2nd Anniversary Double IPA - Port Brewing

2nd Anniversary Double IPA2nd Anniversary Double IPA

Port Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: Floydster on 05-03-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Stoneman78:
Stoneman78

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Had tasters at the release party, just opened my week-old growler which has held up well...

Appearance is a murky copper orange hue, thin amount of lively foam (noticed more on draft), watery lacing leaves thin trails

Smell is very strong hops, mostly in the pine, floral, and grassy range, subtle citrus and fruits, sweet malts

Initial taste is a hint of bread/biscuit malts that soon get overtaken by the heft of a pine resin and floral hop army, hints of citrus lead to a sweet finish with a touch of bitterness and modest alcohol presence

Medium-bodied, thick resiny-oily texture that strangely does not linger after the finish, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is moderate, this is for those not afraid of a stiff SD DIPA, might be easier to handle than similar beers due to the subdued alcohol presence and short-lived resin texture,

Serving type: growler

05-11-2008 05:44:36 | More by Stoneman78
harpus

Alabama

03-07-2014 03:43:01 | More by harpus
Mamuda

3.69/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Apparently, this beer is retired, but i tried in Boneyard in Sherman Oaks in Aug, 2013. I was told it is simlar to Pliny The ELDER.. I would agree with this assessment. The head is not that full... Lots of hops...the coloring is somewhat off, a little too blurry for my taste.. Big aftertaste as it is with PTE.

08-19-2013 23:51:49 | More by Mamuda

beerpadawan

08-27-2012 14:25:02 | More by beerpadawan
SalMineo

2.2/5  rDev -44.7%

Before I begin to review this beer I've got to state that I think I had an old bottle of this stuff. I have never seen on any shelf in Massachusetts until today so I thought it was relatively new. I expected an extremely hoppy grapefruit smelling foamy kick in the mouth instead what I got appears to be a more weak barley wine/ancient ale. I

Pour-Almost no foam or carbonation at all which I hate because I love IPAs that are very volatile. The color was that of darker hazy amber. As I pour it now it has absolutely no head.

Smell-I get the overwhelming smell of raisins and dark malts that go into barley wine. I detected no smell of grapefruit or any tropical fruit or citrus for that matter. After reading reviews from other Port lovers I was disappointed I couldn't smell that lovely hoppy grapefruit smell. I detected a bit of caramel in it as well.

Taste-Once again I was completely disappointed with what I got because I bought it in expectations of tasting like a delicious IPA to go with my Hawaiian pizza. What I tasted was again that barley wine style with an overwhelming presence of alcohol in it. It actually burned going down my throat. I got a presences of dark fruit such as raisins and a little bit of caramel. The presence of alcohol just overwhelmed my mouth though.

Mouthfeel-Another disappointment. I was hoping for that excited energized fruity/hoppy kick in the mouth you get from drinking a great IPA. What I actually got was a smooth thin still burn that I usually get with barley wines. I didn't like it at all.

To conclude my thoughts on Port Brewing 2nd Anniversary Double IPA I would like to state a couple of facts. I absolutely LOVE Port Brewing and their IPAs which is why I bought this beer. I expected that awesome IPA taste, smell, and feel (as I have described earlier in my review) that is so good it can get rid of that nastiest of hangovers which I had this morning. I feel like I got a skunked bottle of it which is a major bummer because I wanted Port Brewing to cheer me up and make me feel good. Instead it gave me barley wine which I just don't like at all. I would love to try it fresh or as close to fresh as I can get in the state of massachusetts. If any of guys know where I can get a good batch of this beer in Massachusetts please let me know and I'm sure my next review will be top notch.

04-14-2012 18:26:21 | More by SalMineo

District of Columbia

11-18-2011 17:54:58 | More by nmann08
Gobzilla

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A: poured a golden orange with yellow highlights and a thin head that left a little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: big on citrus which consists of oranges and lemons especially oranges with great piney hoppy aromas with a good malt balance and faint cherry notes. There is also slight mango and pineapple scents as well.

T: very nice citrusy hop pine hop flavor with a grapefruit bitterness with oranges helping the bitter end and a very good malt balance to even out the hop punch.

M: medium body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet citrus bitter finish.

D: this is the best anniversary beer that port has put out. Its better than the 3rd and 4th. Good all the way around on every category. Glad I could get a hold of some more.

06-21-2010 22:48:17 | More by Gobzilla
u2carew

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

22oz Bomber. Consumed 3/16/10.

A) Pours with a finger thick head. Settles quickly to a thin lacing that is semi-sticky. Very hazy body with visible sediment and chunkies. Rusty orange in color.
S) Grapefruit. Orange. Mellow caramel malts.
T) A well balanced malt and hop beginning. Mixes with a noticeable alcohol taste. Hints of black pepper. Finishes more hoppy than malty.
M) Creamy. Medium to full body. Slightly syrupy.
D) A decent brew. The sediment is a turn off.

03-22-2010 21:55:36 | More by u2carew
nickd717

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Bomber from City Beer in SF. I know people are going to shoot me for reviewing a year and a half old double IPA, but looking at the earlier reviews, I don't think this beer has gone downhill all that much. Seems it started off fairly malty and sweet, and this has worked well as it has transitioned to more of a barleywine-like beer.

