Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat AlePeak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: glid02 on 02-14-2009

Peak Pomegranate Wheat is a refreshing, yet intricate ale brewed with locally grown organic wheat, organic coriander and a touch of organic Pomegranate and Acai juice from our friends at Sambazon. Not as sweet as many fruit beers, the Pomegranate Wheat has a soft, round mouthfeel from the local, un-malted wheat. The spice from the coriander and the subtle sweetness from the Pomegranate and Açai are a perfect complement.

1.33/5  rDev -59.1%

I got this single 12oz'er from Beverage Warehouse in Winooski VT for a buck eighty. There's writing on the label for best by date, but nothing's marked (lotta good that does...). Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

This clear dark yellow brew gives a healthy inch of dense foamy eggshell head. Smell is... egad, a TON of diacetyl, totally unexpected and out of place. Sheesh, am I going to have to slam a Peak Organic brew??? There's also a bit of fruity sweetness, maybe some other stuff, but the diacetyl is so overpowering that I don't want to smell any further.

Taste is.. dear god... diacetyl, maybe not as bad as the smell, but still seriously strong and unwelcome. There's also some sweet fruity stuff (presumably pomegranate), some hoppy things... but I can't get beyond the diacetyl. Butter and fruit is a disgusting combination. Drain pour, drain pour, bleh, bleh. Somebody, in an act of mercy, please give me a keystone with which to cleanse my palate.

AVOID. (974 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -36%

I picked up a six pack of this because the wife wanted to try it. I poured a bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a cloudy yellow with a little sediment floating around it, as I'd expect with a wheat beer. Decent fizzy head that vanishes quickly. Sort of an odd smell to it...wheat and lightly fruity, though pomegranate is not what I smell. The taste leaves something to be desired. It starts off midly fruity...not a whole lot of fruit there, and I guess if the label says "pomegranate", I'll take their word for it. Faint hint of hops and sweet malt. The wheat and fruit seem to be fighting a lot and don't really complement each other nicely. Overall, the taste is just plain funky, and the aftertaste is downright unpleasant. The mouthfeel is what I'd expect with a wheat beer...light body, fizzy, and drinks easily, aside from the taste. I could only drink half the beer. The rest was a drain pour. Sorry, Peak Organics, but I will not try this again. (964 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -36%

I was given a free bottle of this at a local event. I didn't taken any notes, but since I plan on never drinking this beer again, I'll pass on what I remember. The aroma was full of yeast, but not a good fresh bready yeast, more like a yeast starter sitting in your kitchen. The taste was too sweet, with a citrusy finish that tasted like grapefruit. The beer was way too carbonated. It over powered the taste and made the mouthfeel rather unpleasant. As for drinkability, I've already said I'll never have one of these again. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this. After about a quarter of the bottle, I had to make a choice, either stay at this crowded event and finish this beer, or leave early and go buy a Christmas tree before an impending snow storm. I decided to dump the beer and go get a tree. I don't regret the choice at all. (838 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a honey golden slightly hazed hue with a large white head forming about two inches thick. Dwindles pretty quickly leaving a collar of lace with streaks unevenly strung between sips. Aromatics stand out with the fruit additions of pomegranate and acai berries. Chalk full of antioxidants even your beer will prevent free radicals. C'mon I like the idea of healthy beer but that might only exist in heaven. With those sweet layers of fruit juice comes some tame layers of coriander spicing. Flavor wise it comes of tart with some bitter medicianl qualities and the coriander weighs a bit too heavy overall. My first Acai beer, and the only one I've heard of besides Eel River another organic brewery. I guess they're serving up what they're respective markets are looking for. The wheat additions here come off grainy but it's a flavor that came through in other Peak Organic brews, possibly a nutiness from the yeast they use? A true cluster fuck of flavors this beer doesn't know what direction it's going in so may I direct it straight down my drain. Mouthfeel overall had a very acrid sour finish with traces of coriander and their yeast weighing my palate down. Overall body wasn't very thick lighter bodied carbonation unnatural with some streaks of residual sugars joining in on the horrid mouthfeel. Drinkability overall is a big pass on this brewery, I've tried the standard line up and it's a continuous down slide with each beer I come across. (1,458 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pomegranate Wheat Ale with Acai (and coriander). 12oz brown glass twist-top. "Best Enjoyed Before Sept 09."

Appearance: Almost no head, thin white lace. Yellow amber and clear.

Nose: Sweet wheat and blue fruit aromas, like artificial blueberries.

Palate: Somewhat plastic-y fruit flavors, blueberry comes to mind again, and underfermented wheat malt. Very artificial tasting.

Notes: Weak fruit beer. And why would you add coriander to a fruit beer? I just don't understand. (477 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -26.2%

A nice hazy honey-straw color with tons of fluffy off-white head and great lacing. Unfortunately, this is the best thing about the beer.

Smells a bit of clove and a bit of sweet fruit, and a whole lot of coriander. Now, I like coriander, but this is too much -- it has a strongly metallic scent that really overpowers anything good it has going on.

Sweet pomegranate and citrus notes at first, which unfortunately also give way to that metallic flavor. This is just not a very good beer.

Feel is fine; a relatively light and slightly silky body with sharpish carbonation.

I managed to get through a six pack of these, though it took me a month, procrastinating the review with each one ... but this is the last, and I certainly won't be buying any again. (760 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a berliner-weisse, the beer is a pale, light, yellow-gold coloring that is slightly hazed and visibly carbonated. No head on this brew whatsoever. The nose is candy sweet, with a light roasted quality in the background. Lemon and banana highlights, as well. Flavors are a little more balanced, with a rich, sweet pomegranate highlight that borders on syrupy, overlaying a standard background of roasted wheat. Cloying and unbalanced, this all leads into a semisweet aftertaste. Cloying, cream finish, and the carbonation doesn't quite lighten this up enough. Overly sweet for me, but if you really like quasi-fruity candy, than this might be right up your alley. (688 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -16%

This was such a weird beer. It smells fruity (pretty normal, right?), movie theater popcorn (not too weird since it smells buttery and all), and like old gym sock (uhhh, weird).

My boyfriend and I shared a glass of this and the more we drank, the less we liked it, which is sad because I always really want to like a beer. I'm glad I just bought a single bottle of this. It cost me all of a dollar-ninety. That's all it was worth.

My first thought was the acai seemed pretty gimmicky. It's very sour and fruity. I can't detect the hops at all. Kinda vinegary.

The warmer it gets, the worse it gets. It's not even crisp when real cold. So when it's warm it's just sour.

I could see girls really liking this for its fruitiness and with it being Very mild, but personally, this is just sad.

I would not buy this again. (824 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

I like the idea, but they should drop the coriander. From bottle so no appearance notes. Smell us classic wheat beer with dark/red fruits but not strongly. Taste is initially nice on fore palate, but then there is a sourness i didn't expect. Could be tartness from the acai berries, but it keeps this from being refreshing. It's not like the intended sourness in a Gose, it's a brighter tartness that doesn't fit. Disappointing. (430 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -12.9%

In a pint glass the beer was a hazy orange color with a medium white head. Mildly sweet aroma, maybe a little bit of malt. Tart fruit tase, some hops. For me, the beer really went downhill in the mouthfeel. It was, by far, way too bitter. I had to work hard to finish it. I think I'll give the rest of the bottles to my son-in-law; he likes fruit beers. (353 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -10.8%

The aroma does have a fruity thing going on and I guess there is pomegranate and acai but hard to pick out. It's mostly just malt and a bit of diacetyl. The appearance is deep gold with an amber hue. The head is rather small. The flavor is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is a bit thin but not too far off for the style. The finish is sweet and fruity. Overall I am not that crazy about it because of the bitterness but the main fruit flavors are nice in the finish but they fade fast. (501 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow, a tiny bit cloudy, with a one-finger white head that quickly dissipates. Minimal lacing left on the glass.

Smell: It's weird, very light hops and wheat smell, with the main scent being very sweet caramel or butter. It's odd and unexpected, but smells good.

Taste: Completely what I wasn't expecting; the forefront is a light wheat taste, followed by a pretty strong sweet pomegranate/berry taste. Perhaps there is also a tiny hint of hops buried in this. There really isn't much, just light wheat and the strong, too sweet taste of pomegranate. The finish is watery and a bit grassy.

Mouthfeel: Light body, light carbonation, not refreshing though, but not off-putting.

Overall: It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. The pomegranate taste is just too overbearing. Quite a few unexpected elements in this organic brew. (890 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Had this one with the wife on a casual cool summer evening. One of my first reviews so i'm still working at this.

A - Normal unimpressive bottle and label. Poured a light amber hue, not much head which only hung around through a few sips.

S - Somewhat malty, hints of a pomegranate juice appear after a few sniffs.

T - Standard wheat beer with only slight hints of Pom. Expected a sweeter shot of fruit, but it blends nicely as drank. Slight bitter and fruit lingers at the end.

M - Light carbonation, a bit heavier than most (summer) wheat beers.

Overall I'd say that this is a beer I've enjoyed but I doubt I'll enjoy another after my 6-pack is gone. The wife mentioned she expected a lighter beer with possibly more fruit flavor. For someone who truly enjoys Pom this beer is worth a try. (797 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

12oz bottle from CJ's Potsdam NY for 2$

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with an above average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/wheat, berries, lemon

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains/bread mixed with berries and lemon juice/zest and some light spices. There is also a bit of a corn syrup flavour. It ends with a slightly tart aftertaste.

Overall – Pretty decent as far as fruit beers go. I didn't notice the pomegranate at all.. it pretty much just tasted like mixed berries. A summer beer worth trying once. (707 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a clean weizen glass.

Appearance - Pretty nice light amber tone with a medium off white head. Not really any lacing. Cloudy from the yeast sediment with some fairly chunky pieces in there.

Smell - There was a mild hoppy aroma with a wheaty undertone. Nothing too exciting there.

Taste - Dark fruit and honey with a light wheaty finish. Very mild hoppiness at the end. Not too shabby!

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - Pretty heavy on the bubbly...a bit too heavy for my taste. I'd say it's fairly drinkable other than that.

Pretty decent brew, I think. I've had better, but it was certainly enjoyable. Extra points for having a bit of a unique flavor. (658 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

A: A clear gold color with a thin line of white bubbles for a head.

S: A big wheat aroma with some hop and a fruit roll-up smell. Not bad.

T: The Pomegranate flavor is the dominant flavor in the beer. It isn't too bad....a little weird as that particular fruit flavor doesn't lend itself well to beer. When the fruit flavor dies down, there is a decent wheat and hop flavor that lingers.

M: Light and crisp. Refreshing mouthfeel.

O: In my experience, the experimental fruit beers don't always pan out. This one however is palatable and would be nice on hot summer day. (572 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I really want to like Peak Organic beers, but this is another one that is lacking something. Flavors were not right, hard to find something to approve of here. Will not revisit. (179 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

Cloudy orangey amber with a touch of some purplish hints. Moderate carbonation, slight creamy white head, pretty small though, just a touch of lace. There is an undefined berry aroma and a touch of mustiness.

The beer is slightly harsh and I'm guessing it is from the acai. The berry flavors are pretty undefined. There is an acerbicness to the beer, some grapish flavors, tartness, bitter citrus fruitiness, maybe some hop bitterness complimenting the tang, but too much acid bite to the beer. Not a crowd pleaser. (517 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: cloudy, 1 inch head, orange/yellow in color, high carbonation

Smell: wheat and pomegranate

Taste: wheat, some caramel malt, some citrus, and pomegranate

Mouthfeel: sweet with slightly bitter backbone, medium bodied, high carbonation, crisp

Drinkability: An average fruit beer that is equal parts sweet and bitter. I might have this again. The alcohol is very well hidden. There is plenty of fruit flavor, but also plenty of citrus. (448 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -1.5%

On-tap 8/7/08 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, pomegranate & citrus fruits, wheat and some hops.

T: The taste starts out fruity and sweet with flavors of pomegranate, citrus and caramel. Then some bready wheat and light malt flavors come in next. The hops presence is mild but provides a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, it's not too bad but it's just not the kind of beer that I would want to drink consistently. (831 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Nice beer... It kicks a little at first but it gets better while you drink it. Nice sweet and sour taste .The sweetness from the acai berries in it leaves a nice after-taste. The smell is really nice and feels good in the mouth too. I would probably have it again. (264 characters)

3.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a golden yellow color with almost no head

S: Pomegranate, açai, and coriander up front with a bit of a wheaty undertone. Some sweet breadiness as well

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with the pomegranate and açai and goes into the coriander and sweet bready and wheaty maltiness. Finishes with a sweetness from both the malt and pom/açai juices

M: Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A good wheat beer if you enjoy the mix of pomegranate and açai. Very easy to drink, but pushing the sweetness a little for a wheat beer. Wouldn't mind enjoying this more in the summer (597 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +0.6%

Out of a bottle at Simon Pierce with a lovely female companion (gotta have one) this beer was an amber color with one finger of khaki-colored head. The retention was not much to speak of and the lacing thin. The aroma was fruity but in an artificial way with some dry wheat notes and a little sweet malt. The flavors were similar, dominated by the artificial tasting fruit (organic? really?) but muddled by the Acia berry and the dry wheat. The combination seemed to be competing with rather than complimenting each other. The mouthfeel was good, the body light-medium and the carbonation excellent for a summer beer. Fine tuning to be done gentlemen... (653 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +1.5%

My girlfriend picked two of em out at WFM for a little tasting session last night. Not something I'd normally choose, I was not expecting much here. Got more than I thought I would though. Poured into a standard pint glass.
Freshness date: Dec 2009.

A: Poured a hazy golden yellow with some sediment in the bottom of the glass. High carbonation and decent head. Note: Head in mine was decent, head in my girlfriend's was non-existent.

S: Blueberry, tea leaves, yeast, honey and a faint whiff of lemon.

T: All I could think was iced tea. This might be due to the fruit juice used in the brewing. I'm not familiar enough with acai to note that flavor in the beer, but there was definitely a little berry of some kind poking its way through. Alcohol taste was a little bit too prevalent.

Drinkability: This one has a higher than expected ABV and a "fruit gimmick" goin' on, so I would think 3 would be the limit for me.

Value: Paid $1.99 for a single. This is a good choice for a "fruit" beer and it's organic. Nothing wrong with supporting that. (1,050 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a clear yellow gold color with a one finger head and some lacing. For a wheat though it is too clear. The smell is of clove, wheat, and pomegranate the smell is of good quality. The taste is of wheat backbone with citrus and pomegranate, there is also maybe a little clove taste too, the taste is good, but there is a little something bitter or metallic in the middle that is distracting. The mouthfeel is good, the is a good amount of carbonation with a little bite. The drinkability is okay the middle of the taste can be distracting. (542 characters)

Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale from Peak Organic Brewing Company