Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-16-2006

Our Nut Brown Ale starts out very smooth, like an English-style Brown Ale. The use of Chocolate Malt, Munich Malt, and Hallartau Hops give this beer a crisp, nutty finish. Peak Nut Brown is a delectable beer loaded with complex, differentiated flavors that don’t overwhelm the palate, making it a perfect dark beer for food pairing.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
2.06/5  rDev -41.6%

This is a poor example of Nut Brown Ale. It is watery, flat and has no body. It is very similar to Trout River Scottish Ale which is the worst dish water (not worthy of being called a beer) known to man. At $10.00 @ six pack, I can think of a whole bunch of better ways to use 10 bucks. The take away here is that there is a lot of room to start a micro brewery because this sucks!. This is lousy and there are better ways to make a quality beer. (446 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -33.1%

A- Nice looking beer. Translucent chestnut brown body with thick foamy cream colored head. Great Head retention. Leaves plenty of lacing the whole way down the glass.

S- Nose of hops, malt, and some spiciness to it.

T- Initial taste is bland and watery. Hops kick in. They would be a nice touch if they were in the background but they are all I can taste. Finish is quite bitter. I didn't detect any smooth nutty taste at all.

M- high carbonation and medium weight body. Watery and overcarbonated.

D- I couldn't finish this. I was in the mood for an english brown and this didn't taste like one to me. If it were a blind tasting where I didn't have a style in mind I would give it another chance. It's not terrible...just not very good. (748 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%

Consumed 12/27/2009- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle poured into a Pint glass. Best by date of Jan 2010. Picked this one up at the Whole Foods in Reston.

A- Transparent chestnut brown topped off with about a finger and a half almond head that settled pretty quick. Not much lacing or carbination.

S- Sticky sweet roasted nuts.

T- I got some of the smell but it was over whelmed pretty quick by a chemical taste similar to the smell of nail polish remover.

M- Medium bodied.

D- Because of the flavor I only got a couple of sips into this one before it went down the drain. Given the other reviews, I'm chalking this one up to a bad batch and I'll pick up another to review again. (683 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -29.7%

Of the three Peak Organic beers I've tried, this one was definitely the best, although by no means did it stand out in my mind as a great beer experience. Still, pretty drinkable.

Appearance was pretty normal; minimal head with a copper colored body that was clear but not brilliant. Aroma had some off notes to it; there was caramel-ness and a touch of sourness, but also with some sourness. First sip gave the impression of smoothness which was a side-effect of a lot of diacetyl flavor, which I felt didn't really belong. There was nice caramel maltiness and some ashtray mouthfeel to it that I've experienced in the Peak Amber as well. Not bad, but hardly terrific.

Why do these Peak beers grate my mouth like I'm licking an ashtray?

I wouldn't really recommend this beer. I bought this bottle at Woodman's in Oak Creek, WI. (831 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -27.2%

Really disappointed with this beer. Had it on tap at Kinsale in Boston. Thought the appearance was pretty watery, though the mouthfeel wasn't as much so. In terms of taste, it was a pretty run of the mill nut brown: malty, caramel notes, definite nuttiness, little bit of toffee. However, the killer for me was the aftertaste. I just couldn't shake a horrible lingering of cigar/cigarette smoke in the aftertaste. Had my gf try the beer, and she didn't notice it as much. But I couldn't get past it...every sip. Pretty much ruined the beer for me. I'd probably prefer Newcastle to this... (588 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%

The aroma is toasted with some chocolate, nuts, malt, and vinegar. The appearance is medium red brown with a small head. The flavor is like the aroma and not to my liking. The palate is smooth but the finish is acidic and astringent. It is like sucking on a bar of soap. Overall it's not even average. (301 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -26.1%

Appears more of deep amber than an actual brown color. Head billows with chunk cream colored lacing, left clinging to the sides of my imperial pint after each sip. Aroma has some cereal grain sweetness roasted malts are evident, with a hint of toasted nuts hanging around. No real hop accents just a hint of underlying earthiness coming through. Flavors are light restrained, some caramel malt/darker earthiness with cereal grains and a but of husk character. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation levels, the Peak Organic brews as a whole have confused me. Twist off bottles, certified organic decent beer overall just nothing awe inspiring that's never been done before. There's no point in drinking this except if you really want organic, even though the hops probably aren't actually organic. (816 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%

On tap at the Village Tavern in Geneseo, NY.

