2nd Anniversary Double IPA - Port Brewing

2nd Anniversary Double IPA2nd Anniversary Double IPA

Port Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: Floydster on 05-03-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
3.6/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler filled at Port Brewing during their 2nd anniversary party. I had a bunch of tasters of it that day and really loved it, probably because I was really in the mood for hops that morning.

This one pours a pretty clear orangish, maybe some slight chill haze with a bubbly white head. I poured a few glasses of this and usually the head is thin and hard to build up, but another time it came out really creamy almost like it was served nitro.

Anyway, the smell is citrus oil, and you can tell it's gonna be a fairly thick aggressive IPA. The taste starts off with a bit of sweetness that is taken over by some very big bitterness, resin, oil, and then finishes with some fruit and citrus hops. Being from the tap, this growler had a nice mouthfeel, pretty carbonated, although somewhat slick from the high amount of alcohol.

It's definitely a big IPA, though it just doesn't hit my favorite flavor profile overall. I absolutely loved it at the anniversary party but it was early in the morning and I was so thirsty for some hops I think it distorted my perception of it. Not bad by any means.

MiScusi, May 31, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours hazy copper, with barely a smidge of head after a stretch-pour. Just enough white foam to cover the surface for the first minute, then fades to a placid surface with zero lacework.

Aromatics lead off with a blend of pungent tropical citrus fruit, pine sap, and resin-spiked honey. Tangerines, sugared grapefruit, mangoe, and forest floor dew.
Sweet malt pulls through as well as some warming alcohol.

Sticky, tacky, mouthfeel. Barely carbonated and a bit cloying.

Oily fruit zest, resinous hop juice, and chewy alphas lead off the pallet. Some caramel malts follow through with a bottom-line bitterness that sustains.

Alcohol begins the finish, along with a somewhat numbing citrus pith bitterness and sappy earthiness.

A top notch hop-bomb except for it being almost flat. Too bad, a correct amount of carbonation would have really allowed the aromatics to blast from the glass and kept the mouthfeel lively.

brewandbbq, May 31, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep ambery body with a thin, bubbly white head.

Smell: Strong citric-smelling aroma full of juicy citrus rinds. Lesser notes of caramel, toast, and grain.

Taste: A maltiness, displaying tastes of toasted grain and caramelized sugars. Then, BANG, it's all soul-crushing bitterness, babies! Some grassiness, but it's primarily citrusy, pithy even. Amazingly, the malts rebound for an even bittersweet finish, although with each consecutive sip the beer grows more and more and more bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: An expertly crafted, big Double IPA hop bomb from Port Brewing. Was there any doubt otherwise?

ChainGangGuy, May 30, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to kinnaird for this one!

Pours a hazy golden amber with little head but a layer of foam stays present to the very end. There is also some really nice lacing left on the glass.

It smells lightly of tropical fruits and honey, also some dusty cinnamon in the nose. Surprisingly not a very aggressive nose for a San Diego IIPA.

The taste is much more flavorful than the nose led me to believe. I feel like I'm biting into an extremely juicy pineapple. This is absolutely great for the summer. There is a nice malt backbone in the middle and a pleasant lingering bitterness.

A nice slightly syrupy sweet mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation.

This is my second favorite IIPA I have had recently. An exceptional beer for the style, well exceptional for any style really.

thickerfreakness, May 27, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Bomber all by my selfish self....

Not much of a head on this and yet the aroma is huge and fruity with honey and brown sugar tinges. The flavor is on the sweeter side of DIPA, lots of dark pineapple and mango with orange and pine needles mixed in. This is SO easy to drink. It coats my tongue with malted hop glory. This is nowhere near as bitter as other DIPA, not on the skunk side, but simply good and delicious. I can't believe this is 9.5%, I taste no alcohol at all.
I need a dedicated beer refrigerator so that I could by loads of this and drink it all summer long!!

ChazMania, May 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Tried this at a tasting of IPA's at Pacific Park Market in Aliso Viejo, after already having purchased a bottle. It was one of the better brews opened, and was in GREAT company including 90 minute, Stone 10th IPA (3L), Dales Pale, Hop Henge, Union Jack, GF West Coast IPA

A- pours a clear amber color with a small head

S- Mostly pine hops and a bit of citrus.

