6th Anniversary Double IPA - Port Brewing

6th Anniversary Double IPA6th Anniversary Double IPA

rAvg: 4
Port Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 05-12-2012)

4.98/5  rDev +24.5%

Bottled 5-16-12.

Five months old now but this is just fantastic. Cloudy golden color that I love, with very nice head, though dissipates quickly. Incredibly fragrant, with massive blast to the nose of multiple flavors, some sweet but mainly sour, but very appetizing. A full meal is in store here. Taste is superb, combining both malt and hops, but emphasizing a nice blend of the latter. Similar to Mongo but slightly sweeter and bigger. This is a huge, potent beer, almost too potent, but it lights up the palate like Mozart or the Beatles light up the speakers. Bright, complex, and a party in the glass.

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great DIPA. I can't say i've ever had an IPA as intensely fruity as this one. Love it. Looks like hazy dull orange with a solid head. Strong smells of tropical fruit, papaya, mango, pineapple, orange, citrus, and sweetness. Tastes just like it smells. Intensely fruity hop flavor plays along with a solid but not overbearing biscuity maltiness. Intense flavors of orange, papaya, sweet mangos, and a nice zesty bitterness with very little pine flavor. Massively fruity but not too much. Sometimes I thought it was orange juice. Mouthfeel was good with a medium to heavier body and medium carbonation. Alcohol was very well hidden at a whopping 10%.

I think this is a very unique DIPA because of the immense fruit hoppiness. The price was good and is very fresh. I loved this one and will be buying a few more. I'm actually kinda curious to see what happens to all the fruit flavors as it ages a while. Mad scientist mode...

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 220z bottle bottled on date 5/16/12

A - A cloudy sediment filled bright yellow, with the biggest head I have ever seen! 3 fingers at least, and sticky lace left all over the glass. Perfect looking brew!

S - Huge hop nose! Heavy on the citrus front. But bitter as well. Grapefruit

T - Tasty! A good balance between the citrus and bitter hops. Grapefruit.

M - Medium to full bodied, high carbonation. Smooth

O - As good a west coast DIPA out there. Highly suggest grabbing this one. It is still amazingly fresh, 6 months old

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poor Port Brewing. They have been getting slammed lately for everything from big ugly floaties to poor carbonation levels to bottle dating to....you name it. I love Port Mongo. One of the best DIPA on the market year in and year out. After the Hop 15 debacle I started to wonder if there were issues. So today when I grabbed one of these Anniversary Ales off the shelf at my local WF I did wonder if there were issues that hadn't been resolved.

Apparently the issues are being resolved. This brew pours a gorgeous hazy orange. The head is thick, at least two fingers worth of sticky dense cap that leaves insane sticky curtains of lace as I drink down.The nose is ripe mango,tangerine, and red grapefruit, fantastic nose. The Flavors are in tandem with the nose, huge resinous grapefruit, oranges, mango and apricots with just the right touch of sweet maltiness on the back end to keep the huge hop profile in check. The 10% abv is scarily tucked away no where to be found, proceed with caution.

The mouth is insanely gripping, bitter hops, pine resin, dry but worthy of that next sip, so good.

Bravo Port, faith restored. This is a damn good DIPA, PERIOD !

4.48/5  rDev +12%

Bottled on 5/16/2012, purchased today at Whole Foods in Redondo Beach, CA. Served up cold in a Duvel tulip.

A - Might have shaken it up a bit on the car ride back, but the head is outrageous. At cap level when opened and when poured takes up about 2/5 of my glass. Off white head sits on top of an opaque orange body. No lacing, but splatters of head residue on the glass.

S - You can certainly smell the hops in this one. Oh boy, fruity hop fragrance (citrus, lemon, piney, pineapple).

T - Citrusy hops upfront, malt in the middle, and a little bitter on the finish. Tastes of grapefruit, lemon, pine, mango, peach, and pineapple all surrounding a soft and almost undetectable caramel and milk chocolate undertone. Serious hop bomb, I'm burping up hop gas every couple sips.

M - Dry with good/moderate carbonation.

O - Pleasantly suprised by the hoppiness despite the 7 month age. I'm really glad I tried this one and if you haven't already and have the chance don't hesitate. As far as an in-your-face hoppy beer, this far exceeded my expectations.

4.46/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy golden yellow - looks hearty. Easily two fingers of head at pour - creamy - retains the head well - a good layer of head remains on top even after a few minutes of settling. Smells of piney, floral hops and slightly bready. Taste is thick - head remains. Bitter piney hops up front stays strong but yields a slight caramel sweetness towards the back.

4.46/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5/16/12 bottle I bought about a couple months ago at Grapevine Liquors in Denver, marked down from $8.99 to $5.99. "Great but fading fast now," said the main beer dude (Chris?). One of the things I like about this shop is they mark down big hoppy beers as they get older. Consumer sentiment is so in the nature of "gotta drink this within minutes of release or don't bother" that I guess he has no choice...

Anyhow I forgot I had it and so another couple months of alleged decline occurred before I noticed it in the back of the fridge last night and said "What the hell?"

Ratings are as noted, I'll just say that although the hop aroma may be a little muted the hop flavor is still big and piney with a little citrus lurking in the background; that the bready malt is right where I'd like it to be, present but not by any means "in balance" with the big hops, even after all this time, the alcohol at 10% is unnoticeable (in a blind tasting I'd probably have estimated it at about 7-7.5%) and that I'd drink all of this I could get at $5.99 a bottle if he still has any, which I don't believe he does.

A LOT of yeast settled to the bottom, ended up in my third pour (I use a little 25 cl Delirium Tremens taster glass on bombers and 750s, works out to 3 glasses each), no biggie to a homebrewer like me

Ten month old DIPAs, if marked down like this, may be my new thing.

6th Anniversary Double IPA from Port Brewing