Peak Organic Winter Session Ale - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: obireidkenobi on 11-05-2010

This winter wheat beer uses dark malting to provide subtle toasty notes. We then single-hop and dry-hop this beer with Citra hops from our friend Brad’s farm. Interesting pineapple notes from the Citra hop provide a stark contrast to the toasty notes in the body. An engaging and sessionable Winter Seasonal.

Ratings: 224 | Reviews: 90
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into my mug, Winter Session Ale reveals a dark copper colored body with a frothy and sticky cream colored head.

Aroma was a pleasant and slightly pungent hoppiness, characterized by the citrus notes and paired with a biscuity malt aroma.

First taste matches well with the aroma, with the malt being slightly stronger than it was in the aroma, giving this a more balance profile. Plenty of citrusy and even some pineapple notes as the carton suggests but also plenty of toasted bread and biscuity malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but at 5% abv, this is understandable. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this brew, as I quite enjoy hoppy wheat beers. I enjoy Peak Organic for their simply but solid representations of various styles and beers like this might make me consider them more often.

3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

Into a pint glass:

A: amber colored body with a big frothy head, clingy lacing

S: pine, chocolate underneath but extremely subdued

T: bitter through the pine

M: medium, sticky all around and in the aftertaste and finish

O: uh, just average, probably won't seek it out again

3.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Real Ale snifter.

A: Clear brown color with amber hues. Aggressive center pour leads to a 1 finger off white head that fades slowly into a tiny ring. Lacing is spotty but sticky.

S: Hops hit first which is quite a present surprise. Hits almost like a black IPA. Malts and spices come in second but are quite subdued compared to the hoppy overtones.

T: Follows the nose with the hops being a touch more subdued and the malts standing out a bit more. Spices are present but subdued as well.

M: Thin and a touch undercarbonated. Lowlight of the beer.

O: A good winter session beer. Could definitely drink a few of these.

4.26/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Brown, with a hint of ruby red, pours a thin head.

Aroma: Interesting! Rather strong toffee/caramel, with some fresh fruitiness — presumably due to the wheat and Citra hops — and a hint of hops. Delicious aroma!

Taste: Not as sweet or candy-like as you might expect from the aroma, but the toffee/caramel characteristics are certainly there. Initially the taste is almost disappointing, because it doesn’t compare with the aroma, but it’s the aftertaste that counts here, and the sweet notes linger at the back of the tongue. The wheat and fruity notes are quite masked, but the beer has a certain freshness to it, which is peculiar when combined with the toasty sweetness. Good stuff, but it could use a bit more depth.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nice and round.

Overall: I’ve had one or two brews by Peak Organic at pubs in the US, but I haven’t formed a clear impression of them yet. They have some very interesting sounding beers, and I do hope to get my hands on more; this one is promising.

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a wheat glass.

Appearance: Pours a clean, clear rusty brown with a one-inch white head that sticks around for a while before fading. Carbonation heavy, lacing heavy.

Aroma: This beer is all wheat and hops. It has a very dense, wheat-malty aroma that gives the impression the taste will be flavorful and toasty. Also some pretty good hop bite in the nose.

Taste: Dark, malted wheat dominates the flavor, while there's also a lot of hop bitterness along with pine and grapefruit. Some toast in there as well. Kind of surprised to see the IBUs clock in at 60+, but they do seem higher than average.

Mouthfeel: This is moderate-bodied but not heavy.

Overall: It's an enjoyable wintery wheat beer. A nice break from the stouts and porters that dominate the winter seasonals. Also a nice nod to the fact that organic beer can also be good beer; if you blinded tasted this with someone, there's no way they would guess it was an organic or health-conscious beer style.

A: Deep copper ale with frothy off white head that fades slowly. light lacing on the glass.

S: Balanced aroma of citrusy hops, toasted wheat and some carmel sweetness.

T: Bready malt upfront with blasts of tangy wheat. Light carmel sweetness any nutty notes leads to nice hoppy finishes with hints of lemon zest.

M: Light to medium body, crisply carbonated.

D: This beer was a pleasant suprise. I'm not sure if its fully representative of the style, but still an interesting and tasty brew. I will definitely grab this one again.

4.69/5  rDev +27.8%

Citrus hops and a nutty brown malt smell. Nice hop crisp and the nutty flavor and citrus herbal hop bitterness melding together in the rest of the sip. Very nice. Its slightly sweet but the bitterness from the Citra hop they use really lasts.

This is borderline IPA in my opinion. Especially with the lingering bitterness and the point they make to say that they exclusively use the Citra hop in the process of brewing it. I also try to eat all organic as well so this beer is a huge plus for me and I may be a bit biased but I can't help but say this beer is great.

