1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

2nd Anniversary Double IPA - Port Brewing

2nd Anniversary Double IPA2nd Anniversary Double IPA

Port Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: Floydster on 05-03-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 198 | Reviews: 187 | Show All Ratings:
Mamuda

3.69/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Apparently, this beer is retired, but i tried in Boneyard in Sherman Oaks in Aug, 2013. I was told it is simlar to Pliny The ELDER.. I would agree with this assessment. The head is not that full... Lots of hops...the coloring is somewhat off, a little too blurry for my taste.. Big aftertaste as it is with PTE.

08-19-2013 23:51:49 | More by Mamuda
SalMineo

2.2/5  rDev -44.7%

Before I begin to review this beer I've got to state that I think I had an old bottle of this stuff. I have never seen on any shelf in Massachusetts until today so I thought it was relatively new. I expected an extremely hoppy grapefruit smelling foamy kick in the mouth instead what I got appears to be a more weak barley wine/ancient ale. I

Pour-Almost no foam or carbonation at all which I hate because I love IPAs that are very volatile. The color was that of darker hazy amber. As I pour it now it has absolutely no head.

Smell-I get the overwhelming smell of raisins and dark malts that go into barley wine. I detected no smell of grapefruit or any tropical fruit or citrus for that matter. After reading reviews from other Port lovers I was disappointed I couldn't smell that lovely hoppy grapefruit smell. I detected a bit of caramel in it as well.

Taste-Once again I was completely disappointed with what I got because I bought it in expectations of tasting like a delicious IPA to go with my Hawaiian pizza. What I tasted was again that barley wine style with an overwhelming presence of alcohol in it. It actually burned going down my throat. I got a presences of dark fruit such as raisins and a little bit of caramel. The presence of alcohol just overwhelmed my mouth though.

Mouthfeel-Another disappointment. I was hoping for that excited energized fruity/hoppy kick in the mouth you get from drinking a great IPA. What I actually got was a smooth thin still burn that I usually get with barley wines. I didn't like it at all.

To conclude my thoughts on Port Brewing 2nd Anniversary Double IPA I would like to state a couple of facts. I absolutely LOVE Port Brewing and their IPAs which is why I bought this beer. I expected that awesome IPA taste, smell, and feel (as I have described earlier in my review) that is so good it can get rid of that nastiest of hangovers which I had this morning. I feel like I got a skunked bottle of it which is a major bummer because I wanted Port Brewing to cheer me up and make me feel good. Instead it gave me barley wine which I just don't like at all. I would love to try it fresh or as close to fresh as I can get in the state of massachusetts. If any of guys know where I can get a good batch of this beer in Massachusetts please let me know and I'm sure my next review will be top notch.

04-14-2012 18:26:21 | More by SalMineo
Gobzilla

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A: poured a golden orange with yellow highlights and a thin head that left a little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: big on citrus which consists of oranges and lemons especially oranges with great piney hoppy aromas with a good malt balance and faint cherry notes. There is also slight mango and pineapple scents as well.

T: very nice citrusy hop pine hop flavor with a grapefruit bitterness with oranges helping the bitter end and a very good malt balance to even out the hop punch.

M: medium body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet citrus bitter finish.

D: this is the best anniversary beer that port has put out. Its better than the 3rd and 4th. Good all the way around on every category. Glad I could get a hold of some more.

06-21-2010 22:48:17 | More by Gobzilla
u2carew

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

22oz Bomber. Consumed 3/16/10.

A) Pours with a finger thick head. Settles quickly to a thin lacing that is semi-sticky. Very hazy body with visible sediment and chunkies. Rusty orange in color.
S) Grapefruit. Orange. Mellow caramel malts.
T) A well balanced malt and hop beginning. Mixes with a noticeable alcohol taste. Hints of black pepper. Finishes more hoppy than malty.
M) Creamy. Medium to full body. Slightly syrupy.
D) A decent brew. The sediment is a turn off.

03-22-2010 21:55:36 | More by u2carew
nickd717

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Bomber from City Beer in SF. I know people are going to shoot me for reviewing a year and a half old double IPA, but looking at the earlier reviews, I don't think this beer has gone downhill all that much. Seems it started off fairly malty and sweet, and this has worked well as it has transitioned to more of a barleywine-like beer.

Pours a brilliant clear amber color. An aggressive pour yields only some bubbles and leaves a small ring around the glass.

Aroma is very interesting and barleywine-like. Caramel and brown sugar, with just a little bit of hop character and some light fruitiness.

Flavor is very malty and sweet. Caramel and brown sugar jump out, along with toffee notes. The hop bitterness is definitely still there, and hops show up on the flavor as mostly grapefruit, resin, and tropical fruits, pineapple in particular.

