, Apr 26, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: The pour is amber in color with an off-white head that starts out larger and sticks around longer than heads on most 9% beer would.

Smell: The nose has a nice blend of piney and earthy hops, bready malts, toffee, caramel, and a hint of dark fruit.

Taste: The flavor profile starts off with bready malts, caramel, and toffee, followed quickly by earthy, piney, floral, and citrusy hops. The mid-palate is malt-forward with hops playing a supporting role. A fruity flavor joins the malts and a minor surge of bitterness for the finish.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied and rich with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a good beer, but being simply good makes it one of Port/Lost Abbey's weaker brews. It's also a beer that doesn't seem like it needs such a high ABV to taste the way it tastes.

goschool, Apr 22, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

The characteristics of this beer is dark copper, some decent lacing on the sides of my S.N. pint glass and minimal head. I like it, although it is a little on the heaveir side. Returned from a trip and cracked it open before eating, and its 9.0% did have its effect. I would definitely like to drink this after a great meal or at either location with a pizza. It has a great taste going down, and a decent taste afterwards. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle bought at B.M. Would definitely buy again and get on tap at either PP in SD county.

2LBrew, Apr 19, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Third time's a charm. Third bottle purchased, first bottle drank...

Pours a rich, deep ruby/mahogany with just barely any head. Little lacing.

Nice fruity, rich, hoppy aroma.

Taste is... not terribly pleasant at first, but it builds as it gets closer to room temperature to an eminently enjoyable sipper. Initially a thin-finishing, malty rich punch of cloying caramel through the middle... but that gives way to a more complex, rounded, almost earthy/tobacco malt that blends considerably well with a citrusy, floral hop presence.

Mouth is definitely full, and while too much carbonation might make this too heavy, I think a little more might have helped.

I could be convinced to purchase a 4th, at least.

errantnight, Apr 17, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I am not sure what to think about this one. I suspect I may have picked up an old bottle. The carbonation was pretty much nonexistant. With that in mind, this is my review...

Poured a bomber into a DFH shaped pint glass.

Appearance - No head, and from the looks of it, no carbonation. It pours virtually completely flat. It has a deep transparent red color, but the depth of redness takes it to a translucent stage. I am trouble by how flat this beer looks - this is a bad start.

Smell - There is a slight sweetness from the malt profile, but is mostly slaps you in the face with grapefruity piney hops. There is a heavy booze note as well, and it seems like they tried to use hops to cover it up, but is very apparent in the burning sensation I feel in my nostrils when I take a whiff.

Taste - The taste is this beers savings graces. There is a slight sweetness, but it gets bitchslapped by tons of bitterness. IT is unbalanced in the hop/malt ratio - the malt depth is a little too shallow for me. Some more caramel sweetness would have cut through the hops a lot better, but that said, this is a hophead's dream.

Mouthfeel - Ugh. There is no carbonation. It has a medium body and it feels slightly sticky as it washes over the tongue.

Drinkability - This is a big dissappointment. I must have gotten a bad bottle. Doesn't seem like it met the quality standards that I expect from Port. I will have to get another bottle and re-review. Some form of carbonation would have saved this beer.

MiguelMandingo, Apr 13, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

22oz Bottle

I got this in another great trade with errantnight, thanks Derek! Shark Attack Double Red pours like an amber ale should, amber. There is a good amount of haziness in there though. A one finger tan soapy head formed on the pour that quickly fell to a skimming with a thick ring but left excellent lacing on its way down.

Not quite what I expected out of the gate. There seems to be a big boozy, syrupy sweetness that really isn't my thing. Alcohol fumes waft through the air with no regard. The saving grace is the pungent resin hoppiness. Can't get enough resin hoppiness.

The flavor is, disappointingly, what the nose suggested. Alcohol is big and brash right up front and the maltiness seems a little too sweet and syrupy. The resinous hops are there and seem to cover some of the faults up a bit but overall I'm pretty disappointed in the flavor of this beer.

The mouthfeel is actually a little thin, I know I know I was talking about syrupy this and that but that was the sweetness talking. Mouthfeel isn't bad but it's not very good either.

I'm going to finish off this bomber and be done with this brew. The bomber is actually too much but I hate wasting beer.

Not one I would pick up again from Port Brewing. I really like the things I've tried from them but this just doesn't do it for me.

joe1510, Apr 13, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

A 650 mL bottle purchased at Capone's.

