Peak Organic IPA - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic IPAPeak Organic IPA

good

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

(Beer added by: WanderingFool on 04-17-2009)
3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours with a warm, hazy, medium-orange color and a big, fluffy white head. The aroma is light and pleasant, with a floral, herbal hop character that is contrasted by a little bit of caramel sweetness. The flavor is again largely herbal, but there is also a sweet citrus component that for some reason reminds me of orange soda. The pleasantness is broken a bit by a kind of non-specific resinous bitterness that I can only describe as being similar to eating plant stems and grapefruit rinds. The finely-carbonated, almost creamy texture helps to at least partially cover for this strange bitterness. Overall, however, although the aroma and flavor have a nice brightness indicative of a fresh IPA, the muddled bitterness keeps this beer from standing out.

devilben02, May 26, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

A - The beer pours with half a finger of white foam that rests, angelically, on top of a lightly hazy, amber colored body. The foam settles fairly rapidly and leaves moderate lace.

S - Herbal, pine hop character with some grapefruit. Spicy caramel and bread malt notes balance things out in the background.

T - Some bread and toast malt notes up front with a spicy hop character. Caramel comes out in the middle with a bit of pine hop flavor and clove. Things finish up with bready malt moderate bitterness along with a lingering grapefruit hop character.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - Pretty drinkable, though I have come to expect a bit more from this brewery based on their other offerings. This is the one, explicitly "organic" brewery that has consistently impressed me with their beer but this might be the weakest effort I have had from them thus far. The hops are kind of muddy and a bit too weak for the malt. Caramel and toffee seem to push back against the sugar and it allows the malt to verge on cloying in the finish.

nickfl, May 18, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours copper-orange in color with a two finger off-white head that is leaving behind plenty of lace. Pretty good clarity (an ever so slight haze).

Smell is a good mix of malts and grassy hops.

I'm getting a grassy hop flavor in the taste as well. Pretty balanced by the malts, but the hops come back in to play towards the end and finish things off with a lingering bitterness.

Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

A pretty good Ipa. Maybe just a little to malty for my taste, but that's just me.

Morey's Bottom Line: I found this by chance at a little convenience store in Findley Lake, NY. I thought for sure that it was going to be out of date, but to my surprise...it was actually pretty fresh. Glad I picked it up for $9.99.

Morey, May 14, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

Growler fill, poured into Imperial pint glass.

A: Golden amber, huge pillowy head, looks pretty good.

S: hmmm, its all biscuity malts and sweet caramel like scent. For an IPA, it is way too malt forward smelling. I am not impressed.

T: The taste is similar to the smell, slightly better, but I can't say I am enjoying this very much. There is a slight hoppy floral kick at the end, but it is so muted by this buttery sweetness which I find really not too tasty.

M: Very creamy, medium thick mouthfeel.

O: Overall, I hate to give bad reviews but this beer just isn't cutting it for me. I like Peak's King Crimson offering very much, but this just doesn't have enough hop bite and is too creamy and buttery, not characteristics I enjoy in an IPA. I can't even say this tastes much like an IPA in style. It almost tastes more like some bad British bitter or something. Sorry, but I don't like this beer. Also, the high APV isn't doing the flavor, or lack of it, any favors. I don't quite understand the goal of this beer.

Avantyawn, May 13, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz twist off bottle poured into a bulb style glass. at fridge temp. best enjoyed before OCT 2011.

pours out a clear orange amber color with a nice looking creamy, off white head. good retention with some pretty good lace.

intial whiffs of really fresh citric pine whole flower hops, but then it quickly goes to some buttery diactyl malt rather quickly. not sure what to think of this, last night i was drinking this and i remembered that i love how it smelled, just like hops when you pick them.

not much better of a taste. citrus and pine are there with lots of resins, but the buttery diactyl is still there. some biscuity malt. also slightly vegetal like and just a hint of a cinnamin/ pepper spice on the backend. a wierd almost yeasty light acidity. still has nice bitterness. dry finish.

not sure what to think of this, the bottle i had last night was much better. i purchased a sixer of this at wegmans, ill have to re review the last bottle.

dogfishandi, Apr 17, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was a little apprehensive to try this beer when my buddy brought it over because I'm not really into the whole organic craze and I think it's kind of a joke. But I figured I would give it a shot and it turned out to be a decent beer.

