2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Peak Organic IPA - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic IPAPeak Organic IPA

good

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

(Beer added by: WanderingFool on 04-17-2009)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 423 | Reviews: 159 | Show All Ratings:
DoubleSimcoe

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Peak Organic IPA, growler filled at Brew York City-Duane Reade for $7.99.

Appearance: Served in my Sierra snifter, Peak Organic pours a dark-rusty copper and looks more like a strong Belgian than an IPA. Nice one-finger head with good retention but barely any lacing.

Smell: Not a whole lot going on here. Some citrus, but not the fresh kind you'd find in a West Coast IPA. Boiling orange juice and a sweet backbone with a bit of cookies and bread. Some floral notes.

Taste: Not your average hoppy American IPA! This is more of a breakfast IPA, with buttered-toast flavors. Malt and a tad of pine needle come afterwards. A bit of lip-smacking pomelo at the end of the sip, which finishes dry and slightly spicy. Nothing terribly complicated here, but drinkable and pleasant enough.

Mouthfeel: Well balanced, with medium body, flavor and carbonation. Just about average, but well crafted.

Overall: The high ABV is surprising- the alcohol is not present. This is perhaps more of an English IPA, more malty and sweet than hoppy and bitter, but nice nonetheless. Sessionable for sure. A tad unexciting, but it does the job. As for the organic stuff... can you tell? And who cares anyway? :-)

Serving type: growler

06-11-2011 02:28:21 | More by DoubleSimcoe
Avantyawn

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

Growler fill, poured into Imperial pint glass.

A: Golden amber, huge pillowy head, looks pretty good.

S: hmmm, its all biscuity malts and sweet caramel like scent. For an IPA, it is way too malt forward smelling. I am not impressed.

T: The taste is similar to the smell, slightly better, but I can't say I am enjoying this very much. There is a slight hoppy floral kick at the end, but it is so muted by this buttery sweetness which I find really not too tasty.

M: Very creamy, medium thick mouthfeel.

O: Overall, I hate to give bad reviews but this beer just isn't cutting it for me. I like Peak's King Crimson offering very much, but this just doesn't have enough hop bite and is too creamy and buttery, not characteristics I enjoy in an IPA. I can't even say this tastes much like an IPA in style. It almost tastes more like some bad British bitter or something. Sorry, but I don't like this beer. Also, the high APV isn't doing the flavor, or lack of it, any favors. I don't quite understand the goal of this beer.

Serving type: growler

05-13-2011 21:58:13 | More by Avantyawn
illpass78

Maine

3.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a 12 oz. glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear orange with a white head that sticks around for a few minutes. Carbonation more than average and lacing heavy.

Aroma: Pine and citrus dominate along with hop bitterness. Smells like an IPA.

Taste: Pretty standard IPA-type flavors. Lemon, orange, citrus, and lots of hop bite. Alcohol is muted despite the somewhat high ABV.

Mouthfeel: This is pleasant to drink. Some IPAs are basically like drinking alcoholic Lysol; this isn't one of them.

Overall: Pretty good, standard IPA. Nothing wild or fancy, but would appeal to casual IPA fans and the "I must drink every IPA that exists ever because IPAs are nectar handed down from Zeus in beer form!" crowd. Unlikely to be anyone's favorite, unless they are "organics only" folks, in which case it will almost definitely be their favorite.

03-20-2014 00:58:17 | More by illpass78
trentbent

4.21/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Well shucks, this is an underrated beer (even by myself, preemptively) if I ever had one.
A-great, nothing like too sexy. S-so buttery, T- I don't want to ruin the surprise, but, more buttery. It's like butter paradise. I don't love buttery flavor but it's not like smelling/tasting some artificial butter flavor, it's like smelling/tasting amarillo, simcoe and nugget hops in a beer that is organic, and how many times have you even had an organic beer? M- medium, buttery, amply carbonated and just right in that sense. O-I bought one of these bottle but now I need a sixpack. Do you know how rarely that happens?! Well it'd happen more often if this here American craft brew scene weren't so darn crowded. pleasedrinkthis.

edit: I enjoyed the butteriness in this beer, and recall not enjoying it much in California chardonnays. I now have learned (from other reviews of this beer) that the buttery taste is caused by diacetyl (thanks for pushing me to read up, ya'll). I will buy this beer again and update the review if it's not so apparent. I had only bought one bottle because I was mixing a six-pack to try new things.

