Peak Organic IPA - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic IPAPeak Organic IPA

good

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

(Beer added by: WanderingFool on 04-17-2009)
3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

I pretty much see these beers all the time, good to finally get around to trying them. About 2 months before the freshness notch.

A- Pours out with an amber body and a nice white head. The texture of the cap is creamy and it has pretty nice retention. A nice coat of webbed lace.

S- Caramelized malt is big in the nose, more than I am used to in an IPA. Hops are right there with this and lend citrus, herbal, floral and earthy notes. The caramel is almost like an old ale.

T- The caramelized malt flavors are big here as well, sort of confusingly strong for the style. The hops are mostly herbal and floral with a decent amount of pine and citrus.

MF- Creamy light bodied ale with a moderate level of carbonation. Bitterness is at a moderate level as well.

DB- To me, the hop profile and malt flavors here don't meld amazingly well. It isn't a bad beer but considering how many great IPAs there are out there I wouldn't really see myself getting this one again.

cbutova, Mar 07, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

12oz bottle

A- Pours an orangish golden yellow color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is better than expected. Definitely more malt than I was expecting, but there is also a good dose of fresh citrusy hops as well. This is not a huge IPA in the nose, but it is certainly a very nice, fresh smelling IPA.

T- The taste like the aroma surprised me. There is some sweet malt and caramel up front with the hops coming in next and creating a lingering bitterness in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much from this one going in but I was pleasantly surprised. Not the biggest or brashest IPA on the shelves, but this one is a well-crafted IPA in it's own right that is definitely worth a try.

cjgator3, Mar 03, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -34%

APPEARANCE: Its a good looking beer with a very warm, hazy, medium amber hue. There's a decent head even though it's pretty heavily carbonated and has a high ABV.

SMELL: Very light, almost odorless. Though there is a slight, clean whiff of earthy hops.

TASTE: It's a very average IPA without a lot of character. You'll pick up some piney notes on the finish, but it's not as hoppy as you'd expect from an IPA. I've read several reviews that mentioned caramel as a dominant taste. I didn't really get that. For me, I found it really lacking for any distinctive taste at all.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied with high(ish) carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: It's easy to drink because it doesn't really taste like anything. There's very little bite, considering the high ABV for an IPA.

SERVING TYPE: Cask

VERDICT: I really wanted to like this beer. I enjoy Peak's nut brown ale quite a bit. And while I'm not really all that earthy-crunchy, I can get behind organic beers ... if they're good. Until they rework the recipe, I don't really need to drink this again.

Imbibed At:
Julian's Providence, 318 Broadway, Providence, RI |401-861-1770 | http://www.juliansprovidence.com/

Cheers,
John Harvey
Dirtybeerguy.com

DirtybeerguyRI, Mar 02, 2011

Super fresh best before June 2011, pours a slightly hazed copper golden hue with a bright white head billowing above the edge of my imperial pint, fine speckled lacing left behind. Aroma soapy citrus somewhat medicinal like smelling a bag of hop pellets. Flavor is more bitter than anything else, some light sweetness initially with a rush of hop pellets coating your teeth. This beer just blasts hop bitterness without much hop flavor maybe a hint of citrus cleaning products and raw herbaceous bitterness. No balance equates to sucking on a hop pellet which equates to a poorly executed IPA. Mouthfeel light to medium bodied sturdy carbonation, hop resins simply stick to the palate makes you want to brush your teeth and rinse you mouth out. Drinkability is nearly a drain pour a good bit of alcohol at 7.1 % abv is at least well hidden, but the one sided hops displayed mean these people just don't understand the style. If you gotta go organic, I guess you can drink this stuff but I won't be revisiting.