Poured an orangish amber color with an average amount of white head on it. Aroma has quite a bit of malt up front with some hops as well - I thought it would be the other way around. Taste is fairly balanced and pretty deccent. A little weak maybe, I could use a stronger flavor. Not bad though. Light bodied beer, mouthfeel is a little thin but still OK. Overall not a bad IPA.

richkrull, Apr 14, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

12oz best by August, reviewed in late March.

Slightly dark for an IPA, amber hues and a rather small head that leaves some lacing.

Smells of minty, leafy, herbal hops.

Flavor has a biscuity, nutty malt backbone with a lot of herbal hop flavors atop it. Somewhere in here is some citrus, but I get mostly herbs, mint, grass, various leafy flavors.

Mouthfeel is about right. Probably the only thing I can't find a flaw with here.

I'm guessing the flavor will change as this sits a bit, but fresh it's way too herbal for me. Reminds me of how Lake Placid IPA tasted fresh.

musicforairports, Apr 02, 2011

12 oz. bottle, best by 8/11,

A: Pours a light orange with a firm medium white head, a bit fizzy looking, but good retention and lace.

S: Hint of sweet malt, with a very weedy (I mean the plants you pull out of your lawn, not pot) smell, vegetables.

T: Good malt character, crystal and biscuity. The hop character is unique, it is very salad like - notes of dandelion greens, radicchio and lettuce. Quite intriguing at times, but a clear difference from the citrus and pine dominated West Coast efforts.

M: Medium-bodied, pretty smooth, fresh, crisp carbonation.

O: This is a hard beer to review because it is so different than what I am used to expecting in the IPA category. This is vegetal, don't get into this if you don't like these flavours. But it's a fun beer, and it's uniqueness makes it well worth a pickup.

Halcyondays, Mar 27, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

This is the first review I've written where there has been an "overall" category in lieu of the old familiar "drinkability."

Anyway...

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a large red wine glass.

A: A hazy deep orange with one finger of rapidly vanishing foam. Good lacing with a couple large soap bubbles. It's a pretty beer, but I expect such good things appearance-wise from IPAs. It's sort of like the most "average" member of the Swedish Bikini Team.

S: Right off the bat the old familiar aromas of pine and citrus launch in. But I also get notes of ripe pineapple, honey, fresh green apples, and a mossy undertone that definitely caught me off guard. Well played, Peak Organic.

T: There's a rush of the familiar pine and citrus fruit at the beginning and a very abrupt transition to a solid wall of bitter hops. The finish has decent sustain and a peak of sweet hints of honey, malt, and some piney hops. No hint of alcohol on this bad boy. I am shocked that this IPA weighs in at just over 7 points. All that being said, I wish the overall presentation were not quite so abrupt. There are good flavors in there, but they rush by.

M: The mouthfeel creamy and silky smooth.

O: Overall, this beer is an excellent representation of the style. It delivers the hallmark pine and citrus hops one has come to expect from a North American IPA, but mercifully, is not overdone. The 7% ABV is not noticeable. I am sure that having just come home from the gym and not eaten dinner yet I will be feeling it soon. This beer is an excellent choice for anyone who is introducing friends to craft single IPAs, or for fans of the style.

Boppar, Mar 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a fresh pale malt scent along with a mildly aggressive hop character and a sweet smelling Ringwood yeast aroma. The taste is decent as well. Again, it's incredibly fresh tasting with lots of yeast character. However, the hop content is lacking. It does drink well and thrives with it's simple malt bill. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a tasty beer, but nothing to write home about. It's incredibly drinkable as well as organic.

WesWes, Mar 23, 2011

White fluffy head builds to about 2 fingers deep. Lots of lacing left behind. The slightest haze in this orange colored beer.

Aroma is nice, quite green with a cut grass edge. More pine focused and with a sweet finish.

Very toasted malt focused. Vegetal/citrus hop flavors. The green from the aroma come through the flavor as well. Not as sweet as the aroma hinted. While there is a fresh tone to this, it's not very inviting. The bitter finish almost seems empty and could use some more depth.

