Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat AlePeak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.90% ABV

Peak Pomegranate Wheat is a refreshing, yet intricate ale brewed with locally grown organic wheat, organic coriander and a touch of organic Pomegranate and Acai juice from our friends at Sambazon. Not as sweet as many fruit beers, the Pomegranate Wheat has a soft, round mouthfeel from the local, un-malted wheat. The spice from the coriander and the subtle sweetness from the Pomegranate and Açai are a perfect complement.

(Beer added by: glid02 on 02-14-2009)
View: Beers (25) |  Events

03-11-2012 02:27:38 | More by abmhighrise
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

1.3/5  rDev -59%

I got this single 12oz'er from Beverage Warehouse in Winooski VT for a buck eighty. There's writing on the label for best by date, but nothing's marked (lotta good that does...). Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

This clear dark yellow brew gives a healthy inch of dense foamy eggshell head. Smell is... egad, a TON of diacetyl, totally unexpected and out of place. Sheesh, am I going to have to slam a Peak Organic brew??? There's also a bit of fruity sweetness, maybe some other stuff, but the diacetyl is so overpowering that I don't want to smell any further.

Taste is.. dear god... diacetyl, maybe not as bad as the smell, but still seriously strong and unwelcome. There's also some sweet fruity stuff (presumably pomegranate), some hoppy things... but I can't get beyond the diacetyl. Butter and fruit is a disgusting combination. Drain pour, drain pour, bleh, bleh. Somebody, in an act of mercy, please give me a keystone with which to cleanse my palate.

AVOID.

10-12-2010 01:42:33 | More by BeerNinja007
Dasein11

06-18-2013 23:24:11 | More by Dasein11
mtbbaboon

Connecticut

2.03/5  rDev -36%

I picked up a six pack of this because the wife wanted to try it. I poured a bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a cloudy yellow with a little sediment floating around it, as I'd expect with a wheat beer. Decent fizzy head that vanishes quickly. Sort of an odd smell to it...wheat and lightly fruity, though pomegranate is not what I smell. The taste leaves something to be desired. It starts off midly fruity...not a whole lot of fruit there, and I guess if the label says "pomegranate", I'll take their word for it. Faint hint of hops and sweet malt. The wheat and fruit seem to be fighting a lot and don't really complement each other nicely. Overall, the taste is just plain funky, and the aftertaste is downright unpleasant. The mouthfeel is what I'd expect with a wheat beer...light body, fizzy, and drinks easily, aside from the taste. I could only drink half the beer. The rest was a drain pour. Sorry, Peak Organics, but I will not try this again.

10-25-2009 16:10:17 | More by mtbbaboon
ToasterChef

Maine

2.05/5  rDev -35.3%

I was given a free bottle of this at a local event. I didn't taken any notes, but since I plan on never drinking this beer again, I'll pass on what I remember. The aroma was full of yeast, but not a good fresh bready yeast, more like a yeast starter sitting in your kitchen. The taste was too sweet, with a citrusy finish that tasted like grapefruit. The beer was way too carbonated. It over powered the taste and made the mouthfeel rather unpleasant. As for drinkability, I've already said I'll never have one of these again. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this. After about a quarter of the bottle, I had to make a choice, either stay at this crowded event and finish this beer, or leave early and go buy a Christmas tree before an impending snow storm. I decided to dump the beer and go get a tree. I don't regret the choice at all.

12-09-2009 15:30:38 | More by ToasterChef
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.2/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours a honey golden slightly hazed hue with a large white head forming about two inches thick. Dwindles pretty quickly leaving a collar of lace with streaks unevenly strung between sips. Aromatics stand out with the fruit additions of pomegranate and acai berries. Chalk full of antioxidants even your beer will prevent free radicals. C'mon I like the idea of healthy beer but that might only exist in heaven. With those sweet layers of fruit juice comes some tame layers of coriander spicing. Flavor wise it comes of tart with some bitter medicianl qualities and the coriander weighs a bit too heavy overall. My first Acai beer, and the only one I've heard of besides Eel River another organic brewery. I guess they're serving up what they're respective markets are looking for. The wheat additions here come off grainy but it's a flavor that came through in other Peak Organic brews, possibly a nutiness from the yeast they use? A true cluster fuck of flavors this beer doesn't know what direction it's going in so may I direct it straight down my drain. Mouthfeel overall had a very acrid sour finish with traces of coriander and their yeast weighing my palate down. Overall body wasn't very thick lighter bodied carbonation unnatural with some streaks of residual sugars joining in on the horrid mouthfeel. Drinkability overall is a big pass on this brewery, I've tried the standard line up and it's a continuous down slide with each beer I come across.

