2nd Anniversary Double IPA - Port Brewing

2nd Anniversary Double IPA2nd Anniversary Double IPA

Port Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: Floydster on 05-03-2008)
2.2/5  rDev -44.6%

Before I begin to review this beer I've got to state that I think I had an old bottle of this stuff. I have never seen on any shelf in Massachusetts until today so I thought it was relatively new. I expected an extremely hoppy grapefruit smelling foamy kick in the mouth instead what I got appears to be a more weak barley wine/ancient ale. I

Pour-Almost no foam or carbonation at all which I hate because I love IPAs that are very volatile. The color was that of darker hazy amber. As I pour it now it has absolutely no head.

Smell-I get the overwhelming smell of raisins and dark malts that go into barley wine. I detected no smell of grapefruit or any tropical fruit or citrus for that matter. After reading reviews from other Port lovers I was disappointed I couldn't smell that lovely hoppy grapefruit smell. I detected a bit of caramel in it as well.

Taste-Once again I was completely disappointed with what I got because I bought it in expectations of tasting like a delicious IPA to go with my Hawaiian pizza. What I tasted was again that barley wine style with an overwhelming presence of alcohol in it. It actually burned going down my throat. I got a presences of dark fruit such as raisins and a little bit of caramel. The presence of alcohol just overwhelmed my mouth though.

Mouthfeel-Another disappointment. I was hoping for that excited energized fruity/hoppy kick in the mouth you get from drinking a great IPA. What I actually got was a smooth thin still burn that I usually get with barley wines. I didn't like it at all.

To conclude my thoughts on Port Brewing 2nd Anniversary Double IPA I would like to state a couple of facts. I absolutely LOVE Port Brewing and their IPAs which is why I bought this beer. I expected that awesome IPA taste, smell, and feel (as I have described earlier in my review) that is so good it can get rid of that nastiest of hangovers which I had this morning. I feel like I got a skunked bottle of it which is a major bummer because I wanted Port Brewing to cheer me up and make me feel good. Instead it gave me barley wine which I just don't like at all. I would love to try it fresh or as close to fresh as I can get in the state of massachusetts. If any of guys know where I can get a good batch of this beer in Massachusetts please let me know and I'm sure my next review will be top notch.

SalMineo, Apr 14, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -42.6%

I'm not going to go into an long break down of this one, but I will say that I was extremely disappointed. I held out and found a bottle at Abe's in Bethlehem for $7.25 (it was at Capone's for $15!). I was really excited to pop this one open as I haven't had any port beers (I have had some of their lost abbey beers) and this was highly recommended. For me, it was like drinking bittered ethanol. So bitter that it puckered the mouth and seemed sticky while at the same time not having enough malt to balance out all the hops. Also extremely boozy, especially as it warmed. Very tough to drink. I would not recommend this one, but other people seem to like it so perhaps I got a bad bottle. All I know is that I am not going to throw away more money to find out.

wheelinshirt, Aug 14, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -41.3%

from notes: 9/5/08 Pizza Port 2nd Annv. Ale from a 22 oz. bomber
9.5% abv.

-Zero Head
-Definite alcohol presence. Can really taste the 9.5%
-Dark, deep amber color typical of the style
-Almost hard alcoholish, sharp hot alcohol taste
-Thin mouthfeel, doesn't fill up your mouth.
-Not a big fan of this brew...
-Can definitely smell hops, but not a huge nose on this one
-After taste consists of hops and hard alcohol, ew...
-I would not buy again

I wonder if i got a bad bottle.... I dunno I've had it a few times and I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy...And I like Pizza Port

Grabbin2nd, Nov 22, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -29.5%

This brew was a big disappointment for me. Perhaps my expectations for these "anniversary" offerings are too high. Hop 15 and Shark Attack are both significantly better brews from Pizza Port.

Pours a big brassy orange. Maybe a tiny sliver of foam that settles down to a thin crust and some oily looking bubbling white slicks. Very flat. The The tastefeel is unbelievably sticky and oily. Hop juice, I suppose.

The smell is just a titantic blast of pine and citrus hops. The taste is, again, raw scorching hops. I notice some of the reviews discuss balancing malt: I detect none. Which is fine for some beers, but not when the hop content is so one note and acrid. The real problem here is the utter lack of carbonation. What's going on? Nearly completely flat.