WVbeergeek, Feb 25, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

A: The beer is hazy orange in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that slowly fades away into delicate lacing.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of citrusy hops in the nose; the smells of grapefruit and oranges stand out in particular. There are some hints of caramel malts.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell with lots of flavors of citrusy hops but these are only accompanied by a mild amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and slightly crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is surprisingly very easy to drink considering its strength and the amount of hop flavors because the alcohol is well hidden from the taste and the low amount of bitterness makes it quite drinkable.

metter98, Feb 17, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Nice clear golden copper color, enjoyed the full inch of head. Nice for the style.

S - Smells of piney hops slight gram cracker malt and sweet caramel base.

T - More hop forward than expected, kind of borderline bitter grapefruit with little malt base to handle. Kind of unbalanced but since drinking Ruination from stone it just seem to be hop good. Still very bitter.

M - Medium bodied, drank rather well for a more ABV based IPA.

D - Not something I would avoid if in a variety case, but not balanced enough to be one of my top IPA's. Still very drinkable and hoppy!

DrDemento456, Feb 14, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Hazy orange-gold with no head whatsoever, just a ring of carbonatiuon around the edge.

The smell is slightly floral hops, but it has an off-putting combination of dish soap and an unripe pear.

Again, unripe white fruits are in the flavor, both apple and pear. It's moderately bitter.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability is good. The light body and good mouthfeel make it easy to swallow, it's just not that interesting.

Vonerichs, Feb 13, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - super clear light amber; good sized head; good lacing

S - earthy notes combined with hoppy overtones -- kinda English-smelling -- Fuggles perhaps? (ed - NOPE!)

T - definitely tastes more like a pale ale on the malty side than an IPA -- an American one at that; very inoffensive to the palate -- perhaps a little unadventurous, like my word choice

M - crisp and clean with a pretty high carbonation level for an IPA

D - super smooth, but not what I go for in an IPA -- bit too malty and subdued for me; still not a bad beer by any means and hides its 7.2% well, plus the organic thing helps ease the load of my human guilt

vapodge, Feb 13, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

This is a pretty good looking IPA. It pours a hazy red-straw colour with obvious apparent carbonation and two fingers of head. Retention is below average, but lacing is great. The smell consists of floral and citrus hops, with some sweet and toasty malts in the back. The taste is very smooth floral hops on the tongue immediately, they gain some spiky edges as the more citrus aspects come in. There's some faint toasted malts in the back keeping it all together. The finish is slightly bitter and very drying. Solid, if unremarkable.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth, and highly carbonated. The drinkability is also fairly good, the ABV is completely masked. A solid beer that could be absolutely great if you care about organics. Worth a try.

shand, Feb 11, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

#86. Another selection by Peak Organic that was found at my local grocer. Price is on the high side ($9.99/Sixer) and doesn't fluctuate. Believe me, I've checked multiple times. Perhaps that price might account for some above average quality. The 7.1% ABV is a pretty interesting note about this beer... other than its organic qualities, whatever they may be within this beer.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a foam/fizz hybrid cream color head which has about average retention. It's super bubbly in the center and thick and lumpy at the edges, which is really interesting. Some lacing is evident through the drink, but it doesn't stick around for long. Color is a deep gold/medium amber shade with some really significant haziness to it. Carbonation is also on high. This beer happens to hold a pretty impressive look, keeping the head quality up despite the higher ABV and a curious but full content underneath. It's impressive. 4

(Smell) Some very clean hops are the dominant aroma here... wonderful! It really captivates the nose, but overshadows most other aromas that this beer could give off. Hops are mostly floral and light, but I also pick up an occasional strong smell of a perfume-like aroma, which I do not often detect. From whiff to whiff a touch of sweet malt and some low acid fruit breaks through. I'm impressed with both the hop quality (which smells fresh and abundant) as well as the potency of the brew in general, which also rose above expectations. Ultimately the smell is quite appealing. 4