T- bitter piney hops, and a little bit fruity, but not nearly as fruity as Union Jack.

M- Was pretty smooth to me,

D- I would rate this in the top 3 of the 7 beers tasted. I like it better than other Port Pale Ales, including Hop 15, which I am NOT a fan of.

Note that I prefer Malt to Hop, and this was an excellent brew for something so hoppy. I would buy this again.

raiser, May 25, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured this beer out of a bomber that I purchased at Port's Second Anniversary celebration. There was almost no head and what little of it there was, it disappeared within a minute.

A great light amber color. The beer had a pleasantly strong hoppy and fruity aroma. The taste was fairly hoppy and grassy. I was left with an almost nutty flavor on my palate. Towards the end of my pint, the beer's carbonation was almost nonexistent and it resulted in a very flat mouth feel.

Overall a beer worth trying, but definitely not Port's best.

beerlassie, May 23, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: Amber in color with plenty of hop haze, cloudier as the bottle empties. The head begins strong but eventually settles into a thin sheet.

Smell: Massively hoppy: pine and grapefruit are dominant with some undertones of mint and lemon peel.

Taste/mouthfeel: Wow, this is hoppy. The hop flavor runs the gamut; pine, grapefruit, fresh herbs and flowers. A fruity malt flavor is almost noticeable before it's swept away by an almost excessive amount of bittering hops. Balance? What? The body is on the heavier side and carbonation is somewhat lower than I'd like, but it's certainly drinkable stuff. That's assuming you don't mind having your taste buds annihilated, of course. Still, not a bad brew, but I think I'd rather just drink Hop-15.

largadeer, May 23, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

This one pours a clear orange amber with a 2 finger head of foam and some nice sticky lacing.

The smell got to me as soon as I popped the cap. Lots of cararml malt greeted my smeelbuds. Now that I've popped the cap and am holding the glass to my nose, the malt is still there but I get a big dose of piney and grassy hops as well. Overall, the nose is nicely balanced.

The taste agrees with the nose. The malt and hops are really big and about equal. Caramel malt in abundance balanced by some strong piney hop flavour, a bunch of fruitiness that is all over the map, and a noticeable alcohol kick. Tasty for sure but the alcohol is a bit too prevelant for my liking. Maybe some aging will do some good.

It has a medium mouthfeel and the carbonation is on the light side. It finishes with a slightly sweet flavour and more of the alcohol.

Bottom line: This is a bit raw to me fresh and would probably benefit from some aging but as it is, it is still quite tasty and fairly drinkable. I'll have to try it again in the not too distant future because I think it has great potential...

Bitterbill, May 18, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance - The beer was a beautiful, bright orange in color and very translucent. The head was a bit modest and wanting.

Smell - The hops are incredibly heavy at the nose. They are so complex and balanced it is hard to find a standout. Hell, the entire hop profile stands out.

As big and clean as the pine resin is there are still plenty of other hop smells to keep it balanced. The citrus is not sweet at all but very rindy, and there's almost a bit of peppermint in there somewhere. There are some good herbal notes going on as well. It is all very fresh and clean.

The malts do clearly play second fiddle, but they provide a light caramel aroma that reminds you you're not smelling a bag of hop pellets. This truly is a hop nose to write home about.

Taste - The caramel malt comes out just a bit more at the taste. This is good because the hops are explosive. They are thankfully a bit wetter on the tongue, and I do catch a bit more citrus when drinking. Wrap up everything I said about the smell and add some mouth-watering satisfaction to the mix and there you have it.

Mouthfeel - This was the ale's one weak point IMO, and when I say "weak" it is all relative because this is an overall outstanding beverage. Although the style doesn't call for a lot of carbonation, the carbs were still lacking in my book. I would have liked to have seen a bit more body to go along with the super-strong dryness as well.

Drinkability - This beer presents a quandary, because you can't really session it because it's so dry yet after drinking one of these you won't be able to taste Limburger cheese served with roasted garlic and raw habaneros. If you are a true lover of complex versatile West Coast DIPAs though you can't go wrong with this bad boy.