Not my fave.

Overlord, May 11, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -27%

A - The beer pours a copper orange. I got less than a finger of head from an aggressive pour. It looks very viscous, kind of like a barleywine.

S - The beer smells of resin, pine, and citrus. Lots of grapefruit. There is a sweetness that cuts through the hops, suggesting a malty base.

T - This one is kind of all over the place. Very much like the smell, but boozy. This tastes like a barleywine to me.

M - Medium bodied, but very viscous. Somewhat sticky. The beer is very under carbonated.

D - The beer tastes like Dreadnaught gone wrong. Good try, but not quite there.

sessycuban, Oct 26, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -24.9%

purchased 7/24 at city beer store in san fran...

opened 9/4 in charleston south carolina...

my bottle read 9.5 ABV not the 8 listed.

to be fair to this beer, it endured a plane flight. however, it had cold packs and was generally well handled.

i was very dissapointed in this beer. the pliney i brought back was absolutely amazing. this one was lacking.

A: very little head even with a hard pour into a dogfish snifter. zero lacing. deep orange.

S: amaretto, caramel - not getting a lot of hops here. i dry hop my homebrew so i know what to look for:-)

T: sweet, cloying, metalic aftertaste. not a good bitter. too hot.

M: OK I guess

D: i'm barely making it through - considering the drain.

beleive me, i wanted to love this. this is my favorite style and i brought it all the way back from cali - one of 5 bombers. the few i've tried from this brewery have been epic. this one just missed. hopeing i got a bad bottle.

HopDawg, Sep 05, 2008

pwoody11, Sep 02, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Copper and orange color with abundant haze. Looks syrupy during the pour, leaving little head. Only some light froth lingers, with mild carbonation throughout. Tangy citrus nose, predominantly orange, but lacking the piney/grassy quality you expect from the hops. Instead I get more of the malt, which is very sweet, with a cheesecake-like richness. There is plenty of alcohol fume to go along with it. Inviting smell, but also a bit scary.

The taste is both intensely hoppy and strong on caramel malt. I am expecting a massive bitterness, but it stays at a moderate level. A little toastiness in the finish is nice also, but doesn't come through strong enough. The alcohol is less apparent than the smell would suggest, but the beer is still quite heavy, like a hoppy barleywine. It reminds me of the Hop 15 yet it's a bit more harsh and less drinkable. The mouthfeel is as heavy and syrupy as some stouts, making the carbonation feel a bit weak for a DIPA.

Overall this beer is a harsh mess. I was hoping to find some balance, but after finshing the bomber I realize it's just not there. Sure it's an intense and malty Double IPA, and a few folks will go for it. But with so many others out there that are more drinkable, I just can't give this one a passing grade.

bennetj17, Jul 31, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Picked this one up when I was in Philly and decided that the beer would be good for a half of Thursday night football, bomber should suffice.

Poured into Flying Fish tulip glass.
Label and bottle: 6/10

A: Shiny gold color, clear orange. The head with a pretty loose pour didnt amount to much. Lacing- nil.

S: Hops, piney tree hops. Not much sweetness and even from the bottle itself its just a smacking of hops right to the back of your nose and to the brain. Should infuse this into a car deodorizer.

T: If you could drink an evergreen, Id imagine this is what it would taste like out of the food processor. The alcohol burn is beatingly present yet the sweetness which should be robin to the hops batman is not there. The hops dont come across as fresh but again, raw pine.

Given the alcohol, I hesitate to say that the sugars need to be amped up to balance the hops but something in the contsruction needs tweaking.

A rare beer that is brash in terms of both the heat and the hops. Some may love it but I thought it became something of a chore to finish.

M: Dry and somewhat thin. Too dry.

D: This was perhaps overly bitter and piney for me with a painful alcohol tinge, not the most warming. Its a little much on the taste buds and I love the West coast hops as much as the next guy, but hopefully year 3 will yield better results.

Not the best. After swearing as I drank this that it seemed stronger than 8%, the bottle indeed listed it just under 10%, makes more sense. The buzz isnt hidden.

marcpal, Nov 14, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

22oz Bomber. Consumed 3/16/10.

