Puget Sound Porter - Harmon Restaurant & Brewery

Ratings: 64 | Reviews: 29
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.88/5  rDev -22%

Sampled at the Harmon Brewery. This one was fairly think, clear, and black with a lot of slightly burnt coffee in the flavor, with a hint of toffee. It has a mild coffee aroma and a slightly bitter aftertaste. It was a little disappointing but not bad.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Poured a pint glass at the Harmon Tap Room in Tacoma.
Appearance is dark. Nice head. Good lace.
Nose and taste up front is chocolate. Very smooth.
This is a very delicious porter - not my favorite style but would be if they were all this good.
Liked it so much I got a growler to go.
Additional comment: Harmon doesn't go "big" with their beers. I give them points for doing an exceptional job of meeting their objective.

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a finger and half of tan head on a black body.
The aroma is mostly roasted malt and burnt wood, really nice.
The flavor is balanced and deep, roasted malt, burnt malt, charred wood, and mild bitter finish.
The texture is smooth with low to moderate carbonation.
An outstanding porter.

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark, near black red brown amber. Very light tan head and no lacing. Delicious chocolate and chocolate up front with a malty middle and nice smooth finish with light hops. I like this and consider it well done. Not an thick imperial porter, and agree with other reviewers that this is a somewhat understated, but nicely made and enjoyable porter.

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%

Having never heard of Harmon (so sue me), I saw a bottle of this at the local beer store and thought I'd give it a try.

Poured into the only clean beer glassware available (pint), the smell of coffee and a bit of chocolate is what I first noticed.

Very little head on the beer - 1/2 inch at most.

It reminds me of Black Butte's little cousin.

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%

Harmon Brewing 'Puget Sound Porter' @ 5.4% , served from a couple of 650 ml bottles purchased for $6.50 each

A-pour is cola brown from the bottle to a dark brown in the glass with some ruby red peeking thru the good size tan head leaving a sticky lace along the pint

S-cocoa , roasted coffee

T-creamy chocolate milk tasting porter , very little bitterness

MF-ok/good carbonation , feels stronger than a medium body

Ov-ok/good beer , decent American porter

prost LampertLand

3.57/5  rDev -3.3%

From tap into pint glass.

Appearance - This recipe has to have changed since eballard's review of "This beer comes a dark black color. So dark that you can hardly see any light pass through it at all." As of this writing the beer is a clear (see through) brown.

Smell - Big time coffee aroma! Really nice job getting that aroma out of the malts used.

Taste - Caramel malts possibly? Nice tasting beer.

Mouthfeel - not much to report. Average mouthfeel.

Drinkability - perfectly drinkable beer.

This is clearly a different recipe than has been reviewed by some others. I know that the brewer told me he changed the recipe for the Rajah IPA from 2006 to 2007. Did he change this recipe? Did the bartender pour me a brown instead of the porter? I don't think so. She asked me if I wanted the vanilla Porter or the regular and I said the regular so I'm sure she was paying attention. Bizarre.

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a dark brown with a small khaki head, and some lacing.

smell is of strong coffee, cocoa, and roasted nuts.

taste is tart, sour malt, some cocoa, and some coffee, end is overpowering with the tartness, and a little dry.

overall not that bad, would like less tart/sour and more on the coffee.

3.37/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark red brown in the pint shaker. A decent foam with nicely spritzy mouthfeel. Warm and malty with a surprisingly robust sweet character. The roasted malt is joined by a winey taste. Brewed with a big variety of malts and rated at 40 IBUs.

The hops come on the scene but don't take over. A charred grainy flavor at the end. The malty nose is quite pleasant. A scratchy tang in the aftertaste along with the hoppy bitterness. Quite drinkable but nothing of great interest. On tap at the brewpub in downtown Tacoma.

At flyIng goat

A: dark coffee brown. Bordered cherry hued. Rare lace.
S: dry nutty and coffee grounds over a nice creamed oatmeal.
T: taste follows nose and is quite nice. Well done, clean.
M: velvet. Smooth and silken.
O: good job. This is a really nice porter.

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Light roast aroma with malty sweetness underneath. Just a hint of citrus hops.

Dark brown with ruby highlights. Nice full 1/2 inch tan head that last for about the first 3rd of the pint.

Good malt flavor with solid but not overbearing hop bitering. A little bit of roast flavor but not as dry as a lot of examples of the style.

Medium bodied with good carbonation level. Lively and a little fizzy in the mouth.

Overall a good porter. I would prefer a little more roast but there's nothing really to complain about in this one.

3.17/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: quite solid black with a 1-finger foamy tan head which has nice retention.

Smell: lots of coffee and chocolate, plus a creamy character which almost makes this thing smell like a frappuccino. Quite appealing!

Taste: lots of coffee plus a tart/astringent character. Chocolate comes in at the end. Citrusey tartness is not what I'm looking for in a porter, but the other flavors are nice. I have had this beer in the past without this tartness, and I know it's a good beer. However, for the time being, I have to rate it based on this bottle.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied with appropriate carb.