RoyalT, May 18, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a bomber

Color is a slight orange/peach. Surprisingly mild carbonation levels with a thin white head that rapidly runs away yet gets trapped in a clinging lace around the glass.

Big aroma here! Lots of sweet malty goodness abounds! But of course the hops do come assert their presence. Big sweet citrus//tangerine dancing along side some subtle piney aromas everywhere!

The taste, big hop bite yet wonderfully balanced with a large sweet (almost caramel?) malt backbone. Large amounts of piney hops in the taste. Tastes like you're chewing on hop flowers! The alcohol is surely a force to reckon in this department! The finish is great as it contains a massive hop bite coupled with the slight heat of the alcohol.

The brew staggers in the mouthfeel department. Medium/thick bodied with subtle kicks of carbonation. Was expecting more liveliness for some reason.

Coming in at 9.5%, this brew is mighty. While it's certainly drinkable, a pint (or at most 2) would surely suffice. Anything more and you'll be ripping your palette to shreds!

Brewlore, May 17, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a mild orange, with a small white head, great retention, good lacing.

S: Great nose of tropical fruit and tangerine, orange juice.

T: Absolutely delicious Double IPA. The malt is light, gives a bit of a biscuity undertone, but the great part about this beer is the hop character. Pineapple, orange, passion fruit, tropical fruit, guava, papaya, lots of different things going on. The alcohol is there, but it obeys itself and doesn't take over the brew, very well done.

M: The carbonation is quite light, but I thought it really added to the beer, the carbonation is almost that of a cask beer, and it allows the hop flavours to come to fruition in a way that a more carbonated brew could get in the way of it.

D: As the legendary Marty McFly would say, "This is heavy duty Doc, this is great." A fantastic Double IPA, have to go down to Hi-Times to buy more of this while it lasts, if you're in Southern CA where this release is readily available you have to try it, very well done by Port.

Halcyondays, May 16, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Had on tap during the Lupulin Reunulin at the Brickskeller in DC.

The beer pours an attractive peach color with very good head retention and lacing. This beer is very aromatic, and I get mandarin orange, pine and citrus. It smells like a big DIPA, albeit one a bit on the sweet and malty side. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, and again I note how sweet and malty this beer is. While there is plenty of hoppy citrus going on a well, it's the sweetness that seems to stand out. As a result, I have to say I found this beer a bit heavy and tiring to drink with very noticeable alcohol. The beer does have a nice soft mouthfeel and is medium bodied.

This is a good solid DIPA and reminds me very much of the Hop 15. Although I prefer the 15, this is a good beer. I wouldn't call it outstanding, but it was still pretty good.

John_M, May 15, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

Man, I love a tasty DIPA.

Pours a bit flat, but with some noticeable carbonation (we're talking about half a finger that dissipates rather quickly). Very little lacing, but the color is a gorgeous orange-y golden huge.

Aroma is all hops. Tons of citrus fruit, fragrant flowers, maybe a hint of pine, or maybe it's just a suggestion. It's a bit restrained from what it should be thanks to the slightly low carbonation...

But the taste is fantastic. A rolling rich, medium-full sweetness that rides in on a wave of hops. The "C" family is there... orange-y and grapefruit flavors on display.

Mouthfeel is just a tad rich. There's more carbonation than the head would imply, but it could use just a touch of lift. That said, this beer is BONE dry for something so rich. Not a hint of alcohol.

I think a tad more carbonation would make this prettier, enhance the aroma which might nudge the taste up to a perfect 5 and even out the mouth.

Great stuff.

errantnight, May 15, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

Purchased at Vendome Fullerton.

A- Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter, this beer pours a clear orangish-amber color with a small head that quickly settles to thin layer, leaving barely any lacing on the glass.

S- Mostly piney and resiny hops with a sweet, malty background. There's also a slighty pithy aroma of citrus rind. The alcohol really starts to show as the beer warms.

T- A bitter blast of piney hops is quickly overtaken by some malty sweetness, but then the hoppy bitterness resurfaces on the back of the tongue. There is a slight alcohol burn as this goes down, leaving a very dry finish.

M- Thick, oily, and slick, with tiny carbonation bubbles. The beer almost feels like it's fighting my tongue as I swirl it around in my mouth.