06-29-2009 14:49:31 | More by WVbeergeek
johnklotter

Vermont

2.25/5  rDev -29%

03-31-2013 17:58:08 | More by johnklotter
SFLpunk

Vermont

2.3/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pomegranate Wheat Ale with Acai (and coriander). 12oz brown glass twist-top. "Best Enjoyed Before Sept 09."

Appearance: Almost no head, thin white lace. Yellow amber and clear.

Nose: Sweet wheat and blue fruit aromas, like artificial blueberries.

Palate: Somewhat plastic-y fruit flavors, blueberry comes to mind again, and underfermented wheat malt. Very artificial tasting.

Notes: Weak fruit beer. And why would you add coriander to a fruit beer? I just don't understand.

06-25-2009 06:28:11 | More by SFLpunk
thryn

2.38/5  rDev -24.9%

A nice hazy honey-straw color with tons of fluffy off-white head and great lacing. Unfortunately, this is the best thing about the beer.

Smells a bit of clove and a bit of sweet fruit, and a whole lot of coriander. Now, I like coriander, but this is too much -- it has a strongly metallic scent that really overpowers anything good it has going on.

Sweet pomegranate and citrus notes at first, which unfortunately also give way to that metallic flavor. This is just not a very good beer.

Feel is fine; a relatively light and slightly silky body with sharpish carbonation.

I managed to get through a six pack of these, though it took me a month, procrastinating the review with each one ... but this is the last, and I certainly won't be buying any again.

08-29-2009 06:04:31 | More by thryn

GrindFatherBob

01-24-2013 13:52:45 | More by GrindFatherBob
GarthDanielson

2.6/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a berliner-weisse, the beer is a pale, light, yellow-gold coloring that is slightly hazed and visibly carbonated. No head on this brew whatsoever. The nose is candy sweet, with a light roasted quality in the background. Lemon and banana highlights, as well. Flavors are a little more balanced, with a rich, sweet pomegranate highlight that borders on syrupy, overlaying a standard background of roasted wheat. Cloying and unbalanced, this all leads into a semisweet aftertaste. Cloying, cream finish, and the carbonation doesn't quite lighten this up enough. Overly sweet for me, but if you really like quasi-fruity candy, than this might be right up your alley.

08-17-2012 02:25:08 | More by GarthDanielson

07-28-2013 22:38:58 | More by Mullen2525
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.83/5  rDev -10.7%

In a pint glass the beer was a hazy orange color with a medium white head. Mildly sweet aroma, maybe a little bit of malt. Tart fruit tase, some hops. For me, the beer really went downhill in the mouthfeel. It was, by far, way too bitter. I had to work hard to finish it. I think I'll give the rest of the bottles to my son-in-law; he likes fruit beers.

10-07-2009 15:53:47 | More by lordofthewiens
BrewGirl91

2.88/5  rDev -9.1%

This was such a weird beer. It smells fruity (pretty normal, right?), movie theater popcorn (not too weird since it smells buttery and all), and like old gym sock (uhhh, weird).

My boyfriend and I shared a glass of this and the more we drank, the less we liked it, which is sad because I always really want to like a beer. I'm glad I just bought a single bottle of this. It cost me all of a dollar-ninety. That's all it was worth.

My first thought was the acai seemed pretty gimmicky. It's very sour and fruity. I can't detect the hops at all. Kinda vinegary.

The warmer it gets, the worse it gets. It's not even crisp when real cold. So when it's warm it's just sour.

I could see girls really liking this for its fruitiness and with it being Very mild, but personally, this is just sad.

I would not buy this again.

03-17-2012 05:13:08 | More by BrewGirl91
CowsCanBark

2.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow, a tiny bit cloudy, with a one-finger white head that quickly dissipates. Minimal lacing left on the glass.

Smell: It's weird, very light hops and wheat smell, with the main scent being very sweet caramel or butter. It's odd and unexpected, but smells good.

Taste: Completely what I wasn't expecting; the forefront is a light wheat taste, followed by a pretty strong sweet pomegranate/berry taste. Perhaps there is also a tiny hint of hops buried in this. There really isn't much, just light wheat and the strong, too sweet taste of pomegranate. The finish is watery and a bit grassy.

Mouthfeel: Light body, light carbonation, not refreshing though, but not off-putting.

Overall: It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. The pomegranate taste is just too overbearing. Quite a few unexpected elements in this organic brew.

12-10-2011 02:41:54 | More by CowsCanBark
nick76

2.9/5  rDev -8.5%

The aroma does have a fruity thing going on and I guess there is pomegranate and acai but hard to pick out. It's mostly just malt and a bit of diacetyl. The appearance is deep gold with an amber hue. The head is rather small. The flavor is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is a bit thin but not too far off for the style. The finish is sweet and fruity. Overall I am not that crazy about it because of the bitterness but the main fruit flavors are nice in the finish but they fade fast.

04-10-2009 04:37:17 | More by nick76