02-22-2014 04:21:13 | More by trentbent
mikeg67

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours orange with long lasting, foamy, white head. Aroma is citrusy hops, biscuit malt and orange marmalade. Body is medium and tangy. A lot of citrusy hops, biscuit malt and tropical fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long and very hoppy. Overall it is tasty IPA.

01-01-2014 16:29:45 | More by mikeg67
marclande

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Very floral, hoppy, delicious feel in mouth.
Enjoyed the taste... a light body but full flavor. I love IPAs and this one suits me perfectly.
Not to hoppy, not to light, just the right amount of flavor.
and 7ABV... we all know the real reason we drink (the beer snobs are in denial, but we drink.. to feel drunk (or buzzed). If you drinking for the flavor and taste then go get some TEA! its way better for ya. But i'm drinking for the buzz.... and at 7ABV and a great taste I give this beer a 4.5!

12-18-2013 07:30:35 | More by marclande
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz Bottle from Party Source Syracuse NY for $2.50 tax in

Appearance - Slightly hazy gold colour with an average size white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 4-5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, apricots, grapefruits

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, grapefruits, and hops. There is also some caramel and apricots and a touch of corn syrup.

Overall - Better than I was expecting. A decent amount of hop bite and a nice mix of fruity/malty flavours. Not at the top of the class, but a beer worth trying.

12-11-2013 01:03:43 | More by spinrsx
clm9

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Puffy head that leaves some nice lacing behind. Pretty light amber color with a red-orange tint.

S: Citrus/fruity hop aroma, very enticing. Smells like it won't be on the bitter side of IPAs. While the smell it does have is quite pleasant, it isn't particularly strong.

T: Taste follows smell to the tee. The hop blend is just sweet enough, and it is less bitter than most IPAs I have tried. Like the smell, the taste isn't that strong, but it is delicious. Almost doesn't taste like an IPA, maybe more like a blend of one with a sweet ale.

M: Leaves a tingly hop presence on back of tongue, not too heavy, and goes down smoothly.

O: I chose this in one of those create-you-own six-pack deals, and wasn't expecting too much as I had not heard of this brewer. Very pleasantly surprised. Would definitely recommend to all.

12-05-2013 18:59:29 | More by clm9
StuyBeerGuy

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

The beer poured with a nice fizzy head that calmed downed in a bubbly one finger head and had a pleasant light golden color that accentuated its liveliness.

The head was complex and had a lot of unique notes to test any sniffers main tool. I picked up some normal smells such as banana, cloves and grapefruit. More interestingly cat urine on a scallion plant likely emanated from the different process required in producing an organic beer.

The taste and mouthfeel seemingly evaporated and affected predominately the middle and back of the mouth. The flavors corresponded to the more unique smells that I have already mentioned. I think it is a good beer that offers interesting pairing combinations since it posseses unique flavors.

In conclusion, the beer is a valiant and green effort that showcases how an IPA and beer in general can be made environmentally friendly.

11-23-2013 01:32:02 | More by StuyBeerGuy
DrJ

3.19/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tasted three times, with subsequent review modifications.

Initially, this ale was very impressive, but with subsequent tastings from different six-pack samples, adverse attributes became apparent, which likely reflects handling/ storage conditions.

