Peeping Peater Scotch Ale - Port Townsend Brewing Company

good

Port Townsend Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by deanhead:
deanhead

Vermont

3.28/5  rDev -12.5%

I couldn't pick up much peat or caramel in the nose. Very little hop presence here in the aroma.
This beer poured a magnificent rich mahogany color, with a head the dissipated rather quickly despite my aggressive and almost over zealous pour. The color of this beer was dead on to the style.
I picked up a roasted coffee taste with my first few sips. I expected much more caramel, and toffee given the color of this beer. The finish was with a subtle combination of peat and toffee.
This beer was good, but it emanated more coffee and roasted notes then I care for in this style. It was a nice medium bodied beer none the less. Again given the color I would have expected something a little chewier than this.
With that said it at 7% ABV it is still a highly drinkable beer. It's worth a try.

11-16-2007 20:26:57 | More by deanhead
RoyalT

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance – This one is a dark, murky brown in color with that typical “wee heavy” head that came up nicely then disappeared rather quickly.

Smell – The peat is heavy here. It is mated with a grainy kind of malt. The malts are big and complimented with some sour mesh-like sweetness.

Taste – The peat flavor is nice and so is the sweetness. The sugars are sticky and very granular. Again, they are like that sweetness you get from Southern Comfort. The malts though are a bit rough and grainy.

Mouthfeel – This is a bit bigger than medium-bodied with a slight alcohol warmth and a light bitterness at the finish. The carbonation was moderate and very pleasant.

Drinkability – I really enjoyed this bomber. They did a good job of nailing the style.

03-15-2005 02:11:58 | More by RoyalT
Mora2000

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a murky brown with a minimal white head. The aroma is peaty, with some sweet malt and caramel. The flavor is more peat with sweet malt, toffee and caramel. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation.

02-02-2010 19:46:19 | More by Mora2000

3.75/5  rDev 0%

05-30-2013 17:47:33 | More by papat444
champ103

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

A big thanks to Dajtai007 for the trade.

A: Pours a nearly opaque reddish/brown color. At first a two finger beige head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Toasted malt up front and center. Lots of toffee sweetness and dark fruits. Raisins, plums, and cherries. An excellent malty aroma. Some alcohol as well. Very well incorporated.
T: Follows the nose. Lots of toasted malt and toffee sweetness. Dark fruits that follow the nose. Very nice.
M/D: A medium to full body. Fairly low on the carbonation, but not under carbonated at all. Creamy and smooth as well. Very easy to drink. The bomber is gone in no time.

Very nice. I really enjoy this, maybe not one of the best examples of the style, but just shy of the top tier. Something I recommend.

10-07-2010 02:13:58 | More by champ103
ssteakley

3.75/5  rDev 0%

My first Scotch Ale. Did not know what to expect but I did not waste happy hour on this one.My rating is just a first shot since I will need a few more different scotch ales to compare. Start to finish this is a good beer and I'm looking forward to the next one.

11-27-2013 01:50:22 | More by ssteakley
froghop

3.45/5  rDev -8%

pours a semi-hazy dark copper with a thin beige head, and some lacing.

smell is of caramel, roasted nuts, malt, and some pear.

taste is somewhat oily, a little coffee, malt, brown sugar, the sweetness of caramel, and just a little cocoa, end is slightly bitter.

12-28-2008 17:46:54 | More by froghop
Anew

12-12-2011 15:22:26 | More by Anew
Donkster46

07-31-2014 03:50:22 | More by Donkster46
wcuberos

4.05/5  rDev +8%

Little to no head when you pour it and clears the class when you drink. Full mouth feel when you take a drink and has a malty sweet smell. It has a taste of faint coffee and chocolate and the taste lasts on your tounge

This is the first beer I've tried from Port Townsend and I'm realy impressed. I'l be giving them another try and hopefully the rest of the beers measure up.

01-10-2010 07:46:30 | More by wcuberos
beertaster13

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Beer pours a nice dark brown with a nice inviting head. The smell is strong of toffee and liquor. Some sweet syrup sugar is detected. The taste is of deep roasted almonds with a nice toasty rich bread. A hint of molasses and deep dark chocolate. Goes great with a dessert, or even a celebratory stogie.

11-07-2005 22:00:22 | More by beertaster13
TheJollyHop

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer gushed unidentifiable white matter, much like a party popper, upon cracking off the top. Okay...

Pours a clean, red tinged dark brown with very little head. Scents of peat, smoke, and caramelized notes. Toasted almonds with a caramel finish that is preceded by some alcohol warmth. Bitterness builds early in the taste.

Milk chocolate front, light smoky peat middle; definitely umami. Bitterness balances without overpowering. Low to medium carbonated, full bodied and tongue coating. Clean, rich, and delicious.

08-13-2010 01:11:40 | More by TheJollyHop
loren01

Oregon

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a reddish brown color, very small head and no lacing down the glass
S: Smell is very sweet and malty. Nice roasted barley scent
T: Taste is very sweet and malty up front. Very slight hop bitterness at the back end.
M: Mouthfeel is medium to thick, slightly warming on the aftertaste although you don't really taste much alcohol.
D: Probably my favorite beer that Pt. Townsend does, I buy this one regularly and get it whenever I can when on tap.

06-20-2009 01:53:46 | More by loren01
Knuckles

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

The family and I head up to Port Townsend from time to time, typically to futz around at Fort Worden State Park, but also to wander around the downtown to go shopping and stop in at Water Street Brewing for lunch (beerfly review of that place to follow). One thing I've never ever done, however, is stop in at the Port Townsend Brewery to check it out and/or have a beer. I decided to rectify that issue. I ran in, picked up a bottle of their stout and their scottish, and ran out.

