Death Don't Have No Mercy (Imperial Scotch Ale) - Port Townsend Brewing Company

Death Don't Have No Mercy  (Imperial Scotch Ale)
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

pDev: n/a
Port Townsend Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: beertunes on 05-18-2012

4.16/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a MacAndrew's thistle glass. Pours a dark, semi-opaque mahogany amber with a one finger light tan head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of rich caramel malt, toffee, brown sugar and dark fruit. Flavor starts with the same rich caramel malt and dark fruit, but then transitions to toasty malt with light grassy hops and light peat, unusual and a quite a pleasant surprise. The finish has toasted malt and a hint of coffee, almost porter-like. Pleasant medium to full, creamy body with nice carbonation. This is a very nice scotch ale with a bit of a twist in the toasted malt (perhaps it's just the peat, but it is surprisingly roasty). A sleeper that I'm really glad I had a chance to try. I realize I need to try other beers from this brewery if this an indication of what they are capable of. Mmmm. (817 characters)

3.74/5  rDev n/a

I had it on tap for the first time today. It was less opaque than I thought it would be due to the abv and it's imperial nature. The aroma was appetizing and it matched the character of the beer. The head was very thin but it had decent lacing. The mouth feel was very satisfying. It's lubricity just felt right in my mouth but I do prefer a thicker beer. The taste was good but I felt the sweetness was a little cloying. I would have preferred a little more hops to balance out the flavor profile. You could taste the hops which I appreciate but they were overwhelmed.

I really enjoyed it overall and think it is another hit from this great regional microbrewery. (665 characters)

3.85/5  rDev n/a

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a dark mahogany color, with just a thin cap of tan head that had surprisingly good retention and OK lacing.

The aroma was malt dominate, very rich, earthy malts that supported just a light touch of peat and some light spiciness. The flavors were pretty similar, just much more fuller developed, solid, full malts with just enough peat to be interesting, a hint of spice and a bit of an alcohol taste on the very back end of the tongue.

The body was wonderful, full, rich and smooth, with a very light smokiness. Drinkability was very good for such a big beer, my pint went down quickly and easily, as I suspect a second would. Overall, a very nice beer. If they would release this beer yearly during our rainy season, it would become a regular pint for me. A must try if you see it. (826 characters)

Death Don't Have No Mercy (Imperial Scotch Ale) from Port Townsend Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.