Orange bronzed color, fair head retention, aromas of grapefruit initially that regrettably evolved over time with samples from different six-packs as the beer warmed to male tomcat urine, flavors of citrus fruits with an oddly medicinal sweetness noticed with other six-pack samples that extends into the finish.

11-01-2013 13:52:15 | More by DrJ
DIM

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

a: Chill hazed dark golden; poured with a medium sized fizzy head.

s: Pine and onion-y citrus plus short bread and sugar cookies.

t: Odd sweetness, hard to describe. Kind of a sharp toffee and short bread? Amarillo shines through with some candy onion, not my favorite hop. Noticeable alcohol and lingering medicinal bitterness.

m: Sticky and kind of heavy.

o: Just not my kind of IPA.

10-13-2013 12:26:56 | More by DIM
Tinfang

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Sammy Smith pint glass. Clear light copper with no head and thus no retention.

Smell is not pronounced.

Mouthfeel is substantial and pleasant.

IPA reviews seem to be highly personal. I find Samuel Smith to be lacking and a number recent reviews of this ale said some fairly disparaging things. On the other hand Stone Brewing products are way over the top for my pallete and a number of their beers appear in the Top 250. Seems like there's a whole hop vine in every bottle. Peak's IPA suits me perfectly. The malt base is unobtrusive, and the hop presence is lingering and complex. Piney notes become floral and herbal as the ale warms. The hops are dominant but not scarily so.

A characteristic that makes me prefer this IPA to others is the persistence of the hops taste in the mouth. I get to enjoy that flavor between sips. Perhaps this is the result of organic hops.

I will definitely buy this ale again.

09-15-2013 19:39:28 | More by Tinfang
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.74/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated January 2014. Sampled on September 5, 2013.

The pour is amber-orange with a slight white head that simmers down to a ring. Slightly cloudy.

There is a balanced nose between earthy hops and biscuit malts. It also has a little buttery note as well as Shipyard's Ringwood yeast character.

The body falls into the medium range with a little astringency.

The taste is about as well balanced as the nose with a good mix of earthy hips and biscuit malts coming into play. The finish is low to moderate but does not linger long. It is the kind of IPA I prefer because it is not in my face.

09-05-2013 23:23:57 | More by puboflyons
argock

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Best by Jan 2014 notched on side of label. Single purchased at World Market (Charottesville, VA).

A: Nearly clear straw-gold with 2-finger off-white frothy head with good retention and a good stripe of lace ringing the top of the glass.

S: Meaty, catty, mild pine, dank hoppiness with a reasonable light caramel malt aroma. No yeast aromas.

T: The meaty hops flavor that I am not a fan of and that is present in the aroma is dominant with some pine and light grapefruit accents. I am not sure what this meaty flavor comes from, but I wonder if it is a English malt/Simcoe combination. I would have sworn that they used Columbus in this beer because that is usually what I associate that aroma and flavor with, but I think I am wrong because Peak Organic at least doesn't admit to any Columbus hops in this recipe. There is no yeast component, and the bitterness is medium to maybe a little more. Certainly not an unpleasant beer but I am not a fan of that flavor style.

M: Mouthfeel is decent with average carbonation and light-medium body. A little slickness but pretty dry.

O: A pretty good beer but I had higher hopes for this one after loving their dry-hopped Summer Wheat Ale. If you are a lover of dank hoppiness, you will probably like this beer. It reminds me a lot of Sixpoint Bengali Tiger -- same meaty weird flavor that all of their ales have.

09-05-2013 02:34:30 | More by argock
TheMarkE

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Nice amber/orange color with heavy lacing and plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Citrus, pine, floral.

Taste: Citrus pine, floral, bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly creamy, with a significant bitter aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. Hoppy and very bitter with just enough malts to provide a friendly wave in the general direction of balanced. Better quality than I was expecting, if they could cut back on the bitter while retaining the hoppiness they would have a top quality beer.