Apperance: Gorgeous, deep ruby color but absolutely no head. It's to the point where I'm almost shaking the bottle as it pours into the glass, while I desperately try to raise a head out of it, but it's no go. My birthstone is ruby, which I've always found kind of lame, but if this color could be my birthbeer color, I'd be all over it.

Smell: A wee hint of peat in the nose, but totally dominated by the malty sweetness. Not too shabby...

Taste: Huh. Almost has a weird porter-esque quality to it. I expected a real peaty front end, but actually got roasted barley instead. I'm a bit confused by the whole thing. The maltiness is nice and not overpowering, but does add the sensation that it's packing more ABV than it's stated 7%. A nice, alcoholic warming quality, that picks up the peat mantle just in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Well, I think this is where it falls flat. Very, very thin. Tastes like a keg beer served on cask, no bottle conditioning whatsoever. Like Charlton Heston said in 'Touch of Evil', "¿Dónde está el cuerpo?" (Ok, he didn't really say it, but he was playing a Mexican detective, so he could have.) I'm thinking the cuerpo fell victim to hand-bottling, so I'll have to revisit this bad boy at a later date.

Drinkability: It's not bad at all. The only thing preventing me from loving this is the fact that the body is so completely out of whack with what the beer should be. I'll go grab a barstool at the PT Brewery the next time I'm up there, and see how it holds up on draught.

Drinkability:

10-11-2005 17:17:42 | More by Knuckles
Tupperwolf

3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a mahogany brown into my tulip with a finger-thick head of rising medium-size bubbles that recedes in a few minutes to a tan ring and a tiny scum across the surface; This beer glows scarlet in the light and looks somewhat intimidating.

Hazy whiffs of alcohol rise out of this one; There's a significant scent of whiskey, and I get the distinct impression of caramel from time to time. It's a roasted wood scent.

Coffee, toffee, alcohol; Lots more whiskey in the flavor, Kahlua, and I get the distinct impression from time to time that what I'm drinking is an Irish coffee - whiskey and coffee. It's definitely a Wee Heavy ale.

Slick on the tongue, somewhat thin, with little carbonation and a gently astringent alcohol; This one is filling and warming to drink, with intense toffee whiskey flavors. It's a sipper, not so easy to drink, but reasonably tasty. Could use to be rounded out a bit better, perhaps by aging. Somewhat harsh if you're not expecting the hard hitting alcohol.

01-29-2006 19:04:29 | More by Tupperwolf
powdersoldier

10-07-2013 15:34:56 | More by powdersoldier
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

This is a perfect early winter beer as it proves both warming and food friendly. The beer is dark brown with reddish highlights topped with a large head. The nose is all malt and more malt. The taste is full flavoured yet finessed in its structured finish. I liked the balance on this beer which allows one to finish the glass and not feel cloyed by the maltiness. Another great beer from one of the most underated breweries around.

10-31-2005 06:29:25 | More by canucklehead
ccrida

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

Bomber into an impy pint, Hop Diggidy is a dark, clear amber brown, with an eggshell head that leaves pretty heavy lace. It looks like a cherry coke, at least the body. Unusually dark, the creaminess of the head is nice, but it looks more like generic strong ale.

Smell is pretty strong, cherries and sugary malt, a little raisin Pretty good, but not to complex.

Taste is sweeter but very smooth, definately a malt bomb, some leather esters, subdued and nicely done, a bit vinous, nice carmelization. ABV is totally hidden, wow this is very good, almost in porter territory save for the yeast character.

Mouthfeel is awesome, oily, dry and medium bodied, very supple.

Drinkability is good, this goes down pretty easily, full of the traditional flavors, tasty and smooth. Although the sweetness put it in the 'one is enough for tonight' category, this is another great offering from Port Townsend. It really built up momentum, I hated knowing I had only the one bottle as I greedily sucked it down, very tasty.

10-05-2008 05:01:28 | More by ccrida
honeybrewer

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

This is the first time I've had Port Townsend Brewing's Scotch Style Ale, although I have had several other beers they produce, and have enjoyed them all.

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter, it is a clear brown color, reminiscent of, well, scotch. Especially after the little bit of head disappears, which it does quickly.

Has a nice smell; malt, light hop aroma, little bit of peat. Kind of earthy.

Has a good malty flavor base with other flavors that I can't single out when cold. As it warms however, I can more easily identify a touch of hop bitterness on the back of my tounge, and what I want to describe as an oaky/peat flavor. Seems to be very lightly carbonated, although it still has a very satisfying feel to it.

I really liked this beer, more so when it had warmed for a few minutes than when it was cold. A good beer to sip on a cold winter night. Considering the price and availability, at least in my neck of the woods, this is one of my new favorites.

01-22-2010 02:37:47 | More by honeybrewer
RJLarse

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%

I bought a bomber of Port Townsend Scotch Ale several months ago while vacationing on the Olympic Peninsula. Poured into a pint tumbler.

Pours a nice garnet red color, and is clear. A modest beige head forms, but disappears quickly and is not sticky enough to lace the glass.

Smell is faint, and sweet. There is a faint earthy aroma, and a sharp acerbic scent.

The taste is sharp and bourbon-like initially. There is a sweet and sharp caramel malt flavor, and a mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good, light and smootth.

I'm not much on the style, but this is a very drinkable brew. I'd probably prefer a stout or a porter, but I wouldn't turn this scotch ale down.

01-28-2008 01:18:29 | More by RJLarse