Peak Organic IPA - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic IPAPeak Organic IPA

good

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

(Beer added by: WanderingFool on 04-17-2009)
1.25/5  rDev -66.1%

1.75/5  rDev -52.6%

Super fresh best before June 2011, pours a slightly hazed copper golden hue with a bright white head billowing above the edge of my imperial pint, fine speckled lacing left behind. Aroma soapy citrus somewhat medicinal like smelling a bag of hop pellets. Flavor is more bitter than anything else, some light sweetness initially with a rush of hop pellets coating your teeth. This beer just blasts hop bitterness without much hop flavor maybe a hint of citrus cleaning products and raw herbaceous bitterness. No balance equates to sucking on a hop pellet which equates to a poorly executed IPA. Mouthfeel light to medium bodied sturdy carbonation, hop resins simply stick to the palate makes you want to brush your teeth and rinse you mouth out. Drinkability is nearly a drain pour a good bit of alcohol at 7.1 % abv is at least well hidden, but the one sided hops displayed mean these people just don't understand the style. If you gotta go organic, I guess you can drink this stuff but I won't be revisiting.

2.44/5  rDev -33.9%

2.45/5  rDev -33.6%

APPEARANCE: Its a good looking beer with a very warm, hazy, medium amber hue. There's a decent head even though it's pretty heavily carbonated and has a high ABV.

SMELL: Very light, almost odorless. Though there is a slight, clean whiff of earthy hops.

TASTE: It's a very average IPA without a lot of character. You'll pick up some piney notes on the finish, but it's not as hoppy as you'd expect from an IPA. I've read several reviews that mentioned caramel as a dominant taste. I didn't really get that. For me, I found it really lacking for any distinctive taste at all.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied with high(ish) carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: It's easy to drink because it doesn't really taste like anything. There's very little bite, considering the high ABV for an IPA.

SERVING TYPE: Cask

VERDICT: I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy Peak's nut brown ale quite a bit. And while I'm not really all that earthy-crunchy, I can get behind organic beers ... if they're good. Until they rework the recipe, I don't really need to drink this again.

Imbibed At:
Julian's Providence, 318 Broadway, Providence, RI |401-861-1770 | http://www.juliansprovidence.com/

Cheers,
John Harvey
Dirtybeerguy.com

2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

Growler fill, poured into Imperial pint glass.

A: Golden amber, huge pillowy head, looks pretty good.

S: hmmm, its all biscuity malts and sweet caramel like scent. For an IPA, it is way too malt forward smelling. I am not impressed.

T: The taste is similar to the smell, slightly better, but I can't say I am enjoying this very much. There is a slight hoppy floral kick at the end, but it is so muted by this buttery sweetness which I find really not too tasty.

M: Very creamy, medium thick mouthfeel.

O: Overall, I hate to give bad reviews but this beer just isn't cutting it for me. I like Peak's King Crimson offering very much, but this just doesn't have enough hop bite and is too creamy and buttery, not characteristics I enjoy in an IPA. I can't even say this tastes much like an IPA in style. It almost tastes more like some bad British bitter or something. Sorry, but I don't like this beer. Also, the high APV isn't doing the flavor, or lack of it, any favors. I don't quite understand the goal of this beer.

Peak Organic IPA from Peak Organic Brewing Company