Drinkability: after the smell, I was really looking forward to having this beer again. But this tartness really doesn't work with either the style or my taste buds; as I said, I think I have a bad bottle. I will review this in future with a different batch. If they really can make it taste as good as it smells (which I seem to remember from lo those many moons ago), this would be one of my favorite beers.

2.65/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Rich, deep brown. Forms a rocky tan head that clings to the glass in sheets. Drops to a small, chunky cap with a sizable collar that persists. Nice smooth pour.

Smell: When pouring the beer in to the glass a sharp oxidized aroma came back at me. Here's hoping it was a fluke. Hints of cocoa and chocolate malts. Underlying old coffee with bit of grassy finish. Big push of sherry-like oxidation. Almost medicinal at times. Lactic and vaguely fruity. Almost like a chocolatey wine. Brownie batter and tart cherry. Mild roasted character.

Taste: Under the rampant oxidation are layers of cocoa, milk chocolate, and chocolate malts. A nice roasted malt profile with underlying hints of coffee bean. Some grassy, almost herbal hop notes as well. Building malty sweetness. It's all there, but as it warms the sherry and tart cherry flavors dominate. Almost vinous with a decidedly bitter finish. Raw and earthy. Some deeper chocolate notes round it all out.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation is pushed up to just shy of high thanks to the poor QC. Body runs right down the middle but thins out as the beer warms.

Overall: Clean up the water.

I don't know who is responsible for QC for these guys, but this is the second beer that never got warmer than cold and failed to not oxidize and fail. It has the potential to be a decent porter, but if they keep churning out bottles like this, I won't be seeking them out in future trades.

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Pours a very dark brown/ black color. Root beer highlights when held up to a lamp. The head is creamy and mocha colored, but dissipated quickly.

S - Very oat and roasty smelling. Like coffee and oatmeal. Faint hints of cocoa and tobacco.

T - Very mild at first, but the flavors build as the sip moves across your tongue and down your throat. Creamy and biscuity at first, then a wave of roasted coffee hits you but it is not very bitter, still some sweet creamy tastes there. There is a slight suggestion from the hops, but there is no bitterness to speak of on the tongue. Cocoa, leather and tobacco round things out, again without much bitterness. Very malty and mild, with a nice finish.

M - Thick, creamy, chewy, almost has the feel of being on nitro. The carbonation is present but does not tickle the mouth for very long.

O - A very mild porter. With so many "big" and "extreme" beers, it is refreshing to have a nice, mild, well executed beer. This is not a porter that will blow your socks off, nor is it one that I would go out of my way to get again, but it is solid. Next time I am in the Seattle area and I see it, I'll probably order one. It is a good beer, not phenominal, but good.

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer comes a dark black color. So dark that you can hardly see any light pass through it at all. It has a light off color foamy head. There is a rich sent with a hint of chocolate. A beer has a distinct roasted flavor with heavy chocolate after taste. A very tasty beer. It has a creamy feel with a slightly hard bite at the end. This was a great beer. I’d enjoy it all by it self or with some of the free shelled peanuts that the Harmon serves.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

I will admit a very strong bias towards the style of porter. I love it. Could be my blue-collar roots, could be it's because Blackhook was the first dark beer I truly loved, I don't know. What I do know is that I tend to judge most breweries on the quality of their porter. If they don't have one (or have a bad one), I don't tend to drink their beers at all (Deschutes would be a notable exception to this rule, as I drink the crap out of Cinder Cone, but do not care for Black Butte at all). Fear not, citizen, Harmon makes a spectacular porter (one of the top two in the Puget Sound, as far as I'm concerned).

Appearance: Murky, unfiltered, deep, dark, swamp water brown. Mild off-white head that disappears fairly quickly after I empty the bottle into my glass. Held up to the light, there are light brown hints around the edges. This is how I figure porters truly looked back in 18th and 19th century London.

Smell: Mmmm...malts. No hint of hops whatsoever. It almost has a caramelly smell, with a very faint hint of roasted malt bitterness in the end. Very, very nice.

Taste: Understand, the historical background of porter fascinates me. This beer has its roots in the unhopped British ale tradition, with wood-fired malts and local water. Starts off with a small bit of malty sweetness in the beginning (again, back to that caramel or brown sugar sensation), then just sits on the tongue with this marvelous Kahlua-esque presence of alcohol warmth and coffee bitterness. I love this beer.

Mouthfeel: Too thin, and a porter is just wrong. Too thick, and you cross over into stout territory. This occupies that vaunted viscosity middle ground that I love so very much in my session beers. Perfect, I say, perfect.

Drinkability: Hard '5' from me on this one. I can session the crap out of this beer, and have on many, many occasions. I was a little forlon the last time I popped into Harmon, as they were out of the porter, so I had to settle for the ESB (which I like very much as well). It's all for the best, really, as I'm sure I would have drank too damn much of it anyway.

3.22/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 22oz brown bottle at 45 degrees
A - With a gentle whoosh from the plain black cap a slow pour yields a small tightly bubbled whit head atop a cola-brown ale.

S - Strong coffee aromas are detected at approximately 3 feet away. Sweet scents of cooked vegetables are noticed as the snifter is brought closer to get a whiff. A toffee-ish cocoa-caramel aroma also seems to surface, but it is elusive.