A) Pours with a finger thick head. Settles quickly to a thin lacing that is semi-sticky. Very hazy body with visible sediment and chunkies. Rusty orange in color.
S) Grapefruit. Orange. Mellow caramel malts.
T) A well balanced malt and hop beginning. Mixes with a noticeable alcohol taste. Hints of black pepper. Finishes more hoppy than malty.
M) Creamy. Medium to full body. Slightly syrupy.
D) A decent brew. The sediment is a turn off.

u2carew, Mar 22, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Bomber into an impy pint, the 2nd Anniversary Ale is murky dark copper with a large bubbled, quickly dissipating sand color, leaving scattered lace.

Smell is pungent, resiny west coast hops, some pine and sour citrus, spicy with sweet caramel malt. Far from over the top though, if anything, I'm a little disappointed, as I was geared up for a real hop assault. The label states it's a May release, and while I bought it from a cooler a few weeks ago and have since kept it in the fridge, it's certainly not fresh.

Taste is actually pretty damn balanced for a big DIPA, the malt back bone is pretty heavy, not to sweet, the hops are not as pungent as the nose, very citrusy. Pretty well-rounded, not overly bitter, but with a lingering, spicy finish. Still, I wanted a hop bomb, which it isn't, but since it's not fresh, I can't knock it to much. The alcohol is well blended, but did start to show itself as it warmed, clean but strong.

Mouthfeel is thicker and oily.

Drinkability is OK, pretty smooth and balanced for such a headbanger, but a bit of a let down.

ccrida, Aug 18, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Had both versions on tap. The cask was ugly and it was obvious that it had been bounced around before being served. Tomme Arthur agreed with me on that point and said that happend to most of the beers being served that day. I'll talk about the draught version.

Moderately clear with an interesting golden yellow color. Small head that disappeared. Plenty of CO2.

Lots of hops on the nose but a very smooth soft hops. All citrus, nothing else. It smelled like some kind of pineapple fruit juice or something. Very interesting overall.

Taste was sugary and hoppy. Also some alcohol present. The bitterness was medium/high but its fresh, give it a month and I have a feeling it'll be a completely different beer.

Thick and hearty but too oily in my opinion. The texture combined with the bitterness was kind of distracting in a way. Decent beer all around and quite unique.

t0rin0, May 09, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this one from my buddy BeerTruth. Thank you, ma'am.

So let's see here...a hop bomb methinks. Pours an orange amber color, somewhat hazy. Rich, creamy 2 inches of light tan head on top, which recedes to a pretty full lace but surprisingly does not leave any stick.

One thing about hop bombs, for all their flaws, is they smell amazing. This doesn't disappoint. Alcohol drenched oranges and grapefruits, some peaches, apricots...lots of fruit going on here. Pine hops, too, plus some caramel malt even. Nice.

Taste, unsurprisingly, is over the top. There is some good hop flavor and it's pretty fruity like the smell - lots of citrus especially, and some pine hops, too. But the bitterness overtakes the flavor and it's pretty damn hot, as well. There is a bit of malt there but I wouldn't call it a backbone - it's not sturdy enough to withstand the outburst of hops. As this warms it actually gets hotter (how about that?) - alcohol is just too much for my taste.

Mouthfeel is quite oily and creamy, but the alcohol heat takes away from it a bit. Full bodied.

Another hop bomb, what can I say?. Every now and again I enjoy one, but this one is way too damn hot to really even enjoy that much. I actually had a really hard time finishing this because it was so damn hot. I'll stick to IPAs and DIPAs with more balance.

number1bum, Jun 27, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a hazy copper color. Nice thick head and decent lacing.

S - Big floral and citrus hop smell. Can definitely smell a bready malt which balances the smell and give it a great aroma.

T - Taste is ok, not big a hoppy like I had expected. It's possible that it's an old bottle, but I hadn't seen it on the shelf the week prior so I thought it to be fresh.

M - Good carbonation, still pretty creamy, nice body.

D - Eh, I don't think I will search this out, unless I find out it's fresh on tap somewhere.

surfer4life, Mar 30, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

22 ounce bottle freshly introduced to La Bodega in Riverside, CA in May 2008; tasted almost immediately!!!