A: The amber ale hues unflinchingly to the description, a dark red-brown melange that easily passes for the bottle it was served in. A small head emerged on pour and it looks to pool atop the glass only, no lacing to be seen.

S: The nose is a big malt profile, so much so that is could be confused for barleywine (it is very Stone 10-esque). The big vegetal grainy malts are met with an herbal, almost medicinal, citrus hop profile. This is much bigger than I expected.

T: This is a full-bodied beer, so thick that you can damn near chew it. The malts are concentrated to the point of barleywine, with intense grains and vegetal flavors. Within the big malts are a heavy blast of hops. The hops are quite hot, full of black pepper bite and herbal, grassy citrus hops. The body is hot, heavy on the alcohol in addition the malts and hops.

M: The mouthfeel is biting and harsh, a meal in a glass. Lots of hops and lots of malts are bound to keep all the senses happy.

D: At 9%, this is a good nightcap. The flavors are big and tend to wear out the tastebuds quickly.

akorsak, Apr 05, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours darkish amber with a ruby hue.
A moderate pour brought up a half-inch of white foam, and quickly dissapated. Barely a trace of any lacework and retention, with a few errant dots on the glass and whisps on the surface.
Aromatics are malty up front, with some rounded, earthy hops following through. Some residuals finish the nose with hints of citrus.
The mouthfeel is medium, a bit chewy, and slightly tacky.
Sweet crystle malt leads off the pallet, with a firmish bitterness, and a blend of tropical fruit and grassy hop resin.
Finishes slightly warming, with lingering bitterness and fading fruit.

Pretty tame for a "double red" from Port, but tasty and plenty balanced. The nose especially could use a heavier hand with the hops.

Big ups to SacodeToro for hooking me up!

brewandbbq, Apr 02, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Another Port Brewing beer I couldn't wait to try. Served this slightly chilled, in a pint glass, from a twenty two ounce bottle.

Appearance: This one pours out a deep brownish garnet color that is pretty clear when held up to the light. A somewhat easy pour results in a solid finger and a half of thick, bubbly, off-whit head. Head fades rather quickly, leaving some thin white trails of lace behind.

Smell: Not too strong of a nose on this one. Mellow hop and grass aromas. Has quite a thick malt character to it. Almost a sweet fruity aroma to it consisting of mixed berries, hints of cherry, and just a faint touch of citrus.

Taste: Not quite what I was expecting. Has a bit of a dark fruitiness, with some definitely bitter hops. Not alot of citrus flavors I was expecting to taste. Tons of thick sweet malt flavors to balance out the bitterness. A bit of cherry is noticeable but faint. Plenty of booze to warm the body as it goes down.

Mouthfeel: Great thick, palate coating mouthfeel bordering on syrupy.

Drinkability: Decent drinkability. Loses points for the strong bitter taste and noticeable alcohol. Not too bad overall.

jaxon53, Mar 30, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a ruby red and amber color, very small gathering of tan foam quickly dissipates. Sweet juicy hops hit the nose right away. A blend of sweet tangerine, cotton candy, berries and pine and alcohol as well. Taste shows a bit of the berry and citrusy sweetness up front, a big chewy caramel maltiness is cut by a piney bitterness that slowly grows to a peppery zing. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, fairly low level of carbonation allows the larg malty body to feel heavy on the tongue, what carbonation there is lends to a somewhat creamy body. Hoppiness is both peppery and drying on the tongue and an alcohol warmth is noticeable in the finish. A good beer, very drinkable but very sweet as well as the low carbonation really allowed the big maltiness to feel heavy on the tongue. The hops helped balance and the 22ozs was gone without any trouble.

hoppymeal, Mar 24, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Never seen this one before yesterday wich came as a surprise to everyone I was with. The overall impression I got from this beer was that it lacked inspiration. That being said, heres what I got from the beer:

The appearance was deep, dark, and red. No head except a small tan ring around the surface of the liquid. Pretty clear.

The smell was strong of hops, mostly piney. There was a touch of alcohol in the nose and a bit of sweet malt. The hops were a nice surprise being that I don't generally like reds.

The taste was a basic run of the mill american made red ale with, again, the hop surprise. Very sweet and caramelly, too heavy on the crystal malts, but thats the style I guess. The hops made it tolerable for me and seemed to work well with the red ale qualities. Not bad. Also, a fair amount of alcohol was present in the flavor, if I had to guess I would say this is why they put so much hops in there.