A little watery on the mouthfeel with somewhat low carbonation. Medium body with some substantial hop oils.

Overall really nice though! I've been on a barleywine kick recently, and this stacks up pretty well if you categorize it as such.

03-07-2010 02:17:43 | More by nickd717
JTahoe

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Hazy peachy-gold with slight head and wispy sticky lace.

S - Lightly tropical with pineapple, grapefruit, and apricot fruits and some biscuit in the background.

T - Gushing citrus and tropical fruit hop flavors flowing on a wave of caramel malt. Slightly sweet with really no bitterness.

M - Very smooth with medium-full body and low but present carbonation.

D - Mellow and very drinkable for a DIPA... watch it.

02-02-2010 05:18:07 | More by JTahoe
bulletrain76

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

22oz bottle. Orange-amber with a medium head that has moderate retention. Lots of green and piney hops in the nose, with some alcohol as well. Moderate sweetness from the malts up front, then hits you with a ton of hop flavor. Not overly bitter, bit the pine quality of the hops hits a little harshly. Finishes with the bitterness quickly replaced by an alcoholic kick in the throat. It all comes together alright, but I do like hop 15 much better. There seemed to be a lot of hot alcohol in the finish that could be rounded a little more. Maybe I was expecting too much out of this, being an anniversary beer, but it just seemed a little harsh and unrefined, though still pretty tasty.

11-12-2009 05:36:49 | More by bulletrain76
jculler82

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

2 fingers of off white, frothy head over a dark amber semi opaque beer. Good looking beer.

The smell was bubble gum, faint alcohol, tropical fruits, and hints of very faint grapefruit.

The taste was mainly a fruity-ness from the slightly overwhelming alcohol. I think that age got the best of the hops, as they were basically non-existent. There was a mild bitterness in the aftertaste, but it seemed to be more bitterness from the alcohol than any remnants from hops.

Mouthfeel was near perfect, nice and creamy with medium carbonation.

Overall, I almost feel bad even reviewing this one because I know that this beer fresh would be a totally different thing than what I had. Never the less, it wasn't bad, just past its prime.

09-08-2009 23:22:50 | More by jculler82
HiAIPA

Maine

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber. Pours a cloudy orange with minimal head. This has a malty bitter nose of beeswax, pine and grapefruit pulp. Taste is similar, with a hearty malt bill, fermented orange and resinous quality. Similar in style to Smuttynose Big A, this is slightly heavier though. Excellent for aging with the malt to stand it up.

08-14-2009 22:55:21 | More by HiAIPA
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Refrigerator aged until 2009.

Pours hazy but bright orange that is much lighter than the 3rd Anniversary here next to this 2nd Anniversary in adjacent pint glasses. Nose is barleywine like with sweet malt aromas, some holiday spices with pine, and maybe something like those chocolate oranges at Christmas. On the palate this may have well just been a barleywine. Hops are subdued and the big malt shines through.

08-05-2009 03:17:09 | More by yemenmocha
philbertk

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Remarks
Thin mild lace white head.Hazy rich bright orange gold color.Big sweet floral hop malt ester grapefruit dough front.Cloying sweet caramel pine bisquit fruit huge hop infused malty body.Hot hop EtOH spice dry puckery end.Big Malty harsh unbalanced Hop Bomb.
Dissappointing

06-13-2009 21:50:35 | More by philbertk
ClockworkOrange

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A 22 ounce bomber bottle poured into my Sierra Nevada shaker glass. Appears an ultra cloudy, bright golden honeyed apricot color, full of hop particulates. The ale is topped off with two fingers of quickly fading cream colored foam. I'm picking up some quite fragrant floral aromas, followed by notes of sweet candied citrus peels, mainly orange and white grapefruit. Huge citrus notes - Toucan Sam would be very proud. Tastes of bitter-sweet ruby red grapefruit juice, a decent amount of caramelized malt to cut the bitterness of the citrus, perfumed orange and tangerine oils, maybe a touch of pineapple, alcohol has faded considerably, but still comes through. This ale falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with more than ample carbonation. After finishing the bomber, I certainly wasn't craving another right away though. This one is a sipper, for me at least. Take your time and savor it.

05-18-2009 03:41:56 | More by ClockworkOrange
Martin2D

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Amber in color with no head

S - Smells of alcohol and bitter hops

T - Very malty on the forefront, and the bitterness of hops afterwards.

M - Medium-light carbonation and medium in body

D - This one really threw me off when I tasted it. It's pretty much a barleywine. While extremely tasty, and much better than Hop 15, it's not really a great example of an IIPA.

04-22-2009 02:03:45 | More by Martin2D
surfer4life

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a hazy copper color. Nice thick head and decent lacing.

S - Big floral and citrus hop smell. Can definitely smell a bready malt which balances the smell and give it a great aroma.

