Peak Organic Winter Session Ale - Peak Organic Brewing Company

good

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

This winter wheat beer uses dark malting to provide subtle toasty notes. We then single-hop and dry-hop this beer with Citra hops from our friend Brad’s farm. Interesting pineapple notes from the Citra hop provide a stark contrast to the toasty notes in the body. An engaging and sessionable Winter Seasonal.

(Beer added by: obireidkenobi on 11-05-2010)
Reviews by JmBrkr:

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass a clear amber/brown with a frothy one finger white head atop,I expected some haze with this being a wheat ale.The citra hops come thru nicely giving some piney and citric notes mixed with molasses,a nice mix.A little thin in the feel it seems to take a little away from some flavor depth.The cita hops play arole on the palate giving off some grapefruit qualities and there is some raw nuttiness as well but again that thinner feel stops the complexities in their tracks.This is close to being good but the malt bill needs to be bumped up a little.

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Best enjoyed by June 2012.
Mahogany color, small tan head. A small amount of lace.

Caramel malt aroma. Herbal and citrus.

More of a butterscotch taste. Piney hops with a bit of grapefruit. Taste rather tepid.

Pleasant enough, but kind of a "meh" beer. Definitely a sessionable beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Shared a bottle with my wife.

Poured into my Allagash Tulip

The beer is an amber color with a very frothy head. The head stays thick with medium bubbles and laces well.

The aroma is pleasant, especially for a winter brew, refreshing floral and citrus hops. The hops almost create a spiciness.

The beer starts with a mouth full of carbonation. The carbonation subsides and leaves a stickiness on the tongue. The flavor starts sweet and quickly becomes a mix of tart and almost acid flavor. At the very end I get some roasted flavors mixed with the hop bitterness.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a tulip. Best before June 2014 notched on the label.

Pours a very clear deep bronze/ brown color. Small amount of off white head from the pour, but what's there seems to retain nicely. Decent lacing as well.

Strange aroma, almost smells a bit off. Maybe it's the toasted wheat, it definatly has a toasted aroma. Nutty cardboard?

A much cleaner taste, light toast notes broke up by some dry citrusy hop bitterness. As it warms hints of a dry tropical fruity hop. Finishes with a clean, light bitterness.

Light and drinkable.

Definatly sessionable and a clean beer. That's really all I can say about this beer. As a true beer geek, this is not something I would seek out.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at the Whole Foods in West Hollywood. Pours lookin' a little bit dark orange, decent head formed. Lace was worthy.

Aroma was even better, cascade and chinook hop feel to it, big hop nose up in here. Taste came across as a great idea in the winter, sometimes you just want a refreshing, hoppy, sessionable pale ale. Didn't really pick up much on the wheat aspect of it, definitely not 'dark' wheat or like any dunkels I've ever had. Really came across like a pale ale.

Good mouthfeel of caramel and cascade through and through. Nice on the wallet, Whole Foods found a nice exclusive contract on this one methinks.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle dated best by June 2013. Pours a deep brown color with a tan head that had good retention an left plenty of attractive lacing.
Smells more like a lager than a dark wheat, with more spicy hops than expected. The hops also out weigh the malts in tasting, although there is a solid malt base and enough malts to keep the beer just mildly bitter even in the finish.
Nice mouthfeel, with somewhat crisp carbonation and a medium body.

Enjoyable session beer, but not particularly a "winter" ale.

3.35/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Best by June 2013.

A: Pours a clear ruby with a 1.5 finger mostly white head.

S: Can get the wheat background with a spicy hop. Pretty funky aroma going on here almost like a moldy wet old sock.

T: Fairly balanced taste here, good wheat malts and I like the spice from the hop. Certainly sessionable and fitting for the winter.

M: Light bodied with average carbonation. Good clean body, smooth drinking.

Overall not a bad seasonal beer, interesting just wish the aroma wasnt so off. Maybe blending in some more hops would help.