Slightly powdering on the tongue. Carbonation seems a little more like a champagne or sour beer would be. I'd like the body to be a touch more bold.

Not that exciting and certainly not on my list of IPA's to seek in the future. A little let down here after enjoying Simcoe Spring so much.

Reagan1984, Mar 19, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at latitude 42

The color of this IPA was a golden peach color with no head on the top of my pint glass.

The smell of this one reminds me of peaches and lemons with a slight hop character.

I may sound different compared to previous reviewers but this one had a clear taste to me. The taste of this one to me was a huge fruit rush. The first couple of sips I had tasted intensely fruity with lemon and peach covered hops jumping on my taste buds. But the more and more I drank of it the fruitiness died down to leave a pretty tasty IPA. This one has a very interesting flavor that is definitely noteworthy out of all of the IPA's I have tried before.

The mouthfeel of this one was dry and medium bodied, to me it was nice and refreshing on the palate.

Overall this is a pretty good IPA with a different flavor that is definitely welcome in my book. More fruity and citrusy than most others in it's style.

IchabodcraneIpa, Mar 19, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

I pretty much see these beers all the time, good to finally get around to trying them. About 2 months before the freshness notch.

A- Pours out with an amber body and a nice white head. The texture of the cap is creamy and it has pretty nice retention. A nice coat of webbed lace.

S- Caramelized malt is big in the nose, more than I am used to in an IPA. Hops are right there with this and lend citrus, herbal, floral and earthy notes. The caramel is almost like an old ale.

T- The caramelized malt flavors are big here as well, sort of confusingly strong for the style. The hops are mostly herbal and floral with a decent amount of pine and citrus.

MF- Creamy light bodied ale with a moderate level of carbonation. Bitterness is at a moderate level as well.

DB- To me, the hop profile and malt flavors here don't meld amazingly well. It isn't a bad beer but considering how many great IPAs there are out there I wouldn't really see myself getting this one again.

cbutova, Mar 07, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

12oz bottle

A- Pours an orangish golden yellow color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is better than expected. Definitely more malt than I was expecting, but there is also a good dose of fresh citrusy hops as well. This is not a huge IPA in the nose, but it is certainly a very nice, fresh smelling IPA.

T- The taste like the aroma surprised me. There is some sweet malt and caramel up front with the hops coming in next and creating a lingering bitterness in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much from this one going in but I was pleasantly surprised. Not the biggest or brashest IPA on the shelves, but this one is a well-crafted IPA in it's own right that is definitely worth a try.

cjgator3, Mar 03, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

APPEARANCE: Its a good looking beer with a very warm, hazy, medium amber hue. There's a decent head even though it's pretty heavily carbonated and has a high ABV.

SMELL: Very light, almost odorless. Though there is a slight, clean whiff of earthy hops.

TASTE: It's a very average IPA without a lot of character. You'll pick up some piney notes on the finish, but it's not as hoppy as you'd expect from an IPA. I've read several reviews that mentioned caramel as a dominant taste. I didn't really get that. For me, I found it really lacking for any distinctive taste at all.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied with high(ish) carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: It's easy to drink because it doesn't really taste like anything. There's very little bite, considering the high ABV for an IPA.

SERVING TYPE: Cask

VERDICT: I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy Peak's nut brown ale quite a bit. And while I'm not really all that earthy-crunchy, I can get behind organic beers ... if they're good. Until they rework the recipe, I don't really need to drink this again.

Imbibed At:
Julian's Providence, 318 Broadway, Providence, RI |401-861-1770 | http://www.juliansprovidence.com/

Cheers,
John Harvey
Dirtybeerguy.com

DirtybeerguyRI, Mar 02, 2011

Super fresh best before June 2011, pours a slightly hazed copper golden hue with a bright white head billowing above the edge of my imperial pint, fine speckled lacing left behind. Aroma soapy citrus somewhat medicinal like smelling a bag of hop pellets. Flavor is more bitter than anything else, some light sweetness initially with a rush of hop pellets coating your teeth. This beer just blasts hop bitterness without much hop flavor maybe a hint of citrus cleaning products and raw herbaceous bitterness. No balance equates to sucking on a hop pellet which equates to a poorly executed IPA. Mouthfeel light to medium bodied sturdy carbonation, hop resins simply stick to the palate makes you want to brush your teeth and rinse you mouth out. Drinkability is nearly a drain pour a good bit of alcohol at 7.1 % abv is at least well hidden, but the one sided hops displayed mean these people just don't understand the style. If you gotta go organic, I guess you can drink this stuff but I won't be revisiting.