I am a huge fan of Pizza Port beers, and couldn't wait for this surprise. The label talks about how much they love hops, and that's certainly a self-evident fact!

Pours a deep, rich golden orange, thick and almost syrupy (OK, that's hyperbole). A tiny head is there just to help prove that it's beer.

Huge hop oil aroma. I don't know what kind or how much is in here, but it's a lot. Grapefruit and sharp bitter resin (tree sap resin) dominate in the flavor. A heavy malty base contributes to a thick, syrupy mouthfeel.

Alcohol burn is way too strong, and the 9.5 ABV seems stronger than some 12% beers I've had. Be warned.

Overall, I actually am disappointed. I love Pizza Port hop bombs, but this one is too much for me. Too much on the oily resin side of life, the fruit opens up as it warms, but so does the alcohol burn- they cancel each other out.

Dukeofearl, May 13, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a cloudy pale color with a nice white creamy head.

Smell is not too pleasing. Orange cream candy, rubber, grapefruit, and some piney aromas. There something here I don't like.

Very sweet start. Crystal malt and lots of it. With some candy orange and pine. Both bitterness and perceived alcohol are high. This is one of those really sweet DIPAs that really lack that fresh in your face hop profiles that San Diego is known for.

Mouthfeel is full and rich.

I don't know if I can drink a whole lot of this. The booziness and the sweetness is a little much at the moment. It really reminds me of a Gordon by Oskar Blues with a lighter color and boozy.

bosco7, Sep 01, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a caramel color with a decent white head which left almost no lacing.

Smelled really nice. Yes, the telltale grapefruit sign of hops is there, but there is some malt to balance it out. I got a floral note out of it as well.

The taste didn't live up to the aroma as far as I'm concerned. The hops were way too intrusive. I know this is supposed to be a hop bomb, but some, even a little bit of balance would be nice. I didn't find that balance in this beer. This tasted like a very one dimensional brew.

Mouthfeel was decent. Thick and smooth, but very flat. It felt dead in the mouth.

I gave this an "average" score in drinkability, because I know there are folks out there who enjoy this sort of hop juice. Personally I finished the bottle but was glad to see it go, I won't be purchasing this one again. However if you tend to like this sort of unbalanced one dimensional over the top hop beer, then you'll love this.

JBogan, Feb 26, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Murky, deep orange with no head to speak of. Some lacing. Not an especially attractive brew.

S: Boozy candi sugar, caramel malt (weird?), floral, intense citrus and pine from the hops

T: Totally insane amount of hops. Overwhelming bitterness that lingers for minutes. The caramel undertones seem a little out of place.

M: Nice slick mouthfeel. Very little carbonation present, almost like it's flat. Hops leave an intense bitterness on the palate that isn't especially pleasant.

D: Not especially drinkable. You can tell its 9.5% abv. Beyond the alcohol, flavor profile is too intense to drink more than a bottle of this.

This is just too overboard for me. One for the uber-hop heads. I'm not sold on it. The flavors just seem too inharmonious. It's worth picking up to try if you're a big DIPA guy, but I'd rather have a Pliny

abfraser, Sep 23, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep slightly hazy orangey color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of strong bitter hops with some distinctive grassy notes. Taste is also dominated by some strong grassy and bitter hops with some notes of citrus thought but as much as expected. There is definitely a malt base but it is hard to say what it taste like with the amount of hops in here. I know that it was the goal to produce a gigantic hoppy beer but still too bitter and one-dimensional for my taste buds.

Phyl21ca, Sep 16, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a modest head that declines quickly; just a few spots of foam on the glass

Smell: Big caramel malt aroma with lots of piney hops; I fear this is going to be one visous and sticky beer

Taste: Very malty up front, with a huge caramel flavor that, once the bitter hops kick in, turns piney, in a very viscous fashion; after the swallow, the two angles of this beer battle it out, Barleywine vs. DIPA, but it just doesn't work very well for me

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and viscous, with moderate carbonation and some warmth on the finish

Drinkability: Perhaps this is just past its prime, but the beer is too viscous, too piney and too alcoholic for it to be very drinkable

brentk56, Dec 20, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Remarks
Thin mild lace white head.Hazy rich bright orange gold color.Big sweet floral hop malt ester grapefruit dough front.Cloying sweet caramel pine bisquit fruit huge hop infused malty body.Hot hop EtOH spice dry puckery end.Big Malty harsh unbalanced Hop Bomb.
Dissappointing

philbertk, Jun 13, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

A-- looked like just about every other DIPA i've come across...except this one had a bit more yeast making it cloudy almost opaque...the yeast does settle quickly though....not much carbonation so very little lacing and head...