M - Mild, medium roasted and medium bodied feel with gentle carbonation.

T - Toasted buttery caramel and grainy brown malts begin the taste experience. Bready flavors with herbal hops adding a dash of spice. A generally sweet porter, about one step away from a brown ale with gentle roasted malts adding a tinge of depth.

D - A pretty basic beer, about what you might expect from your average porter. I am a porter fan, but this ale is pretty ordinary. Worth a try, but I would not seek it out.

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%

Harmon Brewing Company--PUGET SOUND PORTER--Brewed With 8 Different Malts. A SMOOTH Well Balanced Dark Beer--2011 22 oz. Bottle. 5.40% ABV. 40 IBU's. (4.0 / 5.0) Brown Porter. Dense mild lace thick dark tan head. Sediment hint. Pours medium tich with dark ruby brown color. Opaque dark black color. Rich floral chocolate hop based roasted mild coffee front. Medium textured mildly silky creamy smooth roasted burnt not bitter doughy chocolate rich tasty Porter body. Crisp zesty mild hop spice refreshing light lingering cocoa end. Very tasty nice fresh smooth Brown Porter. Sampled 3/7/2011. Purchased for $4.50 at PCC--Greenlake, Seattle on 3/6/2011.

4.41/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A draught pint from the pub, the house Porter looks exactly like the Vanilla seasonal. Muddy, very dark garnet, with small off-white collar and wispy surface skim. I ordered with still about 1/3 left of the vanilla seasonal, so that I can properly compare. On the surface, they're remarkably similar, but a closer inspection reveals to very different beers.
Because I'm relaxing at the pub and just reviewed the Vanilla seasonal in some depth, I'll focus on the differences between the two here.

The smell is brighter, sweeter chocolate then the vanilla porter, and more attractive to me.

The taste is also sweeter chocolate, and has more depth of complexity then the vanilla version.

The mouthfeel is lighter and creamier, not thin, but less oily.

Overall, this is an excellent porter. Big, enjoyable taste, and moderate ABV at 5.4%, I could drink these all night...in fact I just might! =)

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

clean, thick, and dark in appearance. creamy head. mild nose - hints of roasted chocolate. full in the front of the mouth with rich character, but slim on the finish. overall good porter, easy drinking and not overbearing, but a touch lean to be exceptional.

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I bought a bomber of Puget Sound Porter in a bottle shop. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an opaque black color with a bubble tan head.

Smell is a very strong coffee aroma.

Taste is a dark roasted coffee flavor. There is a coffee flavor upfront, followed by a mild sweetness and a dry bitter charcoal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly cloying.

Overall a nice dark roasty flavor porter.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

From a 22 oz bomber poured into a goblet

A - pours dark brown, with a light, off-white foam, and leaves a fairly thin lacing around the glass. Pretty porter-like.

S - A nice nose of coffee, cake, and bittersweet chocolate will entice your curiosity. Starting to look promising.

T - Mmm...very smooth, and flavorful for a session beer. Lots of smooth coffee, roasted malts, and a bit of chocolate brownie. The hopping on this one is done just right, and makes for one drinkable dark brew.

M - Medium/Medium light bodied. Seems about right, though I think it could use just a hair more body in this area.

D - This is one of the most drinkable Porters I've come across. Absolutely perfect for sessioning!

Overall - A very solid, and local (to me) Porter I'll be happy to drink again. I'll have to try this one on tap soon.

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle acquired as an extra in a trade with SuzyGreenberg, thanks for the opportunity Ben, drank tonight and split with my dad, poured into my Stone pint glass, color is a dark brown, one inch bubbly light tan tan head that lasted a few minutes, aroma consists of piney hoppiness, brown sugar, toasted malts, roasted barley, oats, and burned bread, taste was sweet malt and lots of milky cocoa up front, grainy through the middle, slightly dry with bine and roasted bitter malts in the finish, gets a little sweeter as it warms and the barley really comes through, thin body for a porter, moderate carbonation, slightly sweet and dry, taste did not linger, mouthfeel was definitely the downfall of this brew, drank ten or so ounces and that was enough, can be filling, not much alcohol in the taste at all, just heavy stuff in general with a light feel, when I drink a beer that makes me stuffed, I want it to be thick and full but this failed to do that, had not never heard of this one before, first beer from this brewery too, might be worth trying

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a dark brown with good carbonation and a dirty white head. Nose is coffee, roasted malt, cocoa. Taste follows the nose pretty closely with roasted malt hitting first, coffe and then cocoa. Nice roasted feel, booze is barely noticable here. Very drinkable but not a very smooth drinking porter. Tasty but not a go to prter for me from the bottle but on draft I love it.

3.42/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a nearly solid black, just a bit of translucence, and less than 1/4 inch of tan head that had low retention and very light lacing.

The aroma had some nice base grains, and a nice amount of roast. The flavor was very similar, and pretty typical for the style, and hit all the right notes. The body was nice and smooth, with a dry finish.

Drinkability was good, you could easily have a few of these when the Porter jones strikes. Overall, a very good, solid brew. You won't go wrong quaffing a few of these.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »