Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: glid02 on 02-14-2009

Peak Pomegranate Wheat is a refreshing, yet intricate ale brewed with locally grown organic wheat, organic coriander and a touch of organic Pomegranate and Acai juice from our friends at Sambazon. Not as sweet as many fruit beers, the Pomegranate Wheat has a soft, round mouthfeel from the local, un-malted wheat. The spice from the coriander and the subtle sweetness from the Pomegranate and Açai are a perfect complement.

3.04/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a clean weizen glass.

Appearance - Pretty nice light amber tone with a medium off white head. Not really any lacing. Cloudy from the yeast sediment with some fairly chunky pieces in there.

Smell - There was a mild hoppy aroma with a wheaty undertone. Nothing too exciting there.

Taste - Dark fruit and honey with a light wheaty finish. Very mild hoppiness at the end. Not too shabby!

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - Pretty heavy on the bubbly...a bit too heavy for my taste. I'd say it's fairly drinkable other than that.

Pretty decent brew, I think. I've had better, but it was certainly enjoyable. Extra points for having a bit of a unique flavor.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: cloudy, 1 inch head, orange/yellow in color, high carbonation

Smell: wheat and pomegranate

Taste: wheat, some caramel malt, some citrus, and pomegranate

Mouthfeel: sweet with slightly bitter backbone, medium bodied, high carbonation, crisp

Drinkability: An average fruit beer that is equal parts sweet and bitter. I might have this again. The alcohol is very well hidden. There is plenty of fruit flavor, but also plenty of citrus.

12oz long neck. Consumed 12/22/09.

A) Pours with a big, foamy head that is white in color. Lacing is tight and very sticky. Clear body. Visible carbonation. Gold in color.
S) Wheaty. Fruity notes of pomegranate but not overpowering.
T) Wheaty nose with subtle notes of pomegranate mixed in. Midway through the wheat pulls out and the fruit stays. Finishes with a dry grain and mellow pomegranate.
M) Crisp. Very bubbly. Light body. Slightly dry.
D) A refreshing and delicious brew.

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%

My girlfriend picked two of em out at WFM for a little tasting session last night. Not something I'd normally choose, I was not expecting much here. Got more than I thought I would though. Poured into a standard pint glass.
Freshness date: Dec 2009.

A: Poured a hazy golden yellow with some sediment in the bottom of the glass. High carbonation and decent head. Note: Head in mine was decent, head in my girlfriend's was non-existent.

S: Blueberry, tea leaves, yeast, honey and a faint whiff of lemon.

T: All I could think was iced tea. This might be due to the fruit juice used in the brewing. I'm not familiar enough with acai to note that flavor in the beer, but there was definitely a little berry of some kind poking its way through. Alcohol taste was a little bit too prevalent.

Drinkability: This one has a higher than expected ABV and a "fruit gimmick" goin' on, so I would think 3 would be the limit for me.

Value: Paid $1.99 for a single. This is a good choice for a "fruit" beer and it's organic. Nothing wrong with supporting that.

2.08/5  rDev -34.2%

I was given a free bottle of this at a local event. I didn't taken any notes, but since I plan on never drinking this beer again, I'll pass on what I remember. The aroma was full of yeast, but not a good fresh bready yeast, more like a yeast starter sitting in your kitchen. The taste was too sweet, with a citrusy finish that tasted like grapefruit. The beer was way too carbonated. It over powered the taste and made the mouthfeel rather unpleasant. As for drinkability, I've already said I'll never have one of these again. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this. After about a quarter of the bottle, I had to make a choice, either stay at this crowded event and finish this beer, or leave early and go buy a Christmas tree before an impending snow storm. I decided to dump the beer and go get a tree. I don't regret the choice at all.

3.38/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Holy head!!! I had to take breaks in between little baby pours to fit all twlve ounces into my mug. This head is super huge. A little yoo huge, but its nice that it retains well. Slightly hazey light amber to dark banana peel mix with ok bubbling. The aroma is very muted spice and toasted wheat and malt. Don't pick up a whole lot of it though, very muted in fact. The taste starts with a light pomegranate fruity tartness. The spices and a little heat hit the palate in the middle. The finish is a little hot and spicey from the alcohol and from the spices added to this brew. Not badoverall, pretty easy to drink, just hard to handle when you try to empty all twelve ounces of it.