(Taste) Wow. Appearances, and even smells can be deceiving. The hop character changes hands within the first sip to leaving behind, not a floral, but a piney taste (quite bitter) but unfortunately little hop flavor beyond, leaving instead room for a malt arrangement to come in. The fruits that I was hoping would fare well in the taste have also taken a back seat to the pine and malt and are hardly noticeable. The balance of hops to malt is almost perfect, but there is a certain character missing from this IPA that impacts it; I'm certain it has to do with the hops, which are high on bitterness and aroma but low on flavor or presence. Could have been just from the cascade hops which give the citrus aroma off. If so, this beer really just needs some more flavoring hops for balance and presence and it'll be A-OK. The bitterness does well to offset the sweet flavor the distinct malt brings, but there's still significant flavor potential absent and it just shouldn't be. Still nice, but needs some fine tuning to become a top-notch IPA. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) A very slight crisp front precedes this beer's thicker, chewy texture. Body is about a light/medium, mostly added by the hop presence and a malty core. Slightly thin without getting watery. It's got a definite dry finish from the hops which show little mercy on the palate. In fact, it may be a bit too much, but it doesn't make it too hard to drink. 3.5

(Drinkability) It is a filling IPA and with an ABV of over 7% only a few more of these would be necessary for a full night's share. However, it is worthy to note that I found this IPA in the better half of ones I have had for having a bigger hop presence and more bold flavor. Considering I find too many beers lacking in the hop category especially when they need them, I am pleased to note that this one delivers. I'm going to have to consider a sixer in the future. And for a $10 a sixer that's saying something. 4.5

Verdict: This beer does really well and may likely be my favorite of a small "organic" series I have sampled in the last month. It doesn't hold back on the hops, giving the beer its tasty bitterness but I needed more flavor and the fruit presence teasing me from the nose just didn't come through like I had hoped. Regardless, everything else is just right and this beer makes one fine IPA. I'm really glad I finally found something decent this week. This bottle's worth the two bucks. B+ (3.8)

Jadjunk, Feb 08, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Light Amber pour with a light fluffy white head. Aroma is stick sweet malt with a touch of grain and light, floral hops. Pine sap makes an appearance as well. Flavor is bland at first, but sweet maltiness edges in in the center, a bit bready. Finishes up with a strikingly bitter, but a tad soapy finish. This is almost really good. But it settles for being decent.

CuriousMonk, Feb 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a white fizzy 1.5 finger head that fades semi slowly over slightly hazy golden orange color.

Nose had some light hops, bit of herbal and grassy but mostly just hop. A light brady malt aromas under that hint of sweet malts, it gives me the feel its not so fresh despite the drink before being next month.

Taste start with some bitter herbal almost UK style hop flavors, semi bitter with a bit of a bitter spicy hip bite, some malts under that giving a bit of sweetness and little bready. A light fruit as well. Finish brings more bitterness as it dries a bit with some lingering herbal hops, a bit of fruit and slight pricy like hop flavor.

Mouth is med to a little lighter bodied with decent carbonation.

Drink is decent, bit of malty back bone giving it balance but a decent hop bitterness.

jlindros, Jan 27, 2011

Reviewed from some notes. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear burnt straw color with about a finger of fluffy white head and it settles down to a small layer of foam. Real grassy aroma with a touch of candied grapefruit rind. The aroma is real sweet and deep with a nice hop balance. Overall though, it's a bit on the sweet side. The flavor follows the nose pretty well. The beer is kind of sweet with a candied grapefruit and finishes nicely with a piney hop flavor. This has a pretty nice noticeable malt backbone to this. Nice medium body on the feel with good soft carbonation. I grabbed this out of the variety pack. I loved the whole thing but this one was really the star. Call me a homer, but I dig this brewery.

Bendurgin, Jan 24, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

I purchased a sixer of this beer at my local Harris Teeter with almost zero expectations. Honestly, I felt the biggest score of the night was finding one last bomber of SN Celebration Ale at the back of the shelf; this one was merely my thumbs-up to the environment.

Poured much like every other good IPA I've consumed: Sufficient lacing, golden-amber hue, a persistent head that receded with delicacy and delay...but I like that.

