Microbrew Invitational

Peak Organic IPAPeak Organic IPA

Peak Organic Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

Added by WanderingFool on 04-17-2009

Reviews: 190 | Ratings: 682
3.04/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: A clear, orange gold color. Decent retention. Nice lacing.

Nose: vanilla, lemon, lime, sweet orange.

Taste: Crisp and refreshing. Nicely balanced malt and hop bitterness. An almost sour and biscuity finish. The finish is a little metallic and dry.

Notes: A nice take on the style. It lacks anything noteworthy.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

A: hazy; an orangish copper; 1 finger creamy white head that receded quickly to a thin film; nice lacing;

S: a little lemon and pine, earthiness is predominant;

T: earthiness all the way; not fruit until the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; creamy;

O: the nose and flavor didn't work for me; other reviewers had a much different experience, so I'll try it again at some point;

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a light, clear, golden yellow in color when held up to the light, however comes off a bit more coppery otherwise. A generous amount of creamy white foam sits atop that leaves plenty of lacing as you drink. Carbonation levels are moderate and head retention is excellent. Doesn't get much better from an appearance perspective, although it does look to be a bit on the thinner side.

S: Floral and grassy with a sweet, cloying butter, toffee and vanilla undertone. Lots of cream corn, hints of lime. Barely hop-centric, as there is a strong light malt profile presence there to balance it out. Not a bad thing, off to a great start here.

T: Follows the nose quite well. Floral and grassy up front with a mellowing, light, toasty malt middle which meshes with a bitter grapefruit rind and lime finish that lingers long into the aftertaste. At 7.20% ABV, the alcohol is barely distinguishable until the final swallow.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation, this one feels creamy on the tongue and has an ample amount of chewiness. Some hop oiliness is present on the tongue, but it is far from a palate wrecker. Finishes crisp and clean but not dry. This is a perfect example of what an IPA should strive for if it aims to be both complex and drinkable.

O: Honestly, I was quite blown away by this one. I knew it would be good, based on ratings, but to me this is much better than the B average it has been given thus far. Yes, it will not please those seeking the trendy West Coast IPA hop bombs, and it won't blow you away with flavor or complexity, but seriously, judge this for what it is: a classic, balanced American IPA that is very tasty and quite sessionable, even at a higher ABV. Did I mention that it's from an organic, sustainable brewery? It doesn't get much better, folks. Stop being snobs and just savor the flavor. Can't wait to come back for more. Peak Organic is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Slightly hazy light amber body with two fingers of bubbly head. Nice retention but no lacing to speak of.

S - Tons of tart citrus hops.

T - Citrus hops up front, lime and floral. Very subtle doughy malts and no real alcohol present.

M - Light body with moderate/high carbonation. Beer is slick and slightly resinous.

O - Not bad but nothing to write home about. The flavors are really one note; citrus hops and that's about it. Not a bad session beer.

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Illpass78 nailed it! This is not the finest IPA but certainly serves as a great Summer Brew. I bought a six pack at Trader Joes in Palo Alto since it had a good rating on BA. Way good for an Organic Beer, how many of those are around? Another good one to share with friends and see what they think.

4.8/5  rDev +30.4%

I went to Redwood City looking for an IPA at a small brewery, ... I found it and was not impressed.
So, my wife and I went into town to get a bite to eat. What a surprise - "Aly's on Main" had a beer on tap from Mass. I asked the bartender about the beer and he stated that this restaurant was one of 3 on the west coast that carried it. Here it is: clean, crisp, and refreshing. It was unfiltered, so their was a bit of turbidity and they used whole hops. The mouth feel was fantastic and the bite at the end was exactly what I was hoping for. The food was better than expected and the beer was fantastic. I will drive the 80 mile round trip for this again.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a 12 oz. glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear orange with a white head that sticks around for a few minutes. Carbonation more than average and lacing heavy.

Aroma: Pine and citrus dominate along with hop bitterness. Smells like an IPA.