2.08/5  rDev -34.2%

I picked up a six pack of this because the wife wanted to try it. I poured a bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a cloudy yellow with a little sediment floating around it, as I'd expect with a wheat beer. Decent fizzy head that vanishes quickly. Sort of an odd smell to it...wheat and lightly fruity, though pomegranate is not what I smell. The taste leaves something to be desired. It starts off midly fruity...not a whole lot of fruit there, and I guess if the label says "pomegranate", I'll take their word for it. Faint hint of hops and sweet malt. The wheat and fruit seem to be fighting a lot and don't really complement each other nicely. Overall, the taste is just plain funky, and the aftertaste is downright unpleasant. The mouthfeel is what I'd expect with a wheat beer...light body, fizzy, and drinks easily, aside from the taste. I could only drink half the beer. The rest was a drain pour. Sorry, Peak Organics, but I will not try this again.

2.83/5  rDev -10.4%

In a pint glass the beer was a hazy orange color with a medium white head. Mildly sweet aroma, maybe a little bit of malt. Tart fruit tase, some hops. For me, the beer really went downhill in the mouthfeel. It was, by far, way too bitter. I had to work hard to finish it. I think I'll give the rest of the bottles to my son-in-law; he likes fruit beers.

3.31/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a clear yellow gold color with a one finger head and some lacing. For a wheat though it is too clear. The smell is of clove, wheat, and pomegranate the smell is of good quality. The taste is of wheat backbone with citrus and pomegranate, there is also maybe a little clove taste too, the taste is good, but there is a little something bitter or metallic in the middle that is distracting. The mouthfeel is good, the is a good amount of carbonation with a little bite. The drinkability is okay the middle of the taste can be distracting.

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange-golden body with a well-sized, lasting layer of white foam.

Smell: Sweetish, butterscotch-scented malts with a fruity aroma sweeping in and smelling strongly of pomegranate (the IT fruit of yesterday) and acai berries (the IT fruit of today) with a minute hint of coriander.

Taste: Malted wheat and barley with a sweet touch of butterscotch candy. Then in comes the fruity additions of lightly tart pomegranate and Oprah-approved acai berries, the latter of which has tasted vaguely reminiscent of blackberries on the (very) few times I've tried them. Touch of leafy coriander. Light, clean hop bitterness that along with the added coriander helps to provide some balance. Finishes semi-dry and lightly crisp with a lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's fruity, it's wheaty, it's sweetish and fine for the one bottle. I'm happy to be getting an extra dose of antioxidants to cancel out all those cell-damaging free radicals while also pickling my liver.

2.4/5  rDev -24.1%

A nice hazy honey-straw color with tons of fluffy off-white head and great lacing. Unfortunately, this is the best thing about the beer.

Smells a bit of clove and a bit of sweet fruit, and a whole lot of coriander. Now, I like coriander, but this is too much -- it has a strongly metallic scent that really overpowers anything good it has going on.

Sweet pomegranate and citrus notes at first, which unfortunately also give way to that metallic flavor. This is just not a very good beer.

Feel is fine; a relatively light and slightly silky body with sharpish carbonation.

I managed to get through a six pack of these, though it took me a month, procrastinating the review with each one ... but this is the last, and I certainly won't be buying any again.

3.15/5  rDev -0.3%

Cloudy orangey amber with a touch of some purplish hints. Moderate carbonation, slight creamy white head, pretty small though, just a touch of lace. There is an undefined berry aroma and a touch of mustiness.

The beer is slightly harsh and I'm guessing it is from the acai. The berry flavors are pretty undefined. There is an acerbicness to the beer, some grapish flavors, tartness, bitter citrus fruitiness, maybe some hop bitterness complimenting the tang, but too much acid bite to the beer. Not a crowd pleaser.

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best by November 09 notched on label.

Pours golden yellow with a creamy white head that stays. Web-like lacing sticks.

The smell is of pomegranate juice with wheat tang. There is something else - I'll take it to be the acai. Pomegranate not overpowering.

The taste is of pomegranate (not overpowering or overbearing) that is not too "artificial", more like natural pomegranate juice with wheat tang. Some sweetness leads to a coriander/pepper dryness in the finish. Something herbal mixes in, again I'll take it to be the acai (something I'm admittedly not familiar with). A hint of alcohol comes through as it progresses.

It has a crisp, not too fizzy, light body.

If it were up to me, I would take abv down a bit, to make it more "sessionable", though, on the other hand, I don't know that I would want to "session" it anyway. Still, it has a unique spin on it that works well, making it an above average fruit wheat beer.

3.27/5  rDev +3.5%

Out of a bottle at Simon Pierce with a lovely female companion (gotta have one) this beer was an amber color with one finger of khaki-colored head. The retention was not much to speak of and the lacing thin. The aroma was fruity but in an artificial way with some dry wheat notes and a little sweet malt. The flavors were similar, dominated by the artificial tasting fruit (organic? really?) but muddled by the Acia berry and the dry wheat. The combination seemed to be competing with rather than complimenting each other. The mouthfeel was good, the body light-medium and the carbonation excellent for a summer beer. Fine tuning to be done gentlemen...