Pours a brilliant clear amber color. An aggressive pour yields only some bubbles and leaves a small ring around the glass.

Aroma is very interesting and barleywine-like. Caramel and brown sugar, with just a little bit of hop character and some light fruitiness.

Flavor is very malty and sweet. Caramel and brown sugar jump out, along with toffee notes. The hop bitterness is definitely still there, and hops show up on the flavor as mostly grapefruit, resin, and tropical fruits, pineapple in particular.

A little watery on the mouthfeel with somewhat low carbonation. Medium body with some substantial hop oils.

Overall really nice though! I've been on a barleywine kick recently, and this stacks up pretty well if you categorize it as such.

03-07-2010 02:17:43 | More by nickd717
JTahoe

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Hazy peachy-gold with slight head and wispy sticky lace.

S - Lightly tropical with pineapple, grapefruit, and apricot fruits and some biscuit in the background.

T - Gushing citrus and tropical fruit hop flavors flowing on a wave of caramel malt. Slightly sweet with really no bitterness.

M - Very smooth with medium-full body and low but present carbonation.

D - Mellow and very drinkable for a DIPA... watch it.

02-02-2010 05:18:07 | More by JTahoe
bulletrain76

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

22oz bottle. Orange-amber with a medium head that has moderate retention. Lots of green and piney hops in the nose, with some alcohol as well. Moderate sweetness from the malts up front, then hits you with a ton of hop flavor. Not overly bitter, bit the pine quality of the hops hits a little harshly. Finishes with the bitterness quickly replaced by an alcoholic kick in the throat. It all comes together alright, but I do like hop 15 much better. There seemed to be a lot of hot alcohol in the finish that could be rounded a little more. Maybe I was expecting too much out of this, being an anniversary beer, but it just seemed a little harsh and unrefined, though still pretty tasty.

11-12-2009 05:36:49 | More by bulletrain76
jculler82

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

2 fingers of off white, frothy head over a dark amber semi opaque beer. Good looking beer.

The smell was bubble gum, faint alcohol, tropical fruits, and hints of very faint grapefruit.

The taste was mainly a fruity-ness from the slightly overwhelming alcohol. I think that age got the best of the hops, as they were basically non-existent. There was a mild bitterness in the aftertaste, but it seemed to be more bitterness from the alcohol than any remnants from hops.

Mouthfeel was near perfect, nice and creamy with medium carbonation.

Overall, I almost feel bad even reviewing this one because I know that this beer fresh would be a totally different thing than what I had. Never the less, it wasn't bad, just past its prime.

09-08-2009 23:22:50 | More by jculler82
HiAIPA

Maine

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber. Pours a cloudy orange with minimal head. This has a malty bitter nose of beeswax, pine and grapefruit pulp. Taste is similar, with a hearty malt bill, fermented orange and resinous quality. Similar in style to Smuttynose Big A, this is slightly heavier though. Excellent for aging with the malt to stand it up.

08-14-2009 22:55:21 | More by HiAIPA
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Refrigerator aged until 2009.

Pours hazy but bright orange that is much lighter than the 3rd Anniversary here next to this 2nd Anniversary in adjacent pint glasses. Nose is barleywine like with sweet malt aromas, some holiday spices with pine, and maybe something like those chocolate oranges at Christmas. On the palate this may have well just been a barleywine. Hops are subdued and the big malt shines through.

08-05-2009 03:17:09 | More by yemenmocha
philbertk

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Remarks
Thin mild lace white head.Hazy rich bright orange gold color.Big sweet floral hop malt ester grapefruit dough front.Cloying sweet caramel pine bisquit fruit huge hop infused malty body.Hot hop EtOH spice dry puckery end.Big Malty harsh unbalanced Hop Bomb.
Dissappointing

06-13-2009 21:50:35 | More by philbertk
ClockworkOrange

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A 22 ounce bomber bottle poured into my Sierra Nevada shaker glass. Appears an ultra cloudy, bright golden honeyed apricot color, full of hop particulates. The ale is topped off with two fingers of quickly fading cream colored foam. I'm picking up some quite fragrant floral aromas, followed by notes of sweet candied citrus peels, mainly orange and white grapefruit. Huge citrus notes - Toucan Sam would be very proud. Tastes of bitter-sweet ruby red grapefruit juice, a decent amount of caramelized malt to cut the bitterness of the citrus, perfumed orange and tangerine oils, maybe a touch of pineapple, alcohol has faded considerably, but still comes through. This ale falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with more than ample carbonation. After finishing the bomber, I certainly wasn't craving another right away though. This one is a sipper, for me at least. Take your time and savor it.

05-18-2009 03:41:56 | More by ClockworkOrange
Martin2D

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Amber in color with no head

S - Smells of alcohol and bitter hops

T - Very malty on the forefront, and the bitterness of hops afterwards.

M - Medium-light carbonation and medium in body

D - This one really threw me off when I tasted it. It's pretty much a barleywine. While extremely tasty, and much better than Hop 15, it's not really a great example of an IIPA.

04-22-2009 02:03:45 | More by Martin2D