Taste: Pretty standard IPA-type flavors. Lemon, orange, citrus, and lots of hop bite. Alcohol is muted despite the somewhat high ABV.

Mouthfeel: This is pleasant to drink. Some IPAs are basically like drinking alcoholic Lysol; this isn't one of them.

Overall: Pretty good, standard IPA. Nothing wild or fancy, but would appeal to casual IPA fans and the "I must drink every IPA that exists ever because IPAs are nectar handed down from Zeus in beer form!" crowd. Unlikely to be anyone's favorite, unless they are "organics only" folks, in which case it will almost definitely be their favorite.

4.17/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Well shucks, this is an underrated beer (even by myself, preemptively) if I ever had one.
A-great, nothing like too sexy. S-so buttery, T- I don't want to ruin the surprise, but, more buttery. It's like butter paradise. I don't love buttery flavor but it's not like smelling/tasting some artificial butter flavor, it's like smelling/tasting amarillo, simcoe and nugget hops in a beer that is organic, and how many times have you even had an organic beer? M- medium, buttery, amply carbonated and just right in that sense. O-I bought one of these bottle but now I need a sixpack. Do you know how rarely that happens?! Well it'd happen more often if this here American craft brew scene weren't so darn crowded. pleasedrinkthis.

edit: I enjoyed the butteriness in this beer, and recall not enjoying it much in California chardonnays. I now have learned (from other reviews of this beer) that the buttery taste is caused by diacetyl (thanks for pushing me to read up, ya'll). I will buy this beer again and update the review if it's not so apparent. I had only bought one bottle because I was mixing a six-pack to try new things.

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours orange with long lasting, foamy, white head. Aroma is citrusy hops, biscuit malt and orange marmalade. Body is medium and tangy. A lot of citrusy hops, biscuit malt and tropical fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long and very hoppy. Overall it is tasty IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Very floral, hoppy, delicious feel in mouth.
Enjoyed the taste... a light body but full flavor. I love IPAs and this one suits me perfectly.
Not to hoppy, not to light, just the right amount of flavor.
and 7ABV... we all know the real reason we drink (the beer snobs are in denial, but we drink.. to feel drunk (or buzzed). If you drinking for the flavor and taste then go get some TEA! its way better for ya. But i'm drinking for the buzz.... and at 7ABV and a great taste I give this beer a 4.5!

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz Bottle from Party Source Syracuse NY for $2.50 tax in

Appearance - Slightly hazy gold colour with an average size white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 4-5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, apricots, grapefruits

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, grapefruits, and hops. There is also some caramel and apricots and a touch of corn syrup.

Overall - Better than I was expecting. A decent amount of hop bite and a nice mix of fruity/malty flavours. Not at the top of the class, but a beer worth trying.

4.39/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Puffy head that leaves some nice lacing behind. Pretty light amber color with a red-orange tint.

S: Citrus/fruity hop aroma, very enticing. Smells like it won't be on the bitter side of IPAs. While the smell it does have is quite pleasant, it isn't particularly strong.

T: Taste follows smell to the tee. The hop blend is just sweet enough, and it is less bitter than most IPAs I have tried. Like the smell, the taste isn't that strong, but it is delicious. Almost doesn't taste like an IPA, maybe more like a blend of one with a sweet ale.

M: Leaves a tingly hop presence on back of tongue, not too heavy, and goes down smoothly.

O: I chose this in one of those create-you-own six-pack deals, and wasn't expecting too much as I had not heard of this brewer. Very pleasantly surprised. Would definitely recommend to all.

3.36/5  rDev -8.7%

The beer poured with a nice fizzy head that calmed downed in a bubbly one finger head and had a pleasant light golden color that accentuated its liveliness.

The head was complex and had a lot of unique notes to test any sniffers main tool. I picked up some normal smells such as banana, cloves and grapefruit. More interestingly cat urine on a scallion plant likely emanated from the different process required in producing an organic beer.