These organic beers just mostly don't cut it for me.

Pours a light, clear brown, with a half inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

It honestly smells like nothing. Maybe a little bit of sweetness.

Tastes include some mild bitterness, a little bit of caramel and toasted bread, and water. Just really, really weak, very watery brown ale.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel, drinkable due to the complete lack of flavor.

Just weak, pass on this one. (494 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -24.9%

Had it out of 12 oz. iced bottle.

Looked bronzish brown in color, basically opaque, with a bubbly head and lace.

Slight malt and soap (?) scent.

Crisp, thin, almost...watery, which is probably a sin for a beer. Not much in the way of flavor. It's just tastes too "clean" for a beer. Slight smokeyness to it and malt in the back of the mouth.

I would only drink another if all other choices were Bud or something of the same ilk. (432 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a true brown with tinted head that is full, foamy, and holds a bit. Aroma smells like candy? So odd, not bad in and of itself, just not a beer smell. Possibly there are only early addition hops so the aroma is all malt aromas and residual sugars...? Taste is very sweet and likable at first sip, but too sweet, and the lack of hops reveals the roasted charred malt as a detectable flavor in and of itself, as opposed to having some hops in there for a clean finish to mask the charred flavor directly, where it would instead be part of the mix of flavors that adds to the complexity and smoothness. Two extremes, syrupy sweet/nutty, and charred malt. Sad; the more i drink the less I like it. Good in a sample size. Mouthfeel is standard medium-light. Drinkability - this could be impressive if tweaked and ANY hops at all were present in the flavor - I'm no hophead, but I mean this is not even "English" kind of hop amounts, its more like "theres hops in here?" NOT a winner. (983 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -23.5%

A: Pours a light brown with a small tan head. Very little retention with some spotty lace.

S: Roasted malt with light hints of caramel and darkened brown sugar.

T: Roasted malt, caramelized sugars, with a dash of nuts. Rather ho hum.

M: Medium in body, smooth with good carbonation.

D: I would seek out another brown ale as there are many better exmaples. (359 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Ruby brown in color, about a fingers worth of lightly tan head that settles to a nice ring and layer... Good lacing on the glass.

S: Roasted sweet malt, little coffee and just a touch of earthy hops.

T: Quick splash of sweet roasted malt then a quick shot of hoppy bitterness and then it is gone.... aftertaste is a little grassy... Strange, flavors don't last very long...

M: Lighter bodied than I was expecting from a Brown... carbonation was crisper than I was expecting also.

D: Strange brew smells and looks like a brown, the first shot is brown and then everything just shuts down. A little disappointing. (655 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours with almost no head. The beer itself is a very deep, dark red color.

The nose is buttery and sweet. You can certainly tell that this is contract brewed by Shipyard.

The beer itself is surprisingly bitter, this bitterness lingers quite a long time on the tongue and is accompanied with an unpleasant astringent taste. It almost seems like there is some burned flavors here, not particularly tasty.

This is not a beer I would ever purchase again. (453 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

On the tail end of the freshness date, this beer pours into an enormous poofy cream head that settles slowly. It smells malty, with a little smoke and sweetness.

The taste is not bad. There is nuttiness to it, and a sort of burnt sweet aftertaste that turns ashen over time. On the other hand, it also seems actually chemically imbalanced. It has a sort of soapy feeling, that leaves my lips and throat feeling parched and scratchy rather than simply dry. I found this increasingly distracting as I finished my glass. I would not seek out another. (548 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a dark brown color with a head that seems too fizzy. Aroma is malty and sweet, almost like molasses. Taste is also too fizzy. Hints of malt and some coffee notes come out of the taste. Not much else follows. The bottle is good until August of this year so I have no idea why it seems so carbonated. Somewhat dull overall though. (334 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -17%

The look is a dark cherry brown with medium head and it settles to nice sticky lace. The smell is malts,burnt sugar and roasted grains. The taste gives me mixed feelings about this beer. It has a nutty,burnt sugar taste and the one thing I dislike in any beer-metallic inclinations.
It has a metallic taste and it also in the feel. The feel is slightly hops and a metallic, bitter finish. It is sweet and there is some caramel in it but that does not stop my dislike for the final taste.