WVbeergeek, Feb 25, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

A: The beer is hazy orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that slowly fades away into delicate lacing.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of citrusy hops in the nose; the smells of grapefruit and oranges stand out in particular. There are some hints of caramel malts.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell with lots of flavors of citrusy hops but these are only accompanied by a mild amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and slightly crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is surprisingly very easy to drink considering its strength and the amount of hop flavors because the alcohol is well hidden from the taste and the low amount of bitterness makes it quite drinkable.

metter98, Feb 17, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Nice clear golden copper color, enjoyed the full inch of head. Nice for the style.

S - Smells of piney hops slight gram cracker malt and sweet caramel base.

T - More hop forward than expected, kind of borderline bitter grapefruit with little malt base to handle. Kind of unbalanced but since drinking Ruination from stone it just seem to be hop good. Still very bitter.

M - Medium bodied, drank rather well for a more ABV based IPA.

D - Not something I would avoid if in a variety case, but not balanced enough to be one of my top IPA's. Still very drinkable and hoppy!

DrDemento456, Feb 14, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Hazy orange-gold with no head whatsoever, just a ring of carbonatiuon around the edge.

The smell is slightly floral hops, but it has an off-putting combination of dish soap and an unripe pear.

Again, unripe white fruits are in the flavor, both apple and pear. It's moderately bitter.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability is good. The light body and good mouthfeel make it easy to swallow, it's just not that interesting.

Vonerichs, Feb 13, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - super clear light amber; good sized head; good lacing

S - earthy notes combined with hoppy overtones -- kinda English-smelling -- Fuggles perhaps? (ed - NOPE!)

T - definitely tastes more like a pale ale on the malty side than an IPA -- an American one at that; very inoffensive to the palate -- perhaps a little unadventurous, like my word choice

M - crisp and clean with a pretty high carbonation level for an IPA

D - super smooth, but not what I go for in an IPA -- bit too malty and subdued for me; still not a bad beer by any means and hides its 7.2% well, plus the organic thing helps ease the load of my human guilt

vapodge, Feb 13, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

This is a pretty good looking IPA. It pours a hazy red-straw colour with obvious apparent carbonation and two fingers of head. Retention is below average, but lacing is great. The smell consists of floral and citrus hops, with some sweet and toasty malts in the back. The taste is very smooth floral hops on the tongue immediately, they gain some spiky edges as the more citrus aspects come in. There's some faint toasted malts in the back keeping it all together. The finish is slightly bitter and very drying. Solid, if unremarkable.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth, and highly carbonated. The drinkability is also fairly good, the ABV is completely masked. A solid beer that could be absolutely great if you care about organics. Worth a try.

shand, Feb 11, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

#86. Another selection by Peak Organic that was found at my local grocer. Price is on the high side ($9.99/Sixer) and doesn't fluctuate. Believe me, I've checked multiple times. Perhaps that price might account for some above average quality. The 7.1% ABV is a pretty interesting note about this beer... other than its organic qualities, whatever they may be within this beer.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a foam/fizz hybrid cream color head which has about average retention. It's super bubbly in the center and thick and lumpy at the edges, which is really interesting. Some lacing is evident through the drink, but it doesn't stick around for long. Color is a deep gold/medium amber shade with some really significant haziness to it. Carbonation is also on high. This beer happens to hold a pretty impressive look, keeping the head quality up despite the higher ABV and a curious but full content underneath. It's impressive. 4