08-05-2013 20:20:36 | More by TheMarkE
mactrail

3.04/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I haven't smelled many IPAs with the famous cat pee aroma, but this is one of them. It's not catnip to me. The appearance is fine, with a clear, orangey golden color in the Duvel tulip. Modest head and plenty of carbonation.

Man, is this ever a funny flavor. Some malt and a slight stickiness. Kind of an anemic maltiness-- the sugar without any warmth. Hops are herbaceous, weedy, dank, dirty. Nothing spicy or flowery. In fact, it's not like most hops I've encountered. And that smell just does not go away.

Rather thin and bitter and not very drinkable. I blame the ditch weed hops. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Trader Joe's.

07-30-2013 06:32:36 | More by mactrail
andyfrancis

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass, almost totally clear golden body, frothy beige eggshell bubbles formed a 2" head that's settled down into a nice clumpy 1/4" cap.

Strong smell of grassy, piney, fresh hops. Very bright, effervescent aroma. Some sweet malt just before it hits your lips.

Bummer...underwhelming and a hint of wet paper flavor, so I'll probably give this one another shot to be fair. Hops and malt are both present, but somehow don't mesh very well. It feels like every bit of the 7% abv.

Watery yet heavy, with almost no detectable carbonation. Leaves a spicy, waxy coating.

07-28-2013 22:11:51 | More by andyfrancis
Boxus

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

Browsing the reviews for this beer, I see a wide range of reactions. It seems a love-it-or-hate-it brew. I'm more on the love-it side - though I wouldn't rank it among my top IPA's, I enjoyed it greatly and will buy again.

I poured it out into a curved pint glass, took a whiff, and I was delighted by the smell. Pure sweet citrus aroma. This beer is light in color, a muted tan, with a small head and some nice lacing. I drank it while snacking on bread and salami.

I enjoyed the flavor right from the start. Attack is very much on the sweet side, with a heavy rush of citrus hops and not much else. The decay of the flavor is mixed, with a flat malty note giving the beer an quality that could almost be unpleasantly medicinal if it was stronger. Luckily that flavor is mostly kept in harmony with the sweeter tones, so it leaves me with a satisfying finish overall.

The hop profile reminds me somewhat of Green Flash's West Coast IPA, which is one of my favorites. This beer is not as good, but overall I think it's a damn fine IPA with a very appealing citrus rush, and I plan to pick up more soon!

07-26-2013 22:10:32 | More by Boxus
Omnium

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Poured a nice gold color, two finger white foamy head, good lacing.
S - Fresh cut grass, floral hops, some nice light citrus, lemon especially.
T - Clean and bright flavors, nice light grassy to it with a touch of lemon, a mild fresh bread malt taste. Very drinkable.
M - Crisp and refreshing, excellent balance.
O - This is a stellar single IPA, and you do not taste or feel the 7.2% at all, good choice for a year round IPA.

07-15-2013 01:16:05 | More by Omnium
notchucknorris

3.04/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear golden color with a good amount of visible carbonation. A sort of flimsy one finger white head forms, but settles pretty quickly.

S: At first, it smells pretty good. Candied citrus, grapefruit, and tangerine. But as it warms a touch, it gets a bit rough. Musty, dander-y and just not that good.

T: The balance in this is way off. A slight citrus hit upfront, but then a strange sour flavor creeps in with some heavy malt and resin. Finish is peppery and resiny without any good flavors to speak of. This is a miss.

07-12-2013 20:40:31 | More by notchucknorris
utopiajane

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Pours hazy orange with a generous head of foam that lasted well . Shrank slowly to some impressive craggy lace. Nose is tantalizing with absolutely fresh sweet citrus hops that smell like they are in bloom in the glass. A little dank, a little forest floor too. A respectable malt presence in the nose with light grain, honey and biscuit. Drank well at first and followed the nose with a little pine, some earthy yeast quality and some hops bitter. The malt disappeared somewhat but it did offer a little butter and toast and a little sweetness. Then as it warmed the character changed into something downright vegetal, leafy like lettuce & even a little corn. Malt is too far in back at this point. Tasted muddy, not really clear or crisp. Finished bitter and tried to be dry. Would not buy again.