S-- fruity hop smells...also hints at oily resinous types of strong hops...little alcohol...i swear i smell banana or something...

T--nice sweet hops...i was surprised really at the tastes in this beer...it seemed bitter but balanced by not malts but a sweet hop of some sort...hard to explain...very tasty

M-- takes a few sips to get used to at first due to what seems like low carbonation...some may consider it almost flat but i feel that its not flat at all...just very fine bubbles for carbonation making it hard to notice until you get a few sips deep if you've had a bubbly beer before it...very smooth

D-- pretty strong so i would probabaly only have one bomber of this guy but i'd rather split it with some one....

i would buy this one again....very nice...i liked how the hops were presented in this one...like i said before...it seems like somehow they found a sweet hop to balance out the bitters...another good one by port

stuckonhops, Aug 05, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Refrigerator aged until 2009.

Pours hazy but bright orange that is much lighter than the 3rd Anniversary here next to this 2nd Anniversary in adjacent pint glasses. Nose is barleywine like with sweet malt aromas, some holiday spices with pine, and maybe something like those chocolate oranges at Christmas. On the palate this may have well just been a barleywine. Hops are subdued and the big malt shines through.

yemenmocha, Aug 05, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

A- No head what so ever, except a little white ring around the edge of the beer. The beer itself is a fairly clear copper/amber color.

S- The smell is very potent, and can be smelled from a distance. Hoppy smell is very similar and what would be expected of a beer of this style and company. Sweet grapefruit smell is very much there.

T- The taste is very bitter, almost salty. The sweet smell didn't transfer to the taste. The hops are very tasty and sharp. The 9%abv leave a burning twinge to my tongue. When I breath in or out I feel like I'm breathing solid alcohol.

M- The burn is a bit of a turn off. I've had quite a few high ABV beers and this one seems to just be too much on the tongue.

D- Despite the burning sensation, this isn't too bad of a DIPA. It seems quite average compared to others of this style.

Wetpaperbag, Jul 13, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Wow, this beer is noticeably viscous and thick as I pour it into my 25cl tulip glass. It pours with a frothy, initially three-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a clear amber color that shows an almost clear, pale copper color when held up to the light. The aroma is sticky with hop notes though there is a fair amount of biscuit-like malt if you start digging around for it. Aromas of tangelos, bergamot, lychee and sweetened grapefruit are noticeable up front, but then a persistent herbal note comes into play that adds notes of pine and some light hemp notes. The malt in the finish provides aromas of crushed soda crackers, crushed pale malt and crushed bread crust. While I certainly can't find a fault with the aroma, I do like hops, it just doesn't seem to sing to me.

Thick and sweet up front, a quick, sharp, biting hop character quickly tames the sweetness and seems to burnt into the palate as an astringent bitterness just lingers on long after the beer has left my mouth. Flavors of bergamot, lychee, and super ripe tangelo juice are accentuated by the up front sweetness. The middle picks up an herbal sense / flavor to it that also has just a hint of hemp as well as a pine sap note. The body of this is perhaps a bit heavier than I would prefer in a Double IPA, but not quite as thick as a Barley Wine should be; this puts this about right for a Strong Ale, which since this is not stylistically called out, sounds good to me. Viscous, with a certain richness and a palate coating quality to it that is just cut by the sharp, herbal, astringent hop notes. The finish can get a little hot at times as the alcohol can definitely be noticeable.

This is one of those brews that is likely too hoppy, even for this hop head; it is just a bit too unbalanced, despite the thick, chewy malt character. This drinks like a big beer; thick enough, with noticeable alcohol and with a massive, biting hop character. Not as unbalanced as I had heard, perhaps it has mellowed some, but still does not have the balance that is even necessary in the hoppiest of beers; I wouldn't be surprised if this peaks within the next three months though.

Gueuzedude, Jun 20, 2008