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - dark brownish amber with a thin lacing of off white head that quickly fades away

S - citrusy, peppery, spicy

T - citrus, caramel, some spicy peppery hops, bitter finish; very very faint black cherry notes and faint medicinal aftertaste

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, crisp

This is my first Dark Wheat Ale. I didn't really know what to expect. This was surprisingly hoppy and flavorful. It has surprising depth for a wheat ale. This isn't at all a bad beer. I could definitely drink a lot of these. It's also a nice change of pace from the other heavy or over-spiced winter offerings.

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I want to like this beer. I love interesting session-strength beers and at 5% with dark wheat a 60+IBUs, this more than qualifies. However, as soon as I poured the beer there was a big, unpleasant tin aroma and flavor masking the actual beer character. I can tell that underneath, there's delicious, juicy citrus hops, butterscotch diacetyl and toasty wheat bread, but I'm totally distracted by this flaw. It begins to fade as the beer warms, but this is unacceptable.

The best before date is May, 2011, so it seems like something went wrong in production and bottling. I like the idea and basis for this beer that I'll try it again. I sincerely hope it gets better.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle poured into my brand new Peak Organic shaker pint glass (I was told it's a true 16 oz glass, but I havent checked yet).

A -- nice clear dark caramel color with a small white head.

N -- big piny, resiny nose with some orange peel and nice caramelly, toasty background.

T -- again, nice hoppy, piny taste from citra hops. this also adds a good spicy character, but its a hop spice not a spice spice, if that makes sense. I get a toasted marshmallow taste on the back, which makes this a great winter flavor to me. really think the taste stands out on this one.

M -- average mouthfeel, nothing special to report. no problems with it.

O -- I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had no idea what to expect, and I usually don't think of hoppy wheat ales when I think of winter brews. I could definitely drink these throughout the course of a holiday party or a winter camping trip for several hours. Really good quality.

Cheers (and have a safe winter!)!

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Twist Off Bottle - Expiration Date: JUNE 2011

APPEARANCE: Filtered crystal clear with a dark amber color, similar to a brown ale.
SMELL: Hops at the front. Malty sweetness. Woody/Oak notes with nutty qualities.
TASTE: malty with light sweet flavor.
MOUTHFEEL: Nice, rich with good body.
DRINKABILITY: a little heavy, but enjoyable.

This is my second attempt at trying the Peak Organic Winter Session Ale. My first beer turned out skunky, so I decided that it may not be the best one to review. I was reluctant to have another as my first experience wasn't too pleasant.

Overall, I found that the beer was pretty good. It's drinkable, but a little on the heavy side, so I felt that drinking more than one consecutively would not be enjoyable. I'm also not keen on the malty/nutty flavor that these brown ales tend to have. The mouthfeel is pretty nice. It's rich texture is nice and the carbonation is pretty light.

GRADE: B-

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into my mug, Winter Session Ale reveals a dark copper colored body with a frothy and sticky cream colored head.

Aroma was a pleasant and slightly pungent hoppiness, characterized by the citrus notes and paired with a biscuity malt aroma.

First taste matches well with the aroma, with the malt being slightly stronger than it was in the aroma, giving this a more balance profile. Plenty of citrusy and even some pineapple notes as the carton suggests but also plenty of toasted bread and biscuity malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but at 5% abv, this is understandable. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this brew, as I quite enjoy hoppy wheat beers. I enjoy Peak Organic for their simply but solid representations of various styles and beers like this might make me consider them more often.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

I missed most of the seasonals this winter as I was busy hustling and spending my meager finances on the wife and kids. This is a pleasant find at the end of the winter. A clear light brown fluid with a smallish off white head. It recedes after a moment and there is a good amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is buttery with a roasted graininess and a mild hop blend of earth and light citrus. Taste is quite nice with a malty front of lightly sweet bread and maybe a touch of dark roasted wheat with butter. Finish is dry with a firm hop bitterness both earthy and citrus. Nice weight. Enough heft for the winter while not being heavy and with a lovely light, smooth carbonation. I went through my bottle quickly and since this is a session ale that would be appropriate. Nice winter session ale indeed.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a brown color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is hops, some spice and malts. Taste is good, some hoppy bitterness up front followed by toasted malts, a touch of wheat. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality beer.

Peak Organic Winter Session Ale from Peak Organic Brewing Company