T - Taste is ok, not big a hoppy like I had expected. It's possible that it's an old bottle, but I hadn't seen it on the shelf the week prior so I thought it to be fresh.

M - Good carbonation, still pretty creamy, nice body.

D - Eh, I don't think I will search this out, unless I find out it's fresh on tap somewhere.

03-30-2009 04:33:10 | More by surfer4life
tobyandgina

Nevada

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Cloudy peach in color. Thin head that hung around for a while in the center of the glass.

Smell of honey, malts, fruity(apricot) and kind of musty.

Taste had some big spices - really big bite. Some vanilla characters, some alcohol present. Very complex. The bitterness is balanced out with the vanilla and honey. Some clove-like spices also present.

I don't know why this is considered a Double IPA. To me it's more like Belgian or a Belgian Double.

Good finish, a little oily palate. Drinkability is good.

03-27-2009 20:42:22 | More by tobyandgina
dqderrick

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

22oz bomber cellared for 4 months after purchase at 52F. Was this only made in May 2008? If so, this bottle is going on 10 months in age.

A - 4.0
Orange/brown. Cloudy with very slight head. Some particles suspending in beer. I had it stored upright... hmmm.

S - 4.5
Smells malt sweet with slight but good hops filling in. Age seems to be effecting its hoppiness. Pineapple/grapefruit/citrus is definitely there and VERY enjoyable.

T - 5.0
AWESOME. I'm loving the taste of the aged hops. The malt backbone makes me very happy. Reminds me a little of a Speakeasy Double Daddy IPA... but I haven't had one for a while.

MF - 4.0
Seems pretty good. Carbonation a tad low but present.

D - 4.5
Very smooth and not as hoppy as i used to be by a long shot! The 22 oz went down very easily over an hour plus. I enjoyed it like a good wine. For 9.5%, this was very drinkable. Very.

03-18-2009 04:56:51 | More by dqderrick
FACEMEAT

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber yellow with a half-finger of head that quickly dissipated into a thin cap. Little lacing remained.

S: Caramel, freshly cut grass and hops.

T: Wow. This is the first over-the-top hopped beer that has really impressed me. The hop intensity beat me over the head then begged me for more. There's a background of caramel and persimmon to take the edge off...just barely...but enough.

M: An oily viscosity lingers on the palate to remind you that you're drinking a man's beer.

D: Yes, please.

03-13-2009 04:21:05 | More by FACEMEAT
woodychandler

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

The finger of foamy head with light retention had an interestingly unusual yellow cast. The beer itself looked as though I were pouring raw honey into my glass. The nose had a very pine-y, resinous quality. The mouthfeel was full, bordering on viscous. My goodness, but this was simply liquid hops. The taste just would not quit. In fact, the monkey on my back actually stopped his incessant chattering! Jeez, I felt like an IPA virgin. The finish absolutely lingered with an intense hops bite. Zounds! Let's do this again real soon.

03-01-2009 19:40:00 | More by woodychandler
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Orange color with some darker accents in there. The head is pretty bubbly, quite a bit more full than I remember from the sparse cap I was served on tap.

The nose is a great blast of orange zest, grapefruit, with some pine. Backed up by enough caramel sweetness to be credible.

The flavor is still quite hop-heavy, although the malts make a decent effort here. Caramel, biscuits, and toast duke it out with the citrics and mildly herbal characteristics of the hops.

Good sized body, nothing but a A-1 hop-delivery system here. Well done.

02-27-2009 02:48:49 | More by BretSikkink
JBogan

Nevada

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a caramel color with a decent white head which left almost no lacing.

Smelled really nice. Yes, the telltale grapefruit sign of hops is there, but there is some malt to balance it out. I got a floral note out of it as well.

The taste didn't live up to the aroma as far as I'm concerned. The hops were way too intrusive. I know this is supposed to be a hop bomb, but some, even a little bit of balance would be nice. I didn't find that balance in this beer. This tasted like a very one dimensional brew.

Mouthfeel was decent. Thick and smooth, but very flat. It felt dead in the mouth.

I gave this an "average" score in drinkability, because I know there are folks out there who enjoy this sort of hop juice. Personally I finished the bottle but was glad to see it go, I won't be purchasing this one again. However if you tend to like this sort of unbalanced one dimensional over the top hop beer, then you'll love this.

02-26-2009 00:57:48 | More by JBogan
ppoitras

4.22/5  rDev +6%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a minimal 1/8" beige head over the way cloudy orangey amber brew. Head quickly retreats to the sides, with leggy slow-falling lace. Aroma is pungeant piney grapefruit. Taste is sweet to start, quickly fruity in the middle, and the close is combo of take-your-breath-away bitterness and alcohol burn. But somehow that comes together well and works. Mouthfeel is smooth, and is drinkable for the style. Another memorable anniversary.