06-12-2013 08:48:56 | More by utopiajane
JG-90

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into glass gives a small quickly dissipating head but leaves moderate/heavy lacing. Beer is a clear, bright, golden straw color. Smells of grapefuit, piney, floral, and orange hops. Also had a bit of a bready aroma.

Taste starts with orange and grapefruit, then pine, with a floral finish. A light breadiness with toasty and nutty malts is present throughout, but does not match the intensity of the hop flavors (although this is still by no means a "hop bomb"). Mouthfeel is on the lighter side for an IPA, with high carbonation. I think this is a solid IPA, not a very hoppy one, but one that many people would like.

05-29-2013 19:36:16 | More by JG-90
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, 7.1% ABV, the last part of the mixed pack currently available way the hell up over and here in Alberta.

This beer pours a glassy medium golden amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, cushioned off-white head, which leaves some hovering mothership lace around the glass as it fairly slowly sinks away.

It smells of musty citrus rind (grapefruit and oranges left too long in the bottom fridge drawer), bready caramel malt, a bit of pine needle, some soft white onion notes, and spicy leafy, earth hops. The taste is muddled citrus peel, only somewhat tempered in its bitterness, with a stronger herbal, leafy hoppiness taking center stage a little too quickly, over a weakly sweet pale maltiness, borne of soft caramel and/or toffee, while the higher-end ABV actually remains rather well hidden.

The carbonation is pretty understated, though still supportive enough, the body an adequate medium weight, and mostly smooth, with a shallow fading pithiness. It finishes off-dry, the pale malt somehow able to counter the remnants of that aspirational hop bill.

Bitter? Erm, yes. Hoppy? Sure. Agreeably IPA-ish? Sort of. This particular offering is just too understated, somehow weirdly musty, as opposed to the crisp edginess one might expect for any particular version of the style. And then there's that subtle onion character - nope, not really what anyone really should expect from a true and blue Yankee IPA. Close, but, well, 'come again'.

04-24-2013 05:10:27 | More by biboergosum
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden orangish color with a half finger of white head.

Smell is grapefruit, pine, lemon and a little honey.

Taste is bitter grapefruit up front, lemon, lime, pine, and finishes bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel is medium light with tangy carnonation.

Good IPA, More bitter then most, no balance here what so ever... If you are looking to have your palate blown off by hop flavor then give this one a try. If you are someone who tends to like balanced IPA you may want to pass on this one.

03-31-2013 19:03:27 | More by nickapalooza86
ThomasMetal75

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A- Orangey Copper. Mostly clear. Head is thick and sudsy like a good IPA should be, and dies to a nice lacing around the glass.

S- WOW! Deep hop aroma on this one! Sent is over powering citrus and floral notes, with a slightly pungent alcohol in the background.

T- WOO-WEE! Intense bitterness slams your palate. It has a long lasting finish, making it excellent with food. Tastes are the same as the nose: that "overpowering" citrus and floral notes. This beer is dank! The alcohol is very upfront, but on the way down it doesn't burn. Slight malt flavor, but hardly there.

M- Medium mouthfeel. It does have some weight to it. Fairly carbonated. If you like a hoppy beer, you might find this very drinkable. If you don't, then you may not find it drinkable. it's better with food then alone. It's so hop forward it's not easy to just drink alone.

*Overall, I was not expecting this beer to be so intense. It's a hop head's dream come true. I think the only real downfall was it hit you too hard with hops on first sip and was not balanced enough by malts to smooth it out. Would I drink this again, you bet. Would I go out of my way to find some Peak Organic IPA? Not really. Real nice IPA!

03-26-2013 23:27:12 | More by ThomasMetal75