D- This is a very viscous double IPA. The alcohol makes its presence known, but I found this to be a very enjoyable beer; it just took me a while to finish a whole bomber.

Tdizzle, May 14, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Standard IIPA fare, with a minimal amount of creamy head on top. Slightly hazy, medium bronze.

S - Hop bomb all the way. Grapefruity, resiny hops. Alcohol slightly on the nose, and little to no malt presence. Standard. Nothing new, but who needs new?

T - Big hops and alcohol up front with a light interplay between some nice caramel malts and hop bitterness on the finish. Quite sweet throughout the drink. Ends slightly dry and oily. Frankly, it's a hop bomb, but a relatively quaffable hop bomb.

M - Slightly syrupy, medium-low carbonation, dry finish.

D - Knockin this one down a couple notches for the ABV, and the hoppiness. This will wreck your palate for the evening.

Notes: Not nearly as oily and resiny as I read, so I'm a bit pleased with it. It of course has a huge hop presence, and finishes quite bitter, but nothing on par with the likes of Hopsickle or anything. In fact, I quite like it. The only aspect of the taste I'm not feeling is the apparent and noticable alcohol. This isn't at all well-balanced, but with a Port Anniversary beer, was anyone REALLY expecting it to be?

It seems there's an issue with the QC of this stuff.

SaucyA, May 14, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

22 ounce bottle freshly introduced to La Bodega in Riverside, CA in May 2008; tasted almost immediately!!!

I am a huge fan of Pizza Port beers, and couldn't wait for this surprise. The label talks about how much they love hops, and that's certainly a self-evident fact!

Pours a deep, rich golden orange, thick and almost syrupy (OK, that's hyperbole). A tiny head is there just to help prove that it's beer.

Huge hop oil aroma. I don't know what kind or how much is in here, but it's a lot. Grapefruit and sharp bitter resin (tree sap resin) dominate in the flavor. A heavy malty base contributes to a thick, syrupy mouthfeel.

Alcohol burn is way too strong, and the 9.5 ABV seems stronger than some 12% beers I've had. Be warned.

Overall, I actually am disappointed. I love Pizza Port hop bombs, but this one is too much for me. Too much on the oily resin side of life, the fruit opens up as it warms, but so does the alcohol burn- they cancel each other out.

Dukeofearl, May 13, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

22oz bomber poured into my lovely Sam Adams beer glass. Clear, bright orange in the glass with almost no head whatsoever. As I swirled, I got some white froth which dissolved into film.
Huge grapefruit aroma. Huge grapefruit taste. This one is all hops...sharp & sticky. Not much malt backbone present, quite thin in the mouth. Very fragrant hop feel in the mouth.
Very drinkable at 9.5%! Can't believe there is enough malt for the abv...

RustyDiamond, May 12, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -29.5%

This brew was a big disappointment for me. Perhaps my expectations for these "anniversary" offerings are too high. Hop 15 and Shark Attack are both significantly better brews from Pizza Port.

Pours a big brassy orange. Maybe a tiny sliver of foam that settles down to a thin crust and some oily looking bubbling white slicks. Very flat. The The tastefeel is unbelievably sticky and oily. Hop juice, I suppose.

The smell is just a titantic blast of pine and citrus hops. The taste is, again, raw scorching hops. I notice some of the reviews discuss balancing malt: I detect none. Which is fine for some beers, but not when the hop content is so one note and acrid. The real problem here is the utter lack of carbonation. What's going on? Nearly completely flat.

Not my fave.

Overlord, May 11, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Had tasters at the release party, just opened my week-old growler which has held up well...

Appearance is a murky copper orange hue, thin amount of lively foam (noticed more on draft), watery lacing leaves thin trails

Smell is very strong hops, mostly in the pine, floral, and grassy range, subtle citrus and fruits, sweet malts

Initial taste is a hint of bread/biscuit malts that soon get overtaken by the heft of a pine resin and floral hop army, hints of citrus lead to a sweet finish with a touch of bitterness and modest alcohol presence

Medium-bodied, thick resiny-oily texture that strangely does not linger after the finish, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is moderate, this is for those not afraid of a stiff SD DIPA, might be easier to handle than similar beers due to the subdued alcohol presence and short-lived resin texture,

Stoneman78, May 11, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Had both versions on tap. The cask was ugly and it was obvious that it had been bounced around before being served. Tomme Arthur agreed with me on that point and said that happend to most of the beers being served that day. I'll talk about the draught version.