I would not buy this again and for those of you who disagree I will tell you that my beer was fresh and why bother with some beers when there are other beers in the style that have more to offer. I am done with being diplomatic about so-so beers. Life is short and I do not have time to buy beer that does not satisfy my taste. If you like this beer then I say to each his own. (868 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark reddish brown with very little head.

S: Weak aroma of toasted bread and caramel malts.

T: Tons of roasted malt flavor and that is about it.

D: Overall it doesn't really live up to a "nut brown ale." This isn't a bad brew by any means, it just shouldn't bill itself as something it is not. (322 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

A- Dark red/brown with a small off-white head. Retention is minimal. Small ring leaves no lacing.

S- Dark fruit and nutty caramel malt, not much going on, not very rich. Cardboard/a bit oxidized.

T- Follows the nose. Not all that flavorful or rich like many Brown Ales. Nutty oxidized caramel malt with a decent dark fruit hint.

MF- Fairly light body with high carbonation and a somewhat fizzy feel. Not amazingly suitable.

DB- One of the lightest Brown Ales I can think of. The flavor feels a bit diluted or something. (523 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Translucent light brown with a fluffy off-white head of pearly bubbles; minimal, but nice lacing.

S: Lightly roasted malt with overtones of caramel, brown sugar, and honey. Slightly muted.

T: Quite light, and shockingly lager-like, with a fairly strong bitterness. The lightness is perfectly in line with English nut brown, but the ale-like qualities I find lacking here.

M: I'm puzzled here. It's a nice mouthfeel for a lager, but a bit too bracing for a session ale.

O: I want to like this, but it just misses the mark. If you blindfolded me and told me this was an American amber craft lager, I wouldn't doubt you at all. (633 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -16.1%

I had this on-tap at The Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ. It was served in a pint glass.
Appearance: It poured a deep brown transparent body with a very light tan head that wasn't to big with with good retention and lots of thin lacing.
Smell: Nothing.
Taste: There was a nice hop bite right behind all of the roasty nuts.
Mouthfeel: Rigid.
Drinkability: Good.
Don't drink and review. (386 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a nice amber color and it smelled really good. I had high hopes for the beer. The beer had a nice bready smell however the taste was just not there. Watery weak coffee hit. Lacing was good but that's about all the good I can give it. No nut did I get!. I will not buy this beer again. (347 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -14.7%

Served on-tap at a Tower of Power show at Infinity Hall in Norfolk, Conn.

A: Poured a dark, amber brown color with a slight layer of carbonation spread over the top. Looks like a cup of decaf coffee.

S: Smells very non-descript, some slightly toasted sweet malts and maybe a hint of earth, but not too much in this department.

T: Taste is bittersweet and malty at first, although the flavor is a little thin. A mild earthy herbal hop element peeks its head in the door, but it's washed away by a roasted malty flavor which carries a nice hazelnut flavor towards the finish.

M: Medium bodied and easy-drinking.

D: A pretty mild English brown that would be sessionable for the organic fan. I prefer Wolaver's to this, but it's not all that bad. Hopefully a better taste comes from the bottle. I'd like to give it another shot sometime. (838 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

Dark amber-ruby in color, not brown. 3/4-finger head with some lacing.

Smells faintly of dark roasted malts, some caramel.

Tastes of caramel and faint bits of other malts. Smooth and lager-like. Only faint hints of things like coffee or chocolate here. Rather watery. It kind of tastes like an amber ale.

Starts watery but finishes a bit thicker.

Nothing bad all all, but quite mellow and lacking in any robust flavors. Really doesn't taste much like a brown ale. (468 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

There was a Peak representative offering free pint glasses with a six pack, so here we are.

It looks good; brown, ruby hints in the light. The head looked strong when pouring but dissipated quickly.

Smell is husky, earthy, malty, I can't get anything real specific from it.

Taste has a sweet caramel hint, finishing with just the slightest hop bite.

Pretty light and crisp, this wouldn't be a half bad choice on tap. (420 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

A) Brown with reddish hues. 3/4 inch head. Creamy and thick lacing.
S) Roasted nuts. Caramel sweetness. Not many definitive aromas.
T) Caramel sweetness. Prominent bitterness in the after taste.
M) Creamy. Thin feeling. The body doesn't feel as strong as a typical brown.
D) A decent brown but not a standout. (309 characters)

Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale from Peak Organic Brewing Company