The nutty malt which is almost like peanuts and the bright citrus herbal hop combination is a bit different so it definitely gives a unique taste but it still stands out as a unique must try beer in my opinion.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours deep mahogany, frothy white head.

S: Hint of juicy hops, herbal/grassy characteristics, nutty malt. Nose is pretty bright, some different fruits popping in and out.

T/M/D: Hops up front. Pears and oranges rolling into dark roasty malts. A pleasant contrast between some simple flavors. Each aspect is subtle, and the mouthfeel is light, bordering on watery. Finish is squeaky clean, drinkability is excellent.

Another solid Peak Organic offering.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Bright amber color with a white moderate head.

S- Citric hops dominate the aromatics.

T- Mostly hop flavors here: Fir bud resin, pineapple. Way back behind the hops bitterness is some maltiness.

M, D- Straightforward, medium-light. Not quite enough substance to inspire drinking.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

I picked up a 6 pack of Winter Session on a whim; I'd never heard of the brewery before but the description on the packaging intrigued me and I decided to give it a shot. Glad I did.
This beer pours with very little head. It's a deep reddish brown color, and very clear- a deceiving appearance for the smells I detect. The first scent that comes to mind is that of peaches, followed by floral hops and traces of wood. It's a wonderful combination that immediately brings to mind the smells of winter thawing and giving way to spring.
Winter Session has a curious mouthfeel- light and watery initially, but it finishes feeling slightly creamy. The taste is just as complex; initially sweet and smokey, but quickly the qualities of a pale ale take over- hoppy bitterness, while the smokiness remains throughout. The beer leaves a pleasant aftertaste- coffee, malt, and chocolate all come to mind.
Overall I really enjoyed this beer. Definitely lives up to the "Session" part of its name as you can enjoy several of these without feeling a major buzz, and I highly recommend this one on a cold winter night if you'd like to remember that warmer weather is just around the corner.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip from the 12 ounce bottle.

Appearance - a sort o rusty mahogany color, a little hazy. Kind of a "clumpy: head that broke up into little rafts. Pretty good amount of lacing as it was consumed. Bubbles were on the lively side...

The aroma was good - a lot of pineapple up front. The malts - detectable in the nose, some sweetness, a little hoppiness and faintly "earthy". Wheat presence noted.

Taste - nice pineapple notes, the malt is solid, bready, wheaty, toasty flavors. Some bitter bite on the back end, a bit of resin/pine, and I did find it have that earthy quality.

The mouthfeel I did not enjoy. It seemed quite thin and a bit more carbonated than expected.

Overall - unsure. Flavors good, aroma good, balanced, easy drinking. Just watery. I keepw anting to like Peak because I like what they are doing, but they remain a little hit-or-miss for me. This was close to a solid score except for the mouthfeel.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle poured into my brand new Peak Organic shaker pint glass (I was told it's a true 16 oz glass, but I havent checked yet).

A -- nice clear dark caramel color with a small white head.

N -- big piny, resiny nose with some orange peel and nice caramelly, toasty background.

T -- again, nice hoppy, piny taste from citra hops. this also adds a good spicy character, but its a hop spice not a spice spice, if that makes sense. I get a toasted marshmallow taste on the back, which makes this a great winter flavor to me. really think the taste stands out on this one.

M -- average mouthfeel, nothing special to report. no problems with it.

O -- I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had no idea what to expect, and I usually don't think of hoppy wheat ales when I think of winter brews. I could definitely drink these throughout the course of a holiday party or a winter camping trip for several hours. Really good quality.

Cheers (and have a safe winter!)!

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

A nice bright amber with an off white head that doesn't hang around. It's got a nice hop nose; piney, citrusy. The taste falls short a quick hop blast falls into a garlicky middle and then fades into cloying wheaty finish. It goes down smooth and would be easy to drink a couple.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a reddish brown. Smells earthy, dirt, and pine. Tastes bitter but smooth.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not very exciting beer style to begin with but this just dull and rusty.

Red amber no head some carbonation

faint spice not much going on

dull light maltiness but not enough for a winter warmer

feel overcarbonated bit rough afterward

boring beer don't waste your time

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked up six pack at Hannafords 11.99 in south Portland.

A - Poured two into my 27 ounce beer mug, resulting in a one finger tan almost coffee ish fluffy head dissapated in a few minutes to a nice cap with some early signs of lacing. color is a translucent brown with amber hue.

S - Nose is toasted malt and cereal with a bright fresh citrus hop aroma. slight woody notes with a hint of smoke.