Moderately clear with an interesting golden yellow color. Small head that disappeared. Plenty of CO2.

Lots of hops on the nose but a very smooth soft hops. All citrus, nothing else. It smelled like some kind of pineapple fruit juice or something. Very interesting overall.

Taste was sugary and hoppy. Also some alcohol present. The bitterness was medium/high but its fresh, give it a month and I have a feeling it'll be a completely different beer.

Thick and hearty but too oily in my opinion. The texture combined with the bitterness was kind of distracting in a way. Decent beer all around and quite unique.

t0rin0, May 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -3%

Picked this growler up at the PP 2nd Anni. I had a blast, and everyone was way cool.

A- Clear light copper golden color. kind of like a brand new penny. There was a modest 1/2" head upon pour that dissipated to just a a thin rim. Slow, few streamers to the top.

S- Hop oilyness, slight citrus, perfumey, a little hay. Overall- hops, hops, hops.

T- Hop punch to the taste buds. Not the hopppiest beer I've had (Hop 15) but flavor profile is dominated by hops, with some spiciness. Reminds me of my first, and only time I bit off a little piece of a hop pellet.

M- Oily, chewy with some carbonation.

D- If you like hops or DIPA's you should enjoy this one, as I did. However, this is not a sessionable beer for me, as illustrated by the fact that I am still drinking out of this growler 4 days after getting it filled.

m1ked, May 08, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

This is a growler filled the day of the event. I've had this on cask, as well as on tap, but have yet to crack open a 22oz. bomber of this hop-bomb for comparison. Both the draught and cask version kick serious ass.

Poured from the growler into a snift, was an awesome orange amber-gold with 1/2" of ivory head that was short lasting. Small traces of sticky lace and mild carbonation are on hand.

A big, piney hop slap is in your face and in your nose...sweet and pungent. Malt burried in citrus comes through as the pine settles a bit. Hop shortage? You wouldn't think so, judging by the smell of this hop happy brew...honestly, like being in the High Sierra's, Pacific NW, etc., a very dense pine forest aroma and then some!

Big, bold, tasty and hoppy as hell, this is the style of a hop riddled San Diego championship type beer. A sweet malt that's quickly overpowered with bittering and floral hop resins, then some how tones down with a balanced, grapefruity finish. You just gotta taste it, spendid!

Medium-plus body, ample carbonation and the rather high ABV of 9.5% is hidden deep, almost undetectable in the taste.

A solid 2X IPA that sets an example of why this region continues to rock the world of fine beer.

Happy Anniversary PBC/TLA!

scottoale, May 06, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had two tasters of this today, one on cask and the other on tap, this version was much better for some reason, would not have reviewed this from the handpump because the score would have been so low, poured into a Port Brewing pint glass

A-Golden amber color that was more on the orange side, 1/2 inch soapy white head that settled pretty quickly, not much retention, small amount of lacing

S-Piney hoppiness, resin, semi-fruity malt backbone, bread, floral accents, and a fair share of citrus

T-Started off with some up front hops with a bit of a floral feel, some bready and sweet malt in the middle, could not figure out what the faint fruity taste was, very tangy finish, would have liked for it to be a little dryer with more of a pine feel like the aroma leaned towards, pretty well balanced, certainly double the malt but I do not know if I could say the same about the hops, glad to see they are brewing more IPAs again though

M-Tangy, dry, and bitter mouthfeel, medium level of carbonation and could have definitely used more, a little syrupy, could have been better if it was served colder, taste lingered for quite a bit

D-Heavy on the stomach for a hoppy beer, ABV is high even though it is not very boozy, smooth for the most part, could drink a pint or two though probably

Ended up pouring the contents of the cask out and trying it this way, not a bad double IPA but not one of the best I have had, their Hop 15 puts this to shame, bought a bottle of this for eight dollars and will probably drink it in the next week or so, will add to the review if there is major differences, worth trying

Floydster, May 04, 2008