My olfactory receptors were quite confused with the aroma of this brew, but this worked in its favor: I couldn't really tell if one strain of hop was out-working the other two, and I liked the balance that this helped the beer achieve.

The taste embodied the tri-hop combo the beer was working with well: Simcoe, Amarillo, and Nugget. Very delicious. I especially liked the sweetness that the Simcoe provided. I'm biased though, as this is my favorite style of hop.

Good amount of carbonation. Reminded me a lot of Bell's Two-Hearted as far as smoothness and carbonation are concerned.

I drank three of these tonight, and could have easily had more if my friend whom I split the sixer with had offered them to me. As it stands, I got to enjoy thirty-six ounces of a damn good, and organic, IPA.

Chadpaq, Jan 03, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured a bottle into my big-ass snifter and got a short and quick dying, bright off-white collar. The lacing is thin at best, but I don't trust this glass. The beer pours a beautiful bright hazy-orange that is more opaque than it appears in the bottle.

The nose is full of subdued tangerine and lemon with floral and pine notes underneath. Behind the plentiful hop aroma is a nice toasted malt scent.

The nose is backed up by the flavor. The hops don't hit right away, but they kick in very shortly thereafter. Really well balanced. There is a strong malt backbone here that I didn't expect coming from an organic beer. That being said, the hops are definitely the highlight of this beer.

I mentioned the balance already, but am very pleased with the near perfect execution of hops/malt/alcohol. I do not find this 7.1% IPA to be boozy at all, and the carbonation level is perfect for me. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the six pack.

PS - drank a "best by" 2/2011 on 12/21/2010.

ptra1004, Dec 22, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

With the high ABV (over 7), I was expecting a big hop presence. The smell is also heavy with citrus and floral notes. Then I tasted it. It's very malty...too sweet for my liking. This IPA drinks more like a weak amber ale. I also get a bad after taste...almost like dirty water. It's nice that it's organic, but this just doesn't cut it as an IPA. I've had it and now it's off my list.

cbak999, Dec 17, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

This is an interesting choice, I went for it because it was organic, had a high ABV and was cheap ($6 for a pint glass).

This is a very average IPA, not overly bitter, I wasn't too impressed. It's a fine drink; I like the idea of organic beer, so I am rooting for Peak, but this IPA can't compete with the leaders on the market.

So if you're feeling green, give it a shot; if not, I suggest you fine one of the many other fine American IPAs.

mgoblue5743, Oct 19, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a two finger off-white head that fades slowly to a ring leaving a good lace. Hazy red/amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Light piney hop nose. Flavor is mostly piney hops but some caramel shows up. Bitter finish. $1.80 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

jdhilt, Sep 14, 2010
3.59/5  rDev -3.2%

An amber beer with a good amount of clarity. The aroma is a little hoppy and dry.

The taste, good, but damn, the diacetyl seems to be there, a twangy buttery taste is around, it isn't all that bad. I could do without it, but its not horrible, I doubt it was intended. Just gives it a slippery aftertaste. Once you get passed that aspect of it, (or actually its before that), there is a decent hop bill here, tastes like cascades, grapefruit kinda citrus. Malt bill is a little understated, leaving a sizeable dose of bitterness. Hides the 7+% alcohol nicely.

Price was nice, $6.99 I believe at Whole Foods Berkeley, CA.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 21, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

Had at Againn Pub in Rockville, MD.

A: Poured into an English pint. Light hazelnut brown with more than a finger of slightly off-white head.

S: Relatively subdued hops with some malty sweetness and creaminess.

T/M: Again, relatively subdued. Hops are the most prominent but obtain a slightly buttery taste and texture. Somewhat sweet malts are rounded out with citrus and herbal flavors. Medium body with lower carbonation.