The taste and mouthfeel seemingly evaporated and affected predominately the middle and back of the mouth. The flavors corresponded to the more unique smells that I have already mentioned. I think it is a good beer that offers interesting pairing combinations since it posseses unique flavors.

In conclusion, the beer is a valiant and green effort that showcases how an IPA and beer in general can be made environmentally friendly.

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tasted three times, with subsequent review modifications.

Initially, this ale was very impressive, but with subsequent tastings from different six-pack samples, adverse attributes became apparent, which likely reflects handling/ storage conditions.

Orange bronzed color, fair head retention, aromas of grapefruit initially that regrettably evolved over time with samples from different six-packs as the beer warmed to male tomcat urine, flavors of citrus fruits with an oddly medicinal sweetness noticed with other six-pack samples that extends into the finish.

3.14/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

a: Chill hazed dark golden; poured with a medium sized fizzy head.

s: Pine and onion-y citrus plus short bread and sugar cookies.

t: Odd sweetness, hard to describe. Kind of a sharp toffee and short bread? Amarillo shines through with some candy onion, not my favorite hop. Noticeable alcohol and lingering medicinal bitterness.

m: Sticky and kind of heavy.

o: Just not my kind of IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Sammy Smith pint glass. Clear light copper with no head and thus no retention.

Smell is not pronounced.

Mouthfeel is substantial and pleasant.

IPA reviews seem to be highly personal. I find Samuel Smith to be lacking and a number recent reviews of this ale said some fairly disparaging things. On the other hand Stone Brewing products are way over the top for my pallete and a number of their beers appear in the Top 250. Seems like there's a whole hop vine in every bottle. Peak's IPA suits me perfectly. The malt base is unobtrusive, and the hop presence is lingering and complex. Piney notes become floral and herbal as the ale warms. The hops are dominant but not scarily so.

A characteristic that makes me prefer this IPA to others is the persistence of the hops taste in the mouth. I get to enjoy that flavor between sips. Perhaps this is the result of organic hops.

I will definitely buy this ale again.

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated January 2014. Sampled on September 5, 2013.

The pour is amber-orange with a slight white head that simmers down to a ring. Slightly cloudy.

There is a balanced nose between earthy hops and biscuit malts. It also has a little buttery note as well as Shipyard's Ringwood yeast character.

The body falls into the medium range with a little astringency.

The taste is about as well balanced as the nose with a good mix of earthy hips and biscuit malts coming into play. The finish is low to moderate but does not linger long. It is the kind of IPA I prefer because it is not in my face.

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Best by Jan 2014 notched on side of label. Single purchased at World Market (Charottesville, VA).

A: Nearly clear straw-gold with 2-finger off-white frothy head with good retention and a good stripe of lace ringing the top of the glass.

S: Meaty, catty, mild pine, dank hoppiness with a reasonable light caramel malt aroma. No yeast aromas.

T: The meaty hops flavor that I am not a fan of and that is present in the aroma is dominant with some pine and light grapefruit accents. I am not sure what this meaty flavor comes from, but I wonder if it is a English malt/Simcoe combination. I would have sworn that they used Columbus in this beer because that is usually what I associate that aroma and flavor with, but I think I am wrong because Peak Organic at least doesn't admit to any Columbus hops in this recipe. There is no yeast component, and the bitterness is medium to maybe a little more. Certainly not an unpleasant beer but I am not a fan of that flavor style.

M: Mouthfeel is decent with average carbonation and light-medium body. A little slickness but pretty dry.

O: A pretty good beer but I had higher hopes for this one after loving their dry-hopped Summer Wheat Ale. If you are a lover of dank hoppiness, you will probably like this beer. It reminds me a lot of Sixpoint Bengali Tiger -- same meaty weird flavor that all of their ales have.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Nice amber/orange color with heavy lacing and plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Citrus, pine, floral.

Taste: Citrus pine, floral, bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly creamy, with a significant bitter aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. Hoppy and very bitter with just enough malts to provide a friendly wave in the general direction of balanced. Better quality than I was expecting, if they could cut back on the bitter while retaining the hoppiness they would have a top quality beer.