This beer was somewhat drinkable but I wouldn't recomend drinking the whole 22 oz by yourself. I passed it around the table to 7 different people and it came back half full, so I dumped the rest of it in my roomates glass when he wasn't looking.

t0rin0, Mar 21, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

I decided to track this down because I am really digging this style lately thanks to Yulesmith, Dead by Dawn, Gordon, and Red Devil. The color is no surprise, reddish-amber with almost no head. The intiial aromas are of pine needles, not cones, serious hops. There is a slight caramel aroma as well. The taste is a blast of green, leafy hops that I enjoy. I cannot seem to find the malt backbone to this beer, just blistering hops. There is some astringency in the mouthfeel that needles the palate. Overall, a nice flavor and aroma but a sipper due to the ABV/mouthfeel.

ArrogantB, Mar 19, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Pours a dark reddish brown color with a very small tan head that recedes almost instatly. One thing I notice is the amount of carbonation bubbles. Looks like I poured a coke.

S:Very light scent on this one, what does come through is a nice balance of malts and hops.

T: Starts out very plain in taste and then takes a swerve and goes on a nice hoppy path very citrus in flavor and finishes with a nice sharp earthy flavor.

MF: Lots of *burp* carbonation *burp* and a bit watery for my liking but not bad.

D: Goes down quite easy and does a really good job at hiding the 9% that it packs comes at a pretty decent cost as well. High marks here.

ChillMike, Mar 18, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep reddish brown with a very small cap of a head.

S: Somewhat hoppy with a big malty background. Very much like a barleywine in aroma.

T: Quite powerful. Mostly malty with a moderately hoppy finish, but not very complex.

MF: Medium-full bodied and creamy.

D: Goes down smooth with a moderate alcohol burn mixing with the hoppy bitterness.

Probably not going to seek out more, but totally worth trying.

srroos, Mar 18, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a few bottles of this over at South Bay Drugs and Liquor.

The beer pours a dark amber color, almost the color of the water surrounding a shark attack victim, muddy and sanguine. The former reviewers were right, very little head on this. I only managed to get about 1/3 of an inch with an aggressive pour and it lasted very little.

The aroma is deep and floral with toasted and caramel malts, ripe dark fruits, and some citrus hops. Some cherry aromas from the alcohol come through in the tail of this beast. There are also a few notes of grapes and wild berries. A touch of grassy hops in the mixture.

Tastes Big. Lots of caramel and toast and quickly followed by plums, figs and raisins. I think that's pretty much it; there also seems to be some earthy and bread crust flavors but this one is mostly all about the dark fruits, caramel and toast. I'm starting to pick up some brown sugar as well.

Feels thick and this one doesn't hide its big body. I think one bomber is enough for me.

Not a bad beer at all, but not something I could drink too often.

seaoflament, Mar 18, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Pours a deep red, that fades to amber around the edges. A solid pour yields a good one-inch head that fades quickly and doesn't leave much lacing.

S: Smell is a blend of piney and resin hops, with a touch of citrus, balanced with a heavy dose of malty sweetness.

T: This is a very well-balanced red, let me say that from the start. Big piney hops lead the charge, but are quickly balanced out by a huge caramel malt. Some hints of resin and citrus also come from the hops. The alcohol is not even noticeable, as the malt and hops provide a huge amount of flavor.

M: Smooth, with a crisp and long-lasting finish to it.

D: This is a very drinkable red ale. Very tasty, very balanced, and with the alcohol being so hidden, it could be easy to drink a few of these without even realizing it. A very tasty brew from Port Brewing.

YonderWanderer, Mar 17, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft at Lost Abbey

Appearance is clear dark amber hue, no noticeable head, minimal lacing

Smell is big caramel malts and toffee, big grassy hops, hint of alcohol heat

Taste is dominated by huge caramel malts and big piney hops, some subtle floral/grassy tones, toffee, citrus, finishes bitter with slight warming alcohol

Mouthfeel is medium-to-full-bodied, thick and creamy texture, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is high, this is a nicely balanced amber ale with big malt and hop presence (Malt/Hop Bomb!), alcohol is well masked, I'm a fan of Imperial Red Ales and could drink this one all night long!

Stoneman78, Mar 16, 2008