T - very tasty and balanced. Nice malt taste up front, the character carries over from the smell with a nice slightly toasty malt and cereal with a woody nuttiness, nicely hopped with ample citrus flavor to balance out the malts, the bittering hops provide a delightfully dry finish.

M - very nice light mouthfeel the lends to the drinkability, as I would expect from a wheat ale. Ample carbonation and dry finish, truly a sessionable winter ale.

O - overall I am very impressed. Very refreshing winter ale, not heavy by any means, not filled with a bunch of spices, doesn't let me down. Sure I do like the heavy winter warmers but i think the winter session ale is a good concept, and this example is well executed.

3.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Twist Off Bottle - Expiration Date: JUNE 2011

APPEARANCE: Filtered crystal clear with a dark amber color, similar to a brown ale.
SMELL: Hops at the front. Malty sweetness. Woody/Oak notes with nutty qualities.
TASTE: malty with light sweet flavor.
MOUTHFEEL: Nice, rich with good body.
DRINKABILITY: a little heavy, but enjoyable.

This is my second attempt at trying the Peak Organic Winter Session Ale. My first beer turned out skunky, so I decided that it may not be the best one to review. I was reluctant to have another as my first experience wasn't too pleasant.

Overall, I found that the beer was pretty good. It's drinkable, but a little on the heavy side, so I felt that drinking more than one consecutively would not be enjoyable. I'm also not keen on the malty/nutty flavor that these brown ales tend to have. The mouthfeel is pretty nice. It's rich texture is nice and the carbonation is pretty light.

GRADE: B-

2.64/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a dark amber almost brown. Some off white head. Smell has a noticible amount of hops with some biscuity malt. Taste has a nice hopiness initially followed by an off putting buttery, diacityl flavor. Finish leaves you with that butteriness clinging to your palate. Not pleasant at all. This was my second peak organic beer and both have been quite disappointing.

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at at Molly's in Hanover NH. A dark Amber pour with a bit of head that lingers and makes for a decent pattern of lacing. An interesting scent, and I'm not sure what to expect....maltiness? Or Hoppiness? I get both. A unique combo of toasted malt and piney bitterness, with a touch of pineapple fruit. For a session ale, which I often find lacking for flavor, this stood up nicely. I would have liked a bit more carbonation, but overall this was a perfectly decent, and original beer that I would try again.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

really great tasting beer. Nice aroma finish

4.11/5  rDev +12%

Poured into 5oz taster glass til gone..really nice white head with dark brownish color and with a little lacing. Smell is lacking and tastes better than smells . I never had dark wheat before but tastes and looks are great just lacks smell that would balance everything! Tastes malts and light toastyness that is pleasant and a hint of wheat. Mild Carb and easy to drink so I'll have another. I'm sure its old being June but still enjoyed and like organic beer for flavor!

3.59/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was excited to try this from the reviews, but it wasn't my favorite.

The smell was definitely the best part...a very definitive pineapple aroma.
A floral hoppy taste that finishes on the bitter, dry side. Didn't pick up much wheat at all, even though it is classified as a wheat ale.

Overall for my preference, it's not bad for a few sips, but I wouldn't go for it again. And that's only because I'm not crazy about the hops.

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

a- Lovely darkish color with small off white head.

s - Out of this world citrusy/resiny nose.

t- I was ready for an "added spice" bomb, like many winters. But, this one got its spiciness from the citra hop. A nice round caramel malt character fills in too. I like it a lot. Drinkable. This is a winter beer you can enjoy more that one of.

I'll be matching my tastings of other winters to this one.

m - Moderately nice mouthfeel.

o - This is a delicious session beer. I'll buy a case, if it is on sale.

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

This beer is inspired by Peak's Summer Session beer. Winter Session has a lot in common. The flavor profiles are mildly similar.

Pours dark amber, very clear & clarifyed. The smell is most definitely citra hops, with a whiff of dark malts. The flavor follows along with notes of pineapple, citrus. Turns a bit tropical as it warms.

The mouthfeel is soft, most definitely from the wheat. Winter Session is dark without being roasty, flavorful, & easy drinking.

3.39/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: Thin amber brown appearance with very small off-white head.

Smell: Pleasant, sweet malts followed by hops with hints of tropical fruit aromas. Complex and well balanced.

Taste: Sweetness from malts quickly gives way to mildly bitter hops and a hint of yeast. Very slight hint of the tropical fruit aroma more prevalent in the smell.

Feel: Thin, with very low carbonation. Perhaps a tad too thin, as it can feel slightly watery when moving around the mouth.

Overall: A good, but not great, winter session ale. I would get this again, but I don't think I'll actively seek it out in the near future.

Peak Organic Winter Session Ale from Peak Organic Brewing Company