Peak Organic Winter Session Ale - Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: obireidkenobi on 11-05-2010

This winter wheat beer uses dark malting to provide subtle toasty notes. We then single-hop and dry-hop this beer with Citra hops from our friend Brad’s farm. Interesting pineapple notes from the Citra hop provide a stark contrast to the toasty notes in the body. An engaging and sessionable Winter Seasonal.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a dry pale, wheat, crystal malt scent along with a nice bouquet of yeast esters. The taste is decent. It has a bone dry pale, wheat, and crystal malt flavor. It has a light hop character and some excellent yeast notes in the finish. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a very drinkable session ale. It's overly complex, but it does have some interesting yeast character and a touch of hops. (572 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into my mug, Winter Session Ale reveals a dark copper colored body with a frothy and sticky cream colored head.

Aroma was a pleasant and slightly pungent hoppiness, characterized by the citrus notes and paired with a biscuity malt aroma.

First taste matches well with the aroma, with the malt being slightly stronger than it was in the aroma, giving this a more balance profile. Plenty of citrusy and even some pineapple notes as the carton suggests but also plenty of toasted bread and biscuity malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but at 5% abv, this is understandable. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this brew, as I quite enjoy hoppy wheat beers. I enjoy Peak Organic for their simply but solid representations of various styles and beers like this might make me consider them more often. (814 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

a dark end of 10 percent wheat and mostly earthy citrus hops. a tad darker than amber with a nose of pear and raspberry. the beer is simply that with a bitter finish. not something that you can have more than one of in my sense of drinking. one dimensional and simple but there consistent. so it could be a beer to love but is all based on personal (348 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

I picked up a 6 pack of Winter Session on a whim; I'd never heard of the brewery before but the description on the packaging intrigued me and I decided to give it a shot. Glad I did.
This beer pours with very little head. It's a deep reddish brown color, and very clear- a deceiving appearance for the smells I detect. The first scent that comes to mind is that of peaches, followed by floral hops and traces of wood. It's a wonderful combination that immediately brings to mind the smells of winter thawing and giving way to spring.
Winter Session has a curious mouthfeel- light and watery initially, but it finishes feeling slightly creamy. The taste is just as complex; initially sweet and smokey, but quickly the qualities of a pale ale take over- hoppy bitterness, while the smokiness remains throughout. The beer leaves a pleasant aftertaste- coffee, malt, and chocolate all come to mind.
Overall I really enjoyed this beer. Definitely lives up to the "Session" part of its name as you can enjoy several of these without feeling a major buzz, and I highly recommend this one on a cold winter night if you'd like to remember that warmer weather is just around the corner. (1,177 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -13.9%

I have mixed emotions about this beer. I tend to enjoy most winter style beers but this one just tastes a little "off" to me. A lot of the organic style beers (this one included) have more of an earthy taste to them in my opinion, although conversely, this beer seems to lack in the spiciness that I desire with a winter ale. It has a nice subtle caramel and roasted flavor, but it just seems kind of plain to me and lacks a complex flavor dynamic. Average carbonation with a decent head when first poured. Not the best winter beer I've had, but not the worst either. (567 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%

fresh 12 oz bottle into a tumbler. Darkened amber, though very clear. A vigorous pour left me with two fingers of off-white froth.

The nose has a pleasant citra hop bouquet, lending that distinct tropical fruit character that I love. As it warms up the hops take a back seat to a grainy wheat aroma, a touch of buttery diacetyl and a bit of coffee-like roast.

It's watery on the palate, surprisingly so - I've had beers of 3 to 4 % alcohol that had more body. The flavors are decent; citrusy, tropical hops are fairly prominent, and then there's that tinny, metallic yeast character that I've noticed in other Peak beers. The malt profile is bland, thin, bringing only a mild unmalted wheat flavor. The finish is lightly astringent and bitter.

Not a terrible beer on the whole, nor one I'll go out of my way to try again. (824 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Pumking chalice. It poured a dark copper color with a thin and spotty head to it.

The aroma has a bready and sweet flavor to it with wheat, caramel and a little bit of butterscotch coming through. I get a good dose of citrusy, fruity hops coming through as well. It has a hint of spice with a little banana flavor too.

The taste has some of the sweeter wheat malt throughout the flavor. Caramel and toffee come through as you get to the finish. I get a moderate bitterness in the finish as well, but it still on the sweeter side overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability was pretty decent, I liked the sweeter wheat and malty flavors it had. Enjoyable beer overall and a pretty decent winter seasonal as well. (786 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I want to like this beer. I love interesting session-strength beers and at 5% with dark wheat a 60+IBUs, this more than qualifies. However, as soon as I poured the beer there was a big, unpleasant tin aroma and flavor masking the actual beer character. I can tell that underneath, there's delicious, juicy citrus hops, butterscotch diacetyl and toasty wheat bread, but I'm totally distracted by this flaw. It begins to fade as the beer warms, but this is unacceptable.

The best before date is May, 2011, so it seems like something went wrong in production and bottling. I like the idea and basis for this beer that I'll try it again. I sincerely hope it gets better. (667 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

On-tap 12/18/2010 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright reddish brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains wheat, citrus, bananas, dark malts and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a bitter burst of grassy hops bitterness. Then some sweetness from flavors of citrus and caramel comes in. Then some bready flavors of wheat and a hearty malt character bring a good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, this is a very good beer worth drinking for a long time. (806 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"The throat of winter is upon me and the cold will linger in me." - Opeth

Clear hazelnut color with an egg shell white cap. Quickly fades to a thin skim with ample lacey smatterings. Nice color.

Suprise! Aroma is tangerine and pineapple (citra) with some bread crust background. I wasn't expecting so much hop aroma from a winter wheat. Me likey.

Taste is tangerine hops up front with a friendly nuttyness in back. Not much of a malt character beyond that nutty blip and I feel that the hops are trying to cover up that fact - but hey, it's an American wheat.

Peak impresses in a usually unimpressive style. With the light feel and citrus hops this could do as a spring beer as well. (688 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Bright amber color with a white moderate head.

S- Citric hops dominate the aromatics.

T- Mostly hop flavors here: Fir bud resin, pineapple. Way back behind the hops bitterness is some maltiness.

M, D- Straightforward, medium-light. Not quite enough substance to inspire drinking. (286 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a six pack at Table and Vine. The beer has a clear, light amber brown color with patchy lacing on the sides. Great aromas of pine, cloves, citrus, and malts. Light bread flavor with a sweet, malt aftertaste. Really clean finish and crisp mouthfeel. This is a very refreshing beer for me at least. (303 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.4%

This beer is inspired by Peak's Summer Session beer. Winter Session has a lot in common. The flavor profiles are mildly similar.

Pours dark amber, very clear & clarifyed. The smell is most definitely citra hops, with a whiff of dark malts. The flavor follows along with notes of pineapple, citrus. Turns a bit tropical as it warms.

The mouthfeel is soft, most definitely from the wheat. Winter Session is dark without being roasty, flavorful, & easy drinking. (467 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last