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I haven't smelled many IPAs with the famous cat pee aroma, but this is one of them. It's not catnip to me. The appearance is fine, with a clear, orangey golden color in the Duvel tulip. Modest head and plenty of carbonation.

Man, is this ever a funny flavor. Some malt and a slight stickiness. Kind of an anemic maltiness-- the sugar without any warmth. Hops are herbaceous, weedy, dank, dirty. Nothing spicy or flowery. In fact, it's not like most hops I've encountered. And that smell just does not go away.

Rather thin and bitter and not very drinkable. I blame the ditch weed hops. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Trader Joe's.

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass, almost totally clear golden body, frothy beige eggshell bubbles formed a 2" head that's settled down into a nice clumpy 1/4" cap.

Strong smell of grassy, piney, fresh hops. Very bright, effervescent aroma. Some sweet malt just before it hits your lips.

Bummer...underwhelming and a hint of wet paper flavor, so I'll probably give this one another shot to be fair. Hops and malt are both present, but somehow don't mesh very well. It feels like every bit of the 7% abv.

Watery yet heavy, with almost no detectable carbonation. Leaves a spicy, waxy coating.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Browsing the reviews for this beer, I see a wide range of reactions. It seems a love-it-or-hate-it brew. I'm more on the love-it side - though I wouldn't rank it among my top IPA's, I enjoyed it greatly and will buy again.

I poured it out into a curved pint glass, took a whiff, and I was delighted by the smell. Pure sweet citrus aroma. This beer is light in color, a muted tan, with a small head and some nice lacing. I drank it while snacking on bread and salami.

I enjoyed the flavor right from the start. Attack is very much on the sweet side, with a heavy rush of citrus hops and not much else. The decay of the flavor is mixed, with a flat malty note giving the beer an quality that could almost be unpleasantly medicinal if it was stronger. Luckily that flavor is mostly kept in harmony with the sweeter tones, so it leaves me with a satisfying finish overall.

The hop profile reminds me somewhat of Green Flash's West Coast IPA, which is one of my favorites. This beer is not as good, but overall I think it's a damn fine IPA with a very appealing citrus rush, and I plan to pick up more soon!

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Poured a nice gold color, two finger white foamy head, good lacing.
S - Fresh cut grass, floral hops, some nice light citrus, lemon especially.
T - Clean and bright flavors, nice light grassy to it with a touch of lemon, a mild fresh bread malt taste. Very drinkable.
M - Crisp and refreshing, excellent balance.
O - This is a stellar single IPA, and you do not taste or feel the 7.2% at all, good choice for a year round IPA.

3.07/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear golden color with a good amount of visible carbonation. A sort of flimsy one finger white head forms, but settles pretty quickly.

S: At first, it smells pretty good. Candied citrus, grapefruit, and tangerine. But as it warms a touch, it gets a bit rough. Musty, dander-y and just not that good.

T: The balance in this is way off. A slight citrus hit upfront, but then a strange sour flavor creeps in with some heavy malt and resin. Finish is peppery and resiny without any good flavors to speak of. This is a miss.

2.84/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Pours hazy orange with a generous head of foam that lasted well . Shrank slowly to some impressive craggy lace. Nose is tantalizing with absolutely fresh sweet citrus hops that smell like they are in bloom in the glass. A little dank, a little forest floor too. A respectable malt presence in the nose with light grain, honey and biscuit. Drank well at first and followed the nose with a little pine, some earthy yeast quality and some hops bitter. The malt disappeared somewhat but it did offer a little butter and toast and a little sweetness. Then as it warmed the character changed into something downright vegetal, leafy like lettuce & even a little corn. Malt is too far in back at this point. Tasted muddy, not really clear or crisp. Finished bitter and tried to be dry. Would not buy again.

Peak Organic IPA from Peak Organic Brewing Company