D: Great relaxing IPA. Hops are not in-your-face like many American IPAs. Good buttery texture evens it out nicely.

thekanna, Aug 14, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Picked up at Harris Teeter in Morrisville on my way home from work today with some ingredients for my beef vindaloo. Looks really good in the mug with a cloudy, tawny orange and a monstrous cream colored head. Nose is spicy pine and briny citrus. Fresh and tasty.

Not overpowering but satisfying in a workmanlike way that stays with the entire sip to a clean finish. Also, for 7.2 abv, it could pass for much less. Well balanced, measured hop assault, and smooth texture. Very little not to like. Not amazing. but this exceeded my expectations.

daliandragon, Aug 11, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at the Porter in Atlanta.

Pours a clear copper color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet caramel malts with good amounts of citrus hops and lighter amounts of buttery diacetyl. As it warms hints of herbal hop aromas waft out.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth caramel malt flavors with mild diacetyl flavors kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are solid amounts of citrus flavors with hints of earthiness. The hops carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this was a solid IPA that leaned heavily toward the Northeast with the addition of diacetyl. Worth a shot if you're a fan of this sub-set but even if you're not it's not worth avoiding.

glid02, Aug 05, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

12oz bottle from a 12-bottle sampler pack, $14.49 at the Lebanon Co-op grocery. Twist-off cap, label notched as best by November 2010. Poured cold into a chilled pint glass.

A: Semi-turbid golden-amber brew generates a half inch of light tan foam that settles to a wispy single layer. A thick meniscus of foam around the edge leaves some nice webs of lace.

S: Very malt-forward (almost like a red ale), a bit of sticky sweetness, caramel, earth, florals, dried hay. Barely any hops detected (?!).

T/M: Great thick and creamy malt backbone is more felt than tasted. Hops are rich and very tasty, even if they are a bit subtle for the style. Nicely balanced. Tangerine and grass hops backed by a near-perfect rounded body of malts and sweetness. Finishes smooth and clean, not much lingering hop.

D: Insanely drinkable. Viscous and smooth without being thick and filling. Hops are full and flavorful without being kick-you-in-the-face bitter. This could just as easily be chugged as it can be savored. There's enough complexity and balance for a beer snob to appreciate, and also refreshing and easy-drinking enough for a noob to like also. I can see this appealing to just about anyone.

Even though the smell leaves a bit to be desired, overall I'm really impressed. Very tasty, highly recommended.

BeerNinja007, Jul 13, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked up in SF CA. Poured from a 12 ounce brown bottle in to a standard pint glass. Produced a good sized head, but it didnt stay around that long. The beer is a wonderful brownish copper with tinny little bubbles. The smell is just about the best part of this beer, it smells great. Apricots and peaches are right up front, but they dont smell to sweet. Then i get a little bit of fresh made caramel and a sprinkle of ginger. Yeah sounds good huh, well it really does smell that good. I was expecting a lot from the taste after i smelled this beer. And the beer sorta kinda delivered on taste. Its a well balanced citrus-e hoppy brew that hides the abv pretty well. The mouth feel is dry which is surprising.The drink-ability is pretty high considering how high the abv is, and considering that its an IPA. For me IPAs are sippers but i could chug this if need be. Over all a very solid beer that i would come back to again.

trygger87, Jul 07, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

rather dark for an ipa, produces a decent sized egg-nog colored head that laces well and lasts a while.

very faint aroma is of butterscotch, toffee and caramel as well as some earthy hoppiness, some bitter citrus and some booze.

taste is barely better than the aroma, but again, malt heavy at first. toffee, caramelly malts are sweet and sticky and barely give way to a bit of bitter and fruity hops and some earthy/floral hops come through in the aftertaste, which also has a bit of a burn.

medium bodied brew with a lot, perhaps too much, carbonation. oily and sticky feeling left in the mouth.

drinks ok. a bit too sweet and I'm not that big a fan of the hop profile either. Boozy as well. not my favorite IPA. Nothing is gross here, but nothing is exactly appetizing either. I'll pass unless its offered to me for free.

silentjay, Jun 27, 2010