02-21-2009 01:45:47 | More by ppoitras
discovolante65

Rhode Island

4.18/5  rDev +5%

Split with a fellow BA. Thanks for bringing the goods ABhatter, as usual!
Pours a nice tawny color with a nice, but brief head. big fat bubbles that went away within 20 seconds. lacing was reduced to a v-shaped colony of microscopic bubbles.

Smell is like someone rammed a pine scented air-freshener in one nostril, and a piece of hot homemade bread in the other nostril. Some citrus is also at play in the nose.

Taste is one of the best balances of hops and malt I have ever had. You get the hop-slap grapefruit/pine taste, and then this malty, biscuity finish. toast with butter is also detected in the finish.

It is oily, not bad oily, but never the less. nice medium body. it never got sticky or overly bitter, due to the malts.

Drinkability - I really like this one. I would think that most who drink DIPA's would be slightly disappointed with the sweetness that blunts the hops, but I like it. I would have more than one of this on any day.

02-09-2009 18:54:48 | More by discovolante65
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on tap at Hollingsheads Delicatessen in Orange, CA and review from bottle.

The beer appears as if poured from an unsettled cask, its complexion is completely murky and thoroughly muddied. Its tone isn't so bright either; it almost shares the colour of a sweet potato. It is nearly entirely bare on the top. Its surface is enveloped only by a sole, soapy ring which leaves the beer looking incomplete.

Holy Hops Batman! I feel the need to catch my breath. An almost antibacterial pine like scent is lifted from what was surely once acres worth of lupulin crops. This smell actually places you in a pine forest. Its base of crisp toast biscuits is easily overlooked because there are also tangy, fruity (mostly orange and lemon) notes as well. This is what I had expected!

Of all the wonderful hop characteristic it's the pine that sticks out most in the taste. The sappy, juicy flavour of hop resin coats the palate with every gulp. The beer is actually surprisingly malty despite all that. Toasted bread and cookie dough impart a heavy flavour and lingering sweetness. Combine the two and you've got yourself one kick-ass DIPA.

The alcohol greets you with a big smack upside the head with every sip. Not one bit of that 9.5% is shamefaced. This doesn't help the antibacterial impression I had earlier - then again it's probably the cause of it. Still, for a beer this strong I catch myself taking some pretty big sips. More than one sample a session might seem more doable than is probably wise.

I always find it suitable when breweries release anniversary beers that properly embody what it is the brewery is all about. Port's Second Anniversary DIPA is appropriate on a number of levels: one, it epitomizes the talent of their head brewer. Secondly, it exemplifies the quality of their offerings. Lastly, it exhibits the in-your-face, ass-kicking kind of hopped up brewing that put California's micro breweries on the map.

For all the good Port Brewing does they are still guilty of one thing: not distributing their beer further! If I had the masterful crafts of Tomme Arthur at my every day disposal I would scarcely need anything else. Cheers to Port Brewing on their second anniversary and like anyone else who appreciates beer will toast: here's to many more to come!

02-01-2009 22:32:07 | More by biegaman
SteveO1231

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Picked up 22oz. bottle from Table & Vine in West Springfield. The bottle features a yellow label. No bottling date.

Pours a murky tangerine with a foamy, off-white head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is super malty, I was expecting more hops but caramelized malts, dark fruits and toffee overpowers hops in the aroma. Hops are pungent, citrusy, grassy and herbal.

Full-bodied as all hell with a slick texture.

Flavor is the same as the aroma, super malty. Full of caramelized malts, toffee, and some dark fruits. Hops are juicy in flavor, citrus, pungent and grassy. Finish is a bit earthy and a lot spicy. Alcohol level is pretty hot in this one, it numbs the palate and warms the belly.

I was expecting a hop bomb but what we have here is a maltster. This one is almost more a barley wine than a DIPA.

Cheers!

02-01-2009 02:30:38 | More by SteveO1231
halfP1NT

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

This review was from August '08.

This beer pours a hazy orange amber. An aggressive pour yields a thin, off-white head that leaves behind some thin lacing.

Smell is caramel and bready malts with a citrus hop aroma. I'm picking up grapefruit and orange and a definite alcohol presence.

Taste mirrors the flavor; caramel and brown sugar, piney, citrusy hops, and a definite alcohol presence. The alcohol is spicy, a bit peppery, but adds a nice dimension. The hops bitterness lingers in my mouth a little, almost a bit puckery. The carbonation is on the low end, which makes the mouthfeel thin, but this beer still packs a big flavor.

A very tasty brew, I wish I could get more Port Brewing stuff on the east coast. Thanks t0rin0 .

01-28-2009 03:15:25 | More by halfP1NT