Join our email list →

Awaiting 10 Reviews

pDev: n/a
Harmon Restaurant & Brewery
Washington, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: sockeye101 on 09-22-2006

Reviews by sockeye101:
2.32/5  rDev n/a

Wow...wow...and wow. But now wow in a good way...wow in a bad, bad way. Harmon has yet to disappoint but this limited release beer is best left unreleased in my opinion. I found the 22oz bomber at Stadium Thriftway in Tacoma the label describes it as 'Ale' and 'Small Batch Brewed' and 'Brewers choice brewed in limited quantities". I was really looking forward to this one.

The color poured a beautiful deep amber/orange color with a nice head and some lacing. A tiny bit of particulate was present. Smell was also very nice, light, crisp, frity, floral. I was expecting a nice solid ale. But then the first sip just about floored me. I just keep drinking and sipping and trying to put my finger on what exactly I'm tasting, and I still don't know. There's a flavor that I've never experienced, and it's not good. There's a bitterness up front and then it's just obliterated by this peppery, dirty, earthy, kind of moldy taste that just lingers there. It gives way a bit to a bitter aftertaste but then when that's gone the same odd taste lingers in your mouth for quite a while.

I have no idea what they were trying to do, or if this was a bad bottle, or what. But stear clear of this, Harmon has so much more to offer than this. I plan on contacting to brewer to see just exactly what he was thinking and if indeed I got a bad bottle.

Harmon's Special Ale from Harmon Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.