(Smell) Some very clean hops are the dominant aroma here... wonderful! It really captivates the nose, but overshadows most other aromas that this beer could give off. Hops are mostly floral and light, but I also pick up an occasional strong smell of a perfume-like aroma, which I do not often detect. From whiff to whiff a touch of sweet malt and some low acid fruit breaks through. I'm impressed with both the hop quality (which smells fresh and abundant) as well as the potency of the brew in general, which also rose above expectations. Ultimately the smell is quite appealing. 4

(Taste) Wow. Appearances, and even smells can be deceiving. The hop character changes hands within the first sip to leaving behind, not a floral, but a piney taste (quite bitter) but unfortunately little hop flavor beyond, leaving instead room for a malt arrangement to come in. The fruits that I was hoping would fare well in the taste have also taken a back seat to the pine and malt and are hardly noticeable. The balance of hops to malt is almost perfect, but there is a certain character missing from this IPA that impacts it; I'm certain it has to do with the hops, which are high on bitterness and aroma but low on flavor or presence. Could have been just from the cascade hops which give the citrus aroma off. If so, this beer really just needs some more flavoring hops for balance and presence and it'll be A-OK. The bitterness does well to offset the sweet flavor the distinct malt brings, but there's still significant flavor potential absent and it just shouldn't be. Still nice, but needs some fine tuning to become a top-notch IPA. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) A very slight crisp front precedes this beer's thicker, chewy texture. Body is about a light/medium, mostly added by the hop presence and a malty core. Slightly thin without getting watery. It's got a definite dry finish from the hops which show little mercy on the palate. In fact, it may be a bit too much, but it doesn't make it too hard to drink. 3.5

(Drinkability) It is a filling IPA and with an ABV of over 7% only a few more of these would be necessary for a full night's share. However, it is worthy to note that I found this IPA in the better half of ones I have had for having a bigger hop presence and more bold flavor. Considering I find too many beers lacking in the hop category especially when they need them, I am pleased to note that this one delivers. I'm going to have to consider a sixer in the future. And for a $10 a sixer that's saying something. 4.5

Verdict: This beer does really well and may likely be my favorite of a small "organic" series I have sampled in the last month. It doesn't hold back on the hops, giving the beer its tasty bitterness but I needed more flavor and the fruit presence teasing me from the nose just didn't come through like I had hoped. Regardless, everything else is just right and this beer makes one fine IPA. I'm really glad I finally found something decent this week. This bottle's worth the two bucks. B+ (3.8)

Jadjunk, Feb 08, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Light Amber pour with a light fluffy white head. Aroma is stick sweet malt with a touch of grain and light, floral hops. Pine sap makes an appearance as well. Flavor is bland at first, but sweet maltiness edges in in the center, a bit bready. Finishes up with a strikingly bitter, but a tad soapy finish. This is almost really good. But it settles for being decent.

CuriousMonk, Feb 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a white fizzy 1.5 finger head that fades semi slowly over slightly hazy golden orange color.

Nose had some light hops, bit of herbal and grassy but mostly just hop. A light brady malt aromas under that hint of sweet malts, it gives me the feel its not so fresh despite the drink before being next month.

Taste start with some bitter herbal almost UK style hop flavors, semi bitter with a bit of a bitter spicy hip bite, some malts under that giving a bit of sweetness and little bready. A light fruit as well. Finish brings more bitterness as it dries a bit with some lingering herbal hops, a bit of fruit and slight pricy like hop flavor.

Mouth is med to a little lighter bodied with decent carbonation.

Drink is decent, bit of malty back bone giving it balance but a decent hop bitterness.

jlindros, Jan 27, 2011

Reviewed from some notes. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear burnt straw color with about a finger of fluffy white head and it settles down to a small layer of foam. Real grassy aroma with a touch of candied grapefruit rind. The aroma is real sweet and deep with a nice hop balance. Overall though, it's a bit on the sweet side. The flavor follows the nose pretty well. The beer is kind of sweet with a candied grapefruit and finishes nicely with a piney hop flavor. This has a pretty nice noticeable malt backbone to this. Nice medium body on the feel with good soft carbonation. I grabbed this out of the variety pack. I loved the whole thing but this one was really the star. Call me a homer, but I dig this brewery.

Bendurgin, Jan 24, 2011