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

On-tap 8/7/08 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, pomegranate & citrus fruits, wheat and some hops.

T: The taste starts out fruity and sweet with flavors of pomegranate, citrus and caramel. Then some bready wheat and light malt flavors come in next. The hops presence is mild but provides a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, it's not too bad but it's just not the kind of beer that I would want to drink consistently.

2.28/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours a honey golden slightly hazed hue with a large white head forming about two inches thick. Dwindles pretty quickly leaving a collar of lace with streaks unevenly strung between sips. Aromatics stand out with the fruit additions of pomegranate and acai berries. Chalk full of antioxidants even your beer will prevent free radicals. C'mon I like the idea of healthy beer but that might only exist in heaven. With those sweet layers of fruit juice comes some tame layers of coriander spicing. Flavor wise it comes of tart with some bitter medicianl qualities and the coriander weighs a bit too heavy overall. My first Acai beer, and the only one I've heard of besides Eel River another organic brewery. I guess they're serving up what they're respective markets are looking for. The wheat additions here come off grainy but it's a flavor that came through in other Peak Organic brews, possibly a nutiness from the yeast they use? A true cluster fuck of flavors this beer doesn't know what direction it's going in so may I direct it straight down my drain. Mouthfeel overall had a very acrid sour finish with traces of coriander and their yeast weighing my palate down. Overall body wasn't very thick lighter bodied carbonation unnatural with some streaks of residual sugars joining in on the horrid mouthfeel. Drinkability overall is a big pass on this brewery, I've tried the standard line up and it's a continuous down slide with each beer I come across.

2.3/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pomegranate Wheat Ale with Acai (and coriander). 12oz brown glass twist-top. "Best Enjoyed Before Sept 09."

Appearance: Almost no head, thin white lace. Yellow amber and clear.

Nose: Sweet wheat and blue fruit aromas, like artificial blueberries.

Palate: Somewhat plastic-y fruit flavors, blueberry comes to mind again, and underfermented wheat malt. Very artificial tasting.

Notes: Weak fruit beer. And why would you add coriander to a fruit beer? I just don't understand.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Had this one with the wife on a casual cool summer evening. One of my first reviews so i'm still working at this.

A - Normal unimpressive bottle and label. Poured a light amber hue, not much head which only hung around through a few sips.

S - Somewhat malty, hints of a pomegranate juice appear after a few sniffs.

T - Standard wheat beer with only slight hints of Pom. Expected a sweeter shot of fruit, but it blends nicely as drank. Slight bitter and fruit lingers at the end.

M - Light carbonation, a bit heavier than most (summer) wheat beers.

Overall I'd say that this is a beer I've enjoyed but I doubt I'll enjoy another after my 6-pack is gone. The wife mentioned she expected a lighter beer with possibly more fruit flavor. For someone who truly enjoys Pom this beer is worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a nice copper-amber color with a one-finger head into my glass.

Aroma is full of wheat with hints of pomegranate/acai in the nose. Not too strong though.

Taste is smooth with pomegranate and acai showing upfront. A small hint of clove as well.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering pomegranate/acai flavors and wheat. Not bad. A bit sweet.

Not a bad ale. Easy to drink. Follows the pomegranate/acai gimmick but otherwise is quite drinkable.

2.9/5  rDev -8.2%

The aroma does have a fruity thing going on and I guess there is pomegranate and acai but hard to pick out. It's mostly just malt and a bit of diacetyl. The appearance is deep gold with an amber hue. The head is rather small. The flavor is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is a bit thin but not too far off for the style. The finish is sweet and fruity. Overall I am not that crazy about it because of the bitterness but the main fruit flavors are nice in the finish but they fade fast.

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%

Added a new entry to add the ABV and because it was more of a wheat than a fruit beer. Had on-cask at Pizzeria Paradiso in Washington DC.

Pours a hazy straw/golden color with very subtle purple highlights. Head is one-finger of white foam that recedes slowly into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of pale malts with light hints of raw hops. There are also hints of berries that come through every now and then.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Pale malts mostly, and the fruit flavors don't come through as much as the sweetness from them does.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a very nice thickness for the style with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I had no problem finishing one but I wouldn't order another one.

Overall this is the first wheat beer I've had on cask and it didn't disappoint. I'd be interested to see how the bottle version stacks up.

Